Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM (15614 Views)

Nigerian King And His 4 Wives In Matching Outfits Causes Stir In London / Thousands Of Topless Swaziland's Virgins Dance For King To Celebrate Womanhood / National Museum Esie: House Of Images (the First Museum In Nigeria) Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 8:36pm On Jul 26, 2011
STAUNTON — The Eze Nri, King of the Nri clan of Nigeria, will be visiting the Frontier Culture Museum on Saturday, July 30, when he will bless the Museum's Igbo Farm Village and its ritual objects.

The aim is to establish the farm as a place dedicated to the preservation of traditional Igbo culture, the museum said.

The Eze Nri, in addition to being king of the Nri clan, is considered the custodian of Igbo tradition and culture, and is the central spiritual figure in traditional Igbo religion.
The town of Nri is widely regarded as a holy place and the center of Igbo civilization.

The Eze Nri will be accompanied by Igwe Christopher Idigo, Ogalagidi I of Aguleri, another high-ranking Igbo traditional ruler closely connected to the Eze Nri.

http://www.newsleader.com/article/20110725/NEWS01/110725012/Nigerian-king-visit-Frontier-Culture-Museum

Ézè Ǹrì usually doesn't come out for anything, he's the most important man in Igboland, most people don't know this. Can this museum be a mini Mecca for Igbo in the United States?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by AndreUweh(m): 8:44pm On Jul 26, 2011
Interesting.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by AndreUweh(m): 8:45pm On Jul 26, 2011
ezeagu:

http://www.newsleader.com/article/20110725/NEWS01/110725012/Nigerian-king-visit-Frontier-Culture-Museum

Ézè Ǹrì usually doesn't come out for anything, he's the most important man in Igboland, most people don't know this. Can this museum be a mini Mecca for Igbo in the United States?
Not true.

1 Like

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 8:48pm On Jul 26, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Not true.

In Igbo culture and religion, he is.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 9:16pm On Jul 26, 2011
People are going to start catching the wrong impression, if they haven't already.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 9:19pm On Jul 26, 2011
That he's the king of Igbo people?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Palmaboy: 9:40pm On Jul 26, 2011
ezeagu:

What is his name? because i don't know him, so much for being the most important Nri man.

He doesn't come out in Nri for anything but he is flying sharp sharp to America.

ezeagu:

That he's the king of Igbo people?

Please stop decieving people with such blatant lies. He's no king to People in Enugu like me, dunno about Nri people though.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ifyalways(f): 9:53pm On Jul 26, 2011
Eze Nri more important/popular than Eze Aro?anyways,that would be debate for another day maka na Igbo ama eze.

@Topic,interesting
Romeo,nice observation.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 10:19pm On Jul 26, 2011
Palmaboy:

What is his name? because i don't know him, so much for being the most important Nri man.

He doesn't come out in Nri for anything but he is flying sharp sharp to America.

Do you know the name of your villages deity?

Palmaboy:

Please stop decieving people with such blatant lies. He's no king to People in Enugu like me, dunno about Nri people though.

Tusha a tusha. It was a question.

ifyalways:

Eze Nri more important/popular than Eze Aro?anyways,that would be debate for another day maka na Igbo ama eze.

@Topic,interesting
Romeo,nice observation.

Eze Nri is historically more important than Eze Aro. The question was never about popularity. The important parts of Igbo religion and culture come from Nri.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by AndreUweh(m): 10:39pm On Jul 26, 2011
On this day, the most important position in Igboland is held by Amb Ralph Uwechue.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 10:41pm On Jul 26, 2011
That's political 20th century Ohaneze, we're talking about Omenala na i fe alusi. There's a reason they called Eze Nri and not Ralph Uwechue.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Afam4eva(m): 11:10pm On Jul 26, 2011
He's the king of Nri kingdom and nothing else. Though he will be revered by Igbos for being the head of the town where Igbos supposedly originated from.

I've always wondered why he's not as popular as the Obi of Onitsha,Obi of Achalla, Ahagba of Asaba and the Dein of Agbor.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 11:26pm On Jul 26, 2011
1. Eze Nri is the head of Igbo culture, a little more than just the king of nri.
2. Nri is not considered as the place where all Igbo people came from.
3. Eze Nri does not get involved in politics like other monarchies.
4. All the kings you posted are from towns that were directly or indirectly descended from Nri, hence are Nri sons.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 11:34pm On Jul 26, 2011
First of all, I don't buy the whole "spiritual head" or "head of anything" bit. That aside, as the years go by, I doubt the propagated position of Nri influence in terms of "Igbo" culture/religions. It seems to me that like we likely owe more of that to the Isu people than Nri.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 11:34pm On Jul 26, 2011
The most important parts of religion is from Nri.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 11:47pm On Jul 26, 2011
Those parts are?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 11:56pm On Jul 26, 2011
The Market Days
Taboos
Chineke and Chukwu supreme deity
Yam medicine, and Yam mythology
Foundation of some of the deities, like the Ikenga cult.
And some other smaller things including symbolism, (ọmu).
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 12:35am On Jul 27, 2011
I can't speak on the market days (I'll have to go look into that), and I don't know Nri taboos (mind expanding on that?). I have my reservations on Chineke, but Chukwu I know is not Nri. Yam culture I highly doubt, because the Isu have their own tales regarding that, from what I'm told. Ikenga I've heard of from Anambra/Enugu people, and Omu I've only read about here on NL.

When I think of Nri contribution to "Igbo" culture, the only thing (or should I say main thing) that crosses my mind is Ozo or whatever title-system it is that is centered around Nri & ritualism (I'm guessing this is where the taboos come in). Outside of that I seriously doubt Nri influence or claims of Nri ownership over certain things.

1 Like

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 12:42am On Jul 27, 2011
In any case though, regardless of who founded what, one thing that I am certainly inclined to say is that I at least credit the Isu with the diffusion of ideas/cultural aspects labeled as "typical Igbo".

1 Like

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 12:45am On Jul 27, 2011
The story/mythology of the market days is from/involves Nri (as in the story of the counting of the market weeks). It's also in Nri that there's the Igu Aro festival, in the olden days Igbo communities used to visit Nri for a yam medicine and to pay tribute. The story of yams importance is also from Nri (I wouldn't say yam's cultivation started in Nri, although they might have helped in domesticating it), the idea of a supreme deity is said to be from Nri, the ọmu is a symbol of peace used by the Nri messengers of peace. The only taboos I've read coming out of Nri is that of the birth of twins and the killing of pythons (the messenger of the earth goddess).

The ones I'm definite on is the ikenga cult (an Nri cult), the market weeks, the yam medicine, and the taboos.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by dempeople(m): 1:36am On Jul 27, 2011
Ezeagu is very correct.

I'm from Ajalli in Anambra. Historically, our ancestors arrived from the Aro Confederacy . Many customs of the Aro are still practiced by my town's people. We even dress like the Aro and our dialect arrived with us from the Confederacy and still is widely spoken among us though I must say I hardly converse in it but in Onitsha Igbo dialect.

Ajalli as it is, was leased to my ancestors (and our town people's ancestors) by another boundary town called Akpu. As they say, the lease is now history!

Though I'm an Anambra man, I very much still see myself as a direct descendant of the Confederacy and a full-blooded Aro man.

That being said and by general consensus, many Ndiigbo like myself personally consider the Eze Nri as the most important man in Igboland before the Eze Aro in hierarchy. I see him as the central custodian of Igbo culture unlike the Eze Aro although both kingdom and confederacy were equally powerful, historically.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 1:57am On Jul 27, 2011
Well, Nri has no place in my culture, aside from all these supposed things people keep propagating and crediting Nri with.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 2:14am On Jul 27, 2011
Politics and culture should be separate, that's what killed Nri.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ifyalways(f): 6:48am On Jul 27, 2011
Ndi Nri na akpu aru. ie when someone commits certain crimes that are seen as a taboo eg ikwu udo(sucide),inwu from ibi,a visit is made to Nri to get men that would help bury such men.

That's just about the only thing i think is special with Nri.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ezeagu(m): 5:32pm On Jul 27, 2011
ifyalways:

Ndi Nri na akpu aru. ie when someone commits certain crimes that are seen as a taboo eg ikwu udo(sucide),inwu from ibi,a visit is made to Nri to get men that would help bury such men.

That's just about the only thing i think is special with Nri.

Na Arochukwu?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ChinenyeN(m): 6:19pm On Jul 27, 2011
I thought it was the slave that trade killed Nri.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by ifyalways(f): 6:56pm On Jul 27, 2011
ezeagu:

Na Arochukwu?
Ehen owu Ndi Aro?
Oh confusion full my head.

btw,where is "asha"?he is MIA,ezeogu and co,o nwere onye huru asha?
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:47pm On Jul 27, 2011
Ezeagu is right. may Lord Chukwu bless my Igbo brothers of the South and drive away the evil spirit of jesus from the heartlands of Igboland.

some false deities lyk jesus look good, but are evil. True Deities lyk Chukwu look evil but are Good. (hence exemplifying the balance of the two opposing forces)

Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Ngodigha: 8:58pm On Jul 27, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

Ezeagu is right. may Lord Chukwu bless my Igbo brothers of the South and drive away the evil spirit of jesus from the heartlands of Igboland.
Pig, what do you mean on the bolded part?.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:00pm On Jul 27, 2011
Dog, i mean that jesus is a evil prost.titute lover from the arid deserts of Arabia where the heat make everyone go mad. such mad people die and their spirits do not rest until they torment the entire world.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by Ngodigha: 9:26pm On Jul 27, 2011
PAGAN 9JA:

Dog, i mean that jesus is a evil prost.titute lover from the arid deserts of Arabia where the heat make everyone go mad. such mad people die and their spirits do not rest until they torment the entire world.
Monkey shitt-licker, renounce the above or else you will die within 72 hours. I decree it.
Re: Ézè Ǹrì gi gá Frontier Culture Museum | Nigerian king to visit FCM by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:42pm On Jul 27, 2011
oh vulgar man. you are a disgusting fella. I decree that you will undergo some serious suferring within the next two years if you dont repent and revert back to the old Gods and also apologize to me. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Anambra Ruler Drags His Subject To Court For Refusing To Address Him As "Igwe" / Arrival Of A New Baby Amongst Ndigbo. / Ondo Masquerades Arrested After Robbery Operation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.