Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,662 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:05 PM

Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? (9481 Views)

Customer/technical Support Professionals lets meet here / Highest Paid Professionals And Most Lucrative Profession In Nigeria / Human Resource Professionals: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by lacewiggal: 1:44pm On Aug 05, 2011
im a pharmacist practicing in the states desperatey thinking of returning home soon to serve my fatherland. but i was looking at salaries  and they range from 60,000- 120,000 naira per month!!!!!! isn't that a form of modern day slavery? everyone knows d suffering that pharm students pass thru in school so why the low pay? less than 1000 dollars per month kwa? tufia!!!!! lol  pharmacists in the rest of the world mostly make 10- 12 times that amount per month, should we continue to perpetuate dis slavery or stand up for our rights!?
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by slimyem: 1:55pm On Aug 05, 2011
my brother,that's d way it is here o.infact everybody is underpaid except the politician and oil people.
Better stay back there and live beter.even if youplan to come establish something or set up yourself,the situation of the country as regards electricity especially wont help matters.may God help us.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by BigMeat2: 4:02pm On Aug 05, 2011
This is just plain wickedness from the employers both private and public.

Can anyone imagine how life will be better for professionals, if the various level of government can sort out the problem of paying 'ghost workers'.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by hackney(m): 4:24pm On Aug 05, 2011
Nigeria is a monkey zoo.

the simplest things dont work unless by force.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Kay1kay1(m): 4:25pm On Aug 05, 2011
Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria?
« on: Today at 01:44:33 PM »
im a pharmacist practicing in the states desperatey thinking of returning home soon to serve my fatherland. but i was looking at salaries  and they range from 60,000- 120,000 naira per month!!!!!! isn't that a form of modern day slavery? everyone knows d suffering that pharm students pass thru in school so why the low pay? less than 1000 dollars per month kwa? tufia!!!!! lol  pharmacists in the rest of the world mostly make 10- 12 times that amount per month, should we continue to perpetuate dis slavery or stand up for our rights!?

Try to become a SENATOR. You will feel the difference.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Acidosis(m): 4:30pm On Aug 05, 2011
That is because people go to school to 'study' and later become a slave to either an organization or the government.
''No matter the amount you give a slave, a slave will always remain a slave''
~mcdeolu
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by aieromon(m): 4:36pm On Aug 05, 2011
@OP
As a colleague,i won't advise you to come down to Nigeria 'cos the salary disparity is wide.You can decide to start your own business,though.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Aug 05, 2011
be your own boss
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Aug 05, 2011
be your own boss

Thanks for your comment. We Nigerians are still living in a fantasy world were professionals believe they will not be fulfilled except they work for someone else.

The big companies you all want to work started small and if you trace the history of many, they were started by one man. Ask the average Chinese undergraduate what he intends to do when they finish? A large % I have spoken to say they intend setting up their own SME's. I know many Nigerian graduates job searching for the past 10 years. SAD!!! Must you be employed? Can't you become an employer yourself? Some of the companies you send your CV's to were even set up by those who were never privileged to attend University.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Jencejyde(m): 5:04pm On Aug 05, 2011
1stCitizen:

Thanks for your comment. We Nigerians are still living in a fantasy world were professionals believe they will not be fulfilled except they work for someone else.

The big companies you all want to work started small and if you trace the history of many, they were started by one man. Ask the average Chinese undergraduate what he intends to do when they finish? A large % I have spoken to say they intend setting up their own SME's. I know many Nigerian graduates job searching for the past 10 years. SAD!!! Must you be employed? Can't you become an employer yourself? Some of the companies you send your CV's to were even set up by those who were never privileged to attend University.
On point!!
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by dollypi(m): 5:27pm On Aug 05, 2011
Do you know most Lawyers are not even paid close to that 60k you're talking about? Some are paid 30k, after 5 years in school, a year Law school, and then NYSC! some people are know are not even being paid.

If we start with what the typical Engineers, Architects, and even accountant is paid, you'll be shocked.

Those companies pay peanuts, and more often than not, they get monkeys as staff. The sharp people either open their own business alongside their paid employment, or leave to start their own.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by naijacann: 5:31pm On Aug 05, 2011
It is utterly ridiculous.
A friend of mine with a PhD in Computer Science here in Canada got 4 offers of employment from 4 ngrn universities. How much were they gonna pay him? guess.
Just 350k/mth, gosh, dat's just $2300, an amount he makes a wk here.
But guess what, he's currently teaching in a South African university where they pay him an equivalent of 950k naira ($6k) per month.
I think ngr has a long way to go in terms of remunerating and well compensating merit especially if they wish to attract talents.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by ikoha: 5:50pm On Aug 05, 2011
it is very pathetic, i was working with a pharmaceutical company sometime ago, imagine, they were paying my area manager, who was a pharmacist 65k while they were paying other biological scientists including me a biochemist, 55k. though they gave us kia rio as official cars but the salary was nothing to write home about despite the monthly 5k allowance for fuel. then considering the distance (V.I, Yaba, Shomolu, Bariga, Akoka, Ikoyi, Idumota, Gbagada, Obalende, V.G.C, Lekki, Aja, Ibeju-Lekki, Epe, e.t.c) i had to cover as a medical representative, using the word slavery is an understatement.
i have since jettisoned the pharmaceutical profession to something more lucrative.
abeg, stay put where you are unless you are ready to start something of your own, and have enough courage and the financial muscle to wrestle with the hydra-headed monsters of insecurity, infrastructural decadence, and corruption.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by manmustwac(m): 6:03pm On Aug 05, 2011
How much dose a bricklayer earn in nigeria? Is it 500 naira a day? (Correct me if am wrong) but a common bricklayer here in the UK earns on average a 100 pounds a day.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by PapaBrowne(m): 6:36pm On Aug 05, 2011
Too much noisemaking from salary people!! We have heard enuff!! Wetin sef!!! U want to recieve the same amount of money being paid in the US and Canada

Haba people!! China pays pretty little and they are doing pretty good!!

I don't like this "increase my salary mentality" when there is no commensurate increase in productivity!! Companies would close down and you'll have no jobs!! Always look at the big picture!!
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by sirabbey(m): 6:42pm On Aug 05, 2011
A mason alias bricklayer earns on average N2500 to N3000 per day which is approximately 10 to 15 pounds daily. whichever way you look at it, Nigeria underpay her workers, cheat her working population to satisfy the excessive greed of her politicians.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by prefers555: 7:12pm On Aug 05, 2011
@op. Abeg, in case u finally make up your mind 2 settle and invest in nigeria. I am available and willing to be paid $4,000 per month. If this is okay by u. At least dat is just 4% of hw much others around de globe earn. tongue cool grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 05, 2011
I think it's a paradox in some way. On one hand, you may be right to say that professionals are 'underpaid' (i.e. legitimate salaries), but on the other hand, many so-called professionals here (especially in managerial/executive positions) tend to be richer than their counterparts overseas. Most bank directors/CEOs and corporatation executives in Nigeria are richer than their overseas counterparts due to the laxity in financial controls and the widespread corruption in Nigeria. You would see a manager that legally earns N850,000/month but he owns properties worth almost N1b, sends his children to expensive foreign universities, and maintains a luxurious lifestyle with his family. How na? ? ? And this is by no means rare; it is quite common in this country - especially in Lagos. I personally know more than a few of such. That is why I often find it ridiculous when people say corruption in Nigeria is synonymous with politicians; it is probably even worse with these private sector thieves. However, If that is an incentive to want to establish a corporate/professional career in Nigeria (considering the afore-mentioned long-term 'prospects'), dat wan na you sabi.

Other than that, I agree that entry-level graduates (whether professional or not) and lower-management employees are particularly underpaid - sometimes rightly so if you ask me - considering the appalling incompetence of most of these half-baked graduates of nowadays. It's made even worse by the fact that more than half of the entire work force (government or private) in this country did not/do not get employed by merit or personal competence, but through nepotism and the terribly pervasive culture of 'long leg' or 'man-know-man'.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by okooyinbo(m): 7:25pm On Aug 05, 2011
A lot of peope just open their mouth without using their faculty very well. How can you say Nigeria is paying slave wage? What are the basis of comparison with other countries? Are Nigerians as productive as Canadians or even South Africans? Going by the productive output you have in Nigeria, most of these professionals are just overpaid. If you feel Nigerian companies are slavers, dont just bother to apply for a job in Nigeria. Nobody would really miss you. However, if you really wanna help build Nigeria, set up your own business and start paying "master wage" to your employee. I would be interested to know how long that business survives. Nigerians are very greedy people. A lot of them would love to be millionaire even without lifting a finger. One of the reasons corruption has eaten deep into the blood of Nigerians. It is not only a leadership problem.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 05, 2011
Start up a business or production plant of bottled water or something related to the medical proffession,you could import medical furniture and equipment.Its tough here for people in the medical proffession,i once saw a doctor looking for job in Nigeria.I did not understand it at all.so many people are living fak lives over there without savings .They mostly cheat the system,i think some Nigerian leaders have really messed up many generations to come
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Aug 05, 2011
Inflation remains a problem,even if they increase salaries the living expenses in the urban areas remain high and will be washed away
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by dayokanu(m): 8:21pm On Aug 05, 2011
Na so e be for naija oooo
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Gbenge77(m): 8:38pm On Aug 05, 2011
Op,have you heard about casual workers,contract staff, ,.?
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by jenuel: 8:45pm On Aug 05, 2011
In Nigeria, professionals are never appreciated. This is simply because wrong people take decisions and lord them on us all.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by friedrice1: 9:26pm On Aug 05, 2011
manmustwac:

How much dose a bricklayer earn in nigeria? Is it 500 naira a day? (Correct me if am wrong) but a common bricklayer here in the UK earns on average a 100 pounds a day.
Bros, A brick layer in Nigeria earns average 75,000 - 80,000 monthly
A Vulcanizer in a busy street earns N120,000 - N150, 000 monthly
A Good mechanic wouldnt go home everyday with anything less than 7,500 - 10,000
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by jedisco(m): 10:19pm On Aug 05, 2011
Thank God for CONMESS
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by fm7070: 10:34pm On Aug 05, 2011
that's why there is shap practices. there is no profession that doesn't have its chap practices.
those in the financial sector steal money and still balance their accounts
medical sector is a very pathetic story when their secrets are revealed.
Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by Nija4Life(m): 10:57pm On Aug 05, 2011
naijacann:

It is utterly ridiculous.
A friend of mine with a PhD in Computer Science here in Canada got 4 offers of employment from 4 ngrn universities. How much were they gonna pay him? guess.
Just 350k/mth, gosh, dat's just $2300, an amount he makes a wk here.
But guess what, he's currently teaching in a South African university where they pay him an equivalent of 950k naira ($6k) per month.
I think ngr has a long way to go in terms of remunerating and well compensating merit especially if they wish to attract talents.

Just out of interest did your friend take a pay cut to go to South Africa? You said he earns $2300 a week but if you do the sum, it amounts to $9200 a month which is a $3,200 difference. Something doesn't quite add up or am I missing something here?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Professionals So Underpaid In Nigeria? by MPEROR: 11:03pm On Aug 05, 2011
If you make so much in the US, save some of that money. Start a business in Nigeria and pay those graduates what you think they

are worth. This way you will be helping the country by lowering unemployment

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Do I Need To Know As An Aspiring Banker! / Rank Of An Officer Level 14 NDLEA / Employment Contract Fraud In Bank Of Agriculture BOA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.