Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,336 members, 7,780,879 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:02 AM

What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? (7163 Views)

Are Gay Men Better Dressers Than Straight Men? / Male Hair Dressers / Skimpy Dressers: Confidently Shy, Stupid, Or What? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by timpaker(m): 10:42am On Aug 04, 2011
i hate it when a male hair dresser tries to act sexy on my girlfriend's hair. angry
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Nwamama1: 1:01pm On Aug 04, 2011
When washing your hair, they will like to pour water into your ear and say Sorry,
If they intentionally do it or not, I don't know them, I hate it.
Almost all of hair dressers do this.

I HATE IT.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Oluwabee(f): 2:37pm On Aug 04, 2011
What i hate most is their gossip. They wait til you leave and then talks about you.

one day i here d owner of d salon whr i use complaining about a customer that she only come to her salon wen she want to retouch or set but wen she want to fix or sumtin she goes to anoda place. smh
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by akossyy: 3:46pm On Aug 04, 2011
Same thing they did to me this week all back and she did half parten, can u imagine that
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by LEEZNIJ: 6:28pm On Aug 04, 2011
THEY TALK TOO MUCH AND DONT DO THE EXACT STYE I REQUIRED FOR. THEY PISS ME OFF angry
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by easyon: 9:17pm On Aug 04, 2011
After you tip them,they notice a part of your hair wasn't tonged well,they ask you a question so many times(different gals) like the last time i went to the salon,four gals came to ask me if i will bond at different times that same day apart from the one that was fixing the weavon.Lastly they charge so much for their products,no steady price.they look at your face and dressing before cutting your neck and when you bring your own weavon,they tell you its fake and they wont really take their time to do your hair.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by InkedNerd(f): 9:34pm On Aug 04, 2011
easyon:

After you tip them,they notice a part of your hair wasn't tonged well,they ask you a question so many times(different gals) like the last time i went to the salon,four gals came to ask me if i will bond at different times that same day apart from the one that was fixing the weavon.Lastly they charge so much for their products,no steady price.they look at your face and dressing before cutting your neck and when you bring your own weavon,they tell you its fake and they wont really take their time to do your hair.

Fake?!?! What concern of theirs if the hair you wanna use is fake?!?! angry

A lot of them are just plain stupid. I read a hair article about a month ago and as it turns out, some of those supposed "real"/"100%" weaves actually have some synthetic hair pieces added to it. Because majority of it is may be human, they just group it together and call it "100%". Some people have some nerve!! It's a good thing I have friends who do hair and are professionals. Although I don't relax my hair, I still hate it when people provide a bad service towards paying customers angry
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by toyemz(f): 3:13am On Aug 05, 2011
when they claim to know a style
and afterwards you find they have just given you thier naija version .
then try to lie that it suits you better!!!
Grrrrrrr
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by blank(f): 8:56am On Aug 05, 2011
I would really love to see your hair. What do you do to it?

Inked_Nerd:

Fake?!?! What concern of theirs if the hair you wanna use is fake?!?! angry

A lot of them are just plain silly. I read a hair article about a month ago and as it turns out, some of those supposed "real"/"100%" weaves actually have some synthetic hair pieces added to it. Because majority of it is may be human, they just group it together and call it "100%". Some people have some nerve!! It's a good thing I have friends who do hair and are professionals. Although I don't relax my hair, I still hate it when people provide a bad service towards paying customers angry

Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by TheBBF(f): 9:37am On Aug 05, 2011
It so funny that when I started this topic it was just for fun to hear crazy hairdresser experiences. But now as I read through the responses I realize something serious: There might be very few or close to none qualified and educated hairdressers in Nigeria. shocked I remember hearing conversations about how African Americans have better hair or that if you live in America you hair will grow, blah blah. And to some extent that is true, but why it that? I realized that in the US there are trained beauticians/ cosmetologist that understand the science behind hair care and no how to make it thrive.

If a Nigerian hairdresser actually new the dangerous chemicals in a relaxer and the long term damage it could have on you hair and scalp they would not even contemplate conserving water when washing one out. Na wa oh.

Anyway like a previous poster said I have been doing my own hair now for 3 years and I have done more than well for myself. But even though I have successfully done my own hair that doesn't make me qualified to do any one elses. I can only give advice and tips based on what works for me. which is why I !have set up a blog to help my friends and others with their hair issues. This is serious sha. One can't say "Oya everybody! Start doing your hair yourself!" not everyone has the time or the know how, plus we can't put all the hair dressers in Nigeria out of business. But how do you train or educate them? what is the point of having or going to salon that make you break out in to a cold sweat whenever its time to relax, loosen, or braid your hair? hmmmmm I don't know.

1 Like

Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by pslm23(f): 4:56pm On Aug 05, 2011
In my opinion, I think the main problem with our Nigerian hair stylists is that they do not have the proper training required. We need proper beauty schools in Nigeria that will teach these young women everything that needs to be taught about relaxers, hot combs, flat irons, braiding, texturizers, weaves etc.

A proper course on Hair Styling 101 should last at least 6 months and at the end of their training, a certificate will be issued. Nobody should be allowed to just open a hair dressing salon without proper credentials because they were apprentices or learnt from their "aunty". It's time that Nigerians wake up and look around them and try to do things the way it should be done.

We take our lives for granted everyday. We expose our health to cancer causing chemicals and other stuff because we trust that the person handling our hair/scalp is a real professional. Washing someone's hair with just one bucket of water after relaxing is just plain wrong! Hair breakge, loss and possible infections from having that chemical remain on your hair/scalp will surely happen.  For all of you using relaxers and trusting these in-experienced girls to apply these chemicals on your hair, y'all need to find and watch a documentary Chris Rock did on the dangers of the stuff we black women put in our hair especially relaxers. The documentary is called Good Hair and you can watch the full thing online at www.youtube.com.

Even the women braiding in the markets, how often do the sterilize the pointy looking stick the use to part the hair? people can catch ringworm and other nasty scalp infections from un-sterilized equipments. The same goes for barber shops.

Let me not even start about the chemist shop in the corner! how many of them studied Pharmacology or even graduated University?

Enuff said!
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by TheBBF(f): 5:30pm On Aug 05, 2011
pslm23:

In my opinion, I think the main problem with our Nigerian hair stylists is that they do not have the proper training required. We need proper beauty schools in Nigeria that will teach these young women everything that needs to be taught about relaxers, hot combs, flat irons, braiding, texturizers, weaves etc.

A proper course on Hair Styling 101 should last at least 6 months and at the end of their training, a certificate will be issued. Nobody should be allowed to just open a hair dressing salon without proper credentials because they were apprentices or learnt from their "aunty". It's time that Nigerians wake up and look around them and try to do things the way it should be done.

We take our lives for granted everyday. We expose our health to cancer causing chemicals and other stuff because we trust that the person handling our hair/scalp is a real professional. Washing someone's hair with just one bucket of water after relaxing is just plain wrong! Hair breakge, loss and possible infections from having that chemical remain on your hair/scalp will surely happen. For all of you using relaxers and trusting these in-experienced girls to apply these chemicals on your hair, y'all need to find and watch a documentary Chris Rock did on the dangers of the stuff we black women put in our hair especially relaxers. The documentary is called Good Hair and you can watch the full thing online at www.youtube.com.

Even the women braiding in the markets, how often do the sterilize the pointy looking stick the use to part the hair? people can catch ringworm and other nasty scalp infections from un-sterilized equipments. The same goes for barber shops.

Let me not even start about the chemist shop in the corner! how many of them studied Pharmacology or even graduated University?

Enuff said!

Kai!!! @ that ring worm comment, na wa oh I didn't even think that far. lipsrsealed
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by InkedNerd(f): 2:14am On Aug 06, 2011
blank:

I would really love to see your hair. What do you do to it?

Sure, I cut my hair back in November but I can show you before and after shots of what it looks like. My hair routine is pretty basic. I rinse my hair everyday with water both morning and night, I wash my hair usually once a week--preferably Sundays, then I moisturize it. When I apply products to my hair, I apply it to my hair while my hair is still damp, that way as my hair air dries, it absorbs a lot of the product.

When I wanna wash my hair, I let water run through my hair for about 5-10 minutes to loosen up the dirt that may be there. After letting the water run through my hair, I apply black soap, Terressentials Cool Mint Pure Earth Hair Wash, or any other natural cleanser of my choosing to my hair and use my fingers to massage it through my scalp. After washing my hair, I normally don't use conditioner but lately I've been experimenting with a conditioner called Earthly Delights Hair Conditioner. I doubt I'll be buying it again though. When I'm done washing, I apply some raw/unrefined shea butter, oil, flax seed gel, aloe vera gel, or some Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Hair Masque. I pretty much try to keep my routine basic and as natural as possible. For the most part, the main products I use are water, raw/unrefined shea butter, and oil. Are you natural as well?
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by ThoniaSlim(f): 7:48pm On Aug 06, 2011
I remember back in Nigeria. . .the way some hair dressers wash your hair like they about to rip your skull out. . . That crap annoys the heck outta of me!
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Bukato: 3:38pm On Aug 11, 2011
What if a customer insisted on a particular chosen a style dat does not suit her face and @ d end complains dat it does not fit me. Wat wld d stylist do in dis case?
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by zaliya(f): 12:23pm On Aug 12, 2011
vivienne:

Nothing can beat a girl with body odour washing your hair! You have no choice but to endure that smell for atleast 10 minutes  lipsrsealed
el

, and when they put on sleeveless with unshoven dirty armpits!!!!
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by uzoo: 5:45pm On Aug 12, 2011
Infact I don't even know where to start.you have All said it all.
Smelly Arm pit,body odour,not getting the right hair style,giving u attitude,gossip,not having enough water to wash th hair(then close up the salon for crying out loud) watching and analysing boring nollywood videos tv while making my hair,and then when the hair comes out wrong they try to make u believe its finer than what u wanted.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Aug 12, 2011
what upsets me the most is that ALL the things they cant do to their hair,they will do it to yours, manhandle it till it all breaks off
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by uzoo: 4:30pm On Aug 13, 2011
a long time ago i had my weave on extensions removed by this girl in the salon, and as soon as she took out the last row she used the razor blade and cut the the end of the braids of the corn rows ,i screamed ( that's my hair !!) and she said no it wasn't , that it was the attachment added to my real hair in weaving my hair to place the weave on. i almost slapped her.

my hair is very long with lots of volume ( very full) that i don't bother using attachments when weaving corn rows for weave on . and this was what i was trying to tell hair and she kept arguing with me , i had to cut my hair to allow the chopped off area to grow equally with the rest.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Nobody: 10:22pm On Aug 14, 2011
Rake the comb through your hair like they're vacuuming a carpet/comb your hair harshly. angry angry
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by InkedNerd(f): 6:00pm On Aug 15, 2011
uzoo:

a long time ago  i had my weave  on extensions removed by this girl in the salon, and as soon as she took out the last row she used the razor blade and cut the the end of the braids of the corn rows ,i screamed ( that's my hair !!)  and she said no  it wasn't , that it was the attachment added to my real hair in weaving my hair to place the weave on. i almost slapped her.

my hair is very long with lots of volume ( very full) that i don't bother using attachments when weaving corn rows for weave on . and this was what i was trying to tell hair and she kept arguing with me , i had to cut my hair to allow the chopped off area to grow equally with the rest.

Smh, that reminds me of when my sister went to a salon near our house to get a touch up. So when sister got to the salon, she took a seat and the hair dresser started applying the relaxer to her roots. After some time, the relaxer started to burn and my sister told the woman and the woman said to her, "No it's not. Keep it in a little longer". Five minutes later my sister told the same idiȯt that the relaxer was starting to burn and once again the idiȯt  tells her to leave it on longer. At this point, my sister was getting upset so she told the woman that the relaxer was starting to burn and then finally the dummy washed it out!! When she washed it, she was messy while shampooing the relaxer out of her hair. Then on top of that, she didn't even have towels to dry my sisters hair. . . She used paper towels!!! Can you believe that?!?!? angry

When she was done I could tell right off the bat that my sister's hair looked different. It was very limp, had burns, and had a nasty crispy feeling to it. When she went to the Dominican salon, not once did she get a burn on her scalp or have crispy looking/feeling hair!!! Her hair was always bouncy and flowy!! To make things worse, the hairdresser was drinking Corona and talking about smoking weed the whole time while my sister was getting her hair done. Talk about unprofessional! It's sad because because salons like that are the same kind that complain that Dominican salons are taking their businesses away from them. What do you expect when you provide bad service like that?! tongue
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by afamoh(f): 10:57am On Aug 16, 2011
gisting and chewing while making my hair
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by blank(f): 4:33pm On Aug 16, 2011
@ Inked Nerd, i am not natural . My hair is too stubborn for that. Your hair regime is too much. I am very happy to just wash and steam and go on my own (nearly always fixing). Will still like to se your hair though.
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by mzansigirl(f): 4:46pm On Aug 16, 2011
I have dreadlocks, and I have had to change salons on two occassions because the people were over-twisting my hair and using too much fatty ointment (talking and talking did not help, they still knew what was 'best'.)
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by kemmeye: 9:05pm On Aug 16, 2011
lol as a kid they put my head between their legs omg thinking about it just makes me want to puke and some other crap like pulling ur head to another position when you try to look at something could u pls just tell me nicely and the one with the cutting comb was a regular so i decided to cut my hair and i just do twistouts myself. smiley smiley
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Nobody: 10:45am On Aug 17, 2011
Inked_Nerd:

Smh, that reminds me of when my sister went to arovide bad service like that?! tongue

I thought you took a break from NL undecided
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Abuloma80(f): 10:28am On Aug 19, 2011
smelly armpit as they stretch hands to wash ur hair angry angry angry angry
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by InkedNerd(f): 5:43pm On Aug 19, 2011
blink182:

I thought you took a break from NL undecided

Yeah, I did but now my summer classes are done so I've been back for a while. I just haven't been posting in the romance or sexuality section. When I'm ready to come back to those sections, you'll know grin
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Nobody: 7:19pm On Aug 22, 2011
^^^
grin grin grin ACTUALLY came looking for you on behalf of someone else. Good to know you are back though
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Iranoladun(f): 5:57pm On Aug 23, 2011
@topic

SO many, let me list the major ones:
1. Using very dirty towels that look like rags
2. Using the same combs for so many customer hair without sterilization
3. Hanging the comb they are using for my hair in their own hair or using my comb to scratch their hair
4. Gisting/gossiping while doing my hair
5. Scrubbing my hair like jeans when washing
6. Telling me that I should tell them to come and wash the relaxer out of my hair only when my scalp is 'burning' and not following the prescribed timing
7. Combing and plastering my hair with relaxer (both new growth and old relaxed hair)
8. Using Shea butter on my hair without asking me if I want it or not (I cannt stand Shea butter smell)
9. Pulling my hair/head when they want a particular position instead of asking me
10. Putting me under the dryer and forgetting until I have to shout/look for the Stylist
11. Practically begging for a Stylist to wash my hair/weave my hair in preparation for fixing of weaveon(my reason for Divorcing Downtown Salon)
12. Begging and expecting a tip without offering me a delightful service
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Akan01: 7:35am On Apr 05, 2013
TheBBF: The thing that annoys me the most with my hair dresser is: When I bring a new treatment to try she does exactly what the instructions say not to do. Eg. Strengthening treatment says apply to hair and DO NOT COMB, rinse out after 10 minutes. Why does she then proceed to try and comb my hair? angry. She will now argue with me and say that the treatment "won't enter" if she doesn't comb it . you would think that the person who that wrote the instructions was daft. It drives me nuts how sometimes they just don't listen.
I'm a male stylist.I read all ur different stories about different hairdressers and I quite agree with u all.like u all said,d proffession has been negleted and abandoned in the hands of illiterates who doesn't even understand what the essence of the job is.I want to tell u that we are not the same every were.some or most of us are read but ds has been a part of us for quite a long time so letting it go it's difficult.I love to make hair and I have been doing that since age 7yrs old.I've worked in various salons also and I know the way things are done.most of these problems are associated with the local salons.some big salons too are guilty of it.for more about me,u can mail me back on odukanaakanodukana@yahoo.com.hope to hear from u
Re: What Do Hair Dressers Do That Really Annoy You? by Akan01: 7:58am On Apr 05, 2013
Iranoladun: @topic

SO many, let me list the major ones:
1. Using very dirty towels that look like rags
2. Using the same combs for so many customer hair without sterilization
3. Hanging the comb they are using for my hair in their own hair or using my comb to scratch their hair
4. Gisting/gossiping while doing my hair
5. Scrubbing my hair like jeans when washing
6. Telling me that I should tell them to come and wash the relaxer out of my hair only when my scalp is 'burning' and not following the prescribed timing
7. Combing and plastering my hair with relaxer (both new growth and old relaxed hair)
8. Using Shea butter on my hair without asking me if I want it or not (I cannt stand Shea butter smell)
9. Pulling my hair/head when they want a particular position instead of asking me
10. Putting me under the dryer and forgetting until I have to shout/look for the Stylist
11. Practically begging for a Stylist to wash my hair/weave my hair in preparation for fixing of weaveon(my reason for Divorcing Downtown Salon)
12. Begging and expecting a tip without offering me a delightful service
No 1-12,I agree with u on all but another thing u must reconsider,shear butter is good for the hair especially wit our so dry and harsh weather.best done every once in a month and u deep condition afterwards.shear butter comes in two types.the very raw ones which smells a lot and the already treated ones which looks clearer in colour.best done before ur hair is washed,apply,dnt comb,wrap up,tape around ur hair line cos it will surely when u sit under d hair dryer which is compulsory u do,temperature 25-35degrees,15-20 mins max is enough to sit wit it afterwards wash ur hair with a proper shampoo 3times,rinse thouroughly and apply ur deep conditioner and cover wit a plastic cap and sit under d hair steamer for another 25-30mins nd rinse nd style.ur hair is as good as a brazillian weave.another issue wit nigerian stylist is they make use of too much hair oil thereby making d hair limp once u sweat a little or b,4 u even walk out d salon.our weather is hot,we need less oil for our hair though it's important we apply once a day.if u have ur weave on or braids,there are some leave in conditioners sprays u can use to keep ur scalp moist,dandruff free and ur hair strenghtened too.men also need to oil their hair every once a day no matter how bald u are.lol

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Please Who Has Used This Facial Cream Called "Carovate" / Reccomendable To Flat Iron Natural Hair? / Looking For A Modeling Agency In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.