Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,662 members, 7,801,914 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. (10634 Views)

When A Girl Is Dating A Guy Who Is Not Ready For Marriage / Is Your Genotype Compatible With The Person You're Considering Marrying? / Having One Last Fling Before Marrying Him - Why It's A Bad Idea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by lisasmiles: 6:10am On Jul 25, 2011
I have a friend who has been dating a guy from Nigeria for over 9 months and she has falling in love with him and considering marrying him. He claims that he loves her as well. I see them together and they seem as if they are truly in love. My problem is with their relationship she found out the got married last year to a woman in Nigeria and they have a child together. She asked him about it and he claims that he had to marry her, because her father was the minister in the village and the father wanted to save face, because of his status in the village. She also told me that he said the marriage was not legal; it was just something that they did because she was pregnant at the time. Her guy said that the child lives with his mom and he claims that the only thing that he misses about Nigeria is his child. He claims that the mom is no longer in the child’s life, but I personally saw the mom and child pictured together on face book. I tried talking to my friend, but she is convinced that he is telling her the truth. She said that she talked with his mom and brother and they know that they are dating with the intent to get married and neither of them mention anything about the marriage. My question is could this be true as far as the marriage not being legal or is there a Nigerian law that marriages have to be legal? Is there a possibility that his family is in on hiding his secret marriage? She said that he is in America on a student visa and she does not want him to leave, so she is willing to marry him. Please Help Me Help Her,
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by tpia5: 6:15am On Jul 25, 2011
Eh.
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by lisasmiles: 6:19am On Jul 25, 2011
eh?
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by dohyn(m): 8:45am On Jul 25, 2011
If he got married to her,then it's legal.ur frnd can get married to him if she doesn't mind being the second wife, last time I checked,polygamy is not a crime in Nigeria,
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by Nobody: 9:26am On Jul 25, 2011
lisasmiles:

I have a friend who has been dating a guy from Nigeria for over 9 months and she has falling in love with him and considering marrying him. He claims that he loves her as well. I see them together and they seem as if they are truly in love. My problem is with their relationship she found out the got married last year to a woman in Nigeria and they have a child together. She asked him about it and he claims that he had to marry her, because her father was the minister in the village and the father wanted to save face, because of his status in the village. She also told me that he said the marriage was not legal; it was just something that they did because she was pregnant at the time. Her guy said that the child lives with his mom and he claims that the only thing that he misses about Nigeria is his child. He claims that the mom is no longer in the child’s life, but I personally saw the mom and child pictured together on face book. I tried talking to my friend, but she is convinced that he is telling her the truth. She said that she talked with his mom and brother and they know that they are dating with the intent to get married and neither of them mention anything about the marriage. My question is could this be true as far as the marriage not being legal or is there a Nigerian law that marriages have to be legal? Is there a possibility that his family is in on hiding his secret marriage? She said that he is in America on a student visa and she does not want him to leave, so she is willing to marry him. Please Help Me Help Her,
I dont know why you cannot mind your business,You are not happy they are together and want to destroy the two.Are you the mother,father,guardian.you are just a friend.If he had lied that he did not have a child and she finds out,you are the same people that will say Nigerians are this and that,Mind your business
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by MrsChima(f): 10:52am On Jul 25, 2011
LMAO@one reply that was expected. grin grin grin grin grin grin

It is a marriage for Immigration purposes. If she doesn't mind being a sloppy second then that on her.

What I don't get is why would--------never mind. I forgot where I was for a minute.

Desperation is mofo apparently.
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by 190: 11:28am On Jul 25, 2011
OP

Ever heard of
[size=28pt]GREEN CARD[/size] SERVICES
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jul 25, 2011
there are many ways to confirm if he is playing her or not, marriage is a BIG step and you are right to worry about your friends because some people out there are blinded by love and dont use their brain to evaluate the situation.

- there are always THREE sides to a story, if you said that you saw the African wife pictures on FB then why dont you contact her and let her give her side of the story?
- since there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding Africa then why dont they go to Africa to sort it all out?
- as someone rightly said before, if your friend doesnt mind being a second wife then let them get married then.
- why does your friend wants to get married? is it because thats what she wants OR because he needs it to stay in the country?
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by Nobody: 3:25pm On Jul 25, 2011
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by kpolli(m): 3:48pm On Jul 25, 2011
Any body that comes here n spoils a fellow Nigerian's chance to get pally dey find my trouble. . . .

No dey spoil another bros hard earned business
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by Nobody: 4:44pm On Jul 25, 2011
OP your friend is probably being used by this nigerian guy for papers.Better you wise up your friend or we might have a broken hearted lady coming here the next day crying about how some nigerian guy used and dumped her for visa grin
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by kpolli(m): 4:52pm On Jul 25, 2011
^^^ bros u dey mad?

y u wan come spoil business for my guy naaa

r u from Samaria?
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 25, 2011
kpolli na u be the man wey dey use the OP friend for maga? grin grin
grin grin
jus a warning, maga money dey run belle oo! grin
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by claremont(m): 5:05pm On Jul 25, 2011
@OP: It will be wise if you MIND YOUR OWN DAMN BUSINESS and stop interfering in other people's relationships. If indeed your friend's boyfriend is a crook, I believe your friend is mature enough to make her own decisions and learn from her own mistakes. No go put sand sand for my 9ja bros garri oh, bad belle person like you are angry angry!!!
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by kpolli(m): 5:08pm On Jul 25, 2011
as belle never start to dey run, free am. . .

me i still dey naija oooo, dey look for maga wey go gimme green card. . .

and am seriously considering this poster, to keep her busy while my guy gets his
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 25, 2011
so na kpolli and claremont dey do the runs together grin grin
god don catch una two today grin
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by horny4u(f): 5:28pm On Jul 25, 2011
Good friend even if your friend found out he is with her for a green card , he will still spin her and your friend will still fall mugu, na so!
Just step aside you cannot stop someone from learning their lessons and experiences, when the chips come down , be there for her and never say i told you so  cry cry  Noone but her can save her on his journey
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by lisasmiles: 5:47pm On Jul 25, 2011
@ MRbrownJAY - I did contact the wife and she only said that they were married and they do have a child together, in-which I already knew. She never said that the marriage was legal, she wanted to know who I was and I told her. I explained to her exactly what the husband said that he is not legally married to her and that he have no intentions on going back to her. She never reply back.
@claremont - This is my business. So you could have kept your comment to yourself.
@tom28 - If he is marrying her for papers I spoke with an attorney and if she could prove that he was married before he married her his green card can be null and void. I have that proof. I just wanted to make sure if over in Nigeria they had non-legal marriages.
@Mrs.Chima - My friend is not desperate, I believe that her man is just very persuasive and she indeed love him.
@Dohyn - Polygamy might be legal in Nigeria, but it is not legal in America, it is frown upon here in the US.
@olas2u - Maybe you do not know what friendship is, but here we are as close as sisters, so I am her family. He was honest as far as the baby and her mom, but he never mention the marriage until she comforted him about it.
@kpolli - I am not try to spoil anything, if that is his purpose I just feel like he need to tell her, she just might do it out of the kindness of her heart.
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jul 25, 2011
lisa in nigeria a man can have 28 wives and nobody is going to do anything about it.Polygamy is much legal in naija but very inconvinient and this explains why child labour is on the rise in nigeria.The Govt ought to ban poor ppl frm engaging in polygamy but then all the nigeria govt is intrested in is looting.
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by Mynd44: 6:17pm On Jul 25, 2011
^^^
And all you are intrested in doing is bashing them right?
@OP, GREEN CARD
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jul 25, 2011
tom28:

lisa in nigeria a man can have 28 wives and nobody is going to do anything about it.Polygamy is much legal in naija but very inconvinient and this explains why child labour is on the rise in nigeria.The Govt ought to ban poor ppl frm engaging in polygamy but then all the nigeria govt is intrested in is looting.
what nonsense are you writing here,you dont paint Nigeria wrongly,there are laws in our country.Do you go to the law courts.You better wake up.
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by nanidee2(f): 6:26pm On Jul 25, 2011
@ OP, it's glaring that the guy isn't being real and truthful to her. She has to thread very softly. The fact that she found out about this marriage thing and still wants to go ahead with him clearly shows that she's putting herself in jeopardy. I mean, its glaring, and for all I care, his family members are playing along with him, and in the end she's going to be the one to cry. I could easily tell u how the whole thing is gonna play out.

You say you contacted the wife, and she never replied after u had a chat with her? Well, that's simply because she was hurt by how her husband is denying her. (She's probably whooping his as*s over the phone or the internet, and he's probably telling her "don't worry darling, I am doing all this for you"wink

Your friend had better take off those love glasses and face reality. She should involve her head in this, and not just her heart.
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jul 25, 2011
olas2u:

what nonsense are you writing here,you dont paint Nigeria wrongly,there are laws in our country.Do you go to the law courts.You better wake up.
Is this the law you talking about?
Since when did nigeria have laws?
Lets not deceieve ourslelf nigeria is a lawless country were anything goes.

Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by xxcarolxx(f): 6:53pm On Jul 25, 2011
Your friend is heading for heartbreak. The guy will marry her for green card and as soon as he gets it, he will make arrangements to bring his wife over, You can only try and get through to your friend with the hope she will listen, Since he is married it's legal,
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by claremont(m): 6:58pm On Jul 25, 2011
@OP: It seems you are so fixated on destroying your friend's relationship, because you have already concluded that her boyfriend is dating her for papers. Good, but why come on a Nigerian website asking for advice from Nigerians to spoil a Nigerian man's relationship with your friend?! My own position is that this issue reeks of petty jealousy and envy, you have seen the loving way we Nigerian men take care of our women, and because no one bothers to look at you, you are now so determined to spoil someone else's bliss. Grow up, and leave two consenting adults to live their lives and learn from their own mistakes!
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jul 25, 2011
tom28:

Is this the law you talking about?
Since when did nigeria have laws?
Lets not deceieve ourslelf nigeria is a lawless country were anything goes.
[/quote
l travel more and understand different societies and know there are know perfect society and systems.Keep condeming your place of origin .How can you come on a forum and judge people by just a mere right up .She is not married and does not want to lose her friend.she will be happy when she is single again.
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by MrsChima(f): 9:38pm On Jul 25, 2011
OP

I do not mean any offense but I must say this. Any woman or man that sleeps with a MARRIED man regardless if he is SEPARATED, CONFUSED, or ABANDONED is DESPERATE.

This scenario SCREAMS [size=66pt]GREEN CARD LOVE.[/size]
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by MrsChima(f): 9:41pm On Jul 25, 2011
xxcarolxx:

Your friend is heading for heartbreak. The guy will marry her for green card and as soon as he gets it, he will make arrangements to bring his wife over, You can only try and get through to your friend with the hope she will listen, Since he is married it's legal,

I am glad I wasn''t the only one who SAW THAT COMING. We both know that he is with her for GREEN CARD. I am not saying ALL will do it but these ladies better start checking for PAPERS before hand.

Oh well. Some will have to live through it to get it. I guess. Get the tissue ready OP.
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by MrsChima(f): 9:46pm On Jul 25, 2011
MRbrownJAY:

there are many ways to confirm if he is playing her or not, marriage is a BIG step and you are right to worry about your friends because some people out there are blinded by love and dont use their brain to evaluate the situation.

- there are always THREE sides to a story, if you said that you saw the African wife pictures on FB then why dont you contact her and let her give her side of the story?
- since there seems to be a lot of confusion regarding Africa then why dont they go to Africa to sort it all out?
- as someone rightly said before, if your friend doesnt mind being a second wife then let them get married then.
- why does your friend wants to get married? is it because thats what she wants OR because he needs it to stay in the country?

She admitted that his student visa about to run out and she WILL MARRY him just so he can stay.  Now if that REAL LOVE I don't want it. 

What's get to me is that THE MAN has a wife back home REGARDLESS if it isn't done by court of law he is married legally under the eye of the MOST HIGH. People assumed that in order to be legally married you need court documents when in fact they do not but to CLAIM property and division of children then MARITAL CONTRACT must be signed.

In some states in America if a man and woman lives together for 2 years they are considered common law married. That's no different than a man and a woman in a village professing their love in marriage without COURT DOCUMENTS. Same thing different smell.
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by silverstud: 10:09pm On Jul 25, 2011
The poster is a hypocrite, there are American Men who go to Russia, Ukraine, Columbia, Brazil, etc to find Wifes. Because they are Old and No One in America will Marry them, These Men get the benefit of sleeping with young pretty girls , while the Girls get the benefit of coming to America, Everyone knows that these marriages for not for love but are mutually beneficial,

How is that different from an African, Carribean, South American, and Yes European man who dates an American Girls, give her love and affection, plus heavy Mandingo (that they will never experience in their lives) and benefits by getting a Green Card.

Guys please wake up, every relationship/marriage is a contract that both parties are gaining from one way or the other, unfortunately it does not last forever,
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by MrsChima(f): 10:16pm On Jul 25, 2011
(hitting a high note) 
[size=16pt]Grrrrreeeeen Caaaaard Looooooooove or Bluuuuuue Caaaard Loooooove.[/size]
Re: My Friend Is Dating A Man From Nigeria And Considering Marrying Him. by claremont(m): 10:27pm On Jul 25, 2011
@silverstud: May your days be long, you are so on point!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Meet A Sexy 63-year-old Grandmother With The Body Of An 18-year-old girl(Photos) / Tell Us Those Romantic Words You Use To "Woo" Your Spouse!!! / Let Us Appreciate Our Nigerian Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.