Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,581 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:45 PM

Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise (1661 Views)

Message To Nairaland Programmers On Programming and Success / Nairaland Programmers That Share Language And City In Common / Is This What Big IT Firms Do? Please Help Me Out Nairaland Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by jejelife(m): 1:23pm On Jul 26, 2011
Although I happen to be a medical scientist by training but I have great interest in computing i really love working with computers this interest made me to learn web programming from a friend of mine studying computer science during our university's days. I was introduced to php and mysql db by this friend of mine and ever since have never looked back. In the mean time, i decided to take my programming skills to another level, i decided to start learning Java on my own just of recent, but it has really been difficult for me understanding java, have read many E-books on java several times but am still having problem with java please i need your assistance I will be very happy if i can be connected with a java programmer on-line that can put me through the rudiments of java have already installed java development tool kit 6 and Netbean on my system please i need your reply.
thanks
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Fayimora(m): 2:54pm On Jul 26, 2011
I know a lot of good java programmers here. However, the way it works is, you try to solve a problem, keep trying until you cry.lol. Then you bring the problem here, someone would put you through and show you ur mistakes, and then you go back and finish it up.
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Mobinga: 9:23pm On Jul 26, 2011
When I started it was atrocious! I left Java and went to PHP. Made me understand more about programming. Went back to java. Still learning.

Read every thing programming related. Go to stackoverflow and see the kind of monster programmers there, I reckon that would spur you on.!

Just be enthusiastic.
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by KoolPitt(m): 11:34pm On Jul 26, 2011
I think you just have to be patient and don't force it. Whenever you get to a road block, relax give yourself a break and get back to it. With time u'll become an addict!
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by talk2hb1(m): 10:26am On Jul 27, 2011
The same for me too when I got started with JAVA. I think you should analyzes what is giving you headache first and post it here that is how help can come in. many Thanks to fayimora with his magic formula. He helped me out when I was having problem too with java especialy the OOP aspect.
cheerio bro help is on the way grin grin
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Shimao(m): 11:18am On Jul 27, 2011
We've all been there. It's the paradigm shift that unsettles when learning an OOP language. Open your mind, give it time and you'll have your "Oh Oooooooh!" soon.
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Kobojunkie: 6:59pm On Jul 28, 2011
I consider PHP a terrible language, so I think your problem may come from the fact that your introduction to programming began with the most silly of them all. Try focusing on JavaScript, as much of what you have in JavaScript, translate directly to Java. With time, you probably get yourself into programming language state of mind and learning Java then would become much easier then. This is my opinion
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by BinaryMonk: 2:35pm On Jul 29, 2011
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Fayimora(m): 4:04pm On Jul 29, 2011
[size=16pt]Thanks[/size]
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Mobinga: 10:53am On Jul 30, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I consider PHP a terrible language, so I think your problem may come from the fact that your introduction to programming began with the most silly of them all. Try focusing on JavaScript, as much of what you have in JavaScript, translate directly to Java. With time, you probably get yourself into programming language state of mind and learning Java then would become much easier then. This is my opinion

My God. You consider php as a terrible language and Javascript is not? Wow. This is a first.
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Kobojunkie: 5:33pm On Jul 30, 2011
Mobinga:

My God. You consider php as a terrible language and Javascript is not? Wow. This is a first.

I know . . . I really do believe that. Javascript is a better client side-technology -- PHP on the other hand I would compare to what JQuery is to JS, only on the server side.
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Seun(m): 10:50pm On Jul 30, 2011
How to learn Java:

1) Download the latest version of the JDK here:
- http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

2) Download the latest version of Netbeans here:
- http://netbeans.org/downloads/
- http://dlc.sun.com.edgesuite.net/netbeans/7.0/final/bundles/netbeans-7.0-ml-windows.exe

3) Read the Java tutorial on Netbeans website.

Good luck!
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Nobody: 5:27pm On Jul 31, 2011
haba Seun, u wan scare the dude?

OP,
1. please checkout bucky on youtube, he has kicka55 videos that will not only get you up and running but make you love Java.

Fayimora:

I know a lot of good java programmers here. However, the way it works is, you try to solve a problem, keep trying until you cry.lol. Then you bring the problem here, someone would put you through and show you your mistakes, and then you go back and finish it up.
and follow this advise, when done, give urself another problem to solve.

3.be warned you dont drop programming once you start, u'll be old school in a matter of weeks.

Kobojunkie:

php is not bad as you have painted it, maybe your interest lies in Javascript.
have you ever tried reading production javascript from google, facebook etc?
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Fayimora(m): 8:11pm On Jul 31, 2011
webdezzi:

1. please checkout bucky on youtube, he has kicka55  videos that will not only get you up and running but make you love Java.
[size=15pt]Every good programmer i know warns against such, myself inclusive. Programming style matters, if you don't have your style then sorry, your shitty. If you are going to watch ny youtube vids make sure you have a style. Kinda difficult to explain in words but those vids force you to follow a particular style, reading detailed books is way better as you learn something and you manipulate it yourself. Its just like reading `Headfirst java` when you havent done anything java before, learning OOP without even knowing what its made up of.

Am not saying you shouldn't watch those vids but its good not to make them your number 1 priority.

I always end up typing the same thing always so am just gonna pass a link. Have a look at this[/size]
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Mobinga: 9:03pm On Jul 31, 2011
Bucky's tutorials? -_-
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Nobody: 7:42am On Aug 01, 2011
Mobinga:

Bucky's tutorials? -_-
yes Bucky Roberts

Fayimora:

[size=15pt]Every good programmer i know warns against such, myself inclusive. Programming style matters, if you don't have your style then sorry, your shitty. If you are going to watch ny youtube vids make sure you have a style. Kinda difficult to explain in words but those vids force you to follow a particular style, reading detailed books is way better as you learn something and you manipulate it yourself. Its just like reading `Headfirst java` when you havent done anything java before, learning OOP without even knowing what its made up of.

Am not saying you shouldn't watch those vids but its good not to make them your number 1 priority.

I always end up typing the same thing always so am just gonna pass a link. Have a look at this[/size]

i just dey hear dat one o.

make i yarn u true talk
now now as i dey follow you yarn, ehn? Netbean dey open, i con get 2063 line java code wey i don write, 3 other classes wey go join am when i wan compile. if i reach T junction, i go google, the good tin be say na everyday i dey learn as i dey always gif myself new new project wey papa no send me, i don stuff house with easy to make meals in case hunger wan show. I don drop the bucky tutorial tey tey, i don dey grow my experience 4 the language be dat, siddon dia dey look for style. style go soon come. grin
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Nobody: 7:48am On Aug 01, 2011
^
Pray tell, what projects have you completed?
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Nobody: 10:41am On Aug 01, 2011
omo_to_dun, am 80% done on one. will sure post it here for reviews. you are going to like it.
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Fayimora(m): 2:48pm On Aug 01, 2011
[size=15pt]Seems to me like you just wanna be someone that types code and as long as it works, your good cheesy Does that sound nice to you?[/size]
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Nobody: 7:12am On Aug 02, 2011
sure, I started out that way, now i go back to those old codes and laugh seriously at myself.
most of the times, i rewrite them.

Experience, we acquire them with time
see how uncoordinated 2face was in the days, chai money good o

[flash=425,349]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvvu4Dg0eUQ[/flash]
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 02, 2011
^
LMBAO. LOL. HHAHAHAHHAHA, BUhahahahaha. OMFG, that video is so effing funny, it takes me back to the good old times. Damn, Money is good o. Look at Tuface looking like a house boy. I am dieing as I am typing this. Chei, I no fit laugh again. I don die o. But webdezzi , you are a mean and bad guy, where did you get this from? Chei, you have made my day. Money is effing good. Damn.
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by uroot: 6:16pm On Aug 02, 2011
jeje_life:

Although I happen to be a medical scientist by training but I have great interest in computing i really love working with computers this interest made me to learn web programming from a friend of mine studying computer science during our university's days. I was introduced to php and mysql db by this friend of mine and ever since have never looked back. In the mean time, i decided to take my programming skills to another level, i decided to start learning Java on my own just of recent, but it has really  been difficult for me understanding java, have read many E-books on java several times but am still having problem with java please i need your assistance I will be very happy if i can be connected with a java programmer on-line that can put me through the rudiments of java have already installed java development tool kit 6 and Netbean on my system please i need your reply.
thanks
whats your email ? we'll work out something 4u
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by jejelife(m): 10:52pm On Aug 02, 2011
@u_root: thanks u_root here is my email adebayoishola2003@gmail.com
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Kobojunkie: 1:30am On Aug 04, 2011
webdezzi:

php is not bad as you have painted it, maybe your interest lies in Javascript.
have you ever tried reading production javascript from google, facebook etc?

My interest does not lie in JavaScript at all. I simply informed the @Poster that Java and JavaScript have close syntax and so if he is good in the one, he would probably find it a bit easier to migrate to the server language.

PHP is, in my opinion as bad as I make it out to be. JavaScript remains quite easy to read, production or not.
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 14, 2011
want to share some bad part of the language?
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 14, 2011
Re: Nairaland Programmers I Need Your Advise by Nobody: 3:18pm On Aug 19, 2011
omo_to_dun:

This is not true. It depends on the programmer, not the language. I have read hideous PHP and hideous Javascript code. I have also read clean, easy to read, well documented PHP and Javascript code.
on point.

Most beginners rely on experts' views, while i was coming up, i believe Flash websites are bad, heavy, not SEO friendly and wise to avoid them.
There is nothing comparable to believing in your own research.

(1) (Reply)

Beginning Coders Get Dirty / Help On J2me Mobile App Development / What Is The Future Of Vb.net?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.