Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,213 members, 7,807,732 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage (3827 Views)

Nigeria To Pay New York $1m Parking Fees / Niger State Can’t Pay New Minimum Wage - Governor Aliyu / Policemen To Earn New Wage From October (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by ektbear: 3:56am On Jul 21, 2011
on JULY 21, 2011 · in NEWS

…Orji to prune aides

BY ANAYO OKOLI

Umuahia – ABIA State government, yesterday, expressed doubts over its ability to pay the N18,000 minimum wage to its workers.

This came as Governor Thedore Orji was said to be planning to prune the number of his personal aides.

Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Chief Don Ubani, told journalists, yesterday, that the government would pay the new wage if revenue allocation was adjusted upwards in favour of states and local governments.

Ubani said that Abia State paid N1.8 billion monthly wage bill, out of an average monthly federal allocation of N2.8bn.

He argued that with the new minimum wage, nothing would be left to run the administration.

Ubani said: “If the minimum wage is to be critically implemented, it means that many states, including Abia, would be left with nothing after paying salaries and allowances.

“The idea of the federal government having 52 per cent of the federal distributable revenue is unacceptable.

“That the governors have accepted to pay the N18,000 wage is a sign of good intent, but there is something that is very important: the issue of fiscal federalism should be restored.

“If it is not reviewed, it would leave the states badly handicapped. When the states are financially healthy, there will be peace and stability in the system but if they are sick, there will be crises.”

Ubani, however, noted that Governor Orji was determined to cut down the high cost of governance in the state by reducing the number of his aides.

He said the reduction of the governor’s security vote could only be decided by him, based on the security situation in the state.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/we-cant-pay-new-wage-abia-insists/
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by aljharem3: 3:58am On Jul 21, 2011
op

u are looking trouble grin
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by aljharem3: 3:59am On Jul 21, 2011
not all states can pay. fact even the so called oil states are so called future japan and china states
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by ektbear: 3:59am On Jul 21, 2011
alj_harem:

op

Lol, there is nothing tribal in me posting this article
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by henry101(m): 4:44am On Jul 21, 2011
alj_harem:

op

It's not trouble but it shows how foolish that Orji can be. How can a state that have a big city like Aba still complain about money?
The money coming out from Aba and the state's NDDC allocation is enough to do what is right. Imo state is doing good now because of Rochas determination to put out corruption and remember there is nothing like Aba in Imo state.
Just use the money you have and things will go on well.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by AbuMaryam1(m): 4:49am On Jul 21, 2011
alj_harem:

not all states can pay. fact even the so called oil states are so called future japan and china states
It was some northern governors started saying they can't pay the new minimum wages, their expressions generate a heat debate here, some are of the opinion its due to poverty nature of north that's why they cant afford it. Now that the clock has turn around does that mean northern governors are steadfast compared to their southern counterpart? is just a question, grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by AbuMaryam1(m): 4:59am On Jul 21, 2011
henry101:

It's not trouble but it shows how foolish that Orji can be. How can a state that have a big city like Aba still complain about money?
The money coming out from Aba and the state's NDDC allocation is enough to do what is right. Imo state is doing good now because of Rochas determination to put out corruption and remember there is nothing like Aba in Imo state.
Mhm you done talk your own, if i do not mistaken i think it was Sokoto state follows Lagos interms of IGR what Aba has that's better than Lagos, Kano and Rivers to generate revenue?? but yet they foolish governors (in exception of Lagos) dont want to do the right thing, Well its aloota must continue.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by aljharem3: 5:03am On Jul 21, 2011
Abu-Maryam:

It was some northern governors started saying they can't pay the new minimum wages, their expressions generate a heat debate here, some are of the opinion its due to poverty nature of north that's why they cant afford it. Now that the clock has turn around does that mean northern governors are steadfast compared to their southern counterpart? is just a question,  grin grin grin grin grin

thank you my brother grin grin grin grin grin i just wanted to post that just to show my southern brothers that poverty knows no tribe or ethnic group cool

henry101:

Ha NDDC money is very good but i don't think the money would be alright to pay 18,000 per worker

I might be wrong but the tax gotten from oil companies in Abia state should do the trick

Orji is not doing well at all. Imo state is not bad. Orji needs to learn from Rochas
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by aljharem3: 5:05am On Jul 21, 2011
Abu-Maryam:

Mhm you done talk your own, if i do not mistaken i think it was Sokoto state follows Lagos interms of IGR what Aba has that's better than Lagos, Kano and Rivers to generate revenue?? but yet they foolish governors (in exception of Lagos) dont want to do the right thing, Well its aloota must continue.

well said. I think Rochas is paying the minimum wage

the guy is not bad
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by henry101(m): 5:10am On Jul 21, 2011
I am not saying Abia's IGR is the highest but the state got the money to pay the minimum wage and build the necessary infrastructure through the IGR, Aba, Nddc and Fed allocation.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by AbuMaryam1(m): 5:18am On Jul 21, 2011
henry101:

I am not saying Abia's IGR is the highest but the state got the money to pay the minimum wage and build the necessary infrastructure through the IGR, Aba, Nddc and Fed allocation.
I did not contradict with wat you opined, what i was saying even the big players are not ready to pay, so states like Abia can be fore players to say capital NO!!
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by EzeUche(m): 5:25am On Jul 21, 2011
The OP is looking for trouble. He knows Abia should be of no concern for him.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by ChinenyeN(m): 5:26am On Jul 21, 2011
How many personal aides does one governor need? How much is needed to run an administration? Just one failure after another.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by seanet02: 5:39am On Jul 21, 2011
EzeUche:

The OP is looking for trouble. He knows Abia should be of no concern for him.
so what happened to your "The Naira stops at Fashola"? Hypocrite.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by EzeUche(m): 5:41am On Jul 21, 2011
seanet02:

so what happened to your "The Naira stops at Fashola"?  Hypocrite.

I would think that most people on NL would know my dislike for T.A. Orji already. Tribalist like yourself need to stop irritating me.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by seanet02: 5:56am On Jul 21, 2011
Nope,
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by ChinenyeN(m): 5:56am On Jul 21, 2011
EzeUche:

I would think that most people on NL would know my dislike for T.A. Orji already.
I swear, many don't ever think to consider simple, already established things like that when they dream up the topics they want to post.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by jookco(m): 5:57am On Jul 21, 2011
Abia still makes money from internal generated revenue, the states get money also from excess crude account, Orji should try to implement the new minimum wage, let him cut his security vote like Rochas Okorocha instead of trying to get rich like Orji Kalu.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by Nobody: 6:35am On Jul 21, 2011
" The dime stops at Orji" . hehe.

Seriously, no diff between the N and the SE. Like long lost brothers. Cane and Abel. Tweedledee and Tweedledum. Boko and Haram.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by Demdem(m): 8:48am On Jul 21, 2011
You core tribalists on nairaland will simply not stop.
When will you all shealth your swords? who go surrender first?
na wa ooooo
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by manny4life(m): 12:52pm On Jul 21, 2011
Seriously why can't states pay minimum wage? shocked shocked shocked

Yet same states pay huge bonuses to lawmakers, sounds weird . Yet they hire 100 aides and assistants to themselves with fat salaries, yet the same govt wants to hire 10,000 people without creation of jobs. Please they should pay the wage and seek other ways to generate revenue for their states. I ask myself why most governors are somewhat clueless.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by HighChief4(m): 1:01pm On Jul 21, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

" The dime stops at Orji" . hehe.

Seriously, no diff between the N and the SE. Like long lost brothers. Cane and Abel. Tweedledee and Tweedledum. Boko and Haram.

I will ask you again, who did this to you? How did it get to this level?
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by Donmeca(m): 1:04pm On Jul 21, 2011
He can't pay? and he was busy sharing money to his security details that led to this week's shootout in d govt house? He's got to be kidding! Aba alone can pay workers salary for him. . .either he still wants to steal and share the his state money or he simply lacks d initiative to generate revenue.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by Ugobelu: 1:31pm On Jul 21, 2011
Anybody that thinks that he can not pa18K should resign. Period!
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by cold(m): 1:43pm On Jul 21, 2011
Abia should be one of the richest states in the country.With Abia second only to Onitsha in terms of industriousness in the SE region
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by 1025: 1:55pm On Jul 21, 2011
the last time i checked, this same governor told us that Orji Uzor Kalu and the mother are the reason for the situation in the state but thank God that at last, he is free from bondage. no who knows.
if anyone is saying any state in nigeria cannot pay ordinary N18,000 minimum wage, that person must be a mentally challenged slowpoke.
with the bribe money these govs get from the president in the name of insecurity volts, every worker in the state can earn as much as 50k per month but what do u expect from a useless hell resemblance in the name of a country where thieves are celebrated according to their skills and abilities?
it is a shame that from our aso rock to our various state seats of powers, what we have as occupants are authentic criminals and anti-masses. men who lack respect for the poor people. greedy and wicked idiots that share biscuits, umbrellas and rice to the poor masses just to buy their votes. men and women who kill and destroy just to get there.
i will say this over and over again, pdp has no plans for this country and as long as they remain in power anywhere, the fate of the ppl will remain in the balance.
imo state has been set free from their captivities while abia just stepped in.
shame to pdp and whatsoever they represent.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by hackney(m): 1:57pm On Jul 21, 2011
How come IMO can pay minimum wage but the so-called industial abia cannot ? ?

That state is where the devil lives.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by ak47mann(m): 2:14pm On Jul 21, 2011
Am sorry but abia state governor is not thinking well ABA should be his first priority make the place business friendly  improve the infrastructure  and set of a system were by people pay their tax he can generate enough money from there to carter for wages and create more jobs dont get it undecided plus they are member of NDDC, abia state need a governor with fore sight,

check his facebook page you will find out the man is not serious at all.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:20pm On Jul 21, 2011
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy I LAUGH IN YUSUFIYYA Islamic MOVEMENT grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by ebogentle(m): 2:29pm On Jul 21, 2011
I need someone to reconcile the following two statements for me pls.
1. It costs ₦1.28 Billion to maintain ONE (1) legislator for a single tenure of 4 years. El Rufai,2011.
2. Abia State paid ₦1.8 billion monthly wage bill, out of an average monthly federal allocation of ₦2.8bn. Chief Don Ubani,2011.

If you still do not understand what is ridiculously absurd (but true) about the above statements, then you are no where close to understanding the problem Nigeria is facing.
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by Nobody: 2:30pm On Jul 21, 2011
Ugobelu:

Anybody that thinks that he can not pa18K should resign. Period!

Na beans? So how many standing govs would we have left?
Why dont you people start paying taxes?
Re: Abia: We Can’t Pay New Wage by estatemark(m): 2:42pm On Jul 21, 2011
If state Govs agree to do the right like cutting their excesses and remove personal greed 18k per month shouldn't be a big deal. As for Orji, half of the cost of rigging himself back to power can pay his workers salary for a whole year seriously.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Asiwaju Tinubu Is Displeased With Muiz Banire / Funny Pictures Of Father Christmas...............laugh It Out.. / See What I Saw On Facebook About Igbo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.