Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,404 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:57 PM

What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? (24606 Views)

The Newly-coined Full Meaning Of B-U-H-A-R-I / Awolowo Coined The Name 'Naira' For Our Currency / Who Coined The Word '9ja' and 'Naija'? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 5:50am On Jul 27, 2011
What group of people coined the name Lagos and what does it mean in their language?
i need answers please (thank you)  cool smiley
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by NegroNtns(m): 5:54am On Jul 27, 2011
Portuguese/lagoon
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 5:59am On Jul 27, 2011
Thanks do u knw what it means too, will appreciate it if u do
THANKS AGAIN, PRECIATE IT cool
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by tpia5: 6:02am On Jul 27, 2011
it means lagoon.

is there a problem.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Chyz2: 6:05am On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

it means lagoon.

is there a problem.

Calm down baby kiss
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 6:12am On Jul 27, 2011
ohhh, my slow self, thanks,
there is no problem, just doing a project!
Thank God for NLAND smiley
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by tpia5: 6:15am On Jul 27, 2011
^^yes, lagos means lagoon and is a portuguese word, not from any african language AT ALL.

common knowledge actually, unless you're not nigerian.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 6:18am On Jul 27, 2011
tpia@:

^^yes, lagos means lagoon and is a portuguese word, not from any african language AT ALL.
shocked shocked shocked shocked
shoo nonsense
i even thought it an african name, and where on earth did the portuguese came frm, did they for once, used to dominate lagos
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by tpia5: 6:19am On Jul 27, 2011
Donlittle:

shocked shocked shocked shocked
shoo nonsense
i even thought it an african name,

you dont say!!!
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by 1luvkipsus: 7:34am On Jul 27, 2011
Lagoon,in Portugues means 'logos'.Lagos is coined from 'logos'.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by homerac7: 8:25am On Jul 27, 2011
It's short form of Portuguese name of d place, Lago de Curamo. D last part can still b heard in names like k/curamo waters and beach.

Just like Calabar too is from Portuguese calebra(=snake)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Gbenge77(m): 12:56pm On Jul 27, 2011
Whatever.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 27, 2011
Lagos logoon. Nigeria niger what about boko haramcheesy
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 27, 2011
Lagos logoon. Nigeria niger what about boko haramcheesy
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by vicoloni(m): 1:13pm On Jul 27, 2011
Lagos Lagoon, Nigeria Niger, Boko Haram Buka, Awhat Awhop Akuwarapa! Nonsense!!
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Saheed9: 1:14pm On Jul 27, 2011
Nice replies
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by surdik(m): 1:16pm On Jul 27, 2011
L - Love
A - All
G - Girls
O - On
S - Saturday , Lol
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by rahouf1: 1:17pm On Jul 27, 2011
please kindly contact our HRH and elders in lagos island to clarify you on these,they will know better.

thank you
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by otiigba1(m): 1:18pm On Jul 27, 2011
vicoloni:

Lagos Lagoon, Nigeria Niger, Boko Haram Buka, Awhat Awhop Akuwarapa! Nonsense!!
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin some weird people on here grin grin grin
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by IBEXY(m): 1:28pm On Jul 27, 2011
I think the early Portuguese traders. I think also they have a place called Lagos in Portugal.
What of "Eko" ? where's that from?
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by sayso: 1:40pm On Jul 27, 2011
IBEXY:

I think the early Portuguese traders. I think also they have a place called Lagos in Portugal.
Now the anxiousness continues.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by mckane1: 1:47pm On Jul 27, 2011
Eko is a Bini word meaning camp. Lagos was a base camp during the great Benin Empire which span from Asaba to Dahomey

1 Like

Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Excellent7(m): 1:52pm On Jul 27, 2011
The Portuguese being great explorers on the sea were the first Europeans to make contact with the entitl now known as Nigeria through the coasts. Though unlike the British that came much later did not have expansionist tendencies. Lagos is of portuguese origin  and means Lake. The  Portuguese word for Lake or Lakes is Lagos. I guess Lagos must have seemed to them to possess or surrounded by lakes. (portuguese for beach(es) is Praia(s).
It might intererst you to know that there is a town with these co-ordinates 37° 6′ 0″ N, 8° 40′ 0″ W called Lagos in the Algarve region in southern Portugal. This used to be the greatest slave market in Europe around the 15th century but today is a very popular among tourists for its beaches among other things especially in the summer like now.
I guess the Portuguese did!perhaps they saw similarities between it and their own town  back home with beautiful  beaches and the warmth of the sun.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by NegroNtns(m): 1:59pm On Jul 27, 2011
Mc-kane,

Eko is not a Bini word.
-------------

<quote>

</quote>

Eko is shorthened from "Erekosi", an Awori word for pepper farm.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Mobinga: 2:03pm On Jul 27, 2011
L - Lousy
A - Anuses
G - Gaped
O - Open
S - SexualIy
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by yoddy(m): 2:03pm On Jul 27, 2011
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Redman44(m): 2:03pm On Jul 27, 2011
Yeah, there is a city in Portugal called Lagos. The Portuguese were the first Europeans to visit Lagos and the Benin Kingdom. They were mainly interested in trade and they brought goods to Benin and had a cordial relationship with the Oba of Benin. They even too one of the Princes to Portugal where he was trained in the Court of the Portuguese Monarch. The Brits came later on with their expansionist tendencies and started conquering Nigeria gradually. 'Eko' is a Benin word which means 'War Camp'. Lagos was used as a Garrison for Warriors of the Benin Kingdom. Names of places in Lagos like Ogba, Agege etc are also derivatives of Benin names. Cheers.
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by mckane1: 2:13pm On Jul 27, 2011
thank you redman, you know it all, you can find me on facebook, osagie mc-kane okunbor
Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by 2mch(m): 2:16pm On Jul 27, 2011
This benin people sha! Abeg make una leave the Eko issue alone. The whole of Lagos was a farm for Ijebu and Awori's. It means Ile Oko. You can't tell me the Benin influence extended to Ikorodu, to name the whole state a war camp. They would not have survived a war with the Ijebu. And Ogba means surrounding area. What does it mean in Benin? Please stop spreading false stories. Walking fronbLagos to Benin is far enough for you to assume it would have been a war camp in those days.

2 Likes

Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by NegroNtns(m): 2:27pm On Jul 27, 2011
2mch,

No mind them. Just because - "'Eko' is a Benin word which means 'War Camp'. Lagos " - is on internet they take it as accurate record.

Awori owned the land not Bini. It was Erekosi long before Bini arrived.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by Redman44(m): 2:28pm On Jul 27, 2011
@2mch, do you have a sense of History? There is a subject in History which is called 'Inter-Group Relations'. Do you know that one of the Princes in the ancient Benin Kingdom was called Prince Ogun? The Benin People and the Yoruba people are Kith and Kin cool cool. Benin influenced Lagos a lot. Are you blind, mate sad sad sad sad?  Can't you see the way the Oba of Lagos and his chiefs are dressed during ceremonies? Are they not dressed the same way Benin Chiefs are dressed? Are they not wearing the same white robes and tops with red beads? You're saying Ogba is a Yoruba name shocked shocked shocked  Are you aware that some people in Delta State ( A Benin Kingdom vassal state in the past ) have their surname as 'Ogba'? e.g Solomon Ogba ( Former Delta State Sports Commissioner ). Have you heard of the Omo-Agege's of Delta State? Wake up, my friend. 'Eko' is a Benin word which means 'War Camp'.

No Yoruba Kingdom could face Benin at the heights of its Power cool cool cool cool. Go and study History more. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: What Does 'Lagos' Mean & Who Coined The Name? by shadrach77: 2:34pm On Jul 27, 2011
Redman44:

@2mch, do you have a sense of History? There is a subject in History which is called 'Inter-Group Relations'. Do you know that one of the Princes in the ancient Benin Kingdom was called Prince Ogun? The Benin People and the Yoruba people are Kith and Kin cool cool. Benin influenced Lagos a lot. Are you blind, mate sad sad sad sad? Can't you see the way the Oba of Lagos and his chiefs are dressed during ceremonies? Are they not dressed the same way Benin Chiefs are dressed? Are they not wearing the same white robes and tops with red beads? You're saying Ogba is a Yoruba name shocked shocked shocked Are you aware that some people in Delta State ( A Benin Kingdom vassal state in the past ) have their surname as 'Ogba'? e.g Solomon Ogba ( Former Delta State Sports Commissioner ). Have you heard of the Omo-Agege's of Delta State? Wake up, my friend. 'Eko' is a Benin word which means 'War Camp'.

No Yoruba Kingdom could face Benin at the heights of its Power cool cool cool cool. Go and study History more. Cheers.
you are right - wikipedia supports your theory grin grin cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

State By State - PVC Record Released By INEC / Amaechi, Bolanle Ambode At Jumoke Okoya-Thomas’ 60th Birthday / Bad State Of Lagos National Stadium, Surulere. PICS.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.