Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,782 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:51 PM

Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience (6740 Views)

Wearing The Hijab Makes Me Feel Liberated Not Oppressed / Dealing With Incubus And Succubus Sex Demons That Attack Humans While Asleep / For All Those Who Fall Asleep In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by liftedme(m): 4:06pm On Jul 28, 2011
I was asleep when suddenly I felt immence pressure on my chest, could not scream or turn. Worst of all, I could not breath; I struggled until I became helpless and was just waiting for death when suddenly I got my freedom, jumped from the bed, panting and breathing hard.

Please share your experience and profer a solution!
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by obowunmi(m): 4:29pm On Jul 28, 2011
Ever heard of sleep coma or sleep paralysis ? People often experience this --- I don' t think it is necessarily anything to worry about.   undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Image123(m): 4:59pm On Jul 28, 2011
The name of the Lord is a strong tower. Try calling on the name of 'Jesus' or the blood of Jesus. It cures it even for sinners. Then start to live a life that glorifies God, whatever causes it would hardly/rarely come near you again. The name of Jesus is a strong tower, the RIGHTEOUS runs to it and is safe. Don't take the name in vain

1 Like

Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by tEsLim(m): 10:09pm On Jul 28, 2011
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Jenwitemi(m): 10:52pm On Jul 28, 2011
Happened to me quite a few times too. Each time, my eyes were wide open. The last time it happened, house i lived in was haunted. Funnily enough, i was not even scared in the slightest. I just waited till the condition went away, then i went back to sleep.
liftedme:

I was asleep when suddenly I felt immence pressure on my chest, could not scream or turn. Worst of all, I could not breath; I struggled until I became helpless and was just waiting for death when suddenly I got my freedom, jumped from the bed, panting and breathing hard.

Please share your experience and profer a solution!

Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by mazaje(m): 5:01am On Jul 29, 2011
It is called sleep paralysis. It is common and it happens to many people. No need to worry or invoke the name of any God to help you out. .
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by liftedme(m): 9:08am On Jul 29, 2011
Obowunmi & Mazaje,
I am glad to read your post becasue I was worried sick; could you please throw more light on this sleep paralyses as I know practically nothing about it!

Image 123,
Thanks a great deal, well appreciated.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Image123(m): 2:20pm On Jul 29, 2011
Like others have said, the 'official' name is sleep paralysis and someone already put up a link. There's an obvious trace to the spiritual in different countries and races. I don't want to join others in propounding theories and effects or consequences. But one thing I'm CERTAIN of, you don't have to experience it('sleep paralysis') ever again. The name of Jesus is a very sure repellant/cure.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 29, 2011
Pray against and rebuke the spirit of incubus.

It is an intimate spirit that attacks you while asleep.

I had such experiences, many many years ago but now totally delivered.

If it is still molesting you then you most likely have 'reasons' or rights why or the deliverance was partial as most deliverance is a process. Peeling away layers of incorrect thought processes, hurt, unforgiveness and occultic practices.

Ask the Almighty to show you the reasons it is still coming. There are most likely some there.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by mazaje(m): 3:33pm On Jul 29, 2011
frosbel:

Pray against and rebuke the spirit of incubus.

It is an intimate spirit that attacks you while asleep.

I had such experiences, many many years ago but now totally delivered.

If it is still molesting you then you most likely have 'reasons' or rights why or the deliverance was partial as most deliverance is a process. Peeling away layers of incorrect thought processes, hurt, unforgiveness and occultic practices.

Ask the Almighty to show you the reasons it is still coming. There are most likely some there.

. . . . . .

@ OP pls google sleep paralysis. . . .
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jul 29, 2011
^^

What on earth is sleep paralysis.

Please let people who have experienced these things talk about them.

Oh of course , a mostly godless and atheist Europe will explain spiritual things away with Science.

No surprise with that one !!
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by mazaje(m): 4:47pm On Jul 29, 2011
frosbel:

^^

What on earth is sleep paralysis.

Please let people who have experienced these things talk about them.

Oh of course , a mostly godless and atheist Europe will explain spiritual things away with Science.

No surprise with that one !!

Google it up. I have experienced it before and I didn't call upon and God to help me, it just went away. . . .There is not thing spiritual about it that requires some mythical power from some where to help out. . . . .
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Nobody: 7:38pm On Jul 29, 2011
I posted this somewhere else but a repost here is fine too.

======================================================
What you are experiencing is a biological not supernatural phenomenon. You are not alone in what you are experiencing as it is something that occurs in humans the world over(even I have experienced it when I was younger). It is a very well documented if not understood. Have a look at this page http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis.

Physiologically, sleep paralysis is closely related to REM atonia, the paralysis that occurs as a natural part of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. Sleep paralysis occurs either when falling asleep, or when awakening. When it occurs upon falling asleep, the person remains aware while the body shuts down for REM sleep, and it is called hypnagogic or predormital sleep paralysis. When it occurs upon awakening, the person becomes aware before the REM cycle is complete, and it is called hypnopompic or postdormital.[5] The paralysis can last from several seconds to several minutes "by which the individual may experience panic symptoms".[6] (described below) As the correlation with REM sleep suggests, the paralysis is not entirely complete; use of EOG traces shows that eye movement is still possible during such episodes.[7] When there is an absence of narcolepsy, sleep paralysis is referred to as isolated sleep paralysis (ISP).[8]

In addition, the paralysis may be accompanied by terrifying hallucinations (hypnopompic or hypnagogic) and an acute sense of danger.[9] Sleep paralysis is particularly frightening to the individual because of the vividness of such hallucinations.[8] The hallucinatory element to sleep paralysis makes it even more likely that someone will interpret the experience as a dream, since completely fanciful or dream-like objects may appear in the room alongside one's normal vision. Some scientists have proposed this condition as an explanation for alien abductions and ghostly encounters.[10] A study by Susan Blackmore and Marcus Cox (the Blackmore-Cox study) of the University of the West of England supports the suggestion that reports of alien abductions are related to sleep paralysis rather than to temporal lobe lability.[11] Some authors have warned of the possible misconnection between child intimate abuse (CSA) and hypnagogic/pompic phenomena and have noted that some clients after having described such an event to a fortune teller or psychic that the psychic may have suggested CSA.

Sometimes, people will wake up before the body has come out of this state of paralysis. You are awake, but no matter how much you try it feels like every muscle in your body is restrained. I have even experienced the shadowy image similar to that you spoke of. In the United States people will say they saw Aliens. In Latin America "demons". South East Asia they see "spirits" of the dead(Vietnam especially). In Japan people see disheveled women(hags). In your case, and the case for most Nigerians, you will probably interpret as witches or demons even.

As with many other cases they are related to stress/sudden change in lifestyle but sometimes it just happens randomly. Although it is disturbing, it is not something that is "supernatural". I do not wish to try to psychoanalyze you, but perhaps there is something in your life that is distressing you? Talking to someone about it may help. But the first step to solving any problem is to inform yourself about it.
======================================================================================

It really is common enough occurrence. In fact it is so common in fact, that it tends to be used to justify religious "intervention" in highly religious societies like Nigeria,
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Image123(m): 9:04pm On Jul 29, 2011
^
It's so common because devil and his agents are real and want to take advantage of your life. It DOESN'T happen to me, neither does it happen to those that 'know' their God Jehovah. You can actually live without ever experiencing 'sleep paralysis' again for the rest of your life.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 29, 2011
Image123:

^
It's so common because devil and his agents are real and want to take advantage of your life. It DOESN'T happen to me, neither does it happen to those that 'know' their God Jehovah. You can actually live without ever experiencing 'sleep paralysis' again for the rest of your life.

From the wikipedia page.
I[b]n surveys from Canada, China, England, Japan and Nigeria, 20% to 60% of individuals reported having experienced sleep paralysis at least once in their lifetime.[/b][14][15] A study conducted by Sedaghat-Hamedani F. et al. has investigated the prevalence of sleep paralysis among Iranian medical students. 24.1% of students reported experiencing sleep paralysis at least once in their lifetime. The same result was reported among Japanese, Nigerian, Kuwaiti, Sudanese and American students.[16]

It is very common. It is unfortunately mistaken as a supernatural phenomenon, when it is purely physiological one.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Image123(m): 11:08pm On Jul 29, 2011
^so what have you said or quoted now that hasn't already been said? What have YOU ever 'tied' to the supernatural? Abeg go sleep if you can't see realities of life. At least thank God you admit to experiencing this one. Solution has been proffered by Jesus where as usual, research is still looking for. Nna Idehn, don't start o.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Nobody: 12:37am On Jul 30, 2011
Image123:

^so what have you said or quoted now that hasn't already been said? What have YOU ever 'tied' to the supernatural? Abeg go sleep if you can't see realities of life. At least thank God you admit to experiencing this one. Solution has been proffered by Jesus where as usual, research is still looking for. Nna Idehn, don't start o.

Nothing, as usual, has ever been tied to to the supernatural. The point of the statistic is to show how the number of occurrences is not related to commonly held belief structures. Nations with widely varying belief around the same number of incidences.

I do not know why you insist on claiming this is the result of some magical demons/spirits running a muck, especially on important matters of health and wellness.
The "reality" is that this phenomenon is the result of desynchronized sleep process. Jesus could have suggested trying to pray away the common cold, but we know that such a endeavor is silly.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by honeric01(m): 9:18am On Jul 30, 2011
It has happened to me times without numbers, it's natural and i think "normal"

seems it has to do with tiredness of the body or stress.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jul 30, 2011
I had exprence dis tng b4! T usualy hapend wen I lied down to sleep or jst wakng up, day or nite. At a time, t was n d evening, there was a lantern n the room, jst close t were i was lyng, then i felt a heavy load n me as i lyed face up, the lantern receeded far away frm me, i felt movments as if comng closer, i trid to shift bt no way, i trid to open my mouth t shout bt nothng came out. Then afta a while t all went away, evrytng came back to nomal and i was jst bafled. Im nw older and neva exprience such again. I actly did nt offer any prayer to make t go away, i did nt even tell anybody. I used to b under stress wen dose tng were hapening! jst bafled. Im nw older and neva exprience such again. I actly did nt offer any prayer to make t go away, i did nt even tell anybody. I used to b under stress wen dose tng were hapening!
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Image123(m): 11:57pm On Jul 30, 2011
Idehn
I understand that you're spiritually blind, what's baffling is this. Are you also physically blind not to see that more than half the article you linked 'us' says that the view world all over is that 'sleep paralysis' is supernatural? I don't think i discussed the cause with you, what i mentioned was a SURE solution, something no one else's yet to do. Most keep hinting its caused by stress AND that it happened when they were young. Are they less stressed now than when young? How plausible is disbelief?
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Nobody: 1:31am On Jul 31, 2011
Image123:

Idehn
I understand that you're spiritually blind, what's baffling is this. Are you also physically blind not to see that more than half the article you linked 'us' says that the view world all over is that 'sleep paralysis' is supernatural?

I bet you cannot define what a "spirit" is much less how it would be related to the word blind or sleep paralysis. Of course there are going to be a multitude of different "supernatural" explanations, for this particularly old, common, and jarring experience. Most people are not even aware that such a condition called sleep paralysis exist until it actually happens to them. In highly religious/superstitious societies people wrote/write it off as some form of local superstition(as the article showed). In societies with good access to modern medicine or at least medical information, they find out what it is and how common it is.

Image123:

I don't think i discussed the cause with you, what i mentioned was a SURE solution, something no one else's yet to do.

You did not suggest any sure solution. While you may never have suffered from sleep paralysis, your case is by no means definitive evidence that prayer actually has any effect. Furthermore, in a religious country like Nigeria where people pray ALL the time, we still have high incidences of it. I recall in the last thread we spoke about this, the person prayed repeatedly and yet, still experienced sleep paralysis again.

Not every solution suggested is actually effective and for most people the condition usually passes on its own as several people have mentioned. This is also what is strongly suggested by the studies as well.

Image123:

Most keep hinting its caused by stress AND that it happened when they were young. Are they less stressed now than when young? How plausible is disbelief?
People experience different amounts of stress in there lives at different times and this condition is by no means limited to any age group. Moreover your explanation does not give us any incite into the condition whatsoever. I will stick with what medical science has to say.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Image123(m): 12:01am On Aug 01, 2011
^that people from different parts of the world in different ages are ascribing it to the supernatural should at least bring some caution for the sensible. No one's saying that it's not common, what has been said is that it doesn't have to happen ever again. Can you stay with what i've said instead of jumping to conclusions?
I'm yet to say that i've never experienced it. I didn't say 'prayer' cures it, i said JESUS, even a simple call on the name for salvation would immediately stop it. And if you move closer to Christ, you can forever live without experiencing sleep paralysis again.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Nobody: 3:53am On Aug 01, 2011
Image123:

^that people from different parts of the world in different ages are ascribing it to the supernatural should at least bring some caution for the sensible.

People ascribed a supernatural cause to the common cold and leprosy but they were wrong. It is not sensible to do so for this phenomenon either.

Image123:

No one's saying that it's not common, what has been said is that it doesn't have to happen ever again. Can you stay with what i've said instead of jumping to conclusions?
I'm yet to say that i've never experienced it. I didn't say 'prayer' cures it, i said JESUS, even a simple call on the name for salvation would immediately stop it. And if you move closer to Christ, you can forever live without experiencing sleep paralysis again.

I was mistaken in assuming you never experienced sleep paralysis. My apologies. However, my point about prayer not known to have any effect still stands for Jesus.

Idehn:

You did not suggest any sure solution. [s]While you may never have suffered from sleep paralysis, your case is by no means definitive evidence that prayer actually has any effect.[/s] Furthermore, in a religious country like Nigeria where people pray beseech Jesus ALL the time, we still have high incidences of it. I recall in the last thread we spoke about this, the person prayed beseeched Jesus repeatedly and yet, still experienced sleep paralysis again.

What effect does calling out to Jesus have anyway? Also, for those of us who never called upon Jesus/moved closer to Christ why did sleep paralysis ever stop?
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Nobody: 4:46am On Aug 01, 2011
Its simply sleep paralysis. The few times i experienced it, i noticed it occured mostly when i was so so tired.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by liftedme(m): 8:47am On Aug 01, 2011
I appreciate mirades of explanatuions of this (evil). I want to further state that when it happened to me, I could not breath, my breath was ceased and eventually when I was released I gasped for breath and recovered a few minutes later.

Howver, I am thankful to all posters and respondents for your well valued suggestions. I remain grateful.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by donnie(m): 12:25am On Aug 02, 2011
Sleep Ko. . . paralysis ni.

There are some who experienced such and never woke up.
Then doctors will call it cardiac arrest.
Continue to allow satan and his demons harass you.

When the body is not put under subjection to the Word of God, it can be oppressed by satan or devils.
That is when  your flesh has the dominion over your spirit.
The Word of God is in your spirit and it should grow and build your spirit man until your spirit has the dominion whereby your flesh is put under subjection.
As such, you do not let your body say, do, eat or go wherever it likes. . . you take control from your spirit through God's Word.

When a man is asleep, his body is tired and goes to sleep but his spirit never sleeps.
The spirit stays awake and is alert. . . capable of perceiving any approaching evil.
However, if your body has not been put in subjection to your spirit, you will not be able to get your body to pray or even call the name J E S U S.

The solution:
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly. Train your spirit in God's Word- Col 3:16.
Pray always in the spirit- speaking in other tongues will help in building up your spirit (Eph 6:18; Jude 1:20)
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 02, 2011
So how come anytime I happened to call upon the name of Jesus, the thing suddenly ceases? That means there is some kinda strength, power or relief in the name of Jesus. smiley Don't you think so?
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Image123(m): 11:40am On Aug 02, 2011
@Idehn
I've not said that's it's sensible to ascribe sleep paralysis to the supernatural. I said its good for the sensible to be CAUTIOUS seeing that many in different areas of the world ascribe it to some spiritual cause. I'm not too interested in the cause or discussing it. My point is that there is a simple cure.
I don't even think i said prayer will cure it. I said a call on Jesus, the name of Jesus will put an immediate stop to it. And if you have faith in God, you don't have to ever experience it again.
You've not given a cure, have you? I proffered one to those who care for.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Nobody: 4:43pm On Aug 02, 2011
Image123:

@Idehn
I've not said that's it's sensible to ascribe sleep paralysis to the supernatural. I said its good for the sensible to be CAUTIOUS seeing that many in different areas of the world ascribe it to some spiritual cause.

Again, the world ascribed spiritual causes to a lot of things including but not limited too the common cold. However, we know that saying the common cold is somehow supernatural is just silly. People did not(and honestly most still don't) know much about human physiology. They did not understand that sleep paralysis is a part of a mechanism necessary to human health called REM atonia. Without being paralyzed during REM sleep people could/would be doing silly/dangerous things.

More on REM atonia(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REM_atonia)
Physiologically, certain neurons in the brain stem, known as REM sleep-on cells, (located in the pontine tegmentum), are particularly active during REM sleep, and are probably responsible for its occurrence. The release of certain neurotransmitters, the monoamines (norepinephrine, serotonin and histamine), is completely shut down during REM.[4][5][6] This causes REM atonia, a state in which the motor neurons are not stimulated and thus the body's muscles do not move. Lack of such REM atonia causes REM behavior disorder; sufferers act out the movements occurring in their dreams.

In other words sleep paralysis is the physiological counterpart to sleep walking. Is it too much of a stretch to say that sometimes the paralysis turns off too early? Is it too much of a stretch to say that it sometimes turns off too late? The human body does not work perfectly all the time.

You say you are not trying to explain why, but I really do not see where is the supernatural is supposed come in here. The process thus far seems entirely natural and yet you still insist that the supernatural might still be a viable explanation. Is it solely because the word of our ancestors, who knew little of physiology and asserted supernatural causes to almost everything, that convinces you it is supernaturals or is it something else?

Image123:

I don't even think i said prayer will cure it. I said a call on Jesus, the name of Jesus will put an immediate stop to it. And if you have faith in God, you don't have to ever experience it again.
You've not given a cure, have you? I proffered one to those who care for.

I just assumed people sometimes called out to Jesus through prayer, but if that is not the case then I will no longer talk about prayer. No, I have not proffered a cure because I simply do not know how to control motor neurons safely much less to regulate the entire REM sleep process so that it functions properly. You have not either.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Image123(m): 3:08pm On Aug 03, 2011
Haha, so "sleep
paralysis is a part of a
mechanism necessary to
human health". I've been so healthy to God's glory without experiencing this sleep paralysis which is now a part of a good health mechanism. And you parallel sleep paralysis to sleep walking? No story again.
Simply call the name JESUS next time you have an healthy sleep paralysis. That's a solution at least you could make use of till W.H.O gets a 'scientific' alternative na.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 03, 2011
Image123:

Haha, so "sleep
paralysis is a part of a
mechanism necessary to
human health". I've been so healthy to God's glory without experiencing this sleep paralysis which is now a part of a good health mechanism. And you parallel sleep paralysis to sleep walking? No story again.
Simply call the name JESUS next time you have an healthy sleep paralysis. That's a solution at least you could make use of till W.H.O gets a 'scientific' alternative na.

You misunderstood me, although I could have worded it better. REM atonia is the mechanism necessary for good health. You experience the paralysis caused by REM atonia every time you sleep. If you leave this state of paralysis while you are still in a dream state you are likely to sleep walk(move your body while unconscious). If you leave the state of paralysis to late, you are likely to experience sleep paralysis(inability to move your body while conscious). These conditions are a part REM atonia when it is malfunctioning.

As I said before most people have very little knowledge of physiology, and you seem to be no exception. Also are you now saying that my initial assumption, that you never experienced sleep paralysis, was correct after all?

Again what does calling Jesus name have to do with anything. You may as well be telling people to call out to Tooth fairies, Unicorns, or Santa Clause.
Re: Ever Been Oppressed While Asleep! Please Share Your Experience by dorox(m): 8:24pm On Aug 03, 2011
@Image123. Get informed and stop basking in ignorance

(1) (2) (Reply)

Teleportation: Babalawo Orisha Disappeared & Vanished Live On Camera [video] / Dream Interpretation About Being In A Plantain Farm / Marriage- Enjoying The Full Blessings- By Akin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.