Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? (3597 Views)

Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / What Is The Pidgin Translation Of Your Native Name? / Whats Your Native Name And Its Meaning. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Andrew3(m): 9:18am On Aug 01, 2011
Is It Wrong To Demand For A Change Of Name?

I couldn't believe such archaic, barbaric, excommunicated and denounced names are still in use.
I met this guy on facebook that happens to be from makurdi from benue state, where i also come from
A full grown up man of up to 7 years older than me, while discussing about gsm programming i asked his name
to ma sunrise  he told me inyam-ityo, this in benue means meat for the ancestors waoooo i was shocked, i told
him so you cant modify what you dont like about yourself, i was surprised when he told me consider it a taboo if i changed my name given to me by ma parents. said ok, if you keep looking where they looked, you will see what
they saw. nairalanders is it in any ethnic group an abomination to change your native name?
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by tpia5: 2:36pm On Aug 01, 2011
Lord have mercy.

I would change it asap.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Bestglo(f): 11:58am On Aug 02, 2011
angry i won't accept that rubbish name
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Andrew3(m): 9:47pm On Aug 02, 2011
Bestglo:

angry i won't accept that rubbish name
WHAT IF YOU HAPPEN TO COME FROM A VILLAGE WHERE YOU DARE NOT?
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by tpia5: 11:42pm On Aug 02, 2011
if you're toast either way, then just change it.

move out of the village as well.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by iice(f): 3:14am On Aug 03, 2011
I don't know if i would change it. Prolly will just shorten it undecided
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by dayokanu(m): 4:15am On Aug 03, 2011
whats in a name? Nothing
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by ifyalways(f): 4:22pm On Aug 25, 2011
Why don't he change it to meat for God or something undecided

I wont bear such a miserable name,tufia.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by femmy2010(m): 4:26pm On Aug 25, 2011
Choice it is.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 25, 2011
What's wrong with it ?
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Aug 25, 2011
No problem. Simply find a way to modernize it so as to look y2k compliance.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by kadman(m): 4:45pm On Aug 25, 2011
iice:

I don't know if i would change it. Prolly will just shorten it undecided

Lol, shorten it to just meat instead of meat of the Gods. grin
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by kunlekunle: 4:57pm On Aug 25, 2011
whats in a name? Nothing[size=20pt][/size][size=20pt][/size]

u for ask winehouse
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by AmeboAjela(f): 5:12pm On Aug 25, 2011
::Andrew:::

WHAT IF YOU HAPPEN TO COME FROM A VILLAGE WHERE YOU DARE NOT?

Abeg na for where that Village dey make I go take name and later come change am. We dey under the banner of the ALMIGHTY and we no suppose to stick with name when no make sense or dey scary, this has nothing to do with respecting our culture. Our traditional names suppose to make sense pass the English one, if now wetin we need am for?
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by kokoye(m): 5:12pm On Aug 25, 2011
I would change it to to-to-ri-to
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by DeGenius3(m): 5:35pm On Aug 25, 2011
i will not hesitate to change that name.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by nigerhead(m): 5:52pm On Aug 25, 2011
Why wont I change such a name, if I were the one. That is part of why some peoples life are backward. Why should you be food for your ancestors; the one wey dem don chop never do dem? The guy suppose even follow go beat him Mama and Papa for village, why dem go give their son that kin name?

As for the question, as far as I know it is not an abomination to change your native name, I'm from the South-West and I see people changing their names regularly, though its mostly influenced by them becoming Christians.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by nnabuike1(m): 5:56pm On Aug 25, 2011
You need to be from benue culture to understand the true meaning of the name.  To tell you the truth, "meat of the ancestors"  does not sound much more alarming as Osunkwo or Osuani, Ogbunike or even "lamb of god" for the benefit of those who now give credit to only those things that are fabricated by the white man.
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by 27naira(m): 5:58pm On Aug 25, 2011
Adam. undecided
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 25, 2011
I won't hesitate 2 change such uncultured name. Or beta stil dnt bear it at all!!
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Rastamann: 6:30pm On Aug 25, 2011
It is just a name, so whats the stress? Why have the gods' not eaten him since all these years?
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Aug 25, 2011
There is nothing wrong in changing anything in your life that you feel uncomfortable with, or do not like. Especially when it comes to a very powerful thing to your life as your name is. If yo haven't known or realized yet; your name tells much of your life and destiny. The dicision is yours to take,
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Natasha2(f): 7:22pm On Aug 25, 2011
what is wrong in a native me? me i love my native name die  cheesy for me the only time one should change his/her native name should be when the name means something bad then you are free to change, but as long as it has a good meaning why do hell should one change the name?  undecided but seriously the guy should change it na haba its not good and there's nothing wrong in changing your bad native name  cheesy
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by emesv26(m): 7:25pm On Aug 25, 2011
you never say what u dont d man in question knows what is saying if u cant there are 1001 ppls dat can,
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by franko2: 7:29pm On Aug 25, 2011
only people who have never been to the seaport (talkless) of airport, feel such inferiority complex to wanna consider a change of name,,,it reinforces ur complex when u thi nk people would (laugh at u?) assess ur intellect or 'coolness'? based on ur name? waow!!

i changed my silly "christian" to my okoro name, simply because it gave the oyinbos an extra bone to chew before they consider approaching me for anything, and guess what? it worked purrrfectly!!!  no more frivolous and fake chats from them,

help yasef ma guy, wake up, ur bloody black african like me, no matter wich egungun masquerade english name u carry, any better person with half a brain sees u for who u are, and if they dont, they shud be binned - u guys must be from iyana idimu or someplace like that to be so embarassing, na wa ya!!!
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by bamosagie(m): 7:30pm On Aug 25, 2011
such a beautiful name, why would anyone want to change it. "meat for ancestors" can you imagine any insidiuos personality trying to outdo/undo anyone with that name. even the witches in katsina ala, gboko, konshisha, ikpayongor, makurdi e.t.c will keep their distance!
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by franko2: 7:31pm On Aug 25, 2011
and, oh by d way! the name here is a pseudonym - which corresponds to ma silly a*s old xtian name, wich i trashed ofcourse,  sorry!
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Aug 25, 2011
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][b][/b]MY FELLOW PATRIOTS, I SAMUEL 24, I have decided TO LEAD A REVOLUTION IN NIGERIA ON OCTOBER 1ST, AND I NEED SUPPORT OF ALL OF YOU. MY MAIN AIM IS TO BRING DOWN THE GOVERNMENT AND THE ESTABLISHMENT SO THAT NIGERIA CAN START AFRESH WITH BRIGHT HOPE. WE HAVE SEEN THE OUTCOME OF COUNTRIES LIKE EGYPT, LIBYA, TUNISIA AND CO AND SEE HW THINGS ARE GRADUALLY IMPROVING FOR THEM. NIGERIANS (WHICH I AM PART OF) CAN NOT CONTINUE TO SUFFER AND "WAIT ON THE LORD", LIKE MOSES DID, WE NEED TO TAKE OUR DESTINY AND DEFINE A BRIGHT FUTURE FOR OUR YOUNG ONES AND THE NEXT GENERATION, PLEASE I NEED INTERESTED YOUNG PEOPLE TO JOIN ME IN THIS TASK, THIS WILL BE A PEACEFUL BUT COMMITTED REVOLUTION, AND IF I DIE IN THE COURSE, SO BE IT, GOD BLESS NIGERIA, interested volunteers are welcome
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by bamosagie(m): 7:46pm On Aug 25, 2011
@what lfy or whatever you are called
try somalia or elsewhere, your type is definitely not needed here, you are wasting your time!
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by dotman2(m): 8:01pm On Aug 25, 2011
meat of the ancestors- eran awon iya mi eleye!
wch kind name be dismeat of the ancestors- eran awon iya mi eleye!
wch kind name be dis
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Aug 25, 2011
bamosagie, unfortunately, i am not soliciting for support from your kind that is benefitting from the rot nigeria have become, NB, i never said i want to stage a VIOLENT revolution, because i am a very peaceful Christian but i am determined to change Nigeria for the better, And please i have decided to sacrifice my life for the change of Nigeria, and with the Help of Almighty God, Nigeria will change what i am seeking for are volunteers, but if i can't have any, i will go ahead and do it alone
Re: Is It An Abomination To Change Your Native Name? by aieromon(m): 9:07pm On Aug 25, 2011
There's no way i could keep such an awful name.

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Perspective On Same Sex "Marriage". / I Want To Perfect My Igbo / The Orikis Of All Yoruba Subgroups (videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.