Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,509 members, 7,808,863 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:13 PM

Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again (14643 Views)

Itsekiri Nation Disowns Calls For Creation Of Biafra Republic / Wukari Crisis Again... / Jos Crisis Again (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by aljharem(m): 12:51am On Jul 23, 2011
By Emma Arubi
WARRI – TENSION now pervades the Ugborodo Itsekiri community and its neighbouring Ijaw communities in Warri South West Local Government Area of Delta State, following recent moves by some Ijaw to erect a staff quarters on the Kpokpo land in Ugborodo.

The land inhabited by the Kolo family of Ugborodo was sacked by the Ijaws during the Ijaw/ Itsekiri 1997-2003 crisis.

Similarly, another crisis is looming between some Ijaws of Gbaramatu Kingdom and the Itsekiri of Kantu community sacked by the Ijaws also during the same crisis.

Though the military authorities had waded into the festering crisis in Escravos by stopping further development on the land by the Ijaw, Vanguard learnt that the Itsekiri owners were told by their Ijaw neighbours, that Kpokpo was a now conquered territory.

Assistant Public Relation Officer, Ugborodo community, Mr. Perry Okoturoh told Vanguard that “it is unheard of that we still have conquered land in this 21st century.”

According to Okoturoh, the Ijaws razed Kpokpo settlement in Warri Kingdom during the seven years crisis against the Itsekiri nation and razed many more Itsekiri villages including Kantu in Gbaramatu Kingdom, where they both share the same ancestry.

He added that “the Ugborodo community had not abandoned Kpokpo land to any other person, family or ethnic nationalities.

“It remains the Kolo family quarters and therefore the land remains Ugborodo property,” he said.
He regretted that the Ijaws commenced building on the said land about two months ago to provoke another round of Ijaw/Itsekiri crisis, wondering how they can claim to be building a staff quarters on another man’s land in an area that has no school.

However, some Gbaramatu Ijaws, who spoke to newsmen, yesterday, maintained that the land now belongs to them, insisting that some Itsekiri boys came to pull down the staff quarters they were erecting on the land.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/tension-in-delta-as-ijaw-plans-to-build-on-razed-itsekiri-villages/
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by Nobody: 1:03am On Jul 23, 2011
And this is why Nigeria can not work!!!!!!!

Ijaws are the ones erecting more problems for themselves, By the time they provoke the Bini people, it will be an all out war of nations!!!

Alj boko haram, I know your reason for posting this kind of threads are simply because you want to show that Nigeria can work but how is going to be so with this divisive situations?

This should show you we can't be one in Nigeria simple!!!
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by ektbear: 1:05am On Jul 23, 2011
hrmmm
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by aljharem(m): 1:06am On Jul 23, 2011
9jaganja:

And this is why Nigeria can not work!!!!!!!

Ijaws are the ones erecting more problems for themselves, By the time they provoke the Bini people, it will be an all out war of nations!!!

Alj boko haram, I know your reason for posting this kind of threads are simply because you want to show that Nigeria can work but how is going to be so with this divisive situations?

This should show you we can't be one in Nigeria simple!!!

so are you suggesting there should an Itsekiri country again after there is a niger/delta country

i dey laff o
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by jason123: 1:12am On Jul 23, 2011
SMH at these Ijaws. Everything na gra-gra for them.
So because GEJ is the president, dem think say they fit do shakara, abi??
Must we fight and KILL before we respect eachother undecided? Well, na fire for fire!
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by ektbear: 1:15am On Jul 23, 2011
^-- My heart goes out to you dude. It must be frustrating as hell. Not clear what the answer is either
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by ChinenyeN(m): 1:29am On Jul 23, 2011
hmph. Ijo, o miebam.
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by Nobody: 1:36am On Jul 23, 2011
this itsekiris are dulling.dont they have a militia group?
conquered territory, in 2011?
SMH
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by aljharem(m): 1:37am On Jul 23, 2011
jason123:

SMH at these Ijaws. Everything na gra-gra for them.
So because GEJ is the president, dem think say they fit do shakara, abi??
Must we fight and KILL before we respect eachother undecided? Well, na fire for fire!

dude ijaws are occuping itsekiri land and u dey uk dey shout fire for fire
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by Muza(m): 1:44am On Jul 23, 2011
family affair
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by Nobody: 1:56am On Jul 23, 2011
alj harem:

so are you suggesting there should an Itsekiri country again after there is a niger/delta country

i dey laff o

Itsekiri people can handle their own even though they are two million+ people!!!

My stand remains that unless there is an overwhelming majority, of 1 tribe 2 or more tribe can't democratically be in a nation, Even though I know the Itsekiri people are the same as the Yoruba people, They have a dream for themselves that shouldn't be controlled by any external force whether Yorubas or Bini or anyone else,

Who said Niger Delta is a nation? Are nuts?

Conquered land in 2011 undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided I'm sure Ijaws know they live in Lagos too right?

The effect of this clash doesn't remain in the Niger Delta, OPC will retaliate in Lagos. And this is not a welcomed development at all,
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by aljharem(m): 2:04am On Jul 23, 2011
9jaganja:

Itsekiri people can handle their own even though they are two million+ people!!!

My stand remains that unless there is an overwhelming majority, of 1 tribe 2 or more tribe can't democratically be in a nation, Even though I know the Itsekiri people are the same as the Yoruba people, They have a dream for themselves that shouldn't be controlled by any external force whether Yorubas or Bini or anyone else,

Who said Niger Delta is a nation? Are nuts?

Conquered land in 2011 undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided I'm sure Ijaws know they live in Lagos too right?

The effect of this clash doesn't remain in the Niger Delta, OPC will retaliate in Lagos. And this is not a welcomed development at all,

i am sure they know that, just like 2002 or so but jonathan an ijaw is the president. it would not take long before he depolys the military there.

that aside. The ijaws are the most stu.pid set of people for the statement like "conquered terroty" what rubbish

lets see how this would turn out whether OPC would get involved or not

they accuse the yorubas of tribalism, but this is way worse than OPC can do

it is an insult to itsekiris and indeed the world
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by jason123: 2:14am On Jul 23, 2011
I can't help but laugh at the people that shout Niger-delta republic here and there. Is this what Niger-delta republic will be like "Conquered territories"? In 2011 I mean, how primitive can these people get Before you know it, they will start saying Edos and Itsekiris are pushing Yoruba agenda in the Niger-delta (check their websites). Is this not an act of provocation TO HELL WITH THE REPUBLIC OF NIGER-DELTA. Its either we have Southern Nigeria or Oodua Republic with my Edos and Uhrobo brothers like Kpogede74. Who wants to leave Nigeria to start another "NigeriaNiger-delta republic" with these ones undecided? I mean, seriously?? With Ijaws as the majority instead of Hausas?? Tell me, what difference does it make?? Even the Uhrobos that are the majority in Delta do not behave like these people. SMH.

As I said earlier, NA FIRE FOR FIRE. By the time we all kill ourselves, there will be no one to "conquer" any territory!!

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by jason123: 2:17am On Jul 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- My heart goes out to you dude. It must be frustrating as hell. Not clear what the answer is either
Exactly!!!
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by ChinenyeN(m): 2:25am On Jul 23, 2011
Minorities. . Seems like you people know what your problems are. Jason, given the situation, I'd say that the answer is clear. Urge your people to deal swiftly and efficiently.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by ektbear: 2:37am On Jul 23, 2011
Seems to me that whatever buildings they are building need to be destroyed. And the land needs to be resettled again.

At a minimum. And you'll need to call on any allies that'll be able to help. Man we should have settled in large #s in that area, then there would be no numerical disadvantage. . .

I wonder to what extent we can help, if at all.
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by jason123: 2:45am On Jul 23, 2011
ekt_bear:

Seems to me that whatever buildings they are building need to be destroyed. And the land needs to be resettled again.

At a minimum. And you'll need to call on any allies that'll be able to help. Man we should have settled in large #s in that area, then there would be no numerical disadvantage. . .

I wonder to what extent we can help, if at all.
Thanks but I am sure the we can handle our problem. If Yorubas join (OPC in the 2000's), it will complicate the problem and make it hard to reconcile the two . Thanks anyway . . . I reckon its just a simple dispute, however annoying, I am sure they will reconcile soon . . .
Although, I came across this just now:

Five injured in Ijaw, Itsekiri clash
By Our Reporter 21/07/2011 00:00:00
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

There is tension between Ijaw and Itsekiri ethnic groups in Warri Southwest Local Government of Delta State, following squabbles over land ownership.

This led to the demolition of a building in Ikpokpo Community on Tuesday evening.

Aggrieved Ijaw leaders blamed youths from neighbouring Ugborodo, an Itsekiri community, for the destruction.

Angry Ikpokpo leaders said armed youths invaded and demolished a six-bedroom structure being built by Egbema/Gbaramatu Development Council (EGDC) for teachers in the community.

Chairman of Ikpokpo community Godwin Akori said five of his kinsmen were injured by the armed invaders.

Akori said the incident was the second in recent times, adding that the Itsekiri claimed that they owned the land occupied by Ikpokpo community.

He said the attack by the Ogborodo youths, suspected to have been sponsored by an Itsekiri youth leader, is capable of sparking ethnic strife and fresh crisis between Ijaw and Itsekiri.

“Ikpokpo has been a community in Gbaramatu Kingdom. We are not Itsekiri people and they know that so we are wondering why some youths are trying to fan embers of discord.”

Akori said the Ijaw people are peaceful people but would not fold their hands and watch the invaders who lay claim to their father land or try to cause disharmony among their neighbours.

He called on Governor Emmanuel Uduaghan to wade into the matter to forestall it snowballing into a major crisis between the Ijaws and Itsekiri.

Ikpokpo has a common boundary with an Itsekiri community, Madangho, also in Warri Southwest Local Government.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/2011/index.php/news/13121-five-injured-in-ijaw-itsekiri-clash.html
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by jason123: 2:47am On Jul 23, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Minorities. . Seems like you people know what your problems are. Jason, given the situation, I'd say that the answer is clear. Urge your people to deal swiftly and efficiently.

Nah, I am sure it will not lead to that stage. However, this just proved to me that there is nothing like NIger-delta republic and there will NEVER be a Niger-delta republic in the Future. ASE!!!!
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by aljharem(m): 2:53am On Jul 23, 2011
jason SMH at u undecided undecided
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by ChinenyeN(m): 3:01am On Jul 23, 2011
jason123:

Nah, I am sure it will not lead to that stage. However, this just proved to me that there is nothing like NIger-delta republic and there will NEVER be a Niger-delta republic in the Future. ASE!!!!
It will do you a world of good to remember who you're dealing with. The only assumption you should be making is that things could get worse.
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by 9javoice1(m): 3:21am On Jul 23, 2011
my candid sorry to my itsekiri neighbours. incase you need an ally in this crises pls don't ever call the opc(yorubas) if you dont want to loose the land finaly because the ijaws have no fear nor respect for the yorubas.infact they blv yorubas are cowards and weak. don't call igbo's too, bcus igbo's take the ijaws as little brother's and ca never fight them nor abandon the incase of war.
if you need an ally call the isoko's and uhrobo's. make it a family affair
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by 9javoice1(m): 3:25am On Jul 23, 2011
am happy uduaghan has not done anything stupid on this matter. let him stay calm and walk carefuly here bcus ijaws are no respecter of power and possition
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by aljharem(m): 3:27am On Jul 23, 2011
9ja voice:

am happy uduaghan has not done anything silly on this matter. let him stay calm and walk carefuly here bcus ijaws are no respecter of power and possition

so you think ijaws have monopoly on violence abi, don't be silly

boko haram has shown them worse

once itsekiri form there own miliant, then we can watch

NO ONE HAS MONOPOLY IN VIOLENCE, OK
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by Chyz2: 3:32am On Jul 23, 2011
alj harem:

so you think ijaws have monopoly on violence abi, don't be silly

boko haram has shown them worse

once itsekiri form there own miliant, then we can watch

NO ONE HAS MONOPOLY IN VIOLENCE, OK

Boko Haram,worse? I think not. Bombing with your hands behind your back is nothing like a people that come bare and with weapons and ready to throw down when it comes to war.
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by seanet02: 3:35am On Jul 23, 2011
Is anybody still in love with the ijaw? He should quickly warn them. Jason, what the hell are you talking about? Conquered land for where? We are coming to warri to deal decisively with them. Let me call sola edwards first
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by aljharem(m): 3:38am On Jul 23, 2011
Chyz*:

Boko Haram,worse? I think not. Bombing with your hands behind your back is nothing like a people that come bare and with weapons and ready to throw down when it comes to war.

okay, i dey laff at nigeria ooo

MEND gave birth to Boko haram

MEND gave birth Itsekiri militant

i dey laff seriously, bombing started with this people yet you people rather form southern nigeria with MEND than the north

they thought boko haram how to operate and excute bombs so people can die

lets see how this country called southern nigeria would be formed in peace
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by aljharem(m): 3:38am On Jul 23, 2011
seanet02:

Is anybody still in love with the ijaw? He should quickly warn them. Jason, what the hell are you talking about? Conquered land for where? We are coming to warri to deal decisively with them. Let me call sola edwards first

mouth mouth mouth LOL
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by Nobody: 3:44am On Jul 23, 2011
alj harem:

okay, i dey laff at nigeria ooo

MEND gave birth to Boko haram

MEND gave birth Itsekiri militant

i dey laff seriously, bombing started with this people yet you people rather form southern nigeria with MEND than the north

they thought boko haram how to operate and excute bombs so people can die

lets see how this country called southern nigeria would be formed in peace

The North has nothing good to offer other than political manipulation and Islamic agenda so we really don't give a rat ass about uniting with them!!

MEND over BOKO BASTARDS ANYDAY!!!
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by seanet02: 3:47am On Jul 23, 2011
Chyz*:

Na wetin self? What was the result in 02? This time around we will go with all force. Still watching from the sidelines before we go in to kill this barbarians. Jason who are you to Say we should not come and help you? Your itshekri leaders i trust will soon call on us and we will quickly destroyed the remaining illegal buildings there. Sorts of grenades, rocket launchers and machine guns are already available i swear. Either we come in to tore their a.rse to powder or we supply you just let up know which suits you.
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by seanet02: 3:52am On Jul 23, 2011
alj harem:

mouth mouth mouth LOL
This is not bragging and i swear. The mere fact that everybody is anonymous does not mean you should disregard their warning. You do not know the kind of person i am. Just let us keep it anonymous. You will soon understand am not bragging
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by Obiagu1(m): 4:10am On Jul 23, 2011
Conquered territory  grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

Ol'boy, I don clean my AK47 ready to make a move. I know the territory am eyeing, kai, opportunity don open oo!
Re: Ijaw Itsekiri Crisis Again by Obiagu1(m): 4:13am On Jul 23, 2011
All these Yoruba internet warriors with their big foul mouths.
So the Itekiris were sacked from their land for years yet you did nothing

I think it's time all of you abstain from posting on NL for one year. Yeye!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

CPC Statement On Buhari's 2015 Candidacy / Osun 2018 Inconclusive Election - Leave Mahmood Yakubu Alone - Dr. Chima Mathew / Lagos-ibadan Rail’ll Ready In June – Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.