Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,739 members, 7,802,240 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:27 AM

What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! (15062 Views)

First Black Man To Make A Grade Point Average Of 3.98 Out Of 4.0 Is Nigerian!!! / World’s Second-longest Ruling Monarch Is Nigerian / Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 04, 2011
J
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 9:54pm On Aug 04, 2011
There is the Nigerian look. As far as I'm concerned, it's not something to be antagonistic about. Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa have their looks. There is nothing tribalistic about it either. People with green eyes does not take away the average look of Nigerians. Kenyans, Ethiopians have their looks. Has nothing to do with ignorance in my opinion. wink
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 10:04pm On Aug 04, 2011
stillwater:

There is the Nigerian look. As far as I'm concerned, it's not something to be antagonistic about. Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa have their looks. There is nothing tribalistic about it either. People with green eyes does not take away the average look of Nigerians. Kenyans, Ethiopians have their looks. Has nothing to do with ignorance in my opinion. wink

Leave Ethiopians out it, Kenyans? go to Nairobi!

I can't see the difference in tribal looks seriously, I know bororo people ect look different but others like TIV, Igala, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, etc, all look alike if you ask me and there is no look in Igbo land I haven't seen in a Yoruba.

Then the Nigerian look, Seriously how do you even establish such fallacy if can establish that Nigerians look different hahahahahahahah Booooooom yeah!!!
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 12:43am On Aug 05, 2011
it's not something to be antagonistic about

i tire!!!
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 12:45am On Aug 05, 2011
this denial by certain quarters must be linked to a deep sense of shame at being african or something.

just because AAs or certain other nigerians look down on you and call you ugly, doesnt mean you have to let it affect your reasoning. undecided

9jaganja, if you're not familiar with what nigerians look like, then try to get informed, instead of denying.

next you'll ask if nigerians look different from indians.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 1:34am On Aug 05, 2011
V
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 2:12am On Aug 05, 2011
^^no need to be so aggressive when you're clearly in the wrong.

the fact is, you should sometimes learn WHAT YOU DONT KNOW instead of being defensive.

ok?

the way you're jumping up only serves to buttress my observation.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 2:14am On Aug 05, 2011

so you cant tell the difference between an average kenyan and a nigerian?
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 2:49am On Aug 05, 2011
tongue

I can tell a Nigerian straight away and from which tribe and I am not even Nigeria, Just like I can tell someone who is Indian, Italian, Gambian or Ethiopian. . cool
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Pweety4me(f): 2:53am On Aug 05, 2011
People that are familiar with the faces KNOW them, although not always correct.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 2:54am On Aug 05, 2011
i dont really subscribe to the idea of phrenology as an ideology but to get militant over the fact that people can generally tell who is from where, is just laughable. undecided

oversabi.

see the thread title sef.

person accusing others of ignorance:

There are no looks peculiar to Nigerians

1 Like

Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 2:58am On Aug 05, 2011
Its not about ignorance.

There are some characters (in terms of personality, physical, etc) just particular to the nigerian people, characters aligned with our identity, characters cultivated from our cultures and traditions.

And when it comes to facial recognition, you can tell when someone is a Nigerian about 60% of the time. eSP nigerian men with their engine eyes.

This is the job of a criminal profiler, assessing and making assumptions based on "what looks like what".
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 2:59am On Aug 05, 2011
People that are familair with the faces KNOW them, although not always correct.

folks are sensitive about this, but i think growing up in the diaspora would make most people unaware of these things.

all you have there are "black" and "white", "lightskin" "darkskin" and those types of gradients.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 3:03am On Aug 05, 2011
Pweety4me:

People that are familair with the faces KNOW them, although not always correct.
That is true sometimes you do get them wrong. .But because you are familiar with certain groups of people you tend to assume where they are from because of their looks when you first meet them and most of them time you are right. .

I study accents and can pick up where someone is from. .Although people generally know an "African accent" that is it for them, they do not know that there are different accents to the "African accent"
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 3:11am On Aug 05, 2011
i dont really subscribe to the idea of phrenology as an ideology but to get militant over the fact that people can generally tell who is from where, is just laughable.

What has the studying of the size of the cranium have to do with what the OP is saying? I mean you do not see anyone(meeting someone for the first time) taking a ruler or measuring tape and checking what shape or size the person's skull is to see if they are Nigerian or not. .
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Pweety4me(f): 3:12am On Aug 05, 2011
kandiikane:

That is true sometimes you do get them wrong. .But because you are familiar with certain groups of people you tend to assume where they are from because of their looks when you first meet them and most of them time you are right. .

I study accents and can pick up where someone is from. .Although people generally know an "African accent" that is it for them, they do not know that there are different accents to the "African accent"

Yes, there was one guy i used to see in my 'institution' tongue didn't know him very well or anything but always thought he was Nigerian but turnt out he is congolese were actually quite good friends now smiley(not becus of dat ofcos) lipsrsealed

You can never be too certain.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 3:25am On Aug 05, 2011
^^yes, congolese can easily be mistaken for other places, including AA and the carribean.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 3:29am On Aug 05, 2011
9jaganja:

I can't see the difference in tribal looks seriously,  I know bororo people ect look different but others like TIV, Igala, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa,  etc,  all look alike if you ask me and there is no look in Igbo land I haven't seen in a Yoruba.

Then the Nigerian look,  Seriously how do you even establish such fallacy if can establish that Nigerians look different hahahahahahahah Booooooom yeah!!!

Yeah you can find a look peculiar to a group in another ethnic group, but it won't be in the majority among that group. If you've lived in Nigeria for a considerable number of years, you can begin to tell people apart like 70% of the time.
There's nothing wrong with speculating on people's looks, it's just normal human perception.

I won't be shocked if I was told this lady in the photo is Kenyan.

There might be other looks in Kenya, just as we have fulani looks different from Igbo or Yoruba.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 3:30am On Aug 05, 2011
J
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 3:34am On Aug 05, 2011
stillwater:

Yeah you can find a look peculiar to a group in another ethnic group, but it won't be in the majority among that group. If you've lived in Nigeria for a considerable number of years, you can begin to tell people apart like 70% of the time.
There's nothing wrong with speculating on people's looks, it's just normal human perception.

I won't be shocked if I was told this lady in the photo is Kenyan.

You know, I won't be shocked if that lady is Ethiopian or Ghanaian, Funniest part is, You will find South Africans/Tanzania with same look, In Nigeria's case, I won't be surprised if she is Nupe seriously
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 3:35am On Aug 05, 2011
The fulanis I know and I have seen definitely do not look like Kenyans. .The only thing I will say is many do have a curly or wavy hair texture which is common in many horners. .That is about it. .

Post a picture of yourself lets see if you look oyinbo pepper or Nigerian. .aha
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 3:36am On Aug 05, 2011
you need to calm down. undecided

First of all, my child hood was spent in 3 different countries namely England, US, Nigeria,

so, what are you contradicting in my observation?

When we returned to Nigeria, I wasn't looked at differently by people instead I'm Oyinbo pepper which is what they called every light skin person in my neighborhood! So that gives me the Idea that they are used to my kind of look which to me trounces the "Nigerian look",

returnees from abroad can be called oyinbo because of their foreign mannerisms, in addition to any lightskin they may have. And this isnt always meant as a compliment.

your entire post is full of holes, actually. Will see if i want to address some of your misconceptions- not sure if it's worth it.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 3:36am On Aug 05, 2011
9jaganja:

You know, I won't be shocked if that lady is Ethiopian or Ghanaian,  Funniest part is, You will find South Africans/Tanzania with same look,  In Nigeria's case, I won't be surprised if she is Nupe seriously
Then what is your problem? You just doing what everyone does classing someone to a certain group at first glance. .
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 3:38am On Aug 05, 2011
In England, we were just like every other Nigerian kid in any Nigerian occasion we go to,  which tells you nothing un-Nigerian about our looks,

you have missed it, to quote becomerich.

have an Ogoni name (kenunle) from my uncle's friend who said I look like his Nephew (Kenunle), Again, No "Nigerian look",

are ogonis not nigerians?

And if someone tells you you look like his ogoni nephew, then either his nephew looks like whatever tribe you claim or some other reason.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 3:44am On Aug 05, 2011
In Abuja, I met lots of Fulani people who look like kenyans

fulanis do not look like kenyans unless you're referring to a hamitic/cushoid appearance found in[b] some [/b] kenyans.

maybe somali or araboid ones.

Now, The US is the only place me and my sis know we are mixed

what are you mixed with?
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 3:49am On Aug 05, 2011
Even somalis, they do not look like them. .

Even though  many might have similar hair and small features, you will not see a fulani and class them as somali. .
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 3:52am On Aug 05, 2011
P
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 3:54am On Aug 05, 2011
tpia@:

fulanis do not look like kenyans unless you're referring to a hamitic/cushoid appearance found in[b] some [/b] kenyans.

maybe somali or araboid ones.

what are you mixed with?

Not all Fulanis look "Araboid", are you even Nigerian? hahahhah Tpia ooo,

Irish/Nigerian!
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 3:57am On Aug 05, 2011
And we all know not all Ethiopians, Somalian, Eritrean, Djiboutians look like the "Araboid" or whatever look we associate them with!
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by tpia5: 3:58am On Aug 05, 2011
Now, I'm saying, if there is any look exclusive to Nigerians, I will be identified as mixed race in Nigeria because I'm at the border line between Afin and oyinbo,  

most times nigerians can tell the difference between a directly biracial person and someone who just looks biracial.

if you look biracial and there's no one in your extended family on both sides with similar features, then no wahala.

That I lived in England/US didn't take away from my Yoruba culture cause that's how mama raised me,  so it couldn't have been the way I behaved that made them call me oyinbo pepper

you're contradicting yourself.

How would you describe Regina Akia?

what about regina askia?
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by Nobody: 4:01am On Aug 05, 2011
9jaganja:

You know, I won't be shocked if that lady is Ethiopian or Ghanaian,  Funniest part is, You will find South Africans/Tanzania with same look,  In Nigeria's case, I won't be surprised if she is Nupe seriously

Lol, the problem then is you. You need to tweak your perception abilities. tongue
As I said you can find the look in other regions, but that look would still be peculiar to a particular people.
Can't remember the biological term where morphological attributes of organisms begin to adapt to their environment over a period of time, thereby causing variation from other populations. The same idea can be applied here.
Re: What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! by kandiikane(m): 4:06am On Aug 05, 2011
@stillwater, I think you are looking for Phenotype

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

History Of The Internet In Nigeria / Watch White Choir Sing Yoruba Carol. / Igwe Awka Etiti Akum1 Is Dead?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.