Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,961 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison (24410 Views)

AFCON: Cameroon FA Rejects Samuel Eto'o Fils' Resignation / Samuel Eto'o Fils Physically Attacks Algerian Youtuber In Qatar (video) / Samuel Eto'o Is New Cameroon Football Federation President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by fergie001: 4:34pm On Jun 20, 2022
Forrmer FC Barcelona footballer, Samuel Eto'o Fils and his former representative José María Mesalles have accepted this Monday the sentences of 22 months and one year in prison, respectively, after acknowledging having defrauded 3,872,621 euros from the Public Treasury, between 2006 and 2009.

In his statement in the Criminal Court number 11 of Barcelona, ​​Eto'o has admitted the fraud but has blamed it, without citing him directly, to Mesalles, whom he has always defined as "a second father".

Samuel Eto'o (L) and his former agent Jose Maria Mesalles (R) leaving the court in Barcelona
In fact, the former Cameroonian footballer filed a lawsuit against his former representative for alleged crimes of fraud and misappropriation in the management of his assets, a matter that is still in the investigation phase.

"I recognize the facts and I am going to pay, but let it be known that I was a child then and that I always did what my father asked me to do," said Samuel Eto'o.

Mesalles , for his part, has preferred not to testify before admitting the facts, in a conformity trial in which the third accused, Jesús Lastre , administrator of one of the instrumental companies used in the fraud, has been acquitted.

In its indictment, the prosecution requested sentences of 4 years and 6 months in prison for Eto'o and Mesalles , which have finally been reduced to 22 months for the former player, as the author of four crimes against the Public Treasury, and one year for his former agent as necessary co-operator.

Likewise, the former African striker has been sentenced to pay four fines, one for each crime, amounting to 1,810,310 euros, and his former representative to another four for a total value of 905,155 euros.

The Cameroon striker, now 41 years old, was playing for Barcelona when the offences occurred
The sentences, whose execution will be suspended since neither of them has a previous criminal record, have been mitigated by the Public Prosecutor's Office by recognizing both the facts and having partially repaired the damage with the return of part of the defrauded fees.

The fraud relates to Eto'o failing to declare income derived from the transfer of image rights to Puma and Barcelona in his personal income tax return between 2006 and 2009.

Eto'o was given a 22 months suspended prison sentence for tax fraud of around £3.32million
Eto'o pretended that such rights had been assigned to two companies resident in Hungary and Spain, so that the income diverted to the Hungarian company, managed by Lastre , was not taxed to the Treasury, while that diverted to the Spanish company, managed by Mesalles , will not be taxed heavily, that is, corresponding to his Personal Income tax.

SOURCE

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by paulolee(m): 5:02pm On Jun 20, 2022
it seems this spanish tax laws or tax rate is too strict on outsiders, almost all big names av been involved in tax issues..
I remember the likes of messi, cr7 n even mourinho all had problems with tax evasion during their time in spain but hardly sees a Spanish player being dragged into this same tax avoidance problem..
i really missed the days of Eto scoring goals for barca..his numbers n achievements made him the greatest African striker of all time..no disrespect to drogba..

69 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by RapistOnBail: 5:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
Make they arrest Lukaku

2 Likes

Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by christejames(m): 5:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
Nigeria must be sane like this...

Be OBIdient!

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by onunwa21(m): 5:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
Tax wahala
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by Chatflick(m): 5:03pm On Jun 20, 2022
I heard Tinubu has also been avoiding tax.

**Modified**

Tinubu's urchichs are already coming for my head grin. Nice

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by inoki247: 5:04pm On Jun 20, 2022
lol
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by TheJust101: 5:04pm On Jun 20, 2022
Spain and tax issues. Before you decide to live there, read and understand their tax law, else you will end up in jail, no matter how high or exalted your station.

5 Likes

Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by Authoreety: 5:04pm On Jun 20, 2022
My take on the subject is that....

OBIdience is better than sacrifice

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by CalabarPikin: 5:04pm On Jun 20, 2022
Okay

A gentle reminder please....

15 Likes

Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by LaSenior: 5:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
grin
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by lathrowinger: 5:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
Chatflick:

For Biafra land?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by Iblak: 5:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
Why do these footballers get involved in tax fraud thing. Just pay it and move on

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by ozo13(m): 5:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
May be laws were meant to be broken and also to try as much as possible not to be caught while breaking it
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by GualaGuala(m): 5:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
They have started making @peter obi looks like he is bad just because he is people choice

Likes for peter obi
Share to another 8yrs of hardship
APC & PDP

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by Krishah: 5:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
Huge money, European don't joke with tax
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by ifeajikap(m): 5:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
Spain and tax
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by SmallDick99(m): 5:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
Ok next sad
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by Kellie069(m): 5:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
Well, it’s not as serious as it seems!! Tax issues are normal especially with footballers
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by lathrowinger: 5:05pm On Jun 20, 2022
Stingy Pandora won't be paying his taxes too
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by Cholls(m): 5:06pm On Jun 20, 2022
Chatflick:
my brother so as trump
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by Jossyroyal1: 5:06pm On Jun 20, 2022
cool
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by Urchmantete: 5:06pm On Jun 20, 2022
E remain Tifnubu...
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by Nonybb: 5:06pm On Jun 20, 2022
Lol
Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by Golan007: 5:07pm On Jun 20, 2022
Peter Obi would have been jailed in other climes.

1 Like

Re: Samuel Eto'o Pleads Guilty For €3.88m Tax Fraud To Avoid Prison by Treasure17(m): 5:07pm On Jun 20, 2022
Spain not joking with tax evasion.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chrisantus Macauley Joins HJK Helsinki From Real Murcia / Keshi To Oliseh: You Were Nobody When You Started / Happy Super Eagles Squad Vibing To Duncan Mighty's Song (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.