Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,055 members, 7,807,172 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? (2508 Views)

What Are Those House Chores That You Dont Like Doing? / Nobody Wants To Marry Us, Employers Reject Us, Our Skin Is A Problem –albinos / Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by Nobody: 11:04am On Aug 03, 2011
I have watched many Nolly wood, holly wood and bolly wood films where the parents have unequivocally rejected the choice of their wards regarding relationships with opposite s, e, x. Some wards that were defiant ended up having sour/bitter experiences whilst others never experienced any negative experience. BTW thats fictional and not factual

Point 2. Taking a look at what happened in the bible on 2 occasions. Abraham specifically told his servant not to pick a wife for Isaac from a particular tribe and also the parent of Samson rejected his choice of Delilah.  Of course we all know the fate of Samson for being defiant.

Looking at it Legally now. Parent tells a male/female not to date or marry someone they consider not 'good' enough for he/she for whatever reason and the child refuses to listen, can the parent disown the child or delist such child from inheritance?

Also want to know if the parents can legally prevent such child from having his emotional desires. They may be right Morally and culturally but don't know if same is applicable legally

NB this is a true life experience bother a mind as we speak at the moment. I've experienced similar thing on 2 occasions but had to obey their wishes
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Aug 03, 2011
These are just my views on this TOPIC!
Mr Toba! No Offence meant, but I have to say that the way you quote and mis-apply the BIBLE most times BAFFLES THE Poo OUTTA ME! YES! I see it that you use the parts of the bible that supports your motion and then you twist it to suit your argument! NO! Now you mentioned Abraham. In the days of Abraham and his son Isaac, how many people were serving the true GOD? How many Nations were serving the true GOD? Mind you that the nation of ISRAEL which GOD chose as his people then, had not yet been formed! Abraham never wanted his Son Isaac to marry from any tribe or Nation that DID NOT WORSHIP THE SAME GOD he (Abraham) Worshiped!
In the case of Samson, Who was Delilah? Was she an Israelite woman? Did she serve the SAME GOD as did Samson? Samson’s parents did the same thing Abraham did to Isaac! They only advised Samson not to marry a PHILISTINE! Now you saying to me, that it was because of these two examples, that you concur to the hypothesis that Parents have legal rights to reject a partner that I have chosen to marry, to me is ARRANTICUS NONSENTICUS! I say CAPITAL REJECTOMENTA to that!
WAKE UP and SMELL THA COFFEE Mehn! W.T.F is LEGALLY, CULTURALLY, or MORALLY right about rejecting my partner I have chosen? As long as she is of THE SAME FAITH as I am and we can live compatibly as man and wife who SHOULD come between us? My PARENTS? Will they live our lives for us? Haven’t you read in your BIBLE in GENESIS 2 vs 24 that “A MAN WILL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND STICK TO HIS WIFE AND THEY MUST  BECOME ONE FLESH”?
Seems I’m really gonna enjoy this! I’m just Getting warmed up! smiley
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by Greenpro: 3:02pm On Aug 03, 2011
Show them reasons while you want them to agree with you. Meanwhile, your previous sense of decision making may be poor and maybe the reason while they may be insisting on their choice.
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by chibaby5(f): 3:05pm On Aug 03, 2011
Lol ds topic is slightly funny. Which one is legal ryt again? It doesnt go.
Itz lyk sum1 saying they not enjoying life and askin if the Parents had the legal ryt to bring em to ds world undecided
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 03, 2011
firstly, its nice that u have commented here. However its imperative i state to u that u are getting the whole thing mixed up, confusing and at the same time equivocating with facts. This is due to ur being lopsided whilst reading the op and ur inability to get the full gist of what i was trying to potray before u hastily jumped into conclusion.  

I will try to guide u as regards the point im getting at

sexkillz:

These are just my views on this TOPIC!
Mr Toba! No Offence meant, but I have to say that the way you quote and mis-apply the BIBLE most times BAFFLES THE Poo OUTTA ME! YES! I see it that you use the parts of the bible that supports your motion and then you twist it to suit your argument! NO! Now you mentioned Abraham. In the days of Abraham and his son Isaac, how many people were serving the true GOD? How many Nations were serving the true GOD? Mind you that the nation of ISRAEL which GOD chose as his people then, had not yet been formed! Abraham never wanted his Son Isaac to marry from any tribe or Nation that DID NOT WORSHIP THE SAME GOD he (Abraham) Worshiped!

I know this isnt a religious class or the religious section so i wouldnt want us to derail this thread into being too religious. The story of Abraham that i brought up is to show another dimension of parents influence in the choice of their wards regarding picking the opposite sex partner. Theres more to the insistence of Abraham  on whom Isaac to marry than what u just posted above. Now listen to this those who have studied both the Bible and the modern Arabs will quickly recognize that in many instances there is a striking similarity between the customs and traditions displayed by both.. This customs is what i refereed to as 'Culturally' in the op.

@Sexkillz this is especially true where marriage is concerned. Indeed, understanding the Arab customs concerning marriage will illuminate and clarify many biblical references concerning marriage.

In the Middle East, it is not customary for men and women to select their own spouse. This is normally the prerogative of the[b] father[/b]

It is he who feels the ultimate responsibility for procuring a bride for a son and sees that his daughter gets married.

Immediately, one can begin to see biblical similarities. Father Abraham felt the responsibility of procuring a wife for Isaac (Gen. 24: 1-4). Hagar, after she was expelled from the camp of Abraham, sought out a wife for Ishmael from among the Egyptians (Gen. 21: 14-21). It was Jethro who gave Zipporah, his daughter to any man who could capture Diriath-sipher (Joshua 15: 16,17), and Saul who offered his daughter to anyone who could kill Goliath, the boastful champion of Philistines (1 Sam. 17: 1-25).

It has been said among the peoples of the Middle East, that if a man, during his life time, has given all his children in marriage "it sounds well in the ears of the fellahin". He then has fulfilled the duty of his life

@sexkillz, Arab marriages are made between members of close kinsmen. This type of practice has its biblical similarities. When Abraham decided it was time for Isaac to marry, he sent his servant to find Isaac a bride from among his own family in Mesopotamia (Gen. 28:2). Laban thought it better to give his daughter to Jacob, a nephew, rather than to a stranger (Gen. 29:19). Samson's father was dishearten when Samson wanted to marry out of their tribe (Judges 14:3). And the words of Moses, according to the word of the Lord, were: "This is the thing which the Lord doth command concerning the daughters of Zelophehad, saying, Let them marry to whom they think best; only to the family of the tribe of their father shall they marry" (Numbers 36:6).

Guy i would stop here so we wouldnt dive into being too religious about this matter. What i have show above is an example of CULTURE, where according to custom, the parents or the Family are at liberty to chose partners for their wards. Right here in Nigeria and in the Yoruba culture, same is still being practiced to some extent. The parents still do as it used to be done by the Arabs back then. This is cultural aspect of selection.

sexkillz:

In the case of Samson, Who was Delilah? Was she an Israelite woman? Did she serve the SAME GOD as did Samson? Samson’s parents did the same thing Abraham did to Isaac! They only advised Samson not to marry a PHILISTINE!

Samson's case is slightly different from that of Isaac. It is a terrible thing when the Spirit of God leaves a man or a woman. That person has no hope in the future to come, nothing to look forward to but the terrible judgments of God. The message isnt to different from what i shared above. Samson whether we like it or not disobeyed his parents and the Middle east custom and hence he tasted sour as a result of disobedience. This aspect is also talking about culture, custom and tradition where the parents have a say in whatever their children does.

sexkillz:

Now you saying to me, that it was because of these two examples, that you concur to the hypothesis that Parents have legal rights to reject a partner that I have chosen to marry, to me is ARRANTICUS NONSENTICUS! I say CAPITAL REJECTOMENTA to that!

At the characters in bold, now i see that u actually lost the message the thread is trying to portray. The hypothesis put forward above has nothing to do with legality if u truly understood that. What i have said or the biblical reference has more to do with Morality and Custom. i.e this is how we do it and this is how it is done or to be done. U must understand what legality means for u to differentiate its meaning from culture and morals.

The examples above werent legally binding on those concerned. Ok samson decided to go against the custom, but legally, the parents couldnt arrest him or forcefully impose their wish on him. Thats what im talking about. U are mixing things up and get ur self confused with ur inability to differentiate among the 3 different points and angle

sexkillz:

WAKE UP and SMELL THA COFFEE Mehn! W.T.F is LEGALLY, CULTURALLY, or MORALLY right about rejecting my partner I have chosen?
U are still missing the point sexkillz. I would advise u review the op once again for u to get the gist. Let me break it down a bit for ur consumption

LEGALLY: means permitted by law; lawful: Such acts are not legal. Law here is the state law or Country law and not cultural law. for instance Does the law of Nigeria permit my father to disown me from his inheritance for falling to marry who ever he chose for me?

CULTURALLY: of or pertaining to culture . Just like the Arab custom or Yoruba culture or Igbo culture, where they can say 'our daughters dont marry from so so so tribe' its against our custom bla bla bla its just an example

MORALLY: in a moral  manner. Is it right for a child to disobey the parent

The topic says Guys/ladies Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like

sexkillz:

As long as she is of THE SAME FAITH as I am and we can live compatibly as man and wife who SHOULD come between us? My PARENTS? Will they live our lives for us? Haven’t you read in your BIBLE in GENESIS 2 vs 24 that “A MAN WILL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND STICK TO HIS WIFE AND THEY MUST  BECOME ONE FLESH”?
Seems I’m really gonna enjoy this! I’m just Getting warmed up! smiley

I get ur point, however what about those marriages that our parents were against at the conception stages and after it went ahead same turned sour? Yoruba says oun oju agba ri to fi jin, to mode ba ri iru eee oju e ma fo ni

i.e What the elder have seen that made their eyes to go deep, if the child sees same, the child can go blind.

Im not 100% for parents picking after all they aren't the one that will live with the couples, but in some cases they may be right and they may be wrong.

For the purpose of this thread, is it possible for parents to enforce by force their wishes on their wards even to the extent of threatening them to follow their wishes? that's what i want us to look at.

Sometime ago, i was threatened not only by my parent but also by an uncle that if i should go ahead with a certain lady, i should for about getting any benefit from him as an uncle. Is that supposed to be even though he may be right?
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by Goldieluks: 4:01pm On Aug 03, 2011
essay much? undecided
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by iice(f): 4:28pm On Aug 03, 2011
Unless you're not of legal age. In that case people either run away or apply for emancipation.
I don't think you can legally disown a child though. May be wrong. Those who practice family law are better equipped to answer this.
Anyway i know you can verbally say you disown a family member, but they can still contest a will if they are cut of the inheritance.
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Aug 03, 2011
Exactly my point. If the will can be contested that would be fine but if not well its bad. Parents believe since they brought the children to life, they have total control over them and once they disobey, they can disown them or put a course on them.

A very power south west gov whom i wouldn't mention his name did that to his younger sister for marrying whom he hated. Whilst in office, he never supported their family, not until the sister pretended to have divorced the man before he had mercy on her. this shows how some families are built
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by AyanfeIre: 5:33pm On Aug 03, 2011
@All,

Sincerely, I have issues with parents rejecting their children's life partner choice due to some reasons. Some parents hide under "we have prayed about it and this is what God says"; Some also have personal reasons. But all the same, this happened to me and I will like everybody to read my story now as I disobeyed my parents. Click on this link:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-726248.0.html

Thank you as you advise me.
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 03, 2011
Wheres sexkillz? Ayanfe's case is a good eg of moral, cultural and disobedience error. Lets say he obeyed his parent, he might not have experienced evil
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by Nobody: 6:10pm On Aug 03, 2011
^^^3 things:
1. We DONT practice Arabian Marriages where i come from.
2. Ayanfe's story went SOUR doesn't mean all DO!.
3. Legal age is 18 here! If i leave my papa house, I don go be that! Haven't you seen people that got married without anyone's consent? Are they DEAD? undecided
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by kayjasper(f): 12:46am On Aug 05, 2011
Having read carefully all your submissions, i dare say in as much as you have the right to choose whoever you want to spend the rest of your life with,considerations are to be made on your parents opinion.
You have to seriously convince them on why you want to marry the person. Let them agree with you.
If you marry anybody in disobedience to your parent's there is bound to be dire consequences.
Its proven ten times over that, a marriage without your parents blessings will always have a 'k-leg'. Be wise,dont ever be misguided into any opinion that they dont matter.
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by clemcykul(f): 12:58pm On Aug 05, 2011
dey have the biological right but not legal right
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by fm7070: 8:59am On Aug 25, 2011
and that biological right and bond is more than any legal right.
What a child cannot see while standing, an adult will see it sitting.
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by ifyalways(f): 9:12am On Aug 25, 2011
Long essays,tiny prints,horrible colors . . . .the perfect combo for a quick nap/instant cure for insomnia.
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by iice(f): 3:03pm On Sep 21, 2011
Lmao
Re: Does Our Parent Have Legal Right To Reject A Partner They Dont Like? by ronkebp(f): 7:39pm On Sep 21, 2011
I think they have the rights and that is only if they have a genuine reason for that.

(1) (Reply)

What Would U Do If Ür 17yr Old Sister Presented U Wit A 4month Old Pregnancy? / 25 Ways To Ruin Your Marriage / How Women Contribute To Their Own Objectification.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.