Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,147 members, 7,780,088 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:29 AM

Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? (2709 Views)

Nigerian Girl Racially Abused In The UK For Her Struggle To Graduate(pics) / OOU Best Graduating student: My Sister Stopped School For Me To Graduate / How To Graduate With First Class- My Experiences And Lessons Learnt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by HisMajesty1(m): 1:04pm On Aug 02, 2011
I'm kind of confused these days when i hear students graduate with first class from one university or another, with the kind of BARRIERS we have as lecturers in various universities across the federation who resort to compelling girls to sleep with them and guys to 'SORTING' dem, is it really possible to graduate from a Nigerian university without any dubious means?? Need ur contributions, thanks.
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by Odunnu: 9:34pm On Aug 02, 2011
His Majesty:

I'm kind of confused these days when i hear students graduate with first class from one university or another, with the kind of BARRIERS we have as lecturers in various universities across the federation who resort to compelling girls to sleep with them and guys to 'SORTING' dem, is it really possible to graduate from a Nigerian university without any dubious means?? Need your contributions, thanks.
I graduated from a Nigerian university without sorting, sleeping or indulging in any illegal runz.
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by Nobody: 10:16pm On Aug 02, 2011
Most people that 'sor't do so just to graduate, not to have First Class. First Class goes with a lot of societal expectations that no sane lecturer or department will dash it by runz.

I put forward this rejoinder when someone rubbished First Class degree in a newspaper article last year: http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/in-defence-of-first-class-degree/76521/

By God's special grace of God, I am a First Class Grad and an ICAN award winner. I couldnt have 'sorted' my way out in both. Ditto for the tens of First Class grads I know.
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by texazzpete(m): 10:30pm On Aug 02, 2011
It is nearly impossible to obtain a 1st class result purely through 'runs'.
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by semid4lyfe(m): 10:46pm On Aug 02, 2011
If the OP believes it's impossible to graduate with a First Class without doing runs, make hin just gather some millions to dole out to hin lecturers so hin go graduate with First Class. . .C'est fini!

Very retarded thought process

Hisses and leaves the thread. . . . . .
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by werepeLeri: 10:52pm On Aug 02, 2011
I now understand why our universities churn out half baked graduates with the mindset of the poster.
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by violent(m): 11:03pm On Aug 02, 2011
I now understand why our universities churn out half baked graduates with the mindset of the poster.

Very slow thought process

You two should slow your roll, the topic is actually a valid one for argument, like it or not. . .

[b]Most [/b]people that 'sor't do so just to graduate, not to have First Class. First Class goes with a lot of societal expectations that no sane lecturer or department will dash it by runz.

[b]It is nearly [/b]impossible to obtain a 1st class result purely through 'runs'.

Keywords; "Most" , "nearly"

Is it safe to then infer that it is actually possible, but we can't really ascertain or measure to what extent?

The logic here is; if a 2:1 is available for sale, why not first class?. . .are there not cases, where an average student who should normally graduate with a 2:1, ended up with a first class degree due to questionable relationships he or she had with some key members of faculty?
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by adagz01(m): 11:06pm On Aug 02, 2011
werepeLeri:

just my tought
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by dayokanu(m): 11:13pm On Aug 02, 2011
Very few lecturers would risk accepting bribes to give you a first class,

When you graduate with a First Class, then You are good.
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by dont8(m): 12:12am On Aug 03, 2011
I don't think they 'll risk given that out through ''Eni to mo way,lo mo we'',because you 'll be made to defend it,one way or the other one day.
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by Nobody: 5:39am On Aug 03, 2011
violent:

You two should slow your roll, the topic is actually a valid one for argument, like it or not. . .

Keywords; "Most" , "nearly"

Is it safe to then infer that it is actually possible, but we can't really ascertain or measure to what extent?

The logic here is; if a 2:1 is available for sale, why not first class?. . .are there not cases, where an average student who should normally graduate with a 2:1, ended up with a first class degree due to questionable relationships he or she had with some key members of faculty?
Technically possibile due to the fact that the variables involved(lecturers, faculty) can be manipulated to achieve the result, but practically almost impossible due to these factors:
1, It involves cooperation of at least 70% of your lecturers from year 1 to final, some outside your dept, Nigerian universities have not become that bad. Principled lecturers still exist in good percentage who will not be party to such.
2, For one to stand a chance of being 'lifted' he should be a 2-1 material by self-efforts at least. A strong 2-1 material should not have much problem defending 1-1.
3, Sleeping for marks and sorting are usually almost the exclusive preserve of those that struggle not to fail or not to have caary over or spill over or 'let me just graduate'. Most 1-1 and strong 2-1 people have some decency and will hardly fall low to sleep with lecturers for marks. A sane lecturer will not give a 'runz' person A, can only push from fail to maybe E or C.

So it is hardly possible, practically, but these factors can be beaten though. But in my own school I knew, you can NEVER make it by runz, because apart from the many principledl lecturers who are ready to even expose colleagues, everybody in class nay school knows your capacity, so most 1-1 grads are well known and progress followed right from year 1. Everybody in class knows the usual A-getters and no lecturer dare give A to ano undeserving unkown quatity by sorting or sleeping.
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by Odunnu: 5:51am On Aug 03, 2011
One thing I do know and i'm certain of is that I respect anybody who has a first class from a federal or state university. Its usually awarded after due scrutiny and very rare.
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by udbyron1(m): 6:44am On Aug 03, 2011
its 100% possible cuz thats what am to do right ahead
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by Osas006: 7:29am On Aug 03, 2011
Graduating with First class is possible but not dat easy. It deal with making som personal sacrifice which most student are unwilling 2 make, every body want to ave fun in sch
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by chamber2(m): 7:45am On Aug 03, 2011
Technically possibile due to the fact that the variables involved(lecturers, faculty) can be manipulated to achieve the result, but practically almost impossible due to these factors:
1, It involves cooperation of at least 70% of your lecturers from year 1 to final, some outside your dept, Nigerian universities have not become that bad. Principled lecturers still exist in good percentage who will not be party to such.
2, For one to stand a chance of being 'lifted' he should be a 2-1 material by self-efforts at least. A strong 2-1 material should not have much problem defending 1-1.
3, Sleeping for marks and sorting are usually almost the exclusive preserve of those that struggle not to fail or not to have caary over or spill over or 'let me just graduate'. Most 1-1 and strong 2-1 people have some decency and will hardly fall low to sleep with lecturers for marks. A sane lecturer will not give a 'runz' person A, can only push from fail to maybe E or C.

So it is hardly possible, practically, but these factors can be beaten though. But in my own school I knew, you can NEVER make it by runz, because apart from the many principledl lecturers who are ready to even expose colleagues, everybody in class nay school knows your capacity, so most 1-1 grads are well known and progress followed right from year 1. Everybody in class knows the usual A-getters and no lecturer dare give A to ano undeserving unkown quatity by sorting or sleeping.

Ever ready. You captured the whole thing. The truth is, it is practically impossible. Nigerian universities have not degenerated to such pitiable level. I am yet to meet a first class product who does not worth his salt. I think we should be talking about 2.1 here and not 1.1.
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by HisMajesty1(m): 9:00am On Aug 03, 2011
@semid4lyfe nd werepeleri; wats wrong wif u both, i brougth out dis topic for reasonable delibration, nd not for u guys to pick at me, @ everyoda person, Tanks ur views are appreciated.
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by Emperoh(m): 9:24am On Aug 03, 2011
Very possible, but pray to be in a dept with principled teachers!!
Someone very close to me just did graduate 1st from UNN of all school. in EEE!!
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by obailala(m): 9:50am On Aug 03, 2011
answer to the topic question is YES!

No matter how endowed ur backside or wallets is, u can buy a 2.1 but u can never buy a 1st class
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by chamber2(m): 9:53am On Aug 03, 2011
No matter how endowed your backside or wallets is, u can buy a 2.1

Even with a very big backside, you will almost bleed before you will have a 2.1.
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by swaggerboi2011: 9:59am On Aug 03, 2011
hhhhh grin grin grin hisses,
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by jnrprof(m): 11:47am On Aug 03, 2011
My brother finished with a 1st class, got a distinction at masters level, won an award, and is presently pursuing his phd. even if he did runs here in 9ja, he definately couldn't have done runs in the UK where he got his masters. so yes, its very possible to get a 1st class on your own. all 1st class graduated that i know are actually very brilliant and they deserved their grades
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by violent(m): 4:45pm On Aug 03, 2011
, It involves cooperation of at least 70% of your lecturers from year 1 to final, some outside your dept, Nigerian universities have not become that bad. Principled lecturers still exist in good percentage who will not be party to such.

I disagree with this position. Nigerian Universities are really that bad. How else could one explain a situation where students who haven't attended a single course in universities ended up with degrees? Your assumptions seem to lie in the fact that lecturers are the only ones involved in manipulation of result, neglecting the fact that a larger percentage of scandals in the Uni seem to emerge from the administrative staffs.---people in charge of students records, clerks, managers, administrators, etc etc. . . .Who says you need 70 percent of your lecturers?

In a school like OSU where it's common to have departmental population in upwards of 3000 students, and combined with the Nigerian factor of poor record keeping, it's almost impossible for lecturers to have detailed accurate records on each and every students, and in several cases, the intergrity of student data is left in the hands of people earning little less than 30k a month. With less than 5 million naira cash, it's very possible to find people who are happy to change a few Bs to As without sweat.
Most people probably don't bother paying "the price" for a first class, probably because they don't need it anyway as most employers only require a minimum of 2:1 as a criteria for graduate employement. Imagine a word where the minimum criteria is a first class degree, without doubts, we are more likely to witness more "first class" graduates who could hardly explain the relevance of their course.

1 Like

Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by chamber2(m): 5:20pm On Aug 03, 2011
In a school like OSU where it's common to have departmental population in upwards of 3000 students, and combined with the Nigerian factor of poor record keeping, it's almost impossible for lecturers to have detailed accurate records on each and every students, and in several cases, the intergrity of student data is left in the hands of people earning little less than 30k a month. With less than 5 million naira cash, it's very possible to find people who are happy to change a few Bs to As without sweat.

And how many Nigerian students and families can afford 5m for sorting?FYI, results move from the lecturers to the HOD, from there to the Dean of the faculty before it gets to the the Exams and Records unit and finally to the senate for approval. you mean a student will have to keep following his results as it traverses different admin units and then settles each office as it gets there?

The easiest way to alter results is when it is still on the lecturer's table or if you can meet with those who mark and record the scripts, and you must be a Jezebel to locate them all. But in the case of first class, it is almost practically impossible to influence all your results. The class of your degree, in most cases, are determined by your 100 level performance, and at this level most people are still carried away by the euphoria of the university life and the freedom it affords, and would hardly remember the word ''sorting.''
Re: Is It Realistic To Graduate With A First Class By Merit Today? by blackcypha(m): 12:27am On Aug 04, 2011
hard but quite possible

(1) (Reply)

Does JAMB Set Questions Based On Their Syllabus? / Can I Read Computer Science With This Result? / List Of The Top 10 Most Richest People In The World And Their Net Worth (2018)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.