Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,728 members, 7,805,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? (17939 Views)

Headies Award 2018 Winners Full List / Next Rated Award Winners At The Headies Since 2006 / The Headies Awards 2018, 12th Edition (Full List Of Nominees) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by EntPublisher001: 11:13am On Aug 08, 2022
Nigerians Woke up on the 26th of July to meet an announcement from The Headies Award stating their Disqualification of Nigerian Singer Portable from all Nominated Categories in the forthcoming Award Ceremony: the Headies 2022 scheduled to hold on 4th September. The news made the headline and trend for a few days and the Nigerian Music Listeners were divided between those who support the Disqualification of Portable by the Award organizers and those who don't. TrendyBeatz, as an unbiased platform, analyzes the disqualification and why it might be unfair in this article.

Habeeb Okikiola, popularly known as Portable and whom the streets adore as Omo Olalomi, came into the music limelight last December after one of his videos went viral. It was the perfect time when the street sounds needed a street music evangelist to reboot the wobey sound that has suffered a decline after the emergence of the afro-pop new generation of artists.

The video garnered massive acceptance and the lingua laced with the song "Zazoo Zeh" became the new slang. He enjoyed fame to the point that Olamide Badoo, whom the industry knows as the voice of the street collaborated with him, alongside Poco Lee. And ever since then, he has been the subject of virality - always in the news.

If portable isn't on the road creating scenes, he's somewhere behind his camera creating videos on Instagram throwing abusive words in Yoruba laced with curses and with the usual word standing out - "Akoi" (whatever that means)

Portable And Headies Disqualification Saga: The Backstory

Recall that on May 24, Portable bagged two nominations in two categories for the Headies Awards. One of them is the Rookie Of The Year category, in which are also nominated Fave, Ugoccie, AV, and Magixx. The other nomination is the Best Street Hop Artiste category, alongside the likes of Bella Shmurda, Mohbad, Naira Marley, etc.

Unfortunately, the usual Portable drama series got another plot twist on Tuesday when his usual antics of controversy took its toll on him. Earlier before the plot twist, Portable had received a public warning message from Headies to retract a statement he made after he released a controversial video on May 28. In the video making rounds on social media, Portable was seen uttering death-threatening words at his co-nominees, the singer said: “Those are my awards, anybody else who wins I will ask for them to be killed. I will ask them to kill the person. If the organizers give my award to someone else, they will die,” he said in Yoruba. “No go give my award to another person, he go die o.”

Immediately, Portable quickly released another video of him apologizing to Smooth Productions, the organizers of the Headies Awards, refuting everything he said and also acclaiming his craziness. He said: “Headies don nominate “madman” olorin. Streets ti take over. So make una give us our award o.

“No vex, bros! Bros, no vex! If I f*ck up, no be me first dey f*ck up. Plenty people don dey f*ck up. Abeg, I wan collect my award.”
It didn't stop there. Recently, Portable released another video of him shouting with all confidence that he established the notorious vicious gang, popularly known as "One million Boys". The video triggered a lot of online reactions and also made the Inspector General of Police, Usman Baba, order the Lagos police commissioner, Abiodun Alabi, to investigate Portable’s claim of being the leader of the two vicious gangs, and to take necessary legal actions on his claim.

Sometimes in June, a video also showed him and some of his guys seemingly assaulting a man called DJ Chicken. This scene was recorded somewhere in the Ilogbo area of Ogun State. This also got the state police’s attention. On June 20, Portable was ordered to turn himself in at the nearest police station which he complied with and was interrogated, then released on bail.

Headies Resolution: A Right Decision?

After the accumulations of all Portable's drama and controversial behaviors, The Headies finally announced that they have disqualified the singer from the categories in which he was nominated for the 15th Headies Awards scheduled to take place in Atlanta this September.

Just after the news of the final resolution by the most reputable and biggest global awards for Afrobeat Music in Africa, The Headies, the news sparked a lot of discussions and reactions online about how the resolution is the best and how it's not.
The Unpopular Opinion: Is It Not The Right Decision? One good thing to note is that, while this looks like a good move, Headies Award criteria, however, have never stated anywhere near the requirements that good character off the mic, is also a prerequisite for the honors. And if we are taking a moral stand now, and not separating the art from the artist, then fairness should swing the hammer fairly.

If we look across the nominations list. Are those people on the lists all saints and angels? Sugar, spice, and everything nice? A real salt of the earth collective?

Award shows like The Headies should not be gatekeepers of morality. The job is to cast shiny trophies and hand them over to people who have shown artistic distinction. A music award show.

A platform to celebrate artistic brilliance and not a moral tool for censoring behavior.

However, a second thought on the matter says otherwise: If such acts displayed incessantly by Portable are indulged, will it not be a bad representation of the value culture in the music industry? A bad influence on the little ones?

Do you think that's the best punishment for Portable's waywardness? Or do you think instead of punishing him with disqualification, he should be banned from traveling to the United States with the team to attend the award ceremony? Thereby, reprimanding the artist instead of the art.

What are your thoughts?

Source: TrendyBeatz

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by EntPublisher001: 11:13am On Aug 08, 2022
Its really unfair embarassed

10 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by foolotu: 4:48pm On Aug 08, 2022
Na dem get the final say

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Rik500k(m): 4:48pm On Aug 08, 2022
Look at the economy, it's not time for romance.

Headiest and Bbn organizers already know the winners of each edition okay

6 Likes

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Stomoney(m): 4:48pm On Aug 08, 2022
He don tey wey I don remove my hands on anything relating portable matter.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by illicit(m): 4:48pm On Aug 08, 2022
He didn't see it as sport

He called it war and all is fair in war

5 Likes

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Femifasola: 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2022
It's 100% fair. The miscreant should go and take several seats

58 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by FREEMADNESS: 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2022
His nomination at first shows how useless our headies award have become.

Who b portable to even collect nomination

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Freelane33(m): 4:49pm On Aug 08, 2022
Nawa to Una
Upon everything we Dey go on for this country ,
Una still Dey remember Headies award

1 Like

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by AbuAeesha: 4:50pm On Aug 08, 2022
how could it be unfair.
the guy is total nuisance.
even in the midst of nuisances he is worst.

76 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by eskuvoisrael(m): 4:50pm On Aug 08, 2022
Its unfair the guy is just an entertainer

2 Likes

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by GloriousGbola: 4:50pm On Aug 08, 2022
I like his energy and his dgaf attitude , but he is fadt becoming like Elon Musk, perceptually in the news for the wrong reasons

1 Like

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by gassbee: 4:50pm On Aug 08, 2022
what is d founder of one million boys doing at the Headies

40 Likes 1 Share

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Cutehector(m): 4:50pm On Aug 08, 2022
He talks too much. Acts like an agbero

38 Likes

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by pek(m): 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2022
To even make his disqualification a subject of discussion shows how morally low we have sank as a nation.

55 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Kingcalls: 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2022
Stop promoting miscreants... he should not even be recognised in the first place... we should stop rewarding bad attitude.... rewarding olu maintains yahoo song and Kelly handsome increased the number of yahoo boys and it gave birth to people like hishpuppy .... Nice song " pass me the ganjer " influenced alot of youths into doing hard drugs ... Naira marley , Zlatan...these miscreants just promote bad behaviour thats destroying our society... dont forget people like Tiwa savages koloba that promotes prostitution... but portable tops it all with his very bad behaviour outside music

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Akinsete19(m): 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2022
Exactly
Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by sucess001(m): 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2022
Whoever wrote this article needs a brain check.

Morality is disqualifying someone for threatening to kill?

Some of y'all need a brain scan.

Shebi you see serious country arresting Kizz Daniel for skipping concert? Try to do what portable does in serious countries.

Nonsense

42 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Corto: 4:51pm On Aug 08, 2022
Truth

Sanwo-Bola is just a junkie-flunkie fronting for the most famous drug addict in recent history.

1 Like

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Hezmatosky: 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2022
You no know say people dey wey get Nigeria? They can even come your house adopt you and pay your money to your father he won't say nor do anything. You see? Na Those kin people portable go step on their toes so kiss
Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Toneypen247(m): 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2022
He who fails to learn from his mistakes needs medical attention.

kindly check my signature below for your Academic research service.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Konjiboii: 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2022
Which one is possibly unfair undecided

1 Like

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by IgweBUIKE1(m): 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2022
Very very very very very very fairrrrrrr

7 Likes

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by pinkyruledworld(m): 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2022
WosWobi
Dont really know what to say but why carry a Nigerian award ceremony to Atlanta?

2 Likes

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Holluwatarhyor(m): 4:52pm On Aug 08, 2022
How is it unfair,why do we like acting or judging with sentiments....
That is the reason why the rich keep getting away with everything in Nigeria,so he is licenced to do anyhow because he's rich,abi what's your point exactly..

4 Likes

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Donkenny511(m): 4:53pm On Aug 08, 2022
Portable's disqualification can be seen in two ways.

1. He's the scape goat that headies want to use to cleanse all the artist non challant behavior. People like Olamide who curses on their stage and Naira Marley who was arrested of fraud by EFCC. Maybe Headies feels all this need to stop.

2. The show is happening abroad, Headies may be afraid of Portable's behavior and may want to distance self from this. No brand want to associate with somebody who you are not sure of what they can do or say at any point in time.

I can't risk it too

USA is too far to tolerate rubbish

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by Hezmatosky: 4:53pm On Aug 08, 2022
pek:
To even make his disqualification a subject of discussion shows how morally low we have sank as a nation.
You don chop since morning so?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Headies Disqualification Of Portable Is Possibly Unfair, Do You Agree? by blaquemyc: 4:54pm On Aug 08, 2022
I don't have anything reasonable to comment, i don't even know what i'm doing here. Maybe the spirit of Portable don enter me. Someone should please help me cast and bind it.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Who Is The Best Nigerian Rapper? / Download A Thousand Years Sheet Music By Christina Perri / Yoruba People, What Is The Meaning Of "Gbesoke" And "Komole"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.