Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:02 AM

Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 (4913 Views)

Buhari, Wife Should Be Advocates Of Child Rights — Onyeka Onwenu / Guber Poll: Oba Of Lagos Reads Riot Act To Igbo... The Sun / Pakistani Child Rights Activist Malala Yousafzai Visits President Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by koruji(m): 3:17am On Jul 30, 2011
There may be many good things in the Islamic rules, but this particular one is another that has outlived its time.

I hope no one takes this as insulting anybody's religion. What I am suggesting is that while we recognize that some rules might have been okay for the time & place for which they were made, they are no longer applicable. However,  that doesn't detract from the "holiness" of the holy books.

Nobody in his/her right mind would perform an "eyer for an eye" punishment as required under the Mosaic law in this day and age, and nobody in his right mind should look at girls barely out of diapers for marriage or any other act. Period!!!

Quote: "He cited a section of the Act which stipulates that “it is a criminal offence for any father to give out his daughter for marriage before the age of 18,” adding that the Islamic principle on the matter provides that a women would be eligible for marriage as soon as she attains maturity."

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=56124:-why-child-rights-act-should-be-reviewed-by-adamawa-speaker&catid=1:national&Itemid=559

Why Child Rights Act Should Be Reviewed, By Adamawa Speaker .
Saturday, 30 July 2011 00:00 From Nkechi Onyedika, Yola

SPEAKER of the Adamawa State House of Assembly, Sadiq Ibrahim, has called for a holistic review of the Child’s Rights Act to remove provisions that contravenes some religious principles.

He urged the Federal Government to forward the Act to the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) and Muslim bodies to enable them scrutinise the Act and address areas of conflict.

The lawmaker spoke when he received the Minister of Women Affairs and Social Development, Hajia Zainab Maina, who was on advocacy visit to the state. Ibrahim noted that the Child Rights Act, which had gone through second reading at the state’s Assembly suffered a setback during the third reading when members discovered that some of its provisions contradicted Islamic laws.

He cited a section of the Act which stipulates that “it is a criminal offence for any father to give out his daughter for marriage before the age of 18,” adding that the Islamic principle on the matter provides that a women would be eligible for marriage as soon as she attains maturity.

The Speaker contended that issues of maturity are not determined by law but questions of fact that could be established from the physical attributes of a woman.

Ibrahim insisted that for any provision of the ACT that contravenes the principles of Islamic, the controversy would be resolved in favour of Islamic law.”

He said: “A woman may be matured before the age of 18, there is also an issue of choice. A woman may decide to get married before the age of 18; can you prevent her from making a choice of marrying the husband of her wish before she reaches the age of 18? These are fundamental issues we need resolve.

The Assembly has agreed that there are certain misdeeds in the Nigerian society that can be tackled by the Act such as the Almajarai (street kids) syndrome, begging and hawking by children, which are un-Islamic.

“We will not watch our children being destroyed with tribal marks, undergo Cores mutilation; these are unacceptable to our society.   There are so many provisions of the Act which are good for our society but there are also certain grey areas which we do not agree with and need to be reviewed. This is not about religion but about cultural values that we hold with respect. There is need for a holistic review of the Act.”

The Speaker noted that the state Assembly is already working on the domestication of Convention for Elimination of All forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW) adding the women deserve to be respected.

Earlier, Maina appealed to the House to put in place appropriate legislations that would guarantee the rights of women and promote the welfare of children.

Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Musiwa42: 3:24am On Jul 30, 2011
in canada a woman between the age of 16 to 18 can get married, if the parent signs a document.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by antitpiah: 3:25am On Jul 30, 2011
Musiwa,.:

in canada a woman between the age of 16 to 18 can get married, if the parent signs a document.

Aare, dont mind them jare.

What is wrong with catching them young, maybe 15.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by koruji(m): 3:33am On Jul 30, 2011
The problem is the Adamawa speaker didn't tell us what age would be good for him.

As Musiwa noted the parents in Canada have to sign a document that I am sure includes a lot of qualifications.

I am sure the Adamawa speaker would reject 15 or 16.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by dempeople(m): 3:35am On Jul 30, 2011
Musiwa,.:

shocked shocked shocked
Ehhh

Kai, I no gree at all at all.

Show me where they sign the document in your map of Electricity Engineering or, you can remove Benin and Edo and show me the document.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by dayokanu(m): 3:40am On Jul 30, 2011
See this website

A lot of European countries have age of consent below 18 some as low as 15

http://www.avert.org/age-of-consent.htm
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by jmaine: 3:43am On Jul 30, 2011
dayokanu:

See this website

A lot of European countries have age of consent below 18 some as low as 15

http://www.avert.org/age-of-consent.htm

Thanks Dayo . .Linked bookmarked wink wink
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by antitpiah: 3:46am On Jul 30, 2011
^^^

Burkinafaso baby

Catching them young hun?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by dayokanu(m): 3:53am On Jul 30, 2011
Italy 14, Spain 13, Vatican 12 shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by NegroNtns(m): 3:56am On Jul 30, 2011
I see! Our acceptance of it is in reference to whether or not Western Nations are okay with the practice.

I'm sure Islam would have been badgered again, as usual, if there was no North American or European legitimacy to reference.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by jmaine: 3:56am On Jul 30, 2011
Dayokanu, that your Link dey questionable oo! . . .Nigeria is listed as 13  shocked shocked . . .
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by antitpiah: 3:57am On Jul 30, 2011
dayokanu:

Italy 14, Spain 13, Vatican 12 shocked shocked shocked shocked

That one na one real sagbadewe, no wonder the pope is always looking young and fresh

Eje tutu. All roads lead to the Vatican!
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by antitpiah: 3:58am On Jul 30, 2011
jmaine:

Dayo, that your Link dey questionable oo! . . .Nigeria is listed as 13 shocked shocked . . .

I know, it should be lower.

Atiku's mother gave birth to him at 9. me likey

The lower the better, NO?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by dayokanu(m): 4:00am On Jul 30, 2011
jmaine:

Dayo, that your Link dey questionable oo! . . .Nigeria is listed as 13 shocked shocked . . .

Maybe they averaged it cos I think in some places in Nigeria its lower. Is one of our honorable senators married to a 13yr old?

In Bauchi I know a 15yr old who was getting married for the 3rd time.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by koruji(m): 4:12am On Jul 30, 2011
Not really, although much of what we do are patterned after the west. And why not, they have shown a knack for leading the way when it comes to innovation, at least in this era going back about 500 years.

The speaker himself set his criterion - reach maturity. The problem is he didn't say which age he considers mature. He is definitely not suggesting that 7 year olds are mature, so he ought to be specific.

BTW, I don't consider the west always right. In particular, this rapid movement to institutionalize man-lover marriage is not right. It is even more surprising that with all the hunger, wars and sick kids filling the planet the UN is finding time to line up behind such a silly idea.

Negro_Ntns:

I see! Our acceptance of it is in reference to whether or not Western Nations are okay with the practice.
I'm sure Islam would have been badgered again, as usual, if there was no North American or European legitimacy to reference.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Obiagu1(m): 4:29am On Jul 30, 2011
Age of consent should be lowered to 13 yrs. The high age of consent in many countries leads to an increase in the number of g.ays and les.bians.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by koruji(m): 4:49am On Jul 30, 2011
When you have your daughter let a 55 year old man come calling to take her from your hands at 13 -  may be that will make you happy.

How is a country going to develop when it potentially sends half its citizens into bondage at an early age. Kids are not mules. A 13 year old is not old enough to make such heavy decisions - even 20-somethings have difficulty with such life decisions. 18 may be okay, but that is really the prime age for a lot of foolishness that leads to potential maturity.

I guess the real question is this. What is the definition of mature and from whose viewpoint?

Obiagu1:

Age of consent should be lowered to 13 yrs. The high age of consent in many countries leads to an increase in the number of g.ays and les.bians.

Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Obiagu1(m): 4:54am On Jul 30, 2011
I didn't say marriage, I said consent lipsrsealed
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by koruji(m): 5:00am On Jul 30, 2011
I see - but "same difference". If you can't consent you can't get married or can you?

If you can consent, you should be able to get married.

Still, the topic was about marriage & maturity.

Obiagu1:

I didn't say marriage, I said consent lipsrsealed
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Kobojunkie: 5:02am On Jul 30, 2011
So are we suggesting that it is OK for 55 year old men to have sex with 13 year olds then (no marriage )?? Is having sex with a 13 year old or younger, really worse than marrying one? undecided undecided undecided
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Obiagu1(m): 5:05am On Jul 30, 2011
Consenting to sex at an early age does not mean you'll be permitted to get married. They are different.

The world was much better when the age of consent was as low as 13 in many countries including Canada before the lawyers, more often than not the goons that have ruined this world, started moving it up and up.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Obiagu1(m): 5:10am On Jul 30, 2011
Kobojunkie:

So are we suggesting that it is OK for 55 year old men to Be Intimate with 13 year olds then (no marriage )??  Is Being Intimate with a 13 year old or younger, really worse than marrying one?  undecided undecided undecided

Before you ask that question, you would have painted another picture. At the current age put forth by lawyers, which is on the average 16 yrs, are you saying that it is now good for a 55 yrs old to be intimate with a 16 yrs old?

The obvious answer is no, there are many factors that'll prevent that, parents, siblings, relatives, community, peers, etc.

It's important for kids to start being intimate at an early age if they start feeling the urge, else they will start experimenting with their same sex friends that are readily available.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Beaf: 5:18am On Jul 30, 2011
I will ask any grown man that is a supporter of underage marriage to simply turn the tables and imagine himself married at age 13. Would he be emotionally, physically, mentally, financially, spiritually, intellectually capable?
If your answer is no, then accept that you support paedophilia and your religious interpretations are wicked, abusive, backward and primitive.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Kobojunkie: 5:23am On Jul 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

Before you ask that question, you would have painted another picture. At the current age put forth by lawyers, which is on the average 16 yrs, are you saying that it is now good for a 55 yrs old to be intimate with a 16 yrs old?

The obvious answer is no, there are many factors that'll prevent that, parents, siblings, relatives, community, peers, etc.

It's important for kids to start being intimate at an early age if they start feeling the urge, else they will start experimenting with their same sex friends that are readily available.

So, the very fact that, in much of northern Nigeria, children below the age of 16(the so-called age of consent) are still married off by their parents, siblings, relatives, communities, peers, etc. need not be considered because you have somehow convinced yourself that the above response works ?? These children are constantly taken advantage of by the very people who are supposed to protect them and you suggest that continuing to allow them do so is OK.

What I see you telling us is that it is OK for adults, 55 year olds to take advantage of/Be Intimate with 13 year olds because you are HOMOPHOBIC? I mean will you be willing to have your sister or daughter sleep with a 55 year old simply because you are afraid that if she does not, she might develop homosexual tendencies(please do not respond by lying that kids, when allowed to have sex at that age, will never find themselves consenting to intimacy with older adults)?  undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Obiagu1(m): 5:39am On Jul 30, 2011
Kobojunkie:

So, the very fact that, in much of northern Nigeria, children below the age of 16(the so-called age of consent) are still married off by their parents, siblings, relatives, communities, peers, etc. need not be considered because you have somehow convinced yourself that the above response works ?? These children are constantly taken advantage of by the very people who are supposed to protect them and you suggest that continuing to allow them do so is OK.

What I see you telling us is that it is OK for adults, 55 year olds to take advantage of/Be Intimate with 13 year olds because you are HOMOPHOBIC?  undecided undecided undecided undecided

We need to make a distinction between marriageable age and age of consent to avoid confusing the two.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Kobojunkie: 5:41am On Jul 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

We need to make a distinction between marriageable age and age of consent to avoid confusing the two.

Notice my comment was NO LONGER on marriage, so feel free to respond appropriately.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Shimao(m): 5:43am On Jul 30, 2011
Early age of consent,divorced from marriage; idea of no pre-marital sex is officially buried. I guess people are getting rather#honey# these days. Both early debut and early marriage is bad. Women, though achieve puberty earlier than guys, are never emotionally mature to handle sexual issues until early adulthood, say 21 years. And why no discussion about guys?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Kobojunkie: 5:44am On Jul 30, 2011
Shimao:

Early age of consent,divorced from marriage; idea of no pre-marital sex is officially buried. I guess people are getting rather#honey# these days. Both early debut and early marriage is bad. Women, though achieve puberty earlier than guys, are never emotionally mature to handle intimate issues until early adulthood, say 21 years. And why no discussion about guys?

How dare you introduce that truth in here?? shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Shimao(m): 5:45am On Jul 30, 2011
Early age of consent,divorced from marriage; idea of no pre-marital sex is officially buried. I guess people are getting rather#honey# these days. Both early debut and early marriage is bad. Women, though achieve puberty earlier than guys, are never emotionally mature to handle sexual issues until early adulthood, say 21 years. And why no discussion about guys?
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Obiagu1(m): 5:47am On Jul 30, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Notice my comment was NO LONGER on marriage, so feel free to respond appropriately.

There's nothing more i should respond to, my first response was adequate.

If, going by your hypothesis between a 55 and a 13 yrs old, then you are indirectly saying you agree with that between a 55 and a 16 yrs old.
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Kobojunkie: 5:49am On Jul 30, 2011
Obiagu1:

There's nothing more i should respond to, my first response was adequate.

If, going by your hypothesis between a 55 and a 13 yrs old, then you are indirectly saying you agree with that between a 55 and a 16 yrs old.

I don't think you even read a thing of what I posted there . . .

Kobojunkie:

So, the very fact that, in much of northern Nigeria, children below the age of 16(the so-called age of consent) are still married off by their parents, siblings, relatives, communities, peers, etc. need not be considered because you have somehow convinced yourself that the above response works[size=13pt] ??[/size] [/b]These children are constantly taken advantage of by the very people who are supposed to protect them and you suggest that continuing to allow them do so is OK.

[b]What I see you telling us is that it is OK for adults, 55 year olds to take advantage of/Be Intimate with 13 year olds because you are HOMOPHOBIC[size=13pt]?[/size]
I mean will you be willing to have your sister or daughter sleep with a 55 year old simply because you are afraid that if she does not, she might develop Same-sex tendencies(please do not respond by lying that kids, when allowed to Be Intimate at that age, will never find themselves consenting to intimacy with older adults)[size=13pt]?[/size]  undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Adamawa Speaker Wants Child Rights Act To Lower Maturity Age Below 18 by Obiagu1(m): 5:54am On Jul 30, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I don't think you even read a thing of what I posted there . . .

Of course I did, you said "[b]are still married [/b]off by their parents, siblings, , " but I was talking about age of consent.

Anyway, I'm not interested in the age Muslims marry. That's not my business.

My concern is age of consent, which I think should be as low as 13, and the increase in homosexuality.
My first post was a response to Dayo's post on age of consent of several countries.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNIPORT Hides Details Of President Jonathan’s Ph.d Degree - Saharareporters / Zaria Bloodbath: Mass Graves Dug By Army Exposed (photos) / I Am Deeply Depressed About The Ekiti Elections.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.