Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,326 members, 7,780,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:02 PM

Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! (1259 Views)

'Until I Say Otherwise, There Will Be No Elections' – Tunde Bakare / Power Blocs Backing Buhari –Tunde Bakare / Tunde Bakare Reject Cow From GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by gonzaga: 3:17am On Jul 20, 2011
PASTOR BAKARE HAS LOST IT!

Pastor Tunde Bakare, the fiery Preacher of the Latter Rain Assembly has certainly lost it out this time around! I say this with a very deep sense of responsibility and available facts. I will try my best in this article to outline the reasons I arrived at this incontrovertible conclusion.

I used to be a dedicated fan of the Pastor because of his teachings and fearless pronouncements. In fact, my Dad and I used to look forward to his preaching on Channels Television Station every Sunday evening. Though an Ultra Puritanical Catholic and a Knight, my Dad found reasons to listen to his preaching. He would either wake me up to come or I wake him up once the preaching began. I stated this to indicate the fact that I was once a great fan of the fiery Pastor.

During the SNG ( Save Nigeria Group) days I was glad he was at the fore front. I saw him as the John the Baptist of our time, who was chastising Herod for taking his brother’s wife. I saw him as the conscience of the nation who wanted the National Assembly to obey the constitution and its dictates. I saw him as a righteous man who could not stand evil and the desecration of the constitution in any form by any group. I celebrated him and also prayed for him.

This perception had long changed since the 2011 elections,  and the subsequent utterances of the Pastor. Two recent comments made by the Pastor that relates to Holy Scripture come to bear. It is alleged that the Pastor said that “no son of a bastard can lead the Yoruba race and who ever relies on a bastard to lead him was doomed” and recently, while prophesying that a dictator is coming to fix Nigeria, he was alleged to have  also said that ‘’what is about to happen in the country cannot be prayed or wished away because prayers cannot change prophecy’’. I make bold to say to the Pastor that he had gotten it all wrong with these two assertions. The Holy Scripture is clear and I will crave his indulgence to allow me educate him on the position of the scripture on these two sayings.

Firstly, on the issue of “a bastard leading a people”, I want the Pastor to recall the story of Jephthah in the Old Testament (Judges 11 vs 1-32) . Jephthah was a son of a LovePeddler who was forced to leave home by his brothers when the father died. He was denied his inheritance because he was perceived to be a bastard ( Tunde Bakare would have done same). But when Israel came under immense attack from the Ammonites, it was this same Jephthah that the Lord empowered to deliver his people - Israelites. His brothers that drove him away now sought  after him, begging and pleading with him to come and deliver them. That was a bastard, who led the almighty Israel into victory. Do we still need to believe the pastor that says a bastard cannot lead a people? Let me remind him of the fact that; God writes on crooked lines. He does not choose the “qualified” but “qualifies the chosen”. He can bless and curse at the same time. No mortal man, including Pastor Bakare can interfere with the exclusive preserve of God, which is to choose whom to bless and in what quantity He will bless. Moses was a Stammerer and Aaron was an Orator, but Moses was chosen ahead of Aaron. David was a shepherd boy and Gideon was not only from the weakest clan in Manasseh, but was also the least important member of his family (Judges 6 vs 15). Yet God chose him to lead Israel out of bondage. The Pastor should be a greater authority on the mysteries of God’s ways. But alas! Politics has blinded and deluded our once objective Pastor. He now reads and probably doesn’t understand the scripture.
The second and the most blasphemous of all is his opinion that prayers cannot change prophesy. When I read this, I shuddered in disbelief, as even a Sunday school pupil knows that God’s mercy is beyond human comprehension. I will again assume the role of a teacher in educating the pastor on the teachings of the Bible as regards this issue. In the Old Testament ( 2Kings 20 vs 1-6) God sent Prophet Isaiah son of Amoz to go and tell King Hezekiah that he would die. As soon as Hezekiah heard this prophesy, he turned to the wall and wept. He prayed and begged God to reconsider His stance. Before Isaiah left the palace, God told him to return to the king and tell him that he would no longer die. Instead, 15 additional  years had been added to his life. Is this not a classical example of a prophesy that was changed through prayer and supplication? The Bible is replete with stories of how God changed His mind about Israel each time  they repented and turned from their evil ways. The Pastor in his assertion did not place any pre-conditions. Instead, he stated categorically and emphatically that; ‘’what is about to happen in the country cannot be prayed or wished away because prayers cannot change prophecy’’. This again is so sad and disappointing. The Pastor, since after the general elections (where his party was perceived to have lost out) has dedicated time in mis-quoting the scripture. He spends preaching time trying to either justify electoral violence or talk about the elections. He tries as much as he can to comb the scripture for any little part he can use to achieve a political objective. When he is not doing any of these, he is preaching politics instead of winning souls for God.

Listening to him preach these days makes me sad, as I still remember when he was not yet shackled will this political chains. The pastor is now in bondage and it is the congregation that I pity the most. They constitute his direct constituency and instead of nourishing their souls on Sunday, they are bedeviled with political discussions and empty political prophesies. I doubt if the church members even voted for him in the last election. If Pastor Bakare had said to the General or his Political Boss that I am glad you consider me worthy for this position of a Vice President, but I will rather remain in the Pulpit and the Civil Society, to constructively criticize and nourish souls. If you allow me, I can recommend a few good men whom you can choose from, as I don’t think combining active politics and winning souls can be effectively combined. Moreover, I have not been involved in active politics and so, I don’t have a political followership to bring to the table. But I will support via other means. This being done, I am sure and convinced he would have been a hero today, even after his political party had lost out in the Presidential elections. He would also have done justice to members of his congregation who belong to other political parties. He would have still have had admirers all over the world including my humble self and my 70 years old father. He would have remained a conscience to the nation and a voice to reckon with. But today, anything he says is viewed from the political prism and rightly so.

The lesson in all of this is that; the clergy should try as much as possible not to be drawn into partisan politics. They should remember that the congregation is made up of diverse individuals who come for the sole purpose of soul nourishment. Their political leanings notwithstanding, the church should accommodate all. When the chief shepherd toes a particular political ideology or follows a political party, it is expected that all obedient sheep will follow the voice of the master.  All that acts in the contrary will either be openly segregated or tacitly sidelined. Men of God should remain as so and be the voice of the voiceless and the moral and spiritual barometer of the Society. I can’t Imagine Cardinal Okogie or Pastor Enoch Adeboye going around canvassing for votes! The Pastor can still do a bit of damage control by re-focusing his preaching to dwell on more spiritual things and less political things. As a ‘’believer’’ he should take solace in the fact that all things work together for good for those who love God. After all, it is not compulsory that he must win an election into a political office.
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by Jakumo(m): 5:18am On Jul 20, 2011
Dang, boy, why you hate paragraphs so much ?

I done lost it. Lost it in a sea of your words.
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by nateevs(m): 8:54am On Jul 20, 2011
If Pastor Bakare had said to the General or his Political Boss that I am glad you consider me worthy for this position of a Vice President, but I will rather remain in the Pulpit and the Civil Society, to constructively criticize and nourish souls. If you allow me, I can recommend a few good men whom you can choose from, as I don’t think combining active politics and winning souls can be effectively combined. Moreover, I have not been involved in active politics and so, I don’t have a political followership to bring to the table. But I will support via other means. This being done, I am sure and convinced he would have been a hero today, even after his political party had lost out in the Presidential elections. He would also have done justice to members of his congregation who belong to other political parties. He would have still have had admirers all over the world including my humble self and my 70 years old father. He would have remained a conscience to the nation and a voice to reckon with. But today, anything he says is viewed from the political prism and rightly so.

Well I am not a fan Bakare. I cannot remember being a fan of him ever. However the latter part of your post - quoted above - indicates your real frustration. I think your inability to envisage a politician doubling as a pastor clouds your judgement. Why do you think he cannot lose an election and still be a hero? I was hoping for a conclusion where you plead with him to be gracious in defeat and consider him a hero for trying, instead you chastise him for not just talking the talk but putting himself forward.

Secondly, while I haven't listened to a minute of his post-election teachings, I can tell you it's very easy to pick holes in a Pastor's teaching. I cannot tell you how many times I have disagreed with a Pastor's assertion. That you can do it now may really have nothing to do with post-election trauma. If you listen enough to past teachings, I can assure you to find numerous holes. It's not the elections, he's human. I think you are only disappointed he went into politics.

So has he lost it? Well I think that's a little subjective right now.
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by reindeer: 11:02am On Jul 20, 2011
nateevs:

Well I am not a fan Bakare. I cannot remember being a fan of him ever. However the latter part of your post - quoted above - indicates your real frustration. I think your inability to envisage a politician doubling as a pastor clouds your judgement. Why do you think he cannot lose an election and still be a hero? I was hoping for a conclusion where you plead with him to be gracious in defeat and consider him a hero for trying, instead you chastise him for not just talking the talk but putting himself forward.

Secondly, while I haven't listened to a minute of his post-election teachings, I can tell you it's very easy to pick holes in a Pastor's teaching. I cannot tell you how many times I have disagreed with a Pastor's assertion. That you can do it now may really have nothing to do with post-election trauma. If you listen enough to past teachings, I can assure you to find numerous holes. It's not the elections, he's human. I think you are only disappointed he went into politics.

So has he lost it? Well I think that's a little subjective right now.

Thanks or this! Hope the OP does 2 things, learn to use paragraphs and reappraise his take on the whole thing.
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by Greenpro: 11:12am On Jul 20, 2011
Pastor Bakare need to be careful about his comment.

Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by Mobinga: 11:21am On Jul 20, 2011
Paragraphs.
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by DeepSoul(f): 11:30am On Jul 20, 2011

Your English teacher from primary school should be prosecuted for not teaching you the use of paragraphs!

@Topic:
I was once a huge Tunde Bakare fan as well. But these days mayne! I really do not know! 
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by kcng: 11:50am On Jul 20, 2011
MY PROBLEM IS NOT EVEN IF YOU GIVE PARAGRAPH OR NOT.THAT'S YOUR OWN PALAVA.AS LONG AS I CAN UNDERSTAND WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM.
I'M NOT HERE TO DEFEND PASTOR BAKARE.I'M JUST HERE TO WARN YOU TO REMEMBER TO PUBLICLY ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR MISTAKE AND APOLOGISE WHEN THE PROPHECY COMES TO PASS. FAILURE TO DO THIS,WILL AUTOMATICALLY BRING A CURSE ON YOU.
TAKE MY ADVICE I BEG YOU.
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by toyemz(f): 12:05pm On Jul 20, 2011
@poster
even though i couldn't read all your thread
my head was spinning and eyes hurting
i seem to understand where you are coming from
My advice to you is to stand back and watch( if not you will get frustrated and hurt)
like someone has rightly said when you see a pastor becoming a pastor and a politician,(especially in Nigeria) you know what is coming next
Me i stopped believing when i fully comprehended that the church was classified as a business!
Read your Bible,pray for understand and save your sanity from trying to understand the political justifications of our pastors
They too are answerable to God
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by Xfactoria: 12:36pm On Jul 20, 2011
@ Poster:

Paragraph or not, you have made your point and you have made it clearly. I agree with you that Bakare has lost it.

There is no precedence in the Bible where God instructed a Priest to abandon his flocks and become King (a politician). Even when Israel turned away from God many times in their history, God didn't ask prophets like Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel, Elijah, Elisha and even Samuel to annoint themselves King but instead, warned Israel through them. I have dwelt a lot on the inappropriateness of Bakare's political ambition in many threads on NL.

My prayers for him are that God should have mercy on him and help him retrace his steps. May God not make his stubornness prevent him from genuine repentance of his inconsistencies and the sins associated with them. May God should restore him and save him from self destruction.
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by qualified(f): 1:08pm On Jul 20, 2011
one thing i hate about NL is when one person makes a comment, subsequent comments tow same line.
what s this noise about paragraph?

the poster just said his mind, n some people started teaching us English

GBAM!!! THE MAN HAS LOST IT!!!!!

lets watch and see
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by DeepSoul(f): 4:16pm On Jul 20, 2011
^^ Since the use of proper English is totally unnecessary, did you, my dear friend, read through the whole post?
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by DrummaBoy(m): 5:50pm On Jul 20, 2011
Scripture shows dat prophesies can be averted but atimes God's mind is made up. That is d sort of Bakare's prophesy.
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by DrummaBoy(m): 5:53pm On Jul 20, 2011
The prophesy in itself is good only dat Nigeria wil know tumoil b4 good comes.
Re: Pastor Tunde Bakare Has Lost It! by DrummaBoy(m): 5:59pm On Jul 20, 2011
@OP
Bakare doesn't play to d gallery. If U don't listen to him, know dat Jesus lost disciples too. na today?!

(1) (Reply)

Libyans Killing Nigerians (pics). / Why I Think The New Tenancy Law In Lagos May Be Illegal / List Of African Dictators

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.