Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,564 members, 7,809,059 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Handcuff Shortage Hits Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Handcuff Shortage Hits Police (4817 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu Refuses To Remove Handcuff, Come Down From Van / Checkout Olisa Metuh's Swag Today Immediately Handcuff Was Removed From Him(pics / Buhari's Handshake And Handcuff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by bashr4: 3:09am On Jul 25, 2011
By Yemi Akinsuyi

You are under arrest but there is no handcuff to tame you, the police officer may be forced to announce to a suspect soon. This is because, despite official denial, the police force has been hit by a shortage of the cold metal usually used to restrain violent suspects.

The police are already facing problems of inadequate logistics and equipment. Now it’s a drought of handcuffs.
The Deputy Force Public Relations Officer (DFPRO), Mr. Yemi Ajayi, told THISDAY there were enough handcuffs but that officers and men had been warned against indiscriminate use of the security gadget.
But senior police officers who spoke to THISDAY off the record said handcuff shortage had become a big headache as they seek to discharge their duties.

A Divisional Police Officer (DPO) in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja Command, said his division “has very few handcuffs and that in case there is emergency, my officers and men will be handicapped”.
The DPO explained that because handcuffs are metal, they rust easily.
“Since many of the ones given to my division are now bad, no replacement has been made so far,” he said.
The story is told of a police officer who arrested a criminal suspect, took him to the station and started asking for a pair of handcuffs frantically to no avail.

But the lack of handcuffs is not the only thing tying the hand of the police - even arms and ammunition could be scarce to come by too.
“It is not everything happening in the force that we can be discussing freely. If I tell you that we have just few communication gadgets in my division, will you believe?” a DPO said.

He added that his division does not have up to 20 per cent of arms and ammunition needed to fight crime in the area.
“How do you expect it to have enough handcuffs? I can’t say categorically how many handcuffs we have presently, but I can tell you that we don’t have up to six for the whole division. Until we stop deceiving ourselves and start telling the world the whole truth, it will take miracle to fight crimes and criminality in the country. I have written and written to the authorities to no avail. In fact, I think we should even thank God that we still have some arms and ammunition in the office. Some divisions are fighting crimes with almost their bare hands. This is not supposed to be so,” he lamented.
Another DPO in the South-western part of the country said although the state governor had done well in supplying logistics needed to fight crime, there was still a long way to go.

“Our governor has tried very hard in providing necessary equipment and logistics for the command but it is not enough. If the police high command could contribute their own quota to the development of crime fighting in the state, everybody should then go home to sleep with their two eyes closed. In my division, we have some handcuffs, I think up to like 13, but this is not still enough, putting into consideration the volatile nature of the state. We need more equipment to work effectively,” he said.
Handcuffs are specifically for violent criminals.
But they are also instruments of intimidation and humiliation, as innocent citizens will recount.
Tayo, a fresh graduate, said he had a little misunderstanding with his landlord, who in turn promised to “deal” with him.
“I was at home in the evening of the unfortunate day. It was on a Sunday. I had earlier gone to church and when I came back, I was tired. I managed to eat light food and after taking some malaria drugs, I slept off. Suddenly, I heard a loud bang on my door and in a jiffy, some heavily armed men in mufti had entered my apartment. They slapped, kicked, and even one of them threatened to shoot me at close range. All I could ask for was that these men should spare my life because I thought they were armed robbers,” he said.
Not until he was handcuffed did he know that they were policemen sent to “deal” with him by his landlord.

“Right from our house to the police station which is about two kilometres, I was led by these policemen and handcuffed like a common criminal. At the station, I was only told to apologise to my landlord and ‘grease’ the palm of the policemen. I was not asked to write any statement, neither was I told my offence but warned never to disrespect my landlord again. I left the policemen in the hands of God for divine judgement and also the landlord with his conscience,” he said.
Ajayi, in denying claims of handcuff shortage, said unlike before when policemen handcuffed citizens at the slightest offence, anyone caught in the act would be made to face the music.

“Based on the complaints of indiscriminate use of handcuffs, the police high authority had warned officers and men against such and that is why it seems as if police no longer have it. We are just being mature in handling issues that have to do with humans and I think the Nigeria Police deserve applause for this,” he said.
They would get an applause even from an arrested criminal. After all, his hands are not tied.

Tags: Nigeria, Featured, News
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by NegroNtns(m): 3:18am On Jul 25, 2011
Lol. Somebody been playing freaky at home with police handcuffs
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by folahann(m): 11:40am On Jul 25, 2011
I laugh in Ewe. Lord God have mercy cheesy
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by ideylaff: 11:41am On Jul 25, 2011

naaaaa Since, awon big boys bn' tying and handcuffing their chicks, babes and spare ribs, as per intimate innuendo,

but no one is surely going to risk using Nija Police handcuffs oooo, make the thing no go jam/refuse to unlock  na yawa be dat.
grin
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by blank(f): 11:44am On Jul 25, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

rotflmao. U av a dirty mind.
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 25, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

No wonder there is shortage of handcuffs since virtually most of the policemen will have to get one for themselves. . .their wives don die !
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jul 25, 2011
This is damn, they should start using rope grin
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 25, 2011
odiaero:

This is damn, they should start using rope grin

Without any resistance from a suspect,all he needs is just a razor blade to cut the rope.Left for me,I'd have recommened barbed wire. grin
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Bawss1(m): 12:29pm On Jul 25, 2011
There are dozens of companies that can supply handcuffs and other security equipment. The police should just place a tender for all they need, the funds will be made available if the government is serious about fighting crime. No need to come to the press and tell all.
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Arosa(m): 12:36pm On Jul 25, 2011
The police in the western world use these as hand cuffs, they are called cable ties. they are not expensive.

Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Sike(m): 1:10pm On Jul 25, 2011
Why are they Complaining?? They prayed daily to nab Criminals, now they are surrounded by Criminals. So
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jul 25, 2011
is dis good news or bad news??
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Ossaifamous(m): 1:55pm On Jul 25, 2011
na wah ooo abeg all this husbands contribute una own o
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Fhemmmy: 2:22pm On Jul 25, 2011
If the price is right, we could supply them in quantity . . . .
however, na money for hand, back for ground me dey do . . . except they wanna do a Pre-Order of hand cuffs
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by NegroNtns(m): 2:28pm On Jul 25, 2011
<quote>
Without any resistance from a suspect,all he needs is just a razor blade to cut the rope.Left for me,I'd have recommened barbed wire.
</quote>

Ah Bluetooth, barbed wire ke? Thank God you are not the IG of Police, human rights group for sue Nigeria.
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Flameboy26(m): 2:35pm On Jul 25, 2011
Wetin concern me, mtcheeeeeew
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Reference(m): 2:53pm On Jul 25, 2011
Bawss1:

There are dozens of companies that can supply handcuffs and other security equipment. The police should just place a tender for all they need, the funds will be made available if the government is serious about fighting crime. No need to come to the press and tell all.

Abi oh, or they should have called a conference of their constituents, professional and part-time baddies to announce their predicament. Can't even buy N 50 straps. Think they need to place cranial inspection and replacement in those tenders too.
As for arms and ammunition they need less not more. My goodness what have they done with those they have beyond hurt.
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by BigMeat2: 3:02pm On Jul 25, 2011
Since when has the NPF have handcuffs, looking at most criminals brought to police stations or courts they hardly have handcuffs on them.

This is not breaking news.
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Myself2(m): 3:17pm On Jul 25, 2011
Arosa:

The police in the western world use these as hand cuffs, they are called cable ties. they are not expensive.

Seconded,but only for suspects arrested for minor offences

They should get the damned cuffs for the other suspects.190,born2fuck and other bondage freaks should stop hoarding 'em damned cuffs
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by udokpuenyi(m): 3:22pm On Jul 25, 2011
If handcuffs are like guns that will b used to shoot innocent Nigerians, they should have ordered for it since
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 3:32pm On Jul 25, 2011
No wonder!i saw some groups of suspected criminals been tied with their shirt.they better try super glue av least is 20 naira.and they can use one for 3 people.if they know how to manage.
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by tlops(m): 3:33pm On Jul 25, 2011
blacksmith! show me ur "panda!"
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by philip0906(m): 3:42pm On Jul 25, 2011
did they ever have handcuffs?
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by bajam: 3:53pm On Jul 25, 2011
is this not africa, niger! the police do not need hand cuffs anymore. lets go back to the odden days where they use 'akaba, afaseyin, gbetugbetu and mayeun' to arrest criminals. in case NPF and FG yeild to my advice, call me the supply.
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by YoursGEJ(m): 4:41pm On Jul 25, 2011
folahann:

I laugh in Ewe. Lord God have mercy cheesy

, i laugh in boko.

All these I laugh in various languages wey i never hear before, I hope it is not madness. Btw, most of the handcuffs should be in psychiatric hospitals to restrain people like you. Mad people are more dangerous than ncriminals and there is one on the loose here on NL grin
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by chelseabmw(m): 5:26pm On Jul 25, 2011
~Bluetooth:

No wonder there is shortage of handcuffs since virtually most of the policemen will have to get one for themselves. . .their wives don die !

No,High Tension Wires is better
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Afam4eva(m): 5:29pm On Jul 25, 2011
Nigeria-the hub of comedy.

I dey laff.
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jul 25, 2011
chelseabmw:

No,High Tension Wires is better
High tension ke ? Sooner or later,Naija police go start to vandalize Phcn wires be that. .more darkness to the masses grin
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by r231(m): 5:56pm On Jul 25, 2011
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by Roland17(m): 6:06pm On Jul 25, 2011
With the level of corruption especially in the top hierarchy of the Nigerian police force and the government its no surprise. grin grin grin i dey laff in swahili!!!
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by eghost247(m): 6:26pm On Jul 25, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

Hahaha
Re: Handcuff Shortage Hits Police by dadicvila(m): 6:58pm On Jul 25, 2011
they should borrow handcuffs from the Lords resistance Army for the main time, shocked shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

See Full List Of Names Submitted By Buhari For Ministerial Positions / Photos From FCT Today May 4th 2020, After Release Of Lockdown(photos) / I Scolded My Girlfriend For Doing This, Did I Do Wrong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.