Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,218 members, 7,807,745 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister (6234 Views)

Beverly Osu Strips To Celebrate Task Victory On Big Brother Africa / Nigeria's Karen And Zimbabwe's Wendall Are The Winners Of Big Brother Amplified / Big Brother Africa (BBA) - Karen Igho On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by jellyloveb(f): 10:48pm On Aug 03, 2011
The Minister of Youth Development, Malam Bolaji Abdullahi, has called on Nigerian youths to be selfless, enterprising and determined in whatever they are doing.

He gave the advice yesterday in Abuja while congratulating Miss Karen Igho for emerging the joint winner of the Big Brother Africa show sponsored by South African cable channel MNet/DSTV.

Nigeria's Karen and Zimbabwe's Wendell got the $200,000 (N30 million) prize each after emerging as joint winners of the reality show which lasted 91 days and featured 26 contestants from across Africa. Karen however had more votes than Wendell.

While praising the winner for making Nigeria proud, Abdullahi stated that her selflessness, enterprise, creativity and team spirit in the Big Brother House were not surprising as these are common attributes of the Nigerian youth.

He further explained that Karen's story of overcoming great barriers on the road to success and fame resonate with many young Nigerians who in spite of great odds achieve great triumphs.

He noted that "the fact that Karen is the third Nigerian to win the Big Brother prize in a row also attests to the resilience of Nigerian youth and their popularity among their peers in Africa. Karen's victory will no doubt inspire many young Nigerians to pursue their dreams, and not to give up in the face of adversity."
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by Nobody: 4:12pm On Aug 04, 2011
Success has many friends while failure is a loner.
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by blackmann(m): 4:49pm On Aug 04, 2011
Please correct me if i'm wrong, but is living in a house with XX number of housemates for a certain number of months, doing wierd tasks daily, considered an achievement?
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by cinzo: 4:50pm On Aug 04, 2011
@BLACKMAN, WHEN YOU HAVE 30MILLION TO SPEND IT IS CONSIDERED AN ACHIEVEMENT grin
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by Delafruita(m): 4:53pm On Aug 04, 2011
Mr minister,how does winning a dumbass reality show in which contestants have to scheme,backstab,display a high level of stupidity and lack of morals be an inspiration to me?
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by cinzo: 4:55pm On Aug 04, 2011
Delafruita:

Mr minister,how does winning a dumbass reality show in which contestants have to scheme,backstab,display a high level of stupidity and lack of morals be an inspiration to me?

YOU DON'T GET IT WINNING THE MONEY IS THE INSPIRATION grin
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by femmy2010(m): 4:57pm On Aug 04, 2011
blackmann:

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but is living in a house with XX number of housemates for a certain number of months, doing wierd tasks daily, considered an achievement?

I wonder oo.
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by blackmann(m): 5:07pm On Aug 04, 2011
cinzo:

@BLACKMAN, WHEN YOU HAVE 30MILLION TO SPEND IT IS CONSIDERED AN ACHIEVEMENT grin

[b]So winning money from a dumbass reality show is now an achievement? What about those that make millions from their inventions? If he is so myopic, maybe he should travel round the world and see what achievement is. To me an achievement is constructing things like solar-powered cars, Robots, Vehicles that can be used on the surface of the moon(all these done by undergraduates as their projects, mind you), carrying out research to develop cures for un-heard of diseases, just to mention a few. Achievement is doing something that has not been done before, like building the tallest building in the world, or the fastest train in the world, or the longest bridge to connect two or more countries. That is ACHIEVEMENT.

If in the mallam's mind winning BBA is an achievement, and he's publicly stating that, then i feel sorry for the youth of Nigeria. They can as well go rob a bank of 30 million and call that an achievement as well. Bunch of irresponsible losers. angry[/b]
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by mbulela: 5:10pm On Aug 04, 2011
Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, i hope you know that show is immoral and against the teachings of Islam.
I hope you are not being a hypocrite?
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by tulk2mi: 5:30pm On Aug 04, 2011
blackmann:

[b]So winning money from a dumbass reality show is now an achievement? What about those that make millions from their inventions? If he is so myopic, maybe he should travel round the world and see what achievement is. To me an achievement is constructing things like solar-powered cars, Robots, Vehicles that can be used on the surface of the moon(all these done by undergraduates as their projects, mind you), carrying out research to develop cures for un-heard of diseases, just to mention a few. Achievement is doing something that has not been done before, like building the tallest building in the world, or the fastest train in the world, or the longest bridge to connect two or more countries. That is ACHIEVEMENT.

If in the mallam's mind winning BBA is an achievement, and he's publicly stating that, then i feel sorry for the youth of Nigeria. They can as well go rob a bank of 30 million and call that an achievement as well. Bunch of irresponsible losers. angry[/b]

which one be all this agro naw grin just be hapi dat atleast she smile home wit d money 4 achieving nathing wink
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by Osama10(m): 5:32pm On Aug 04, 2011
Weak minister. angry
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by blackmann(m): 5:33pm On Aug 04, 2011
tulk2mi:

which one be all this agro naw grin just be hapi dat atleast she smile home wit d money 4 achieving nathing wink

no be my fault jare. It just miffes me when a supposed leader of the youths in Nigeria will say something silly like that. Achevement my nutsack.
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by Delafruita(m): 5:48pm On Aug 04, 2011
@cinzo

winning money in a devious,immoral way has never been and will never be an inspiration to the wise and sensible.if that is the case,my igbo neighbour who used his first child for money rituals should be a freaking role model because,guess what,he is so freaking rich.

Cobhams asuquo isnt mega rich but he is a role model because he succeeded despite his "disability"

prof wole soyinka will always be a role model,so will chinua achebe,fela,frank oshodi,late tayo aderinokun,toyin subair,asiwaju tinube(asiwaju of the world),abike dabiri,phillip emagweali,chimamanda adichie,prince afolabi olayinka,genevieve nnaji,omotola jalade ekeinde,tuface and many other people who made their name through toil and constant hardwork. This karen will be history in a short while.its just such a pity that a nation the succeeded in not hosting miss world is now applauding stupidity
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by Koolking(m): 5:53pm On Aug 04, 2011
Delafruita:

Right on point. How does this show of shame impact on a Nigerian youth life? Those who watch, how does it impact (positively) your life as a Nigerian. Does this show depicts the true Nigerian spirit? Hell no!

Misplacement of priority. I am a full-blooded-Nigerian. I don't subscribe to filth.
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by otokx(m): 6:16pm On Aug 04, 2011
The minister has shown his level of competence.
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by lysaa(f): 6:25pm On Aug 04, 2011
Who says we can't learn something postive from even the negatives of life? Oh Well it depends on the mindset for the pursuit but I think we're getting the Minister's piece of advice twisted here. His emphasis wasn't on the show but on the determination yet selflessness of a winning heart which can take one over whether for good or not good. . thats how i see it tho.  undecided
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by kenkruse: 6:50pm On Aug 04, 2011
I hate the show with passion, God forgive me for hating sad
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by YoursGEJ(m): 6:50pm On Aug 04, 2011
A wannabe IndecentStar being celebrated?! Next up should be the yahoo yahoo boys.
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by okadaman2: 7:10pm On Aug 04, 2011
So a reality TV show vixen is now a model of Youth resilience and achievement in Nigeria?
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by bankylan: 7:23pm On Aug 04, 2011
There is just nothing sensible about BBA, The contestants lack morals as far as I am concerned and I believe any right thinking young man or woman would not emulate them, I am still trying to understand what the show is set to achieve. Mr minister, I am just too disappointed by your statement!, I believe the resilence of Nigerian youths should be seen in scientific discovery, and not in telling the whole world how rotten we could be.
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by tpia5: 7:35pm On Aug 04, 2011
is living in a house with XX number of housemates for a certain number of months, doing wierd tasks daily, considered an achievement?

i suppose.

having s.ex [or stripping] in public is always considered an achievement.
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by tpia5: 7:36pm On Aug 04, 2011
the minister for youth development.

hmm.
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by Delafruita(m): 7:54pm On Aug 04, 2011
@lysaa

personally,i have nothing against those who watch the show and dereive whatever fun or excitement from it.anyone if free to do with his time what he wishes.
However i am disapointed that a man who shoeless and clueless GEJ appointed as a minister in charge of the ministry that supposedly caters for me decided to endorse a show that many countries have banned from their airwaves due to its obscenity.that shows me that the man definitely has no idea what youth "inspiration" and "resilience" is about.otherwise he wouldnt have publicly endorsed that freak show called BBA
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by boss1310(m): 7:58pm On Aug 04, 2011
some people here condemning the show will even do worse to get their hands on that kind of money. i didnt see anything that karen does on that show that was illegal.its only in this country that i see where we condemned everything.for the fact that even if Nigeria didnt vote for her she would have won by a wide margin speaks volume of how much she was accepted in the continent.we should stop too much criticizing of the affairs of this country it doesnt unite us rather it divides us more.looking at the countries that are really progressing you will notice that no matter how they criticize their opposition politicians they always have their national interest at heart but here we curse somebody just because he or she is not from the same tribe with us.karen igho is not perfect she has so many nasty ways of making herself being the center of attraction but thats exactly won her the show.is anybody here perfect raise your hands.i dont think so
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by VolvoS60(m): 8:03pm On Aug 04, 2011
Indeed.

In the last 10 days or so, we had newsreports that a Nigerian had won a bronze medal at a Physics? or Mathematics? Olympiad held recently.

To the best of my knowledge, bolaji abdullahi has not thought it fit to issue a press statement on this achievement or meet with the prizewinner. I have not heard anything about plans to shoot for gold in the next Olympiad. However, Big Brother Amplified is worthy of a Federal Minister's time and commentary.  angry  angry  angry

Good God. How did we get to this point? How?  sad  sad
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by tpia5: 8:04pm On Aug 04, 2011
too embarassing. undecided

i'm sad for nigeria.
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by tpia5: 8:05pm On Aug 04, 2011
where is this minister from btw.

his credentials?
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by VolvoS60(m): 8:15pm On Aug 04, 2011
mbulela:

Mallam Bolaji Abdullahi, i hope you know that show is immoral and against the teachings of Islam.
I hope you are not being a hypocrite?

@Mr. Mbulela,

You just had to lob that hand grenade into the crowd, didn't you? grin grin
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by maxproxl: 8:18pm On Aug 04, 2011
dumb minister, of what relevant is a reality show to youth development in Nigeria. av nothin against karen & other housemates. but the show fell below expectation despite all the hype & unique name (big brother amplified).

if she was dat impressive, how come nigerians dont like her which explains why they didnt vote for her. its not about tribe, its about projecting the nigerian culture positively. the truth is karen was nasty, pissing, dumb, naughty & unlike a true nigerian woman

compare her to kelvin & uti, both received wide support from most nigerians, its so sad for BBA ending on a bad note
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by White007(m): 8:22pm On Aug 04, 2011
^^ undecided undecided undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by tpia5: 8:23pm On Aug 04, 2011
maybe the minister needs to be moved to social affairs?

is there a social affairs or entertainment minister and what are they doing.
Re: Karen's Victory Shows Resilience Of Nigerian Youths - Minister by Yinkay: 8:30pm On Aug 04, 2011
If the youths are showing resilience, what do we expected of the elders who are leading the country?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Your Favourite Vampires, Werewloves & Zombies Movies/TV Series / Rank These Upcoming Superhero Movies According To Your Anticipation / [movie] Spiral: From The Book Of Saw (2020) - Hollywood Movie | Mp4 Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.