Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,463 members, 7,808,644 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:48 PM

Ruby Programmers And Programming - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Ruby Programmers And Programming (5151 Views)

What Is The Place Of Python, Ruby Programmers In Nigeria / Why I Love Ruby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ruby Programmers And Programming by iGravity(m): 9:29pm On Aug 03, 2011
Most talk on this programming section is in Java, Javascript or PHP. As most of the serious involved users here are web and software developers, I am shocked that only a few have mentioned Ruby. This is an unfortunate oversight. I think it's about time we respecognize one of the more eloquent languages in software development.

Ruby is object-oriented, (meaning you can have all the goodness of classes and stuff), loosely typed (variable types are not defined but determined during runtime) and interpreted (the code is parsed as opposed to being compiled. The list explainign Ruby grew big in no time so I curtailed it to this few.

Ruby is gaining speed fast in the development world. With frameworks such as Ruby on Rails and Sinatra, Ruby is owning web development. The Compass framework built on SASS and Ruby makes it possible for you to script CSS (basically, you can write CSS like you write any other programming language - I think this is pretty awesome) winning the hearts of designers too. Ruby was not intended for desktop applications but the new Shoes Framework has made this possible. Mac developers may notice that Objective-C/Cocoa has a coarse syntax. RubyCocoa was developed to make life easier; and more so, MacRuby, which even simplified RubyCocoa. Last but not least, "Ruby" is a precious stone; and best believe everyone wants her for themselves. That's why there are different versions of Ruby (typically known as different 'rubies'). MacRuby is one of them. But the reason I brought this up is to introduce jRuby (which gives you an interface to Java classes and the JVM) and IronRuby (which is for development on Windows and interfaces with different Microsoft .NET technologies); and that's just two of them.

If you,
    - want to learn Ruby,
    - have some code you need reviewed or refactored,
    - need a solution to any problem in programming that requires snippets of code,
    - want to be up to speed with what's going on in the Ruby community,
    - or even if you want to write a letter to your girl which she can both read and execute (chmod 555 ./love_letter.rb - trust me I have done that)
drop by and drop a message
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Fayimora(m): 10:24pm On Aug 03, 2011
[size=15pt]Good point. I personally program in ruby and work on rails too. But trust me, not more than 3 people would take this post serious. Want to know why? I have come to notice that most people have this motto which is "If it wont bring money to the table then forget it". For me I dnt give a damn about the money for now so am always open. I have looked at a couple of Nigerian jobs and trust me its either java, .Net C/C++ for soft dev and when it comes to web dev is PHP all the way, then you have .Net in some cases.

Learning Ruby ain't no problem. Working with Ruby/Rails ain't no problem. The problem is who wants it. To be honest, I think this is something that should be directed towards the so called "employers" that aren't ready to grow. I might be wrong but this is how i see this:

You design a system for some company in ruby, you get paid and all that crap. Now when its time for maintenance, they employ up to 20 developers(one after the other) and also fire them. Why? because you can hardly find a good Ruby developer. Now the company gets pissed and asks you to maintain it. You know you cant cause its gonna slow your other jobs down so you now have to re-write the whole system in an acceptable lang, say Java. How would you feel? sad Too bad init?

Funny enough this isin't something that happens in Nigeria alone but I  think its very common. You must use a widely accepted language and lets face it, Ruby ain't.

Look at this stats as of now(when am writing this reply). Note that its worldwide.
On stack overflow, there are 145, 538 tags for Java, 133,983 for PHP, 45,571 for Rails and 11,789 for Ruby. You seeing what am saying now?

EDIT:
Oh and yeah, the OP ain't jokin. Ruby is some badass lang like Perl. cheesy
[/size]
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by iGravity(m): 11:41pm On Aug 03, 2011
True say. java has been there longer and is an enterprise language. But you mentioned something of interest here - maintenance. Most Java code needs recurrent maintenance and if you have every created a web service in Java, you know it is a pain in the rectum. Do we, as young and upcoming developers, make the mistakes older developers make and continue to make by sticking to their patterns and preferences because it been there for longer? Going back to the web service example, OSGI and JBMI stuff for Java just doesn't cut it - to add a new function, you may have o develop a new product (I know this is blowing stuff out of proportion but it's true). SOAP is outdated, REST is better. Try implementing REST in Java and watch how the slug size of your web service will skyrocket. I am against having a compiled language serve up web files. Imagine if HTML and CSS were compiled languages and you had to link up the executables before putting them online; then hoping to two crossed fingers that your end users have the right version of software to run it. That is Java.

The same goes for many .NET technologies. Microsoft makes them visually appealing and this is good for developers who want to develop just to say "hey, I made this". When you find yourself wanting to tweak the framework to cater to your app, well, I guess only experience will show you what I mean. I was excited to hear about the Web Matrix framework. Amazing stuff Microsoft engineers did to hook it up with Azure for easy deployment. But everything is prefixed and rigid. I know this may sound like Rails a bit but one has not developed in rails until the bul of your code is in rake tasks, cron jobs and self-made or fine-tuned libraries.

These technologies are there and have been tested. But there is a reason everyone is adopting Ruby into their frameworks.

Also, the singular fact that Ruby on Rails is on the list makes it a senior man. Rails is a framework not a language - as you are well aware. Comparing Rails to Yii, well we both know the outcome.

Ruby is the future, boss. But people resilient when it comes to change. Still, I will educate Ruby into the 9ja community.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Fayimora(m): 1:23am On Aug 04, 2011
[size=15pt]I don't have hope in Ruby being the future, my bet is on Java but Rails stands a very high chance, [/size]
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Mobinga: 1:32am On Aug 04, 2011
PHP > Ruby.
Everything Ruby can do. . . . PHP can do better

Which future? cheesy Go and learn R or Logo.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Fayimora(m): 1:38am On Aug 04, 2011
Mobinga:

PHP > Ruby.
Everything Ruby can do. . . . PHP can do better
[size=15pt]Lol you don't wanna say that man. Theres a lot to ruby.

[/size]
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Nobody: 2:14am On Aug 04, 2011
Here we go again: the ubiquitous sand gratuitous NL's ever annoying my d[/i]ick is bigger than your [i]di[/i]ck thread. Anyway, since I am a complete idio[i]t when it comes to web-speak, I will try not to make a complete fool out of myself. The things I always consider when choosing a language are not elegance(the end customers don't praise you for having beautiful code) not esoteric appeal(hey, look at me I am one of the few gurus who can write a custom server in Haskell), or even bragging rights but effectiveness, speed, portability, data structures, and stability.

Even though I know C# and Java, I cannot give an unbiased comparison since I know Java way better than C#, and when it comes to any language against my beloved almighty C++, I will alway be up in arms, unless, of course, we are talking about web development technologies, in which case, I respectfully shut my mouth. Most folks who say this is better than that or this is superior to this, for the most part, do not have an almost equal level of expertise in those languages. They tend to be better at one particular language, and almost inevitably, they are quick to sing the praise of their language while putting others down. I understand that the OP is pitching his favorite web development language, and there is nothing wrong in doing that. I know that saying that Ruby is the future, that Ruby is the boss is his opinion, still, such proclamations do not sit well with me. I never make such statements.

I pride myself as an averagely good programmer. I hate when someone tells me that some language is going to make my life better. I hate that. Oh, omo_to_dun, why not use language ABCD, it is beautiful. To which I will happily reply, "[i]F[/i]uck ABCD." NA beautiful I go chop. Why not use language ABDC, it has an automatic garbage collector. Well, that is a dumb reason to give a programmer like me because I deal with real time systems and the low level C languages, including C++/Obj-C, are the way to go, for now at least.

I'd love to go into web programming, but I think, my wonderful pre-web 2.0 HTML knowledge should be enough for now. Please don't laugh.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by iGravity(m): 6:03pm On Aug 04, 2011
Fayimora:

[size=15pt]I don't have hope in Ruby being the future, my bet is on Java but Rails stands a very high chance, [/size]

How can Rails stand a high chance without Ruby? Na wah for you o. It's like saying Yii is the future but PHP no be am.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Fayimora(m): 6:08pm On Aug 04, 2011
[size=15pt]Hey man dont forget everyone is moving into web development for some annoying reasons. You don't have to know much Ruby to work with Rails. You should know that. I know someone that is a Boss when it comes to rails but trust me, he ain't that good when it comes to Ruby.[/size]
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by iGravity(m): 6:47pm On Aug 04, 2011
True say.

Ruby is built on C. And coming from a C background, Ruby is a breadth of fresh air. Obviously Ruby is not even half as good in doing what C does - like for example, creating itself. But for the high-level OO ish, Ruby get small muscle. Languages are good for what they are good for. We all know that Java is good for software and sucks for web. Erlang is amazing for social sites and sucks for OS dev. And some other examples

I am also a learner as well as a developer in Ruby.

Consider the statements in my first post before you spearhead into conclusions
- it's "an unfortunate oversight"
- "Ruby is gaining speed . . ."
- Ruby is "one of the more eloquent languages" - not the most eloquent.

And the reason I said 'eloquent' is cos Ruby provides that English feel to programming. Consider metaprogramming - the art of defining your classes at runtime (or as I define it, "programming your programming"wink. Metaprogramming started with Lisp so I am by no means giving Ruby credit but Ruby, so far, does this in the most concise and human readable way. But obviously some people may not care cos this is one of the higher technicalities of programming. But comparing this to Java, . . . (blanked out for a second there) comparing this to Java . . . let's just say Java "talk too much to do so little". Checkout this dude's testimony.

I don't know where I said Ruby is the greatest. Well, not yet (:

Again, it boils down to preference as @omo_to_dun said. I just wanna make 9ja peeps aware of Ruby. Maybe by seeing how easy Ruby makes programming, we would draw a lot more genius minds into the field.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by iGravity(m): 7:01pm On Aug 04, 2011
Fayimora:

[size=15pt]Hey man dont forget everyone is moving into web development for some annoying reasons. You don't have to know much Ruby to work with Rails. You should know that. I know someone that is a Boss when it comes to rails but trust me, he ain't that good when it comes to Ruby.[/size]

I know you can get on Rails without knowing Ruby. But you will be stuck on doing what the tutorials expose you to. This is how I started btw so I am by no means underestimating those who develop Rails without Ruby knowledge.

& @omo_to_dun, yes consumers do not care if you have the worst or cleanest code. And if that's your market, then by all means feel free to freestyle with programming. But
- when one starts collaborations on projects, there are some standards that need to be met
- when one needs to maintain software, simplicity of code is desired
- when one starts creating softwares that have high traffic (services, not just products) the programming language and its inner workings become things of interest to even the most dumb programmer on the team.

MySQL is tried and tested. Everyone knows this. It's also free and open source - brilliant! Yet, Facebook seeks to drop or modify this to suit its needs. There is a reason they are looking for beter technology in programming. If and when I introduced NoSQL databases, I hope I would have audience.

Let's say I am tired of hearing the "Nigerians are backward in software" comment. And upgrading myself will only, well, upgrade myself. I seek to extend the knowledge to my fellow Nigerians. And what better way to do it than on the largest Nigerian forum online.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 04, 2011
iGravity:

I know you can get on Rails without knowing Ruby. But you will be stuck on doing what the tutorials expose you to. This is how I started btw so I am by no means underestimating those who develop Rails without Ruby knowledge.

& @omo_to_dun, yes consumers do not care if you have the worst or cleanest code. And if that's your market, then by all means feel free to freestyle with programming. But
- when one starts collaborations on projects, there are some standards that need to be met
- when one needs to maintain software, simplicity of code is desired
- when one starts creating softwares that have high traffic (services, not just products) the programming language and its inner workings become things of interest to even the most dumb programmer on the team.
Then it has more to do with the programmer than the language. A language is not inherently simple or beautiful, it is all about the programmer. So to extol the simplicity or beauty of some language over others is nonsensical. I have seen bad codes in almost every language. The greatest project in the open source community, Linux, has tons of unreadable and ugly codes. It is far from simple. I have heard no one complaining. What we care about is the function. If I am working on a team and we have a specification, of course, I'll adhere to it, that goes without saying.

Facebook recently reached a point where PHP couldn't gracefully scale anymore, so what did they do? They re-wrote parts of it and called it HipHop-PHP. Speed and functionality, not beauty or even simplicity. I do not freestyle with programming. I use tools that get the job done, not parade some language as the next best thing since slice bread. After all said and done, Facebook uses PHP, Wikipedia uses PHP, most CMS systems were built in PHP. I would trust those guys more than anyone else since the amount of data they process is so much more than what the average webmaster will ever see in his or her lifetime.

There was a time when a similar argument cropped up(atually from time to time, this argument always crops up), and I named a lot of programs written in C/C++. As it turns out, C/C++ are the languages used to build more than 90% of all the applications on your system from your Operating System to your browser, server, games, word processors, email clients, and so many others. Folks were hard-pressed to name even one popular program that was written in some other language. Of course, I knew about these other programs but it seemed to me that folks are always more concerned about the language that they loved the most than its actual usage in the world. As a game programmer, I cannot write a serious game in Java, simply because Java doesn't have the tools I need, and portability is not something that is important since most games are on Windows. Ergo, I have to learn Win32 programming OpenGL or DirectX. It is almost inevitable.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Lokoyen(m): 2:17pm On Aug 07, 2011
programmers pls encourage we up coming programmer, for me i dont know dis ruby am hearing it for d first time, i want to be a programmer meaning am starting afresh but i need to choose which programming language will suit a person like who is never a computer science student but i can make use of a computer very well, programmers pls encourage we up coming programmer, for me i dont know dis ruby am hearing it for d first time, i want to be a programmer meaning am starting afresh but i need to choose which programming language will suit a person like who is never a computer science student but i can make use of a computer very well,
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by netghost: 6:10pm On Aug 07, 2011
omo_to_dun:

[size=12pt][font=Courier New]Then it has more to do with the programmer than the language. A language is not inherently simple or beautiful, it is all about the programmer

GBAM !!!!
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Mobinga: 2:51am On Aug 08, 2011
Does Ruby have some sort of easy to install ware, like wamp, xamp, e.t.c I wan't to check it out
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Fayimora(m): 3:43am On Aug 08, 2011
Errm Ruby is the programming language so if you don't already have it installed then you just install it. Just same way you use Perl. Have a look at http://www.ruby-lang.com. Ruby on Rails is a web development framework built in Ruby and you also have to install that(rails) aswell. It listens to port 3000 but instead of saying crap here would advise you have a look at the official site too, http://rubyonrails.org/
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by ektbear: 10:04am On Aug 11, 2011
I really like Ruby. Very well-designed language. I got into it from Rails first. But Ruby is pretty cool by itself, imo.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by iGravity(m): 10:38am On Aug 15, 2011
Lokoyen:

programmers pls encourage we up coming programmer, for me i dont know dis ruby am hearing it for d first time, i want to be a programmer meaning am starting afresh but i need to choose which programming language will suit a person like who is never a computer science student but i can make use of a computer very well

Ruby is simple and easy to learn. If you start with this, you can get up and go in no time. The chances of you running into an error which you have to google for are less in Ruby compared to C. Enjoy.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by iGravity(m): 10:39am On Aug 15, 2011
ekt_bear:

I really like Ruby. Very well-designed language. I got into it from Rails first. But Ruby is pretty cool by itself, imo.

@ekt_bear thank you my brother. do you have a github account? we can get together there and work on some minor projects. who knows, they may become major.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by iGravity(m): 10:46am On Aug 15, 2011
Mobinga:

Does Ruby have some sort of easy to install ware, like wamp, xamp, e.t.c I wan't to check it out

Normally, to install ruby, you can download it from the Ruby website.

If you are on Windows, there is also a way to install Ruby on a Windows Machine.

If you are on Linux, look into the Synaptic Package manager. There are packages for Ruby 1.8 and Ruby 1.9

If you are on a Mac, there is a provision for a sandbox functionality in installing Ruby. Meaning your apps can use different versions of Ruby and different Rubies -- as I pointed out in my first post -- for development. The sandboxing tool is known as Ruby Version Manager a.k.a RVM.

Enjoy

1 Like

Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by GWslim(f): 6:03pm On Nov 28, 2011
Let leave the business of computer to the programmer.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by ektbear: 6:16pm On Nov 28, 2011
iGravity:

@ekt_bear thank you my brother. do you have a github account? we can get together there and work on some minor projects. who knows, they may become major.

Dunno how I missed this post of yours. Get in touch we me if you are still interested. I have more ideas for small interesting things than I have time, so would definitely love to have collaborators.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Nobody: 6:44pm On Nov 28, 2011
omo_to_dun:

Here we go again: the ubiquitous sand gratuitous NL's ever annoying my d[/i]ick is bigger than your [i]di[/i]ck thread. Anyway, since I am a complete idio[i]t when it comes to web-speak, I will try not to make a complete fool out of myself. The things I always consider when choosing a language are not elegance(the end customers don't praise you for having beautiful code) not esoteric appeal(hey, look at me I am one of the few gurus who can write a custom server in Haskell), or even bragging rights but effectiveness, speed, portability, data structures, and stability.

Even though I know C# and Java, I cannot give an unbiased comparison since I know Java way better than C#, and when it comes to any language against my beloved almighty C++, I will alway be up in arms, unless, of course, we are talking about web development technologies, in which case, I respectfully shut my mouth. Most folks who say this is better than that or this is superior to this, for the most part, do not have an almost equal level of expertise in those languages. They tend to be better at one particular language, and almost inevitably, they are quick to sing the praise of their language while putting others down. I understand that the OP is pitching his favorite web development language, and there is nothing wrong in doing that. I know that saying that Ruby is the future, that Ruby is the boss is his opinion, still, such proclamations do not sit well with me. I never make such statements.

I pride myself as an averagely good programmer. I hate when someone tells me that some language is going to make my life better. I hate that. Oh, omo_to_dun, why not use language ABCD, it is beautiful. To which I will happily reply, "[i]F[/i]uck ABCD." NA beautiful I go chop. Why not use language ABDC, it has an automatic garbage collector. Well, that is a dumb reason to give a programmer like me because I deal with real time systems and the low level C languages, including C++/Obj-C, are the way to go, for now at least.

I'd love to go into web programming, but I think, my wonderful pre-web 2.0 HTML knowledge should be enough for now. Please don't laugh.

you nailed it
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by candylips(m): 8:37pm On Nov 28, 2011
has anyone of you heard about polyglot programming . . . .
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by x3da(m): 8:52pm On Nov 28, 2011
Hi i'd like to learn Ruby[color=#000099][/color] smiley
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 9:39pm On Nov 28, 2011
Me too
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by ektbear: 9:54pm On Nov 28, 2011
I spent about 30 seconds googling and found a link for the Ruby 1.9 book:

http://harmaty.net/files/ruby_books/

enjoy
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Fayimora(m): 12:03am On Nov 29, 2011
Those books are quite old tho, Try Beginning Ruby by Peter Cooper. I have both pdf and epub if anyone needs it,
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by ektbear: 3:21am On Nov 29, 2011
book from 2009 old?

books don't fall out of usefulness that quickly
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Nobody: 7:05am On Nov 29, 2011
I can program in almost up to 20 programming languages - and i am above average in all of them, but the one that brings money to the table, internet subscription, weekends and everything na PHP.
Now, i can learn Ruby or anything - it is all the same - but omo boy, if you are an upcoming programmer - abeg learn PHP first, before you learn ruby.

I had this funny experience when i moved from software programming to website development. Because i have a good background of Visual Basic, so i learnt the old-school ASP (not asp.net) - this was far back around 1999/2000. Installed IIS and all that.
To my surprise, when i strolled out into the market - it was PERL (Practical Extraction and Report Language) - a very stooopid language for someone that does not like C/C++. Well, i learnt c/c++ and perl, by the time i was ready to start making mouth with perl - PHP don hit market.
So i grab PHP quickly and have been stable with it, and have done much with it - those were before the days of all them cms and frameworks.

So in the end, it boils down to what you are aiming for - if you want to write a beautiful language - or you want to earn money quickly. I am not asking anyone to copy me, i am just trying to share my experience with the newbie programmers (who are always jumping from one language to another).
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Nobody: 7:46am On Nov 29, 2011
All talk and no show. Some people dey claim they know more than a million languages . YET none of you have come out with any substantial software. Make una dey deceive una sef there.

Na so so mouth.
Re: Ruby Programmers And Programming by Nobody: 8:37am On Nov 29, 2011
^^^If you are refering to me. Notice i said i deal exclusively with PHP. Unlike some developers - i document my work and my scripts - you can take a look at my website - www..net - notice it is a portal that features a lot of things. Dont forget to look at my blog too - www.blogs..net
Lastly, search google - just type "" into google - i will not say anything beyond that (i will skip out the most significant - my contributions to the webmasters section).

I am not showing off with knowing a lot of languages (even spoken languages - i speak and write in more than 1 international language - not counting English).
The koko thing in programming is to find a corner for yourself - even if all you sabi na joomla. I know people that use only Joomla and they make far more money than me. If you are looking for money, you should specialize in one hot language - and make a living out of it.

My programming teacher specialized in vb 6.0 - and till date he is still making a good living out of it (contrary to what many believe) - but for newbies, i advise vb.net

@The ruby boys, i have read a number of reviews comparing Ruby with PHP, i will learn it eventually.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kogi Chief Of Staff, Pharm. Asuku To Train 200 Youths On Web Programming, ICT / Do Not Disturb A Programmer / Do you Need A Very Cheap Hosting For A Small Web Project? Just 2k

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.