Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,242 members, 7,807,819 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:52 PM

Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? (10742 Views)

Buhari With Christine Lagarde At Aso Rock Villa + Details Of What Was Discussed / Jonathan’s Body Guards Posted Out Of Aso Rock Villa At Last / Picture Of President Jonathan In Aso Rock Villa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Blackteeth(m): 9:29pm On Jul 30, 2011
Has any of us been close to Aso rock premises to take a look at the place just like people can get some meters close to the whitehouse or 10 downing street or the kremlin for a view?
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Rossikk(m): 11:16pm On Jul 30, 2011
NO. Aso Rock is not accessible to every Tom, Diick and Harry, like those places you mentioned.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by dempeople(m): 1:01am On Jul 31, 2011
I've been to Aso rock. No big deal. With the right connections, anyone can be there.

Met the Yar Aduas' (except Zainab). Have also met Patience but not GEJ himself yet.

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Blackteeth(m): 1:44am On Jul 31, 2011
@dem people. What kind of place is Aso rock situated actually? Is it fortified in the bush? I haven't even seen a photograph of the exterior.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by PROUDIGBO(m): 2:11am On Jul 31, 2011
From the little i've seen from TV and pics, it's an ugly, mishmash, cut-and-join building. It doesn't look 'presidential' at all.

2 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by aljharem3: 2:14am On Jul 31, 2011
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by aljharem3: 2:15am On Jul 31, 2011
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Jakumo(m): 4:45am On Jul 31, 2011
The Aso Rock complex reminds me somewhat of an American university campus, with mostly single-storey bungalows sprawled across a surprisingly extensive landscaped estate of manicured lawns and quiet, tree-lined driveways.

The president's quarters is remarkably small, in contrast to my expectations prior to visiting the place, with a circular floor-plan in the interior, featuring a central atrium with visitors sofas arranged radially round the center, and doors leading to the various peripheral rooms located along the outer circumference of the central waiting room area.  Naturally, all floors comprise glossy white marble in that building, and black suited security guards collect the handsets of all visitors admitted into the waiting room area. 

Walking the grounds within the Aso Rock complex where peacocks strut the lawns, one is struck by how few other people are out and about as pedestrians.  Most visitors sweep in behind the tinted glass of their limos, head to the address of their destinations, and vanish indoors to hobnob with the powers that be.

2 Likes

Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by 2n2k(m): 10:40am On Jul 31, 2011
@jakumo. Very good description

@alj harem. That picture is the National Assembly building not the presidential villa. In the background (though not as close unlike the picture depict) is the aso rock (physical rock) itself. In between the national assembly and the rock is the sprawling complex that houses among others - the president office and residence.

@OP. There is nothing officially called Aso rock villa or aso villa contrary to what press sometimes called it. The whole presidential villa is like a housing estate lying between yakubu gowon way and nnamdi azikwe expressway. It has many streets inside named after notable northern people like ibrahim taiwo.
The estate house the president office, council chamber (which is the one usually shown on tv), the president residence all linked by arabian looking alleyways. There are also in the estate, the vp office, office of the secretary of the federation, banquet hall, presidential guest houses named numerically eg house 5, house 14.   etc. The efcc also has some departments in the estate. Other buildings are privately owned. Yes you can still buy land there even till today from private owners.
Like jakumo said, the buildings are not special looking or distinct almost the same concept as Dordan Barracks at ribadu road in lagos.

As I said, nothing officially like aso villa, it is only the council chamber (an adjournment to the president office) out of all the buildings that was named Aso Chambers not aso villa by babangida in 1991. He derived the name from the aso rock which is not far from the office on the other side of azikwe expressway. The correct name for the whole estate is presidential villa and when taken together with the nearby federal secretariat, national assembly and the supreme & appeal courts buildings, it is called three-arms zone.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Seun(m): 11:45am On Jul 31, 2011
Interesting thread. @dem_people: can you describe it? @Jakumo: oh my; what sort of business do you do?
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Jakumo(m): 12:11pm On Jul 31, 2011
Oga Seun my misguided venture into Aso Rock was aimed at partaking from the Dividends of Democracy soup pot, but I learned soon enough that the spoon I brought along was way too short for the exercise, so I left with only fading memories of the layout there to show for all that effort.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 31, 2011
Blackteeth:

@dem people. What kind of place is Aso rock situated actually? Is it fortified in the bush? I haven't even seen a photograph of the exterior.

Yes it is surrounded by thick bush and rocks extending from Aso drive to the other side of kubwa expressway.The presidential residence itself is not easily accessible to everyone even though there are several entry and exit gates which only the president passes through.The vp residence is a bit outside the presidential arena adjacent to the supreme court though the place was not used even when jonathan was vp,he resides at the Aguda house built for the Queen when she visited during CHOGM.
The presidential villa also accomodates official quarters which have been privatized during the Obj regime but those residence are somewhat distinct from the presidential villa.the main presidential gate also known as Pilot gate is manned by security and there are two others inside where movement is highly restricted.The official colour is white with patches of green to add to the taste,they also have nice lawns.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by DAY12(m): 12:24pm On Jul 31, 2011
shocked
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by REPSNIG: 2:05pm On Jul 31, 2011
Here it is -

Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Princek12(m): 2:15pm On Jul 31, 2011
The fact that Aso villa was constructed to be practically inaccessible to the public and concealed from public view represents the mentality and state of the Nigerian govt. and her leaders, including their predecessors. The mentality is that government should be disconnected from the people it was meant to serve, that the Nigerian govt. does not belong to the people, that the people should view their government as a mythical embodiment, and that the people should dare not confront nor petition the government for any issue. The clandestine construction of Aso villa itself has caused a disconnect between Nigerians and their government. Many, if not most, Nigerians have no idea how Aso villa looks.

Contrast that to the American white house. When the American white house was constructed, the American founding fathers said that the white house must be constructed in a location that will be accessible to the public and that it must be built in such a manner that is open and obvious to the public--where the public can actually touch and see their building. The founding fathers reasoned that the president is a servant of the people, and that they have every right to have access to the president's residence. Any American (or even any tourist) can walk to the American white house and touch its fence, and can see the building that in actuality belongs to them. They can take pictures and can even take a white house tour, where you are taken inside the white house and given a chance to see the president's office. The psychological effect is that you feel like your government actually represents you and that you can confront it whenever you want.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 31, 2011
Princek12:

The fact that Aso villa was constructed to be practically inaccessible to the public and concealed from public view represents the mentality and state of the Nigerian govt. and her leaders, including their predecessors. The mentality is that government should be disconnected from the people it was meant to serve, that the Nigerian govt. does not belong to the people, that the people should view their government as a mythical embodiment, and that the people should dare not confront nor petition the government for any issue. The clandestine construction of Aso villa itself has caused a disconnect between Nigerians and their government. Many, if not most, Nigerians have no idea how Aso villa looks.

Contrast that to the American white house. When the American white house was constructed, the American founding fathers said that the white house must be constructed in a location that will be accessible to the public and that it must be built in such a manner that is open and obvious to the public--where the public can actually touch and see their building. The founding fathers reasoned that the president is a servant of the people, and that they have every right to have access to the president's residence. Any American (or even any tourist) can walk to the American white house and touch its fence, and can see the building that in actuality belongs to them. They can take pictures and can even take a white house tour, where you are taken inside the white house and given a chance to see the president's office. The psychological effect is that you feel like your government actually represents you and that you can confront it whenever you want.
do not compare america with nigeria, because americans do not Live in a tragically dysfunctional geographical space like Nigeria.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by owobokiri(m): 3:34pm On Jul 31, 2011
There must be endless tunnels and bunkers and all that below those huge rocks. Tucking it away near a massive rock was deliberate. Babangida quickly biult that place after Orkah nearly murdered him at Dodan Baracks. Meanwhile the construction was done by Julius Berger, the same with the baracks and national assembly etc. Very secured country indeed.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by REPSNIG: 4:02pm On Jul 31, 2011
Princek12:

Brilliant, Incisive. Please do this country a favour and become a columnist. You are a fountain of wisdom.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by aljharem3: 4:07pm On Jul 31, 2011
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by sizzlers(m): 4:17pm On Jul 31, 2011
Aso rock does not exist. Is only in our imagination

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by baaliyah(m): 4:35pm On Jul 31, 2011
The first time i approached the main entrance i almost entered like any other well secured building. One of the security guys came and directed me to where i should park. I never believed one could be that close to the main gate. It is clean and befitting enough for an African president. The fence is dwarf, the normal Abuja standard-1.5m high.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by vitality22(m): 4:38pm On Jul 31, 2011
owobokiri:

There must be endless tunnels and bunkers and all that below those huge rocks. Tucking it away near a massive rock was deliberate. Babangida quickly biult that place after Orkah nearly murdered him at Dodan Baracks. Meanwhile the construction was done by Julius Berger, the same with the baracks and national assembly etc. Very secured country indeed.
Yes, you are correct, just like the way he (IBB) built his house in Minna. I get lost in IBB's house the first time i went to his house when i was doing IT with NITEL in Minna. Julius Berger also built the house for him inside a rock.

1 Like

Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by kizito96(m): 5:31pm On Jul 31, 2011
Hi guys, I am an old member but a new contributor to NL. I want you guys to welcome me.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Rossikk(m): 5:32pm On Jul 31, 2011
Princek12 said:

Folks and their inferiority complex sef.

Everything oyibo does must be better.

I put it to you that if the tables were turned, and the white house was secluded, while Aso Rock was open to all and sundry, YOU would automatically assume that the white house had the correct approach.

You would be the first to come here and lambast the 'lax security' and 'careless attitude' of Nigerians.

You would blast: ''Can anybody walk up to the white house? How many times have you seen the white house? Yet in our own, anyone can just walk up to our seat of government, and see the place, and even drop bomb there if they want,  because we're not a serious nation!''

So the real problem here, Princek12, is your slave mentality.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by aljharem3: 5:33pm On Jul 31, 2011
kizito96:

Hi guys, I am an old member but a new contributor to NL. I want you guys to welcome me.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin funny statement grin grin grin
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 31, 2011
Jakumo:

Oga Seun my misguided venture into Aso Rock was aimed at partaking from the Dividends of Democracy soup pot, but I learned soon enough that the spoon I brought along was way too short for the exercise, so I left with only fading memories of the layout there to show for all that effort.

ROTFLMAO!!! grin grin grin
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by natasha: 7:28pm On Jul 31, 2011
Its evident that most of the people claiming to have visited Aso rock, have probably never visited Abuja. I have been to Aso Villa and might i start by saying Aso Rock is Different from the "Villa" as its called.
Aso Rock i.e the moutain we see in pictures is actually located behind Gowon Barracks (Now called Mambilla Barracks).
Whilst the presidential Villa is indeed a big Villa. There are several security gates you have to pass through to actually get to the villa. I happen to know this cos my hubby is in the military and ve tagged along as his +1 for a breakfast & Dinner during Obj's regime.
If you drive through Aso drive - the first gate, the third turn on your left (i believe) is where you need to be headed to get the villa. There are certainly many turns to be made however i dont think its appropriate to write all that info here on a public forun due to the current security situation in Nigeria. But i can tell you that Mr president's House is Palatial. There's a reception Area, and then a sitting room which was where we sat when we went for the breakfast. And everyone in the house (excluding workers, cooks, security etc) has to gather for prayers with mr Obj, Jerry Gana and the then Pastor of the Villa. After the prayers we were ushered to a dinning room that sat around 30 people and the rest is history, Might i add that the First lady's villa is next to the President's own and then next to the First Lady's villa is the ADC's House.
But make no mistake, the interior decor is MIND blowing. There were mirrors everywhere in the house as well.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Princek12(m): 7:34pm On Jul 31, 2011
Rossikk:

Princek12 said:

Folks and their inferiority complex sef.

Everything oyibo does must be better.

I put it to you that if the tables were turned, and the white house was secluded, while Aso Rock was open to all and sundry, YOU would automatically assume that the white house had the correct approach.

You would be the first to come here and lambast the 'lax security' and 'careless attitude' of Nigerians.

You would blast: ''Can anybody walk up to the white house? How many times have you seen the white house? Yet in our own, anyone can just walk up to our seat of government, and see the place, and even drop bomb there if they want,  because we're not a serious nation!''

So the real problem here, Princek12, is your slave mentality.

Your problem is skin deep. Read and enlighten yourself and use your brain to reason, not your yansh. Despite being accessible to the public, the white house still has security measures in place that guarantees the safety of the president.

And the people who tour the white house are screened and searched before entering, and anyone cannot just walk into the white house. You can touch the fence and can see it.

Your simplistic, one-dimensional reasoning and mindset will not allow you to think that you can still make something accessible without compromising security. People like you should get a job as a server at a beer parlor. That is where you belong.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Princek12(m): 7:34pm On Jul 31, 2011
REP S NIG:

Brilliant, Incisive. Please do this country a favour and become a columnist. You are a fountain of wisdom.

Thanks a million for the compliment.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by Blackteeth(m): 7:40pm On Jul 31, 2011
@natasha. I like your desciption. Wish I could see it myself.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by tonjoan: 10:06pm On Jul 31, 2011
natasha:

Its evident that most of the people claiming to have visited Aso rock, have probably never visited Abuja. I have been to Aso Villa and might i start by saying Aso Rock is Different from the "Villa" as its called.
Aso Rock i.e the moutain we see in pictures is actually located behind Gowon Barracks (Now called Mambilla Barracks).
Whilst the presidential Villa is indeed a big Villa. There are several security gates you have to pass through to actually get to the villa. I happen to know this cos my hubby is in the military and ve tagged along as his +1 for a breakfast & Dinner during Obj's regime.
If you drive through Aso drive - the first gate, the third turn on your left (i believe) is where you need to be headed to get the villa. There are certainly many turns to be made however i dont think its appropriate to write all that info here on a public forun due to the current security situation in Nigeria. But i can tell you that Mr president's House is Palatial. There's a reception Area, and then a sitting room which was where we sat when we went for the breakfast. And everyone in the house (excluding workers, cooks, security etc) has to gather for prayers with mr Obj, Jerry Gana and the then Pastor of the Villa. After the prayers we were ushered to a dinning room that sat around 30 people and the rest is history, Might i add that the First lady's villa is next to the President's own and then next to the First Lady's villa is the ADC's House.
But make no mistake, the interior decor is MIND blowing. There were mirrors everywhere in the house as well.

Thanks natasha. your description of the villa best fits what I've been told by friends who have visited. These friends of mine are not even do not even know one another.
Re: Has Anyone Here Seen Aso Rock Villa? by tonjoan: 10:09pm On Jul 31, 2011
natasha:

Thanks natasha. your description of the villa best fits what I've been told by friends who have visited. These friends of mine are not even known to one another.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yobe Under Attack / South-East South-South Professionals Association Of Nigeria Endorses Peter Obi / No Money To Fix Refineries – FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.