Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,134 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:46 AM

2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone (6925 Views)

State By State Statistics Of 2014 Waec Results. / Cancellation Of 2nd Choice Option In JAMB UTME 2014 / Jamb Utme 2012/2013 Registration Has Commenced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by ektbear: 4:53pm On Aug 01, 2011
I saw this on the NaijaPolitics web forum, and decided to type up part of it here. Basically, it is a list of how many indigenes of each state took JAMB, and what fraction got different cutoffs. Cutoffs are "Above 170", "Above 180", "Above 190", "Above 200", but out of laziness I just typed up the first two.

Here is a bar plot with the # of people who took JAMB by zone: http://i53.tinypic.com/ra8685.png

And now a bar plot of pass rates by zone: http://i55.tinypic.com/f1il45.png

Same data as above, but in a table:

Finally, a spreadsheet listing the performance of all the states:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsNUaGBnBF1KdDlaYldCWFlZcjB1MEVyQmdxOXdGb3c&hl=en_US

Imo State leads the way with the # of indigenes taking JAMB. Bayelsa the least in the south, Zamfara the least in Nigeria. If we chose a cutoff of 170 and count how many get above 170, then Lagos, Ogun, Osun and Oyo lead the way in Nigeria. . . all at around 88%. Worst performing state is Nasarawa at a shade over 66%. So in other words, only 66% of Nasarawa indigenes taking JAMB get above 170.

Zonewise, # of test takers is as follows:

1. SE 354850
2. SW 353231
3. SS 340003
4. NC 243499
5. NW 123659
6. NE 78058

Sorted by percentage getting better than 170, we get the following ranking:

1. SW 87.73%
2. SE 84.29%
3. SS 81.58%
4. NC 77.91%
5. NW 73.76%
6. NE 72.74%

A few comments:
[list]
[A] I think that Kwara State indigenes deserve a shout out here. Their 86.3% pass rate above 170 is the highest in the North, and they had 48k+ test takers (i.e., not a measly amount.)
[B] Imo State is very interesting to me. Either it has probably one of the highest indigene populations in Nigeria, or the people there are exceptionally interested in education.
[/list]
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by SouthEast1: 4:58pm On Aug 01, 2011
To make any meaningful meaning out of this,  get at least 5-6 years data back and see the skew. Igbos beat you consistently. Only a half-baked daft will prance around with a single data set.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-237534.0.html
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by ektbear: 5:09pm On Aug 01, 2011
What does "beat you consistently" mean?

Total # of exam takers, or percentage reaching certain thresholds?

If the former, there is this thread here: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-237534.0.html which lists results by zone, but unfortunately doesn't provide the data in some sort of spreadsheet/table so one can examine it independently. I also don't know how that data was pulled from the JAMB site. . . did the JAMB website list zonal/state data in the past? Or did they go through some table/spreadsheet on the JAMB site to get the #s? In any case, I wish I knew, or the author had provided it.

And yes, you are right. This is only one year's worth of data. Probably not best to for example gamble your life based upon a relatively small sample size. But still interesting to look at, I think.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by Bawss1(m): 5:18pm On Aug 01, 2011
In a very short while this may turn into another ethnic lashing thread. Just watch.  sad
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by ektbear: 5:20pm On Aug 01, 2011
I don't think that this thread has to involve any bashing. I didn't attack or put anyone down in this thread. I have in fact commended certain groups like Imo and Kwara.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by Bawss1(m): 5:22pm On Aug 01, 2011
Yeah but we all know how things go on NL. Wait till the zealots arrive.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by SouthEast1: 5:23pm On Aug 01, 2011
Also, that website you have is no official source of important info such as this. The JAMB website was working when we showed all these data here on NL in the past. Somehow Dibu Ojerinde took over JAMB and destroyed that website. I can create my own blog and write whareva.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by ektbear: 5:29pm On Aug 01, 2011
South-East:

Also, that website you have is no official source of important info such as this. The JAMB website was working when we showed all these data here on NL in the past. Somehow Dibu Ojerinde took over JAMB and destroyed that website. I can create my own blog and write whareva.

Nobody saw fit to download the data from the JAMB site? Do you remember the URLs? Maybe I can see if it was stored in the google cache, wayback machine or some other archive.

Really the author of that article should have provided the raw data so we wouldn't have to guess about what he did.

BTW, the data provided here is supposedly from a recent JAMB presentation. I hope it gets uploaded online, as well as data from previous years. Importantly, with pass rates by zone! Something the other article never provided. Telling how many took the exam is one thing, telling what % got above 180, 200, etc is another. . . and arguably more important.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by Nobody: 6:07pm On Aug 01, 2011
interesting but there are questions we should start asking our leaders, the south east is the least populated region in nigeria with only 5 states but they have the highest exam takers and possible highest university enrollment rate why is that so ? also you will notice that kwara state which have a high muslim population are doing better most christian states in terms of education so the north should no longer use islam as an excuse for their children not going to school.

1 Like

Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by londoner: 6:37pm On Aug 01, 2011
@OP, did you quickly rush to create a thread because you saw that the SW was ahead of the SE?

Lol.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by SouthEast1: 7:10pm On Aug 01, 2011
DRlulu:

interesting but there are questions we should start asking our leaders, the south east is the least populated region in nigeria with only 5 states but they have the highest exam takers and possible highest university enrollment rate why is that so ? also you will notice that kwara state which have a high muslim population are doing better most christian states in terms of education so the north should no longer use islam as an excuse for their children not going to school.

Igbos will be done with if by the next census they do not insist that ethnicity be added in the exercise. Igbo high migration has a price in terms of lessesning Igbo population in the homeland, but at least our people abroad are sending so much money home that poverty in Igboland is far less than you will see elsewhere in Nigeria. South East may have the least population, but Igbos are the most populated group in Nigeria. That is why they lead in almost everything there is in Nigeria.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by SouthEast1: 7:13pm On Aug 01, 2011
londoner:

@OP, did you quickly rush to create a thread because you saw that the SW was ahead of the SE?

Lol.

Apparently so. Even if we go by this single data. There is no statistical difference between 87 and 84, between 71 and 6, nor is there going to be any between 354850 and 353231. So this thread is DOA.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 01, 2011
South-East:

Igbos will be done with if by the next census they do not insist that ethnicity be added in the exercise. Igbo high migration has a price in terms of lessesning Igbo population in the homeland, but at least our people abroad are sending so much money home that poverty in Igboland is far less than you will see elsewhere in Nigeria. South East may have the least population, but Igbos are the most populated group in Nigeria. That is why they lead in almost everything there is in Nigeria.

we are not talking about ethnic group here ,there are those of us too in the south south , am not really sure if we are the most populated, i think the hausas and yorubas have a larger population cus they are also found in neighbouring countries so they could easily migrate to nigeria and also they are more ploygamous than the easterners so i doubt if igbos have a larger population.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by SouthEast1: 7:29pm On Aug 01, 2011
DRlulu:

we are not talking about ethnic group here ,there are those of us too in the south south , am not really sure if we are the most populated, i think the hausas and yorubas have a larger population cus they are also found in neighbouring countries so they could easily migrate to nigeria and also they are more ploygamous than the easterners so i doubt if igbos have a larger population.

We are talking about Nigerians, not Yoruba/hausa in other countries. Also, your question can only be answered if ethnicity is included in the census. Here in the USA, ethnicity/race is always in the census. There is no way Igbo is not the most populous group in Nigeria.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by CyberG: 7:36pm On Aug 01, 2011
I like that this thread provides some information about education Nigeria which is good enough on its own. But why is the cut-off point reducing? Down to 170? shocked shocked is less than 50% of the total mark of 400 or is JAMB now over 300?

@South-East, don't start bringing tribes into the conversation. You will distract the discussion when this descends into another unprofitable fight based on racial hatred, bigotry and tribalism. Every statistic represents a Nigerian, that is our present reality, and let that be the basis of discussion -- not your tribe vs other tribes.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by SouthEast1: 7:39pm On Aug 01, 2011
CyberG:

I like that this thread provides some information about Nigeria which is good enough on its own.

@South-East, don't start bringing tribes into the conversation. You will distract the discussion when this descends into another unprofitable hatred in bigotry and tribalism. Every statistic represents a Nigerian, that is our present reality, and let that be the basis of discussion -- not your tribe vs other tribes.

What is Nigeria without zones? To begin with, the topic is not about individuals but zones. Wetin you chop? There is no individual stats here but zonal stats.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by seanet02: 7:46pm On Aug 01, 2011
We have always known this.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by CyberG: 7:47pm On Aug 01, 2011
South-East:

What is Nigeria without zones? To begin with, the topic is not about individuals but zones. Wetin you chop? There is no individual stats here but zonal stats.

Statistics on individual basis is impracticable at the level of this news, hence it has been summarized to give a snapshot of data. Wetin I chop is really delicious grin grin tongue but the point is do not see every statistic or news as this tribe Vs that tribe.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by SouthEast1: 8:30pm On Aug 01, 2011
CyberG:

Statistics on individual basis is impracticable at the level of this news, hence it has been summarized to give a snapshot of data. Wetin I chop is really delicious grin grin tongue but the point is do not see every statistic or news as this tribe Vs that tribe.

Wetin you chop bitter because there is no way you can discuss this topic without ethnicity/zones. The data was also comparative. Bottomline: we need data for as many years as possible. We have established since several years back when data became available that more SE people take JAMB; we need such determination to establish who passes more and who graduates more.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by kettykin: 9:16pm On Aug 01, 2011
The result can only be valid of it came from jamb.
Moreover with all the magical centres in the Country the issues gets more complicated.
Anyways the figures from jamb shows the se has the highest number of admisson with imo and anambra pooling more admitted students than ogun .osun.ondo.oyo.

Another very important milestone is the number of intskes reading engineering and medicine which also puts the Se above other regions.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by CyberG: 9:49pm On Aug 01, 2011
South-East:

Wetin you chop bitter because there is no way you can discuss this topic without ethnicity/zones. The data was also comparative. Bottomline: we need data for as many years as possible. We have established since several years back when data became available that more SE people take JAMB; we need such determination to establish who passes more and who graduates more.

Your bitterness of other tribes is beclouding your sense! Your only point on all threads Nigerian is tribe, tribe, tribe! Well, enjoy your bitterness because you obviously learnt nothing from your fathers! In the meantime, let the conversation focus on the issue, not what I ate or me: it is NOT your business.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by baggs: 9:56pm On Aug 01, 2011
pls can anyone tell me post-jamb date for uniben, ABU, and UDUS(sokoto). Tanks.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by Nobody: 10:19pm On Aug 01, 2011
We always knw dat dis new jamb registra is a tribalist. Since past 9yrs SE jamb applicant always beat SW by 80000. He scrapped d each state statistics which has always been on jamb site. I wonder hw we beat dem wit only 1000. Yorubas n tribalism. Nw he say SW did better than SE. Na only him sabi.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by geosegun(m): 10:39pm On Aug 01, 2011
kcswat:

We always knw dat dis new jamb registra is a tribalist. Since past 9yrs SE jamb applicant always beat SW by 80000. He scrapped d each state statistics which has always been on jamb site. I wonder hw we beat dem wit only 1000. Yorubas n tribalism. Nw he say SW did better than SE. Na only him sabi.

And you think this is a reasonable comment?
Naija is in deep shit with this kind of attitude if goes unchanged.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by Obiagu1(m): 11:02pm On Aug 01, 2011
When has JAMB pass mark reduced below 200?
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by Mobinga: 11:32pm On Aug 01, 2011
And so? Why do you guys care so much about zones, tribes? What the phuck is wrong with you people?
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by SouthEast2: 12:29am On Aug 02, 2011
CyberG:

Your bitterness of other tribes is beclouding your sense! Your only point on all threads Nigerian is tribe, tribe, tribe! Well, enjoy your bitterness because you obviously learnt nothing from your fathers! In the meantime, let the conversation focus on the issue, not what I ate or me: it is NOT your business.

You are a certified idi.ot if you presume you can dictate for me what to write. Now, have we met before?
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by Reggie2(m): 12:33am On Aug 02, 2011
Some guys in 9ja hate to hear about statistics but Y. Truth is that in the 70/80s candidates from SE had to change their names to Mallan Sanusi in order 2 be admitted in northern Universities due to obnoxious quota system. No do, No do, the then FG invented EDUCATIONALLY BACKWARD ALLOWANCE sponsored from oil money. The same almajiries are fighting the rest of the country today against western education after collecting fees as educationally disadvantaged states! Do you follow me? These guys did not refuse the money then nor did they fight the government 4 telling them to go to school. My humble opinion is that, the statistics from the northern Jambites ought to be verified because half may still be southerners living there. Talking about bringing tribe into this kind of discussion, it appears indispensable for reasons of political imbalance in the system. It's as unrealistic as the Americans talking about intelligent quotients btw whites and blacks after decades of socio-economic segregation. Yes, there is a big need for statistical accuracy in Nigeria in order to ensure a just society.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by ektbear: 1:17am On Aug 02, 2011
Obiagu1:

When has JAMB pass mark reduced below 200?

You seem to have misread something somewhere. Perhaps reread the OP

Mobinga:

And so? Why do you guys care so much about zones, tribes? What the phuck is wrong with you people?
I also posted info by state. It is personally useful for me to know that my own state's pass rates aren't too far off from others in my zone. Etc, etc. There is nothing inherently tribal in my initial post, since I make no mention of tribes.

londoner:

Lol.
What does "ahead" even mean in this context? What is your own basis for saying "ahead"? And how can one conclude "ahead" based upon one year's worth of data?

At any rate, who ultimately cares about my motives. . . the more important thing is the data itself, not the who/why/what of its posting.
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by SouthEast2: 1:38am On Aug 02, 2011
ekt_bear:

At any rate, who ultimately cares about my motives. . . the more important thing is the data itself, not the who/why/what of its posting.

Is this a data? Na so your teach teach you to collect data? So much for your sabi sabi
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by ektbear: 1:40am On Aug 02, 2011
South.East:

Is this a data? Na so your teach teach you to collect data? So much for your sabi sabi

Heh. Kindly explain how this is not data? grin I'd be very curious to hear what it is, then. If it isn't "data", what is it, hydroponics expert?
Re: 2011 Jamb/utme Data By State/zone by ektbear: 1:41am On Aug 02, 2011
You may want to look up the definition of the word 'data' and see whether this falls under it. I know that you perhaps don't speak English as a first language, so the mistake is understandable.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

It Is Not Face Cap, Here Is The Correct Spelling / Sales Of Auchi Poly 2016/2017 Nd Form Has Been Extended / Cambrige International Exam (CIE O Level) Or WAEC O Level

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.