Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,753 members, 7,806,070 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:57 AM

President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities (16893 Views)

12 Universities That Accept 150 JAMB Cut Off In Nigeria / Buhari Approved The Appointment Of New Vcs For The 12 Universities / University Of Jos Has Approved The Promotion Of 17 To Profs And 22 To Snr Lects (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by felixOPEN: 6:10pm On Jul 21, 2011
Abuja – President Goodluck Jonathan has approved the appointments of vice chancellors and registrars for the newly established federal universities.
The universities are in Kogi, Taraba, Ebonyi, Jigawa, Bayelsa, Gombe, Ekiti, Nasarawa and Katsina states.
Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufa’I, the Minister of Education, said at a news conference in Abuja on Wednesday that the government had ”approached the matter systematically by establishing nine universities.
She said there were at present 12 states without federal universities but promised that ”the remaining three (states) will have federal universities in due course.”
for more info log on to www.federaluniversitylafia.webs.com to get good result from representatives
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by Goldieluks: 6:10pm On Jul 21, 2011
oh good news.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by 195(f): 6:13pm On Jul 21, 2011
rubbish

the present universities are in wreck and they are establishing more

utter rubbish undecided
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by Goldieluks: 6:19pm On Jul 21, 2011
190_@:

rubbish

utter rubbish undecided

Don't bring negativity into a country that is striving to grow ,OK?
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by 195(f): 6:21pm On Jul 21, 2011
grin grin grin

Na wa - I hear u
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by Mynd44: 6:22pm On Jul 21, 2011
So the way to improve on the standard of education is to open more ADVANCE secondary schoools right? Clueless GEJ
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by Goldieluks: 6:23pm On Jul 21, 2011
You better hear @190

can't stand negative ingrates.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by Phate07(m): 8:40pm On Jul 21, 2011
Very romantic! angry

1 Like

Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by Africanqueen2(f): 9:17pm On Jul 21, 2011
Why not come down to the west or east. . . Just mainly in the north. Anyway kudos
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by dayokanu(m): 9:47pm On Jul 21, 2011
University of Boko Haram
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by 1025: 10:08pm On Jul 21, 2011
Don't bring negativity into a country that is striving to grow ,OK?

@Goldieluks,
how does growth relate to raising walls here and there? we have federal and state universities that are not better than modern glorified primary schools.
most of our graduates in nigeria here can hardly make a correct sentence and 75% are unemployed.
obasanjo even as bad as he was, will ever be remembered for telecommunication. yar adua in his short while did justice to the rule of law and we saw one big/federal criminal go to jail. am talking about bode george and we also witnessed how ribadu and el rufai ran away from justice only for this same jonathan to bring them back. if you like, build 500 universities in one state, it can only get worse as long as politics remains the most lucrative profesion in nigeria.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by bashydemy(m): 11:57am On Jul 22, 2011
GEJ is a useless man approving new universities with job if them graduate from there where are they gonna work?
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by femmy2010(m): 12:11pm On Jul 22, 2011
The ones we presently have are not well funded and we are setting up more.
Wow
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by Ournaija: 12:20pm On Jul 22, 2011
More Flesh Air grin grin grin
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by Ojumiii(m): 12:27pm On Jul 22, 2011
see the issue of new universies in addition to the old ones, in this angle of mine ( daddy daddy  the rice mummy cooked does not contain enough ingredient for its to give adequate nutrients as the body required, and then daddy replied tell mummy to cook more rice)

sometimes you will be force to say that most our rulers need mental checkup
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by femmy2010(m): 12:38pm On Jul 22, 2011
Ournaija:

More Flesh Air  grin grin grin

Wow,.fresh air indeed.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by olisa2010: 12:49pm On Jul 22, 2011
dts nt wt we r goin 2 eat Mr President angry
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by WhyAWhy(m): 12:50pm On Jul 22, 2011
I got this news with mixed feelings

POSITIVE
1. More Universities = More Jobs
2. More Universities = More Destinations for hitherto denied candidates
3. More Universities = Increased Possibilities of developing host towns

NEGATIVE
1. More Universities  = Continued Trend of producing half-baked graduates giving the Present Status of Funding
2. More Universities  = Increased Pressure of "meagre" fund to the Educational System
3. More Universities  = Whole lot more complications in the already disorganised administration

I graduated from OAU in 2007 and presently on a Research programme in United Kingdom, my jaws dropped and I felt like weeping when I entered some of the labs of my university here where research graduates and undergraduates have access to high end facility, a colleague took me through a process where he personally manufactured and tested optical fibre and lasers, I looked round at the 3 labs I toured in only one research group and the investment there alone would most likely build another university in Nigeria half way.

Eventhough this might come across as selfish, I wished the federal government can look into improving R&grin Funding in the already established Nigerian Universities and scale it up to standards that output from such Universities can help push the economy towards formidable industrialisation and self sustenance, my 1 cent  undecided

1 Like

Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by 1forall: 1:12pm On Jul 22, 2011
^

I like your constructive contribution.

As per topic, setting up more schools is always a good thing, but running them to achieve their academic aims is another thing entirely. . .knowing naija and our ways.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by ayex0001: 1:27pm On Jul 22, 2011
Personally speaking i think too many Universities in the country won't help, but to focus and standardize the already established ones
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by duno: 1:28pm On Jul 22, 2011
WhyAWhy:

POSITIVE

NEGATIVE
1. More Universities  = Continued Trend of producing half-baked graduates giving the Present Status of Funding
2. More Universities  = Increased Pressure of "meagre" fund to the Educational System
3. More Universities  = Whole lot more complications in the already disorganised administration

I graduated from OAU in 2007 and presently on a Research programme in United Kingdom, my jaws dropped and I felt like weeping when I entered some of the labs of my university here where research graduates and undergraduates have access to high end facility, a colleague took me through a process where he personally manufactured and tested optical fibre and lasers, I looked round at the 3 labs I toured in only one research group and the investment there alone would most likely build another university in Nigeria half way.

Eventhough this might come across as selfish, I wished the federal government can look into improving R&grin Funding in the already established Nigerian Universities and scale it up to standards that output from such Universities can help push the economy towards formidable industrialisation and self sustenance, my 1 cent  undecided

Good
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by ebogentle(m): 2:11pm On Jul 22, 2011
We created a society where the income gap and income spread are very ridiculous and so much status is attached to higher education (especially university education). That's the reason we are here. If Government (and the private sector) pays a good minimum wage (and I am not referring to 18k) and our political office holders are paid a modest wage (to act as a dis-incentive to those with dubious motives), and vocational studies are given attention, and most importantly, our value system (of money money money and power power power ) is changed,things will be a lot better. People who have no business going into the university will not feel the need to chase any degree. Then we will have fewer universities of substance and the only reason Govt will build more universities would be to attract more foreign students/professors alike to further boost the standard of research. I realise I have painted serious utopia here. But I bet a lot of you will agree with me on this.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by Sourcecrew: 2:12pm On Jul 22, 2011

POSITIVE

NEGATIVE

Eventhough this might come across as selfish, I wished the federal government can look into improving R&grin Funding in the already established Nigerian Universities and scale it up to standards that output from such Universities can help push the economy towards formidable industrialisation and self sustenance,  my 1 cent

Bro u ve made a lot of sense. Good work.

@190; love ur contribution too, keep it up.

@Goldieluks;if u aint got meaningful contributions,just keep quiet and stop saying jack shit.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 2:24pm On Jul 22, 2011
no, no, NO! What was he thinking, quality over quantity? The standard of education in the existing universities is bad enough as it is but let's start from the basics; the government owned primary and secondary schools. Those are more like four walled ghettoes than places of learning. The teachers take a non challant attitude towards teaching, the students are shabbily dressed, rough, uncouth and end up worse off than they started. How such can gain admission into university is beyond me.

I remember my first year at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri. I was appalled at the spoken english of quite a number of my peers. Wasn't a credit in english language supposed to be a prerequisite for admission into the university? There was no way I would be convinced that without cheating, any of such people would manage a pass (and they largely endedup failing GST). I thanked God at that point that, despite my parents' relative financial shorthandedness, they sent me to good private schools.

So even if, we had one million universities in the country, with the current standard of operations, the only result would be that we would churn out more half baked (even worse, quarter baked) graduates. The money used in setting up these new schools should be used instead to improve the standard of existing schools.

my 2 cents.out cheating, any of such people would manage a pass (and they largely endedup failing GST). I thanked God at that point that, despite my parents' relative financial shorthandedness, they sent me to good private schools.

So even if, we had one million universities in the country, with the current standard of operations, the only result would be that we would churn out more half baked (even worse, quarter baked) graduates. The money used in setting up these new schools should be used instead to improve the standard of existing schools.

my 2 cents.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by Temi231(f): 2:50pm On Jul 22, 2011
embarassed embarassed What is wrong with our Mr. president,giving
more universities everyday when there are a lot of graduate striving outside to even eat a meal.No job,nothing nothing but he keep on bringing more school. May God save us from the hand of self centered leaders.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by Johnpaul2k2(m): 3:00pm On Jul 22, 2011
Temi 23:

embarassed embarassed What is wrong with our Mr. president,giving
more universities everyday when there are a lot of graduate striving outside to even eat a meal.No job,nothing nothing but he keep on bringing more school. May God save us from the hand of self centered leaders.
i think your talking rubbis.h nonsense comment angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
190_@:

rubbish

utter rubbish undecided

which did armajiri presidents did during their administrations
stooooopid talk cheesy
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by Temi231(f): 3:19pm On Jul 22, 2011
Johnpaul2k2:

i think your talking rubbis.h nonsense comment angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angrywhich did armajiri presidents did during their administrations
stooooopid talk  cheesy
Please am begging you don't tell me you don't know hat is going on in this country. And moreover everyone has the right to say whatever he/she feels on this site so don't tell me am saying rubbish.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by coded777: 3:30pm On Jul 22, 2011
For once, you guys should welcome development in the gadamn country, no matter how lil,
When there were not enough Universities, you guys castigated the government, now there are trying to yet you still castigate, Can Nigeria ever grow with this sort of Mentality, ehn?
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by azyaq(m): 3:41pm On Jul 22, 2011
may God bless Nigeria n all d inhabitant that dwell in it
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by winta2007(m): 3:47pm On Jul 22, 2011
the exiting ones is declining
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by owobokiri(m): 3:49pm On Jul 22, 2011
Nigeria needs "skills Acquisition Centers" more.  People who cant pass JAMB need to get quality skills so we stop importing carpenters and plumbers from Togo.
Re: President Goodluck Jonathan Has Approved 12 Universities by glowithdan(m): 4:59pm On Jul 22, 2011
If creating more universities will reduce the amount of corruption and move the country forward, then kudos Mr. president; but if the other way round is the case, I think the president's head need to be examined!

Can someone in the house please check where the most ranked university in Nigeria is presently in the African ranking of universities for years 1999-2011, and tell us what and where the future of our educational system is heading to? Where lecturers go on strike almost every session, funding for research is not available, and when even available, is passed to "block heads" that don't even need then in the first place; school buildings look like community playing grounds, and graduates produced under such circumstance is nothing to talk about.

I pity this generation, because it seems not to be getting anything right, and has refused to learn from the failures of past leaders. At times, one begin to think the "Boko Haram" men's fight is justified! Just wish the innocent are not dying among.

The Government really need to slap on the check to wake up from it's slumber. It has happened in Greece, and other European countries, and wondering when Nigerians will wake up and tell these corrupt leaders that enough is enough, else we will continue sacrificing the happiness of the unborn generations to the creed of the present day corrupt leaders!!
We need to wake up, and start acting, instead of looking!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yabatech Part-time Admission List Is Out: / UTME: Reps Asks JAMB To Suspend NIN Requirement For Candidates / Can I Seek Admission With D7 In Economics?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.