Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,343 members, 7,808,209 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:44 AM

Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! (6038 Views)

Jonathan And Sambo With Oritsejafor, CAN President, Others / El Rufai Mocks Pastor Oritsejafor On Private Jet / Islamic Banking Is Illegal - Court (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by hakanai(m): 1:36am On Jul 30, 2011
Responding in a telephone interview last night, NIREC co-chairman, Pastor Oritsejafor thanked the Sultan, who he described as a personal friend, for endeavoring to speak out at last, saying that the whole nation had been awaiting his comments on the two vexed issues of Boko Haram and Islamic banking.

“You know I respect the Sultan a great deal because he is a man who means well for the country just like some of us. We will continue to be friends because the only way this country can make appreciable progress is by stretching a hand of fellowship across the Niger and building blocks of unity for future generations,” stated Oritsejafor who just finished a NEC meeting of CAN in Abuja.

“So, I thank him immensely for his eventual comments about the two controversial issues. However, I dare say that I was a bit surprised that the Sultan, who is respected across the country, failed to address the two cardinal issues involved in the controversial Islamic banking before he concluded that it has come to stay,”

For the avoidance of doubt, “Christians in Nigeria are not against the Muslims as people have made the generality of Nigerians to believe. We are not against Muslims. In fact, it the Christians that have always been at the receiving end of every violence that has taken place in parts of the North.

“Let it also be known that we are not against Islamic banking per se. What we have said thus far, is that there are two issues that the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, governor must address properly before the introduction of non-interest banking as against Islamic banking.

“One, we have continued to frown at the way the CBN governor who is being paid by tax payers’ money is championing the course of Islamic banking in isolation of other non-interest banking. We are against Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi using state funds to promote Islamic banking as though that is the only form of non-interest banking. It is against the spirit of the Nigerian Constitution.

“He should allow people who are interested in Islamic banking to use their money to sell their manifesto to Nigerians with a view to wooing them to accept that form of banking which is different from what they used to know,” he explained.

According to Oritsejafor “the other issue that my very good friend failed to address has to do with the guidelines the CBN governor had put in place for the issuance of licence for non-interest banking in the country which is different from that for Islamic banking. In every sector of the nation’s economy including the education sector, there are uniform guidelines for the registration or operating license. For instance, any Nigerian applying to the National Universities Commission, NUC, for licence to establish a university, irrespective of its leanings, is required to adhere to a uniform set of guidelines before its registration. There are no rules for Islamic university and another for a Christian university.

“[b]But the CBN governor has failed, thus far, to explain to the nation why he is putting up a different guideline for Islamic banking and another one for other forms of non-interest banking. This is in addition to a proposed establishment of a Shari’a Council of Experts to be based at the CBN [/b]to monitor the operations of the Islamic banking and we have asked; is this what operates in all the countries in the world where Islamic banking operates?”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/oritsejafor-replies-sultan-gives-conditions-for-islamic-banking/
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by ektbear: 2:35am On Jul 30, 2011
Well said.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Nobody: 9:37am On Jul 30, 2011
For once this man talked like an adult. undecided undecided
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Nobody: 9:39am On Jul 30, 2011
I tnk a sensible and civilised person is logically speakng here!
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Greenpro: 9:45am On Jul 30, 2011
Nigeria will surely get it right one day.

Have heard about GREEN WORLD OPPORTUNITY? view my profile for web link
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by texazzpete(m): 9:46am On Jul 30, 2011
At every turn, thiss man speaks from a position of ignorance. I'm deeply dissapointed in him for these words.
There are too many holes in his argument.Has he even taken time out to discuss with the CBN?
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Nobody: 10:12am On Jul 30, 2011
texazzpete:

At every turn, thiss man speaks from a position of ignorance. I'm deeply dissapointed in him for these words.
There are too many holes in his argument.Has he even taken time out to discuss with the CBN?

More like you need to take your time to read his post and post the holes you found and why they are holes in the argument and not ones in your head!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by otokx(m): 11:19am On Jul 30, 2011
Oritsejafor has spoken very well.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by md4real(m): 11:29am On Jul 30, 2011
Like this dude is paid to be the spokes person of association of "interest taking banks" if there is anything like that, another drunken old fisherman man. The se people that cuesless?
How is the tax payers money been used to financed the project?
Who makes and implement monitary regulations especially for banks in nigeria?
And worldwide, on what principle is non interest banking based
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by md4real(m): 11:30am On Jul 30, 2011
Blessed is karl marx, for, "religion is actually, the opium of the masses"
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by PapaBrowne(m): 11:31am On Jul 30, 2011
texazzpete:

Surely you didn't read the post. That is a very unintelligent thing to do before making a comment!!
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Nobody: 11:45am On Jul 30, 2011
A new set of rules that boycot the generally agreed constitution is being used to guide Islamic banking, meaning if Christians or the Orunmilas wants their things they too can bring Christian or Orunmila constitutions, thereby effectivly rubbishing the Nigerian constitution! This is one of the thngs I thnk Oritsejafo is tryng to put across
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jul 30, 2011
Im just curious! Assuming the North wants sometng like Jama'atu islam Hospital, like Bingham hospital and a host of xtian hospitals across d country, does t mean there will then be impossed on the nation Sharia Medical Law?
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Barkono: 12:05pm On Jul 30, 2011
@ Olumide
Here are the holes : "let it also be known that we are not against islamic banking per se, " Contrast this with ", this is in addition to a proposed establishment of a sharia council of experts to be based at the CBN to monitor the operations of the islamic banking and we asked, is this what operates in all the countries before the introduction of islamic banking as against other non-interest banking" I must say, that this man is confused. How do you manage an institution that is out to benefit the generality of the populace without having experts/consultants? In the UK., the islamic bank of britain has a sharia advisory committee, which advises the central bank governor. And it is called Sharia Supervisory Committee. See www.islamic-bank.com/sharia-finance, It is therefore disheartening that the CAN president, whom we assumed to be well travelled and knowledgeable, will speak to the press without making research. And he said 'we have continued to frown at the way the CBN governor who is paid with taxpayers money to be championing islamic banking, " This is crazy. Who do investors look up to on matters like this before investing their dough? Does he think the 25billion naira, they are depositing will not come with some price? I doubt if the CBN, will box the 25billion naira, just for safe keeping.

2. In other interviews, he brought the issue of OIC, the ajami (arabic) letters on the naira notes. He went further to say that the removal of the ajami on the smaller notes by Soludo, has been brought back bY Sanusi. I wonder if this man handles Nigerian currencies at all. I didn't see any ajami on our smaller denomination. If this man has an issue with Islam, then the Sultan is corrrect when he said what he said earlier.
On the issue of Boko Haram, the CAN president was in the news supporting the Niger Delta militants, in their heydays. The Sultan as a former intelligent officer knows exactly what he is saying.
I think the CAN has made a big mistake by nominating this Oritseajaifor of a man. He doesn't think before he speaks. He should have studied the situation before talking. Thank God he said it himself, that the Sultan has finally spoken. But the Sultan was consulting and thinking before he spoke. That is sign of good leadership.
Lest we forget, this CAN president's wife is managing eagle flight microfinance bank, in warri. A bank that is neck deep in usury. How holy is he then?
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by 1025: 12:54pm On Jul 30, 2011
when ribadu and el rufai ran away from justice, we had a president who could stop all cases against them and closed all charges levelled against them. when yerima a senator married an under aged girl, where was our president? on this issue of boko haram and islamic banking, what is our president saying? when nigerians were shouting down pdp and their game plans, i remembered vividly that the CAN president did not hide his position in making sure that a christian rules.
selfishness is a natural thing so let us leave the muslims to their fate and practices while we face our own religion. we as christians cannot continue calling them(muslims) violent knowing too well that provocation in its own is not good.
i personally wanted the northerners to conclude their 8 yrs in the second term but obasanjo in his criminalities would never let nigerians be.
as good christians, we must not hide under our religion in our bids to cheat others. let jonathan come out with his own position on programmes that will ensure equality among the regions of this country. let there be a written agreement that will give pdp no chance to play their dirty games.
how in the name of God will a self-acclaimed christian support pdp in the face of all these sufferings in the country since 1999? what ever happens to change?
if obasanjo as a christian from the west could rule nigeria for 8 years, what stops the northerners or muslims from ruling for 8 yrs?
i am from imo state and i believe for us to have true peace in nigeria, we must drop any form of hypocrisy.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by AbuMaryam1(m): 1:50pm On Jul 30, 2011
1025:

when ribadu and el rufai ran away from justice, we had a president who could stop all cases against them and closed all charges levelled against them. when yerima a senator married an under aged girl, where was our president? on this issue of boko haram and islamic banking, what is our president saying? when nigerians were shouting down pdp and their game plans, i remembered vividly that the CAN president did not hide his position in making sure that a christian rules.
selfishness is a natural thing so let us leave the muslims to their fate and practices while we face our own religion. we as christians cannot continue calling them(muslims) violent knowing too well that provocation in its own is not good.
i personally wanted the northerners to conclude their 8 yrs in the second term but obasanjo in his criminalities would never let nigerians be.
as good christians, we must not hide under our religion in our bids to cheat others. let jonathan come out with his own position on programmes that will ensure equality among the regions of this country. let there be a written agreement that will give pdp no chance to play their dirty games.
how in the name of God will a self-acclaimed christian support pdp in the face of all these sufferings in the country since 1999? what ever happens to change?
if obasanjo as a christian from the west could rule nigeria for 8 years, what stops the northerners or muslims from ruling for 8 yrs?
i am from imo state and i believe for us to have true peace in nigeria, we must drop any form of hypocrisy.
You will soon be crucified by saying your opinion
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by BIGERBOY1: 1:54pm On Jul 30, 2011
with all due respect tothe CAN presido but his arguments are ill researched and un sophisticated, I wanted to provide a detailed refute, but BArKONO did a good job above. common guys even a transcript of anusis speech to the house will refute this hands down. common somebody should advice this guy.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 30, 2011
Me thinks that establishing Islamic Banking that will not transact business with me if I am dealing on Pork simply because Islam forbids Pork is simply a way of Islamising me.

All we are saying:

Mallam Sanusi should give the guide lines for Non Interest Banking, Islamic Banking is well covered.

What he is doing is like NCC promiting MTN and not GSM. Sanusi is a Moslem I agree, but he must know that he is not the Governor of an Islamic Central Bank and niether is Nigeria an Islamic nation.

Ok, why has Sanusi not bothered all this while to bring the guidelines for other Non Interest Banking?

Bravo Pastor Ayo, God will surely kee you. Keep up the good job.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Barkono: 2:24pm On Jul 30, 2011
@NOBLEZONE
I hate joining issues with peeps. I believe you are a learned person? In the law of TORT, a man was sitting by the window side of a high speed train, suddenty, he got blown off by the wind, and crashed into empty seats thereby getting injured. He sued the train management for speed and leaving the window opened. Lord Goddard QC,(as he then was), refused to award judgement in his favour seeking compensation for personal injuries. The judge ruled that the man has an OPTION to sit anywhere else. So, you have an OPTION to deal with your regular banks that condone PORK. Besides, Soludo promulgated non-interest islamic/sharia banking, Sanusi diluted with "any other finance institution' that so wish to open non-interest banking window, for which the guidelines has been amended to include it. I hope you will go to CBN website and read more.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Beaf: 2:50pm On Jul 30, 2011
The core-North is sinking into the stone age at an alarming rate of knots; yet all their elite can think about is "enlightening" stuff like boko haram and other sharia tendencies.
Their religion must be mixed with everything to control the innocent talakawa's they have enslaved, the average core-Northern babies future is in almajirici.
In the next couple of years, while the South and Middle Belt develop, the North will be like Somalia or worse.

Sharia? Why not become cavemen?
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Akanbiedu(m): 3:11pm On Jul 30, 2011
The sultan shouldn't reply that non-entity that calls himself CAN president abegi.

Igi imu jina s'ori. Egbe isu ko ni iyan.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by DonJoey(m): 3:52pm On Jul 30, 2011
We are getting there naija, smiley smiley
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by reindeer: 3:54pm On Jul 30, 2011
Akanbi_edu:

The sultan shouldn't reply that non-entity that calls himself CAN president abegi.

Igi imu jina s'ori. Egbe isu ko ni iyan.

Thanks jare!
If this is the best guy CAN can come up with then they are doomed. The man is just a paid loud-mouthed politician.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 30, 2011
This response is too guarded. . .too politically correct. It is almost as if he is afraid of offending the Sultan. This is not good enough. That Sultan must be put in his place. Tepid and timid responses like this will only serve to reinforce the sultan's overbloated sense of importance. Who the hell does he think he is? CAN should prepare a more forceful response and rebuke the Sultan thoroughly for his nonsensical statements defending Boko Haram and Islamic banking. He is a big shame to the traditional istitution and he embodies all that is wrong with Islam.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by omodapson(m): 4:13pm On Jul 30, 2011
When issues relating to Christianity and Islam come to the fore in the Nigerian polity, there can never be a consensus. Every member of both divide would think his opinion is the best even if said in ignorance. It is human nature to disagree, but calling people names because of our differences is not only uncivil but an act of mediocrity in itself. If you can't tolerate, then you are not fit to live among good thinking people.
Many people are religion blind that their sense of reasoning has been badly damaged, smh! Afterall, Yoruba will say "Orun lo mo eni ma la" It is only Heaven that determines who will be saved" Tolerance is what we should always aspire.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Texther(m): 4:31pm On Jul 30, 2011
proO1:

This response is too guarded. . .too politically correct. It is almost as if he is afraid of offending the Sultan. This is not good enough. That Sultan must be put in his place. Tepid and timid responses like this will only serve to reinforce the sultan's overbloated sense of importance. Who the hell does he think he is? CAN should prepare a more forceful response and rebuke the Sultan thoroughly for his nonsensical statements defending Boko Haram and Islamic banking. He is a big shame to the traditional istitution and he embodies all that is wrong with Islam.

U ar right!! U beat me to it
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by alphonsok: 4:35pm On Jul 30, 2011
barkono, you dont understand simple english and u re also blind to the comment of can president.the can president is not criticizing islamic bank but is also complaining about the guidelines and approach towards setting it up.the guideline issue by cbn governor strictly promote only islamic banking not non interest banking which is wrong.mr man get ur fact.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by aikuda(m): 4:37pm On Jul 30, 2011
@omodapso:
When issues relating to Christianity and Islam come to the fore in the Nigerian polity, there can never be a consensus. Every member of both divide would think his opinion is the best even if said in ignorance. It is human nature to disagree, but calling people names because of our differences is not only uncivil but an act of mediocrity in itself. If you can't tolerate, then you are not fit to live among good thinking people.
Many people are religion blind that their sense of reasoning has been badly damaged, smh! Afterall, Yoruba will say "Orun lo mo eni ma la" It is only Heaven that determines who will be saved" Tolerance is what we should always aspire.

I couldn't have said it better. Some people just thrive in baseless and unproductive insult dueling. If you are going to put forward an argument, let it be rational and devoid of name-calling. We should be better than these so-called politicians and leaders that publicly fight each other.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Johnpaul2k2(m): 5:12pm On Jul 30, 2011
ISLAMIC BANKING cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by EkoIle1: 5:24pm On Jul 30, 2011
It's really disgusting reading these backward, hateful and demented comments by these bigoted and evil sinners parading themselves as men of GOD.

With all the ills in the world calling and begging this silly man for his Godly attention, the idio.t is writing dum.d essays all over the place about some banking tools that the rest of the world running with no problem, even in Christian countries.

These clowns are nothing but hate peddlers and religious bigots.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by greatgreg: 5:33pm On Jul 30, 2011
My papa you have spoken very well the lord is your strength we will continue to pray for you as you make nigeria and nigerian a better place and a better people. non interest banking is not the problem but the policy behind it or what it stand for. who knows they might use it control the govt, to take over the govt, and for terrorism.
Re: Islamic Banking: Oritsejafor Replies Sultan! by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 30, 2011
texazzpete:

0lumide:

More like you need to take your time to read his post and post the holes you found and why they are holes in the argument and not ones in your head
!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Former Nigerian Olympic Athlete Arrested For Murder In South Africa / Are Nigerians In Diaspora Disconnected With Nigeria? / Governor Patrick Yakowa Of Kaduna, Fmr. NSA Owoye Azazi Die In Helicopter Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.