Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,775 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? (1237 Views)

Why Do Churches Have Different Doctrines And Denominations? / Some Churches Carry-out Pregnancy Test Before Wedding: Why? / Why Do Churches Pay Their Instrumentalists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by Nabena06: 9:48am On Jul 27, 2011
This matter is a bit confusing - considering that some traditional marriages are very pagan and some Christians have very pagan and fetish parents who would insist on every traditional rite-something that the christian life is totally against undecided
Re: Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:49am On Jul 27, 2011
oh i never knew about this. thank Gods, some parents have some moral sense. cool
Re: Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by Snowwy: 12:37pm On Jul 27, 2011
I guess to ascertain that the parents have given their blessing first before the church. It's in order.
The family has to okay the marriage as such the formality of a traditional wedding first.
Re: Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by omofat: 12:40pm On Jul 27, 2011
I didn't know that churches "insist" on anything. It's just something the people involved do for cultural/traditional reasons.
Having a traditional wedding is not a pre-requisite to be married in a church - unless I am misunderstanding your original point @OP
Re: Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by Nabena06: 12:44pm On Jul 27, 2011
to Ok the marriage is one thing to do a traditional marriage is another, and yes most churches I know insist, some even ask on the wedding day and make the parents affirm to that on the microphone shocked
Re: Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by omofat: 12:47pm On Jul 27, 2011
^^^ Churches ask on the wedding day if the couple have already done their traditional wedding

I guess you and I attend different types of weddings. Never seen it/ never heard of it.
Re: Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by rezzy: 4:56pm On Jul 27, 2011
What most church is after, is paying of the bride price, the party is not necessary
Re: Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by Joagbaje(m): 9:20pm On Jul 27, 2011
Nabena06:

This matter is a bit confusing - considering that some traditional marriages are very pagan and some Christians have very pagan and fetish parents who would insist on every traditional rite-something that the christian life is totally against undecided

The christian does not have to follow ungodly practise in the tradition . THey shouldn't agree to anything that is contrary to their convictions.  The major thing is the dowry and feasting. It is honour for the parents who had raised her up and the lady as well . That in the presence of the villagers who acts as witnesses the girl is properly given out. So the story is "The man come to the fathers house to mary her. And tHe community witness it"
Re: Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:43pm On Jul 27, 2011
^^^^

colonial relic.
Re: Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by tpia5: 11:32pm On Jul 27, 2011
Didnt know they did that but its a good practice if so.
Re: Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:42pm On Jul 27, 2011
hehe its good to hear you turning to the Pagan side tpia@. smiley smiley
Re: Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by tpia5: 11:46pm On Jul 27, 2011
^Traditional wedding practices arent a celebration of paganism.

Its mainly a communal acknowledgement of the union.
Re: Why Do Churches Insist On Traditional Marriage Before Wedding Couples? by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:00am On Jul 28, 2011
ya whatever. smiley

(1) (Reply)

Did Ozil Really Get Into A Fight With Villa Because He Insulted His Religion? / The Pope: Vicar Of Christ. Really ? / The Church by Umari Ayim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.