Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,236 members, 7,780,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:49 PM

2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. - Art, Graphics & Video (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. (60442 Views)

2d Animaton Learning Thread / 2d/3d Art Gallery / 2d (traditional/classical) Animation Pencil Test: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 1:31am On Aug 28, 2007
ajayi1:

@ Lafem. we can see everything you are droping here. But what i need from you is to show us your own job.

The purpose of this thread isn't to promote MYSELF or my abilities as an animator -- I can easily do that by opening a self-promotional thread -- but rather the 2D genre as a whole. I've opened threads in the past, in this same section of the forum, to showcase crude pencil tests of some of MY animation, e.g.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy-sGcVdtDA

As I mentioned in a related thread, I currently have two almost completed animation shorts on my laptop [I've started digitally painting one of 'em], each 2 mins. in length. Took me two weeks to time-out the dialogue, and almost a month to animate each short -- with each gulping about 1,500 individual drawings/frames, all on ONES! One's titled 'Candid Politriks' -- about a nigerian politician, addressing an audience of supporters and candidly intimating them of his intention to loot the treasury upon getting elected into office. It's done in FULL ANIMATION style [at a high frame rate of 24 frames per second]; it came out so smooth that even I was wowed! I'm yet to come up with a satisfactory title for the second one, but it's about two friends, Jamiu and Ike, two police officers at an illegal police checkpoint rationalizing and justifying why they collect bribe from motorists. I expect to upload Candid Politriks on youtube in about a month or so.
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 1:39am On Aug 28, 2007
grafikdon:

Ajayi1. . . I think you kind of missed the point. This thread is not about Lafem and his work, it's a sort of 2D animation portal, you dig? Of course he can post his work but that is not the main objective of the thread. smiley

Wow! Graphikdon, it's like you READ MY MIND, coz you said exactly what I thot as soon as I read his post; I even had my reply ready offline long before you posted yours. Thanx, mate!
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by ajayi1(m): 11:35am On Aug 28, 2007
@ grafikdon. Thank for you reply.

@ All. Please everybody in the house drop you own personal 2d design here for us to see if you are pro.
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by wham(m): 9:54pm On Sep 07, 2007
Hey Lafem,

I'll like u to give me a break down of how u do your own animation from Storyboard to pc. I just started using an 8x6" Graphics Tablet, so drawing into flash is easier for me. I had been waiting to get one for a while. But now that I've goten it, I see how difficult it is to determine/imagine and draw the  following frame of a character after the first. Its not about just drawing him, but getting the right amouth of offset from the previous that would produce fluid motion after making about 5 secs of the scene. I'm I making some sence?

I'd like u to tell us how u do urs. Do u draw and scan? Do u do  some work with a Graphics pen, or do u do your entire work by drawing and scanning. Which SW do u use mainly for the animation Flash? Flipbook? Use 'Candid Politriks' as your example. (I'm even beggining to think, Maybe it would have been easiers for me if I were a traditional Animator using flip pads, Light Tables, celluloid, camera and lighting). 

Now I see why 2D animation needs a good team of Directors, storyboarders, animators, Asst. Animators, Clean-up artists etc. Even digital/desktop animation.

Heres my email: whamatix@yahoo.com. I would like to have u as a contact
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 11:25am On Sep 08, 2007
wham:

Hey Lafem,

I'll like u to give me a break down of how u do your own animation from Storyboard to pc. I just started using an 8x6" Graphics Tablet, so drawing into flash is easier for me. I had been waiting to get one for a while. But now that I've goten it, I see how difficult it is to determine/imagine and draw the  following frame of a character after the first. Its not about just drawing him, but getting the right amouth of offset from the previous that would produce fluid motion after making about 5 secs of the scene. I'm I making some sence?

I'd like u to tell us how u do urs. Do u draw and scan? Do u do  some work with a Graphics pen, or do u do your entire work by drawing and scanning. Which SW do u use mainly for the animation Flash? Flipbook? Use 'Candid Politriks' as your example. (I'm even beggining to think, Maybe it would have been easiers for me if I were a traditional Animator using flip pads, Light Tables, celluloid, camera and lighting). 

Now I see why 2D animation needs a good team of Directors, storyboarders, animators, Asst. Animators, Clean-up artists etc. Even digital/desktop animation.

Heres my email: whamatix@yahoo.com. I would like to have u as a contact

'Sup my guy? To be honest with you I have no experience with Graphic tablets. I remember though that right before I started animating I did a thorough research on the strenghts of Graphic tablets over traditional pen & paper for animation, and based on my findings I settled for pencil & paper. I've heard some graphic tablet users rave about its abilities and strenghts, though. However, I believe that most non-flash style 2d/classic/traditional animation is still done by pencil & paper which are then cleaned-up and scanned into the computer. Personally, I draw [both roughs and cleaned-up frames/images] by hand, with a pencil on white paper, on a light-table, I then scan the drawings into my computer and use Flipbook studio to set the timing, compositing, and for digital painting, which can then converted to/exported as an .avi file. Post-production/Editing of sound and images are done in either Windows MovieMaker, Adobe Premiere, After-effects, Adobe Illustrator [for title cards]. For sound editing I use the open-source software [similar to Sounforge] Audacity. That, I believe is still the popular, though time-consuming, way of making 2d animation [the non-vector/non-flash style type that is].
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 11:32am On Sep 08, 2007
Following are pictures of famous 2d animators at work on their light-tables:

The first here is Glen Keane, disney animator of such classics like Aladdin, Tarzan, Beauty and The Beast, Pocahontas, e.t.c,

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 11:35am On Sep 08, 2007
James Baxter, animated scenes in features like the Hunchback of Notre Dame, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Road to Eldorado, Shrek, e.t.c,

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 11:45am On Sep 08, 2007
[Late] Ward Kimball, animator from the 'Golden era'. Kimball created several classic Disney characters including the Crows in "Dumbo"; Tweedledum and Tweedledee, the Mad Hatter and the Cheshire Cat from "Alice in Wonderland"; the Mice and Lucifer the Cat from "Cinderella"; and Jiminy Cricket from "Pinocchio". He also animated the famous "Three Caballeros" musical number from the Disney film of the same name.

In the mid-1950s, Kimball became a director and was responsible for the Academy Award-winning short "Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom," and three Disney television shows about outer space that put the United States into the space program. He received an Academy Award for the short animated cartoon "It's Tough to be a Bird", 1969.

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 11:47am On Sep 08, 2007
More Ward Kimball.

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 11:56am On Sep 08, 2007
[late] Iwao Takamoto, a Japanese American animator, television producer, and film director. He was most famous as being a production and character designer for Hanna-Barbera Productions shows such as Scooby-Doo.

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:02pm On Sep 08, 2007
Animator Kathy Zielenski, animating Frollo, from Disney's 1996 hit, Hunchback of Notre Dame.

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:12pm On Sep 08, 2007
Famous animator Eric Goldberg, animating The Genie , from Disney's 1992 hit and classic, "Aladdin".

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:16pm On Sep 08, 2007
Floyd E. Norman (born c. 1936) is an African-American animator who worked on the Walt Disney animated features Sleeping Beauty, The Sword in the Stone and The Jungle Book along with various animated short projects at Disney in the late 50's and early 60's. After Walt Disney's death in 1966 Floyd Norman left Disney Studios to co-found the AfroKids animation studio with business partner animator/director Leo Sullivan. Norman and Sullivan worked together on various projects such as the original Hey! Hey! Hey! It's Fat Albert television special which aired in 1969 on NBC. (not to be confused with the later Fat Albert series made by Filmation Associates.) Floyd Norman returned to Disney at one point in the early 1970's to work on the Disney animated feature Robin Hood. More recently he has worked on motion pictures for the Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, having contributed creatively as a story artist on films such as Toy Story 2 and Monsters,Inc. for Pixar and Mulan and The Hunchback of Notre Dame for Walt Disney Animation among others. He continues to work for the Walt Disney Co. as a freelance consultant on various projects.

Floyd Norman has also published several books of cartoons inspired by his lifetime of experiences in the animation industry : 'Faster! Cheaper!' , 'Son of Faster, Cheaper!' , and 'How The Grinch Stole Disney' .

He currently is a columnist for the websites JimHillMedia.com and AfroKids.com.

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:27pm On Sep 08, 2007
[late] Master animator Ken Harris, animating at Richard Williams Studio , London, late 70's.

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:35pm On Sep 08, 2007
More Ken Harris, at Warner Bros. Cartoon studio, c. 1940's

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:39pm On Sep 08, 2007
The [late] Great Milt Kahl doing his thing on his light-table.

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:47pm On Sep 08, 2007
The famous Richard [Dick] Williams, author of "Animator's Survival Kit", and animation director of the Oscar winning "Who Framed Roger Rabbit", in his London studio.

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:53pm On Sep 08, 2007
Animator Uli Meyer ("Who Framed Roger Rabbit" crew , Disney, London, 1986)

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 1:08pm On Sep 08, 2007
Twin animators Marilyn and Madilyn Woods; this pic was taken at the Warner Bros. Animation, 1940's or '50s.

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by qeemus: 1:11pm On Sep 08, 2007
my i ask a rather dumb question?pls what is a light table
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 1:42pm On Sep 08, 2007
qeemus:

my i ask a rather dumb question?please what is a light table

Broman, your question isn't dumb at all as we're all here to learn a thing or two about the 2d genre. Now to answer to your question, a light table (or light desk) is a very simple device -- it's just a box with a clear or translucent white surface with a light inside, that shines through the surface so that any paper overlaid on it is rendered transparent/translucent (the onion-skin effect that Flash simulates). This way you can layer multiple sheets of paper on top of each other, and see your sequences of frames for reference as you're working on drawing or tweaking new frames.

Large studios or other professionals in the animation industry sometimes use highly-specialized light tables with glass surfaces over a special light; the tables can be locked, or set to rotate and pivot in order to help the animator draw with the rotating sweep of his/her full arm. Those tables are rather delicate and highly expensive, but there are much cheaper options for personal use. Any hobby shop or camera store will be able to help you pick out one of their light boxes, which are generally used for viewing slides and transparencies but that can also work well for animation as long as they have a large enough drawing surface.

If you really want to simplify, though, really all you need is a glass surface and a medium-strength light. I've known people to build their own light boxes with a wooden frame and a sheet-glass surface with a lamp inside, or to even just place a desk lamp underneath a glass coffee table. Whatever works for you--just don't ruin your furniture in the effort. Once you've got a light desk set up you'll find yourself animating with ease.

Click on the following link to view different samples of Light-tables/boxes:

http://www.cartoonsupplies.com/index.php/cPath/25?osCsid=8b8100d609bdefc347d6a075960fc43c

and

http://www.cartoonsupplies.com/index.php/cPath/23?osCsid=8b8100d609bdefc347d6a075960fc43c
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 9:05pm On Sep 08, 2007
Below are youtube clips of the beautifully animated and visually stunning anime sequence from "Kill Bill, Vol. 1".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI9bAulzpwE

[flash=425,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI9bAulzpwE[/flash]
Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:33am On Sep 10, 2007
Below are some screenshots I took from the preceding anime sequence from "Kill Bill Vol. 1"; I had to later resize the images and paste them together to save space. Enjoy!

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:35am On Sep 10, 2007
More shots from KB v.1:

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:42am On Sep 10, 2007
More screenshots,,, ,,

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 12:45am On Sep 10, 2007
Last set,,,

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 10:51pm On Sep 20, 2007
The following screenshots/collages are from the 1999 released Academy Award-winning Disney blockbuster animated feature, 'TARZAN'. Took me days and many hours to piece together and resize the screenshots into collages. Sha, I think the effort was well worth it in the end. Enjoy!

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 10:54pm On Sep 20, 2007
more,,,

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 10:57pm On Sep 20, 2007
more,

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 10:59pm On Sep 20, 2007
more,

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 11:03pm On Sep 20, 2007
Collage 1:

Re: 2d Traditional/Classical Animation Corner. by Lafem(m): 11:05pm On Sep 20, 2007
Collage 2:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Female Painter Shakes Her Chest In Front Of A Boy, Nigerians Call For Her Arrest / Nine Of The World's Most Controversial Photographs / Emir Sanusi Looking For Man Who Made An Art Drawing Of Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.