Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:15 AM

Nigerian Tribes And Their States - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Tribes And Their States (84953 Views)

Some Tribes And Their Weird Cultural Practices / Nigerian Tribes Stereotypes / Are There Any Nigerian Tribes With Ancenstral Links With Tribes In Ghana? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Egbagirl(f): 9:07am On Aug 04, 2011
Egba- Abeokuta, Ogun State.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Syenite(m): 9:10am On Aug 04, 2011
Hellloooooooooo IJAW is not on the list? The ethnic group of the number 1 citizen? KAI!! or are they also grouped as Igbos?
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by md4real(m): 10:04am On Aug 04, 2011
I dont know about other states buh in niger, i say ur list is proposrous! Kai, do the reserch and add the maths again. U will understand. As fo the nupes, they are majority in niger, minority in kogi, abuja, and kwara state.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by nagoma(m): 10:18am On Aug 04, 2011
As this was compiled before the last creation of states , Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Gombe,Ebonyi , Ekiti and Zamfara will not be listed as they had not been curved out then. A good job! Yes a few duplications No46 is the same as No. 65. Some of the tribes (languages and dialects) may have disappeared all together by this time.
A few years ago I met , in flight, with an academic from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) going to a particular state in Nigeria to work with just 4 persons left in the whole world who could speak one of the Nigerian disappearing languages. Some people actually care about these!
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by omaojo1: 10:49am On Aug 04, 2011
Great job.

Can't see Ijaw or was it called another name?

baby4u2:

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Idoma - Is only Benue State
Tiv - is only Benue State

I think this was before the division of some states. You dont find this tribes in plateau or taraba, your post needs updating.
Idoma is is actuaaly only in Benue but the position on Tiv is not all wrong. We still have Tiv from Taraba.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by swagalish: 10:58am On Aug 04, 2011
igbo boy:

anuofia stop saying what u dont know , 90% of Ika is in Delta state, the other 10%, the igbankes are in Edo state, Anioma na ethnic group? a name that was formed by one chap about 60 years ago is now the name of an ethnic group?

NZUZU u just open ur elephant mouth to talk any how . can't u offer ur opinion rather than picking on some other person's quote. then wht is ENUANI. I believe u can't read well, otherwise u would ve seen the slash sign ( \ ) between ANIOMA & ENUANI. bingo.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by alamin3: 11:21am On Aug 04, 2011
You have ommited Kakanda, they are found in Kogi and Niger States
Nupe is also found in Kogi in addition to the states you have mention,
Gwari or gwagi ara also found in F.C.T and Nasarawa as well as kogi in addition to the ones you have mention.
Pls. do update your record.

Thank you.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Goldieluks: 11:29am On Aug 04, 2011
Phate07:

No am not. lipsrsealed

Sweets, which tribe are you from again? smiley

Worry not, I know you are from Mars.

from page 339-400. cheesy

BABE!:

When did you see me laugh? That was a grin, not a laugh.  grin

I only hear of them from my Social-studies textbooks (in Primary school), and random sources (like this topic).

I've not actually seen the faces behind 95% of the so-called Nigerian "tribes/ethnic groups". Or maybe I've seen more than that, and I just don't know what ethnic group they really belong to. Or maybe they just don't exist.

i was referring to Phate. wink
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Araboy(m): 11:51am On Aug 04, 2011
@ OP you left Kanuri from Borno state
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by lapazarian: 1:06pm On Aug 04, 2011
Nice one!

I am Ninzam (Kaduna), my wife is 50% Tarok (Plateau) and 50% Izon (Bayelsa) but my kids speak only english so far!
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by dustydee: 2:55pm On Aug 04, 2011
Nupe : Niger, Kogi, Kwara.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Witi(m): 4:16pm On Aug 04, 2011
Owe and Yagba are in Kogi, Igbira or Ibira are from Kogi, they are just settlers in Ondo, Ekiti and Edo. The Ebira's are in Okene, Okehi, Ajaokuta and Adavi
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Witi(m): 4:21pm On Aug 04, 2011
Ekiti? Ijesha? are missing shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Akwafina: 11:26pm On Aug 04, 2011
EFIK+IBIBIO+ANNANG+ORON+EKET ARE ONE TRIBE BUT THEY HAVE THEIR DIALECTS AND WE MAKE UP 10% OF NIGERIAS POPULATION WHEN COMBINED. YOU NIGERIANS CALL US CALABAR PEOPLE, SO STOP DIVIDING US IN THE NAME OF YOUR NIGERIAN TRIBALISM MENTALITY.

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Nigeria

Ethnic groups
Nigeria, which is Africa's most populous country, is composed of more than 250 ethnic groups; the following are the most populous and politically influential: Hausa and Fulani 29%, Yoruba 21%, Igbo 18%, Ijaw 6.5%, Ibibio 4.5%, Kanuri 4%, Annang 3.5%, [Etsako]2.2%,Tiv 2.5%, Efik 2%.[4] These percentages are estimates, based on the number of settlements, including the number of towns, villages, hamlets and cities, with information supplied by the Nigeria postal service. Although, these estimates have come under opposition by those who believe the ethnic group population counts have been tampered with for ethnic numerical superiority.[5][6][7]
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Abagworo(m): 12:12am On Aug 05, 2011
Akwafina:

EFIK+IBIBIO+ANNANG+ORON+EKET ARE ONE TRIBE BUT THEY HAVE THEIR DIALECTS AND WE MAKE UP 10% OF NIGERIAS POPULATION

The above is very true but your division was by your fore fathers and not Nigeria.The Efik,Ibibio and Annang are regarded as one people by Igbos but amongst yourselves there exists an ancient feeling of distinctiveness which goes beyond your common language.It is also the case of Urhobo and Isoko,Bini and Esan.

Igboland is also shaping up ethnically in the recent past with the emergence of Ikwerre,Etche,Ogba,Ndoni and Ika with more still seeking for recognition as distinct after 1970.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Beowulf(m): 2:34am On Aug 05, 2011
swagalish:

NZUZU u just open your elephant mouth to talk any how . can't u offer your opinion rather than picking on some other person's quote. then wht is ENUANI. I believe u can't read well, otherwise u would ve seen the slash sign ( \ ) between ANIOMA & ENUANI. bingo.

Dude stop splitting hairs jo! What is Anioma? It is an acronym for the Ibo groups that make up Delta State to wit Aniocha, Ndokwa, Ika, Oshimili. It was a term coined by Dennis Osadebay who incidentally was a founding father of Ohaneze. Maybe you should go and tell Raph Uwechue, the Ohaneze President or Joe Irukwu the erstwhile Ohaneze Sec-General that he is Anioma not Igbo. For your information both are not mutually exclusive. And what is Enuani? It is simply an Ibo dialect spoken in Aniocha and Oshimili areas of Delta state. It is also spoken by the Ogbaru in Anambra. It is like classifying the Izza or Izzi dialects of Ebonyi State as a separate ethnic group or classifying the WAWA people of Enugu State as a separate ethnic group. I don't know why Ibo people's stuffs will always end up in controversy.

@ OP: Igalas are found in Anambra State too but in very small numbers. The Ebu are also found in Delta State in very small numbers too.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by igboboy1(m): 3:30am On Aug 05, 2011
swagalish:

NZUZU u just open your elephant mouth to talk any how . can't u offer your opinion rather than picking on some other person's quote. then wht is ENUANI. I believe u can't read well, otherwise u would ve seen the slash sign ( \ ) between ANIOMA & ENUANI. bingo.

you are the onye nzuzu, i am igbo and not anioma, gini bu anioma? okwa o ihe osadebey dere na akwukwo mgbe 1950s?

onye ara ka ebu
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by odumchi: 6:25am On Aug 05, 2011
Beowulf:

Dude stop splitting hairs jo! What is Anioma? It is an acronym for the Ibo groups that make up Delta State to wit Aniocha, Ndokwa, Ika, Oshimili. It was a term coined by Dennis Osadebay who incidentally was a founding father of Ohaneze. Maybe you should go and tell Raph Uwechue, the Ohaneze President or Joe Irukwu the erstwhile Ohaneze Sec-General that he is Anioma not Igbo. For your information both are not mutually exclusive. And what is Enuani? It is simply an Ibo dialect spoken in Aniocha and Oshimili areas of Delta state. It is also spoken by the Ogbaru in Anambra. It is like classifying the Izza or Izzi dialects of Ebonyi State as a separate ethnic group or classifying the WAWA people of Enugu State as a separate ethnic group. I don't know why Ibo people's stuffs will always end up in controversy.

@ OP: Igalas are found in Anambra State too but in very small numbers. The Ebu are also found in Delta State in very small numbers too.

Well said.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Nobody: 6:30am On Aug 05, 2011
Fulanis - Kwara, Ekiti, Anambra

Yoruba - Sokoto, anambra, Bauchi, etc
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Nobody: 6:31am On Aug 05, 2011
Witi:

Ekiti? Ijesha? are missing shocked shocked shocked

I must have missed the memo, but last time I checked, Ekitis are  still Yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by odumchi: 6:42am On Aug 05, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Fulanis - Kwara, Ekiti, Anambra
Yoruba - Sokoto, anambra, Bauchi, etc

Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Nobody: 6:44am On Aug 05, 2011
odumchi:

Is there sth I need to outline for you?
Dont worry, I work with dyslexic patients, I'll try as much as I can.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by odumchi: 6:50am On Aug 05, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Is there sth I need to outline for you?
Dont worry, I work with dyslexic patients, I'll try as much as I can.

Patients treating patients? What kind of medical system do we have?
Anywhay yes outline it for me.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Nobody: 6:53am On Aug 05, 2011
odumchi:

Anywhay yes outline it for me.

Say "Please".
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by odumchi: 6:55am On Aug 05, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Say "Please".

Ejoor grin
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Nobody: 6:58am On Aug 05, 2011
odumchi:

[b]E[/b]joor  grin
very respectful. Good boy.

One cannot argue that Yorubas/Fulanis are also indigene of Anambra. Infact, even Enugu is somewhat Yoruba. The Olukumis have been in Igboland for God knows when.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by odumchi: 7:12am On Aug 05, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

very respectful. Good boy.

One cannot argue that Yorubas/Fulanis are also indigene of Anambra. Infact, even Enugu is somewhat Yoruba. The Olukumis have been in Igboland for God knows when.

Now I know that you are not fine. Please take a brake from Niaraland for a while and let your head cool down, then come back and tell us how you feel.

There are no Yorubas indeginous to anywhere east of Ondo state. There are no Fulani indeginous to anywhere south of Nassarawa state. Enugu is not Yoruba nor is it Fulani. The Olukumi (whos numbers do not surpass 10,000) who are claimed to exist in Delta state exist in the fringes of Igboland. Their community borders some Igbo speaking communities in Delta State, and their language is related to Bini more than it is to Yoruba. They speak an Edoid language like the Urhobo, Isoko and Binis. For the record, there are no non-Igbo ethnicities within Igboland. Everything from North east Delta state to the River cross River bordering Abia state and Cross-Rivers state is Igbo. Everything from A few miles into Southern Benue south to a few miles from the Ocean in River state is Igbo.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Nobody: 7:15am On Aug 05, 2011
odumchi:

Now I know that you are not fine. Please take a brake from Niaraland for a while and let your head cool down, then come back and tell us how you feel.

There are no Yorubas indeginous to anywhere east of Ondo state. There are no Fulani indeginous to anywhere south of Nassarawa state. Enugu is not Yoruba nor is it Fulani. The Olukumi (whos numbers do not surpass 10,000) who are claimed to exist in Delta state exist in the fringes of Igboland. Their community borders some Igbo speaking communities in Delta State, and their language is related to Bini more than it is to Yoruba. They speak an Edoid language like the Urhobo, Isoko and Binis. For the record, there are no non-Igbo ethnicities within Igboland. Everything from North east Delta state to the River cross River bordering Abia state and Cross-Rivers state is Igbo. Everything from A few miles into Southern Benue south to a few miles from the Ocean in River state is Igbo.

Look, patient odumchi, get yourself checked. Let me not start with my medical treatments (for you) on NL.

How can a reasonable person say that Enugu and Anambra are not part of Yorubaland? Ignorance is not bliss. just because we're not that many, does not mean some part of those states dont belong to us.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by odumchi: 7:26am On Aug 05, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Look, patient odumchi, get yourself checked. Let me not start with my medical treatments (for you) on NL.

How can a reasonable person say that Enugu and Anambra are not part of Yorubaland? Ignorance is not bliss. just because we're not that many, does not mean some part of those states dont belong to us.

Chineke, Malaria don do you bad. These are the symtpoms of malaria, hallucinations and etc.
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by Nobody: 7:30am On Aug 05, 2011
odumchi:

Chineke, Malaria don do you bad. These are the symtpoms of malaria, hallucinations and etc.

In the process, since I'm well certified (got by degree from university of Biafra), allow me to diagnose you. Let me guess, you dont know where you are or how you got to the laptop you're currently using abi?

There's a name for that. You might be psychotic too.

NEWAYZ, Yoruba - Anambra, Enugu, Bauchi, Sokoto etc
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by globalmind: 4:26pm On Aug 06, 2011
Why i no see my tribe among the list na , weting dey happen na
Re: Nigerian Tribes And Their States by jamace(m): 1:06pm On Aug 10, 2011
Why i no see my tribe among the list na , weting dey happen na
Tell us now because the compilation is still on. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Queen Aanu Introduces New Man To Her Family / The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala / Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood At Okrika Market Yesterday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.