Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,796 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? - Jokes Etc (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Jokes Etc / Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? (110216 Views)

Solve This Puzzle!! / You Think You Can Solve Maths? Try This. / Who Can Solve This Simple Riddle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Opusdeii(f): 8:32pm On Jul 29, 2011
coogar:

opus, i have won the quiz or riddle or puzzle. . . .
the $100 grand-prize is mine. wink

@ coogar, how did you solve the puzzle with the bolded?

there's no missing 1 naira. . . .debt has reduced to 98 naira.
you had used 97 naira to buy the shirt. . . .and there's 1 naira left with u.

easy peasy lemon squeezy.

if you now insist you want the 1 naira back. . . . .cut the collar of the shirt with a blade and sell it.
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by shadrach77: 8:43pm On Jul 29, 2011
further to my previous post, i discovered a much simpler way of solving the puzzle. Since the original debt is 100 naira, we deduct the 2 naira he gave his parents from the original debt. This leaves us with 98 naira. Then we deduct the price of the shirt he brought (97 naira) from the remainder and we are left with 1 naira which is what he has left with him. So there is no missing naira. This is how it works out:
100-2=98
98-97=1

Looking at it from another angle, if he decides to return the shirt and get a full refund, he will have 97 naira. If he adds the 1 naira he has on him to the 97 naira he would have 98 naira. Now he is owing both parents 49 naira each since he has already given them 1 naira each. Now (49+49=98) so if he uses 98 naira he has on him to pay, he would be left with nothing since he has already paid 2 naira out of the debt.
This is how it works out
97+1=98 (49+49)
100-2=98
98-98=0
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by coogar: 8:44pm On Jul 29, 2011
Opus-deii:

@ coogar, how did you solve the puzzle with the bolded?

the puzzle is solved na

50 naira from dad
50 naira from mum

shirt was 97 naira

3 naira change left. . . .
you paid back 1 naira each to dad and mum.

and you have 1 left!!!
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by BossTtdiamonds(m): 8:49pm On Jul 29, 2011
Guys, your answers are all wrong, You're just adding up the numbers from the beginin' , But the real case here is that he borrowed 100 naira, bought the shirt for 97 naira, gave both parents 1 naira each and now he's in debt of 1 naira cause the money dont add up to 100 again,

i.e #100 = intial debt and price of shirt
shirt bought for #97, ( 100 - 97 ) =3
now he has 3 naira with him

suppose he gives both mom and dad #1 each that means he'll be 49 naira indebted to both his mom and dad
49 + 49 = 98 + 1 = 99,
He's askin' for the missing #1

but what ya'll doin' is addin' up 97 + 3 which is not possible since he has returned #1 to each of his parents

the deal now is that he has #1 missing help him find the #1, Cant ya'll do math,
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Sweetnecta: 8:52pm On Jul 29, 2011
the only money that didn't travel from his hand after he had gotten the loans from mom and dad is 1 naira. that what he is fooling you with.

you see, 99 naira made journey after the loan of 100 naira in his hand.

the idea is velocity of money. the only one that is not making any velocity and is not useful for the economy is the 1 naira in his hand. that was the answer; 1 naira in his hand.
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by BossTtdiamonds(m): 8:55pm On Jul 29, 2011
Guys, your answers are all wrong, You're just adding up the numbers from the beginin' , But the real case here is that he borrowed 100 naira, bought the shirt for 97 naira, gave both parents 1 naira each and now he's in debt of 1 naira cause the money dont add up to 100 again,

suppose he gives both mom and dad #1 each that means he'll be 49 naira indebted to both his mom and dad
49 + 49 = 98 + 1 = 99,

but what ya'll doin' is addin' up 97 + 3 which is not possible since he has returned #1 to each of his parents

the deal now is that he has #1 missing help him find the #1, Cant ya'll do math,
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by LordReed(m): 8:57pm On Jul 29, 2011
@Boss Ttdiamonds
Don't tell me you failed Primary School Arithmetic.
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 29, 2011
since you guys are in a mood for puzzles , here are 2 from me:

(A)(easy)
a dog breeder has 3 female Pitbull in heat. during the night, the first one gives birth to 2 black puppies, the second one give birth to 3brown puppies and the last one give birth to 2white puppies.
none of the puppies died but the next day, the dog breeder says: HALF OF THE PUPPIES ARE MALE, how can that be?!

(B) (difficult)
[b]there is a convoy of 5 cars (one after the other) on the way to the aiport. these 5 cars are of different colors.
in each of these cars there is a Nigerian guys from a different city AND of a different religion, each have different jobs and enjoy different sport.
my question IS: which of these drivers is the BANK MANAGER?

so here are the clues to solve this problem:
1. The driver of the blue car is from Enugu.
2. The  Buddhist is from Abuja.
3. The Hindu (religion) guy is in the first car.
4. The Jew is a plumber.
5. The man who enjoys football is driving next to (before or after)the guy from Lagos.
6. The owner of the black car enjoys boxing.
7. The Hindu (religion) guy's car is next to the green car.
8. The person who enjoys judo is a doctor.
9. The guy who enjoys basketball is from Kano.
10. The man in the middle car lives in Port Harcourt.
11. The Christian guy is in a yellow car.
12. The car of the man who enjoys football is next to (either before or after) the car of the bricklayer.
13. The Muslim enjoys swimming.
14. The blue car is next to, and in front of the red car.
15. The lawyer's car is next to (before or after) the car of the guy who enjoys boxing.
[/b]

REMEMBER when i write someone drives NEXT TO someone, it can be before or after (unless stated).
so which of these driver is the bank manager?

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!!!
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Engrkandi(m): 9:09pm On Jul 29, 2011
Since u borrowed N50 from mum & another N50 from mum, ur debt is N100. From ur N3 change, u paid back a total of N2 & that brings ur final debt to N98. U've got a N97 shirt & N1 balance & this amount to a total asset value of N98. This is equal to d N98 u're owing mum & dad. Debit equals Credit. No missing cash!
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by shadrach77: 9:17pm On Jul 29, 2011
Boss Ttdiamonds:

49 + 49 = 98 + 1 = 99,

since u are claiming the puzzle has not been answered, why not tell us the "answer"? The truth is that the so called puzzle has been solved over and over again on this thread, even with more than one solution angry angry angry
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Nobody: 9:30pm On Jul 29, 2011
@ MRbrownJAY ure correct. the dude is adding credit of 1 naira with liability of 98 naira, which gave him a superficial figure of 99 naira. the equation is liability of 97 naira and an asset of 97 naira worth of shirt shirt and

98 naira liability= 97naira worth shirt +1naira
98 naira liability -1naira asset=97 worth naira shirt
97naira liability=97naira worth shirt.

simple common entrance maths. wake up poster. common word problems of primary 4
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 29, 2011
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by fcentauri8(m): 9:43pm On Jul 29, 2011
I don't see anything missing.

100 borrowed (50 from mom, 50 from dad)
97 spent
3 remaining
1 kept
1 returned to mom, 1 returned to dad (it's now as if u never borrowed 50 from each but 49)

you borrowed a total of 98, spent 97 and kept 1

it all adds up
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by BABE3: 10:05pm On Jul 29, 2011
omo_to_dun:

Providing another example using the logic of the OP. All I did was change the numbers. It is still the same thing.

It's not the same thing. You omitted the 'stealing the money' part. I get what you're driving at though.

omo_to_dun:

No it is not. Reread it again. In the OP's case, I have N3 left, gave my parents N1 each and have N1left to myself. In my example, I have N20 left and gave each of my parents N10, hence I have nothing left! Gettit?

I think I get it. You're trying to say that you keeping some money for yourself and you not doing so, are pretty much the same thing. Coz at the end of the day, you still owe your parents the same amount of money (N98, N80).
Right?
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Nobody: 10:28pm On Jul 29, 2011
The people that fail this test are those who think nothing is missing because nothing is missing is 100 naira which is the total amount.

What is missing is the amount that was given to both parents.

The person that set the question doesn't even have answer. Sorry to say most people would be correct if the question was arithemetics(plus and minus,etc) rather it is a logical question.That's where the person who set the question miss it too.

She asked about what is missing not what is not missing(that most people think is what she asked for) - the simple reason our scientists are among the worst. They will never answer a question that was asked - like in this case.

I am surprised the person that set the question says somebody is articulated here for the simple reason the person who failed the test.

Jeez!
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by jerryben12: 10:51pm On Jul 29, 2011
There is no  missing 1 naira. Since you returned 1 naira each to your mom and dad, it means you borrowed 98 naira. Out of the 98 naira, you bought the shirt for 97 naira and you still have 1 naira that you kept for yourself.
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by itsik(m): 11:02pm On Jul 29, 2011
the missing N1 is in the N97javascript:void(0); used for purchase. 97 + 1 for mum + 1 for dad + the last 1 u had. smiley
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by MeGaStReEt: 11:03pm On Jul 29, 2011
home work
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Nobody: 11:04pm On Jul 29, 2011
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jul 29, 2011
jerryben12:

There is no  missing 1 naira. Since you returned 1 naira each to your mom and dad, it means you borrowed 98 naira. Out of the 98 naira, you bought the shirt for 97 naira and you still have 1 naira that you kept for yourself.
I ask you what is missing? Jeez! I have 100 and give 1 meaning that 1 is no longer with me - logically. then it is the one missing in the whole process.

Get this to your head man!
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by swaggerboi2011: 11:10pm On Jul 29, 2011
cool cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jul 29, 2011
Lost is different from missing in this case. What is out of place in the process, is the missing. It's the one missing in the process.
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by nnabuike1(m): 11:28pm On Jul 29, 2011
Primary school homework!! Such an insult to my IQ.
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jul 29, 2011
no missing 1N. after paying 1N each you are you are then owing them 49N each which amounts to 98N. the cost of the shirt is 97N plus the 1N with you amounts to 98N which you owe them.
Good riddle. it got me thinking for a while.
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by goggs(m): 11:41pm On Jul 29, 2011
nna_bu_ike:

Primary school homework!!  Such an insult to my IQ.

aiya sorry, no vex, whats the answer? grin
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by sayso: 12:03am On Jul 30, 2011
did he pay for the shirt?there was no trasaction fron the OP post.
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by ufumes(m): 12:17am On Jul 30, 2011
Interesting puzzle. The reader is made to believe an equation that is not correct, spot the LIE and you will solve the puzzle. There are already different correct solutions suggested on page one. 49 + 49 +the amt left with you is never meant to be added up to 100. That is not a correct mathematical statement. Anyway, its an intelligent deception, at least it got me thinking,
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by BABE3: 12:24am On Jul 30, 2011
omo_to_dun:

@Babe
Exactly. I still owe them those amount(N98, N80).

Tons of folks have correctly pointed out that nothing is missing.

Yh, I know. I replied the OP, before I started arguing with you.
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Kslib(m): 1:10am On Jul 30, 2011
Since u are looking 4 the missing N1,here it is.U borrowed N50 each 4rm mum & dad.The shirt costs N97.Meaning u used mum's N49 & dad's N48.ie N49+N48=N97. £ IF u give them N1 each 4rm the remaining N3.Mum's will b N49+1=N50 & dad's will b N48+1=N49.ie 49+50=N99. The remaining N1 with u is the missing MONEY!
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by nanidee(f): 1:48am On Jul 30, 2011
Mr. Brown j, pls reveal
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Benn(m): 2:06am On Jul 30, 2011
@ Poster
You obviously know what you are doing and are only trying to confuse everybody by your choice of N1 everywhere in your calculation.

OK, let me return your question this way. You borrowed N50 from Mon and N50 from Dad and bought the shirt for N3, so you are left with N97. You return N48 to Dad and N48 to Mum and keep N1. Now you owe Mum & Dad N2 each.

Now let’s apply your formula:
N2 you owe Mum + N2 you owe Dad + N1 you kept to yourself = N5. So you are missing N100 – N5 = N95! Dumb!

You borrowed money and later returned part of it. Why then do you want the amount left + the one you kept to yourself to add up to the original amount that you borrowed?
What you have to pay back is the amount you have spent + the amount you kept to yourself, period.
Re: Please, Who Can Solve This Puzzle? by Nobody: 5:08am On Jul 30, 2011
@ Benn
Gbam! I also used the OP's logic to show that the question is invalid in an earlier post by using the same method as you. By simply changing the numbers, different amount will be "missing" in different cases.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oladee, Boy On The Viral 'crying Head Sticker' Explains What Happened / Real Funny Nigeria Jokes / 15 Hilarious Photos That Will Make You Laugh On A Sunday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.