Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,981 members, 7,806,868 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon (7932 Views)

Justin Beiber Is Greater Than Fela, Sunny Ade And All African Musicians / Jay Z Feat Roc Boys Sampling Fela's Water No Get Enemy! / Fela Kuti Audio And Videos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by tushutt(m): 4:36pm On Aug 05, 2011
tosinaded@:

@poster

pls show us where u read that fela used to walk the streets Unclad
I promised to ignore you but read this
http://blog.felaonbroadway.com/2009/11/felas-stark-naked-jig.html

I think it a great privilege to be the first daughter of a great man like Fela Anikulapo Kuti. I remember a lot of the stories my mother and grandmother told me of the times they had with Fela in England when they met. Fela and my mother, Remi, were so young and full of life!

There was one funny story about the British people that I find amusing to this day. You know how British people can be reserved but nosy? So my grandmother and her neighbour used to peep at each other every day and gossip about whatever they saw. Fela used to watch them and one day while she was in the act of peeping he just pulled open the curtain and exposed her. She was so upset she went red with embarrassment. Another time, while the other neighbour was peeping, he pulled the curtain and did a jig while he was stark naked. I suppose that would have cured that lady of peeping and I’m sure it cured my grandmother somewhat.

This kind of story doesn’t detract from the sheer talent and heavily ideological mind that he had and his dream for the emancipation of the Black race. When I was a teenager I went to many university lectures with him that has influenced my own ideology until today. He expanded my mind to the great history of our people from the Pharaohs in Egypt right up to the slave trade.

I know that the corruption of our leaders was the one thing that gave Fela the greatest concern, but I think he was disillusioned at the time of his death. No matter how many songs he sang about corruption and mismanagement we still went out and voted for the worst culprits that he’d already warned us about. A good example is our former president, Obasanjo. Despite being a topic of many Fela songs, we still voted him into office and when he did not perform well we complained. If only we had listened to Fela we would have know he was unlikely to do anything positive.

You know Fela’s name, Anikulapo-Kuti (which I bear with pride) means “I have death in my pouch.” Many people would not understand that name, but the real meaning is what we see now: his name never dies. The present interest in him is as if he was still alive. For generations to come Fela will be a source of inspiration to millions of people around the world. I feel proud to be his daughter and could not have asked for a greater father.

~Yeni Anikulapo Kuti

you probably know better than she does
tongue
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by tosinaded(m): 4:37pm On Aug 05, 2011
bossinie:

Very easy to deduce your lack of assimilation of the subject matter,poster knows enough to ask a well articulated question which you have no answer to.However, as long as most of us will not wish for our children or wards to live or end-up like Fela then it is hypocritical to label him an 'icon'. smiley

u obviously lack the understanding of what an icon is. . . . . .

EveryHuman has GOOD and BAD sides!
Nobody Holy pass. . . plus the silly poster.

choose the one u want to emulate. . . .
HIs GOOD qualifies him an ICON
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by ikooko(m): 4:38pm On Aug 05, 2011
brixton:

We knw dat op is making a valid point yet som NLers ar makin him seem senseless. Sum1 said Femi shrine shud bcome a national park/center,ar u sayin Nig.Govt shud legalise crimalty n train vagabonds to put our dear country beyond mystery?? Fela was a musical icon but NOT d kind of person i wnt to bcome or emulate wen i grow up!

Now your comment gave you out that you are a teenager. The real Shrine was established by Fela himself, Femi his first son took over and did all that is necessary to re-establish and modernize it after his father's demise.

That SHRINE represents not only Afro-Beat but SYMBOL of LIBERATION.

Go ask your dad, he will tell you more.
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by Ajistotle(m): 4:39pm On Aug 05, 2011
Imagine Che Guevera and Bob Marley rolled into one, then you get a sense of Nigerian musician and activist, Fela - Kuti
Brixton, d dude is not sounding like he is saying nonsense, simply put,he is saying nonsense and I wont hesitate to pass the same judgement on you if you decide to take sides with him. Fela is a musical icon(allen was his drummer,so why are you talkin as if it was him who created afrobeat, Fela was even humble enough to share credit for the creation of highlif with his drummer!), he is a political icon(ask amnesty international) and will certainly make a list of the five most popular nigerians both dead and living,but he is "not an icon" because of his erratic persona? Take a look around at every specially gifted person, they look normal 2 u? From michael jackson(where do i start) to bobby brown(jailbird) to even scientists(einstein never wore socks), painters(da vinci was gay) etc. Summarily Ur proffesional life or career is different and should nt be compared on any basis with ur private life
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by eghost247(m): 4:40pm On Aug 05, 2011
tosinaded@:

u obviously lack the understanding of what an icon is. . . . . .

EveryHuman has GOOD and BAD sides!
Nobody Holy pass. . . plus the silly poster.

choose the one u want to emulate. . . .
HIs GOOD qualifies him an ICON
Seconded
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by tosinaded(m): 4:41pm On Aug 05, 2011
ikooko:

Now your comment gave you out that you are a teenager. The real Shrine was established by Fela himself, Femi his first son took over and did all that is necessary to re-establish and modernize it after his father's demise.

That SHRINE represents not only Afro-Beat but SYMBOL of LIBERATION.

Go ask your dad, he will tell you more.

thank you grin
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by Roland17(m): 4:41pm On Aug 05, 2011
If abami eda is not an icon who do we decorate an Icon then? do u decorate ruthless, corrupt and inhuman politicians and business men who have continuously milked this frail cow(Nigeria) to a point of death, leaving the nation in abject poverty with youths reeling in the gutters of poverty? or do we accord the status of an icon to our half Unclad actors and actresses who have succeeded in increasing the level moral indiscipline amongst our gullible youths of today.

Baba 70 represents more than an Icon to the hearts of many.
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by nolongtin(m): 4:42pm On Aug 05, 2011
onile orisha- abami, edaomoeniyan,the shrine owner of afrika.augustine,omo iya aje,choir master,immortal.
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 05, 2011
Fela's brand of cultural nationalism makes him a quintessential African icon.
Describing Fela - who remained an unrepentant Pan-Africanist till the very end - as a Nigerian icon somewhat diminishes his real status.

Underground System
[flash=200,200]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaBbbEefE0c?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by tosinaded(m): 4:43pm On Aug 05, 2011
hackney:

YES, He was an icon and will forever be.

He was an unbiased  strong voice that spoke for the people and against oppression, corruption and general political moral decadence.
He was zero materialistic despite his wealth.

The man had guts and i will always respect him.

God Bless You
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by FLYBOY(m): 4:46pm On Aug 05, 2011
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon
« #32 on: Today at 04:36:01 PM »

Quote from: tosinaded@ on Today at 04:28:04 PM
@poster

http://blog.felaonbroadway.com/2009/11/felas-stark-Unclad-jig.html

I think it a great privilege to be the first daughter of a great man like Fela Anikulapo Kuti. I remember a lot of the stories my mother and grandmother told me of the times they had with Fela in England when they met. Fela and my mother, Remi, were so young and full of life!

There was one funny story about the British people that I find amusing to this day. You know how British people can be reserved but nosy? So my grandmother and her neighbour used to peep at each other every day and gossip about whatever they saw. Fela used to watch them and one day while she was in the act of peeping he just pulled open the curtain and exposed her. She was so upset she went red with embarrassment. Another time, while the other neighbour was peeping, he pulled the curtain and did a jig while he was stark Unclad. I suppose that would have cured that lady of peeping and I’m sure it cured my grandmother somewhat.

This kind of story doesn’t detract from the sheer talent and heavily ideological mind that he had and his dream for the emancipation of the Black race. When I was a teenager I went to many university lectures with him that has influenced my own ideology until today. He expanded my mind to the great history of our people from the Pharaohs in Egypt right up to the slave trade.

I know that the corruption of our leaders was the one thing that gave Fela the greatest concern, but I think he was disillusioned at the time of his death. No matter how many songs he sang about corruption and mismanagement we still went out and voted for the worst culprits that he’d already warned us about. A good example is our former president, Obasanjo. Despite being a topic of many Fela songs, we still voted him into office and when he did not perform well we complained. If only we had listened to Fela we would have know he was unlikely to do anything positive.

You know Fela’s name, Anikulapo-Kuti (which I bear with pride) means “I have death in my pouch.” Many people would not understand that name, but the real meaning is what we see now: his name never dies. The present interest in him is as if he was still alive. For generations to come Fela will be a source of inspiration to millions of people around the world. I feel proud to be his daughter and could not have asked for a greater father.

~Yeni Anikulapo Kuti

Tongue

Did you read what you posted, Can you kindly show where it says HE was on the street!!!!!!
You level of comprehension is appallingly low
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by tosinaded(m): 4:50pm On Aug 05, 2011
FLYBOY:

Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon
« #32 on: Today at 04:36:01 PM »

Quote from: tosinaded@ on Today at 04:28:04 PM
@poster

http://blog.felaonbroadway.com/2009/11/felas-stark-Unclad-jig.html

There was one funny story about the British people that I find amusing to this day. You know how British people can be reserved but nosy? So my grandmother and her neighbour used to peep at each other every day and gossip about whatever they saw. Fela used to watch them and one day while she was in the act of peeping he just pulled open the curtain and exposed her. She was so upset she went red with embarrassment. Another time, while the other neighbour was peeping, he pulled the curtain and did a jig while he was stark Unclad. I suppose that would have cured that lady of peeping and I’m sure it cured my grandmother somewhat.

~Yeni Anikulapo Kuti

Tongue

Did you read what you posted, Can you kindly show where it says HE was on the street!!!!!!
You level of comprehension is appallingly low

i knowingly didnt want to reply him. . . . Good u did!
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by NatGas(m): 4:55pm On Aug 05, 2011
@ Poster. what are you know for?it doesn't matter if he lived a rough live but at least he stood for something and that alone made him the GREAT ICON he is today.
You criticized him of of walking naked on the street, smoke weed openly, married 27 women in 1 day and painted him devil, but you who don't smoke weed, who don't walk naked on the street and married to only 1 woman, what Fela the GREAT ICON saw more than 30 years ago you have not been able to see till today.
Talking about letting my child to be like him off course YES! why not? is he not better off the most Nigerians today?All fela relative are very proud of him so?
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by Roland17(m): 4:56pm On Aug 05, 2011
@op

Your post has just hit the lions tail, u have eaten more than u can chew with this one, if u were not lucky to live the times of BABA 70, then u can keep ur mind quiet and discuss more issues relating to modern untalented acts that have made u loose ur sense of identity.
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by tosinaded(m): 5:01pm On Aug 05, 2011
Roland17:

@op

Your post has just hit the lions tail, u have eaten more than u can chew with this one, if u were not lucky to live the times of BABA 70, then u can keep your mind quiet and discuss more issues relating to modern untalented acts that have made u loose your sense of identity.

+1
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by Baawaa(m): 5:11pm On Aug 05, 2011
Fela Anikulapo Kuti was arrested more than two hundred times in his life, and charged with almost every conceivable crime, although only serving one eighteen month sentence in jail for a currency violation. Despite this constant harassment he continued to live in Nigeria even though, as an icon in the international world of rock and roll, soul, jazz and hip-hop, he could have at any point abandoned Nigeria and led the life of an international music superstar.
Fela was a man with great influence in the African music world, he is irreplaceable and his presence will be sorely misssed.

1 Like

Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by seguno2: 5:14pm On Aug 05, 2011
tushutt:

I had promised myself not to respond as I could see there were enough well-informed posters to educate you on the universal icon that Fela is. That was until I saw your post above to justify your earlier assertion that fela walked in the street na.ked, which shows that you like distorting facts to suit your own agenda, whatever they may be in this case.
I was priviledged to watch Fela on Broadway last year and was proud to be a Nigerian and African. In fact I made sure I wore an African dress to the show even though blacks were very few in the packed audience.
It should be instructive to you that his daughter concluded that she is very proud of her father despite "walking na.ked in the streets".
One other reason why he is an icon to me, even in death, is that he is the only person on record in Nigeria whose family stated cause of death to be HIV/AIDS related as their contribution to de-stigmatise the illness.
Btw, may I ask you to give us a list of say 3, 5 or 10 Nigerian icons that you have. I hope you will oblige us with your list and why they are your icons before you post anything further on the subject of whether Fela is an icon or not.
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by Konjour(m): 5:15pm On Aug 05, 2011
He is definitely a National Icon. His songs are among the signature tunes that has been used for the soundtracks of the world famous

Grand Theft Auto:Liberty City.

I was soooo transfixed when i was playing the game and i could hear "Zombie o Zombie" playing softly in the background.

I felt so proud that someone from my part of the world was valued so much as to have a host of his songs on a game disc that sold and still sells

like wildfire among GTA gamers.

There are very few African musicians that'd be capable of that feat. So for me,infact He is more of a super-icon! cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by Nobody: 5:40pm On Aug 05, 2011
Fela is the only true Nigerian in my opinion simply [b]because he challenged the system!!!!!!!!!! [/b]He challenged the system !!!!he challenged the system !!!!!and once again, I repeat,he challenged the system. Nigerians of today are cowards who instead of joining and fighting for the goodness of their brothers and sisters have resulted to tribalism, corruption, and extreme ignorance with the aid of religion. Fela may not be perfect by he is definitely a Nigerian icon.
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by Stankoko(m): 5:49pm On Aug 05, 2011
The reason I love ur thread is because it has ended up in humbling you,
You are one of those persons I see who carry themselves with pride as if they know it all, and always ready to fight anyone who says anthing contrary to ur reasoning.
Music Life of Fela, he started a new genre of song, and entertained the men and women of his time, both localy and international.
Education: may be u don't know but Fela was well educated and that was why he was able to understand that are Africans are no barbarians.
Culture, Fela promotes his culture by his dressing, and by his music. That was a time when people like Chris Okotie were imitating the westerner both in songs and dressing. He always choose to speak his native language, but since he is passing a message not only to his tribe but to all Nigerians and Africans as a whole, he settled for the country man's language which is pidgin English as further mockery to western world,
Life style: what he does with his personal time is his business so long as it doesn't constitute a nuisance to the public,
In summary, he is a man to be reckoned with because of his integrity, and moreover it takes a man with guts to say and do the things he did, things which cannot be said or done in the democratic administration of Obasanjo not talk of his military regime, but one man did it, and dat man is FELA ANIKULAKPO-KUTI. It's hard to see a man with guts in this era, so when u see one, give him de respect he deserves, and that's what I just did, so, when are u going stop being a hater and start becoming a player? Or is it ignorance?
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by ebogentle(m): 5:53pm On Aug 05, 2011
Poster,here are some questions for you
1, Do you consider the likes of late Gani Fawehinmi an icon (Human Rights Activism)?
2, Do you consider the likes of late Christy Essien Igbokwe an icon(Music)?

Well then guess what? Fela is a combo of the above two. So what if he had weakness for women and weed. You think you live in a perfect world?

I  will tell you what? Fela was not in any position to affect lots of people (government and Big business) and yet he was a very huge voice for the people. He said it like it was even in the face of danger while giving us good music at the same time. Oh yeah that's definitely an icon.

I will tell you what an icon is not.
It is not a person who was in a position to affect humanity positively and overwhelmingly but chose to just amass wealth and power while also trying to assume some kind of moral uprightness.
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by Chuks84(m): 5:57pm On Aug 05, 2011
Its been a while since I commented on this site, the first thing I noticed is that tosinadeda still speaks from his anus instead of approaching issues in a matured way. The poster raised a valid question, one which I have asked my self many times. Fela's lifestyle was a total mess, a marijuana addict, unbelievably promiscous, he refused his son femi, the opportunity to be properly educated, he eventually died of a disease that would make anyone an outcast in our society. But what makes one an icon? Despite all his follies, he was a voice of the people, a vocal critic of our corrupt government, he stood up to the military when others cowered, he was able to inspire most Nigerians through his music, this alone elevated his to the status of an icon.
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by brixton: 6:09pm On Aug 05, 2011
YES,im a fan of Fela but fela is not d kinda person i wud call a National icon.y'all need to take a walk around Balogun area of ikeja to see fo urselves d fruits of a ur so called "universal icon".Do u know ow many lives av been wasted/ruined in following Fela and his ways? Why is dat dude argueing about fela walking around naked or ar u too old to remember watching his interviews and musical videos? Atleast,im teen enuf to knw ma right frm wrong, heheheh!smoke weed everyday!!!
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by tical(m): 6:10pm On Aug 05, 2011
this is blasphemy of d highest order. . Bob marley has many wives nd smokes weed. .isnt he an Icon?

doesnt d'banj who is now undoubtedly d biggest artiste in africa emulates fela musically & fashionwise? Doesnt dat make Fela an Icon?

Some1 was even saying wole soyinka nobel laureate is an Icon & Fela isnt grin grin grin grin ok incase u dnt knw wole is a volatile sociopath nd acts lyk wierdo at times & he is also an atheist who doesnt believe God exist . .do u stil want 2 b lyk ur Wole Icon? undecided

Bottomline,you cant copy ALL ur Icon does cuz Nobody is entirely HOLY!
Just copy d ones u like & 4get d rest.

Hav u eva taken time to listen Fela's funky Afrobeat Instrumentation? Timeless Classic!!! No can do it lyk him Not even Tony Allen *who culd only wish*!

Rappers worldwide incudin jay z sample Fela, naija mixtape rappers, alicia keys,nas, jst name them. .c'mon poster. Dats y pple r annoyed wiv u!

Talkin abt Fela givin props to tony Allen. .No Idea is original. .even d greatest artiste ever Michael Jackson drew Inspiration 4rm som1. .Get It?

ASk anybody outside naija before this recent musical revolution they wil tel u its Fela nd he stil remains d most revered artiste in d hisory of africa

We shuld learn 2 respect our Own Artistes! They are the best iN world!! Believe Me!!!it lyk him Not even Tony Allen *who culd only wish*!

Rappers worldwide incudin jay z sample Fela, naija mixtape rappers, alicia keys,nas, jst name them. .c'mon poster. Dats y pple r annoyed wiv u!

Talkin abt Fela givin props to tony Allen. .No Idea is original. .even d greatest artiste ever Michael Jackson drew Inspiration 4rm som1. .Get It?

ASk anybody outside naija before this recent musical revolution they wil tel u its Fela nd he stil remains d most revered artiste in d hisory of africa

We shuld learn 2 respect our Own Artistes! They are the best iN world!! Believe Me!!!
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by alexola20(m): 6:11pm On Aug 05, 2011
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by tosinaded(m): 6:13pm On Aug 05, 2011
Chuks84:

Its been a while since I commented on this site, the first thing I noticed is that tosinadeda still speaks from his anus instead of approaching issues in a matured way. The poster raised a valid question, one which I have asked my self many times. Fela's lifestyle was a total mess, a marijuana addict, unbelievably promiscous, he refused his son femi, the opportunity to be properly educated, he eventually died of a disease that would make anyone an outcast in our society. But what makes one an icon? Despite all his follies, he was a voice of the people, a vocal critic of our corrupt government, he stood up to the military when others cowered, he was able to inspire most Nigerians through his music, this alone elevated his to the status of an icon.

hands him a trophy grin grin stalker oshi. . get a freaking life
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by tosinaded(m): 6:15pm On Aug 05, 2011
brixton:

YES,im a fan of Fela but fela is not d kinda person i wud call a National icon.y'all need to take a walk around Balogun area of ikeja to see fo urselves d fruits of a your so called "universal icon".Do u know ow many lives av been wasted/ruined in following Fela and his ways? Why is dat dude argueing about fela walking around Unclad or ar u too old to remember watching his interviews and musical videos? Atleast,im teen enuf to knw ma right frm wrong, heheheh!smoke weed everyday!!!

go read my previous post where i talked abt good and bad!
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by DASLEEKY: 6:21pm On Aug 05, 2011
I feel compelled to post on NL. I rarely do, My simple reason to clear up one fact:
FELA NEVER WAKED  THE STREET Unclad NOR PERFORMED WITH JUST UNDERPANTS ON STAGE

A controversy ignited During the West african idol auditions, When one of the judges, Dede Madiaku (Fela's protegee), had  strongly abeit harshly chatised some dude for trying to mimic Fela with just underpants and Dede was unequivocal in saying the fact "FELA NEVER CLIMB THE STAGE WITH HIS UNDERPANTS"
 see said incidence here  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDh_TsHKfJU
& folks came up with diff videos of him, (including this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPIZBcb6hQI  singing is his underpants but all of such videos are rehearsal @ his gbemisola street residence  in Ikeja

So if there's anything to be re-emphasized here it is the simple fact:
[size=16pt]FELA NEVER CLIMB THE STAGE WITH JUST UNDER PANTS NOR WALKED THE STREETS UNCLAD!!!![/size]
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by Solozzo(m): 6:27pm On Aug 05, 2011
I believe what the OP raised is an important issue. That is what makes a real man, an icon. We need to redefine this carefully. The morality of one's life  is an important aspect of one's status.

In retrospect, Fela was like a hypocrite who condemned society's ills but practices bad behavior in his own way, all in the name of freedom. He ruined the lives of so many youths, spread HIV to many and had little control over finances. His republic was a disaster.

He was a social critic, a hypocrite and a musical genius. ThIs  is my submission
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by samm(m): 6:28pm On Aug 05, 2011
I would think the first thing to do is define Icon:

One who is the object of great attention and devotion

An important and enduring symbol

SO, FELA IS AN ICON and A NATIONAL TREASURE.
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by tosinaded(m): 6:31pm On Aug 05, 2011
Solozzo:

I believe what the OP raised is an important issue. That is what makes a real man, an icon. We need to redefine this carefully. The morality of one's life is an important aspect of one's status.

In retrospect, Fela was like a hypocrite who condemned society's ills but practices bad behavior in his own way, all in the name of freedom. He ruined the lives of so many youths, spread HIV to many and had little control over finances. His republic was a disaster.

He was a social critic, a hypocrite and a musical genius. ThIs is my submission

explain further
Re: Is Fela Really A Nigerian Icon by semid4lyfe(m): 6:32pm On Aug 05, 2011
This thread dey vex me die. Make Seun delete am jare.

What audacity and blasphemy. . . . . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Download J. Cole Middle Child Instrumental / Kelly Hansome Vs M.i :::: Who Takes Round Two / D'bang Mr TONGOLO...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.