Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,501 members, 7,781,518 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:03 PM

He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K (17685 Views)

Cleaner Earns N375,000 Monthly In Niger State – Investigation / HELP!!! He Wants To Quit His Job / He Earns More Than Half A Million Per Month Yet He's So Unhappy With His Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 10:27am On Aug 13, 2011
This poster is a BIG LIAR. 30k per month for market is too much. how many people dey the family? (because according to this story its just one wife and one son)
15K AT LEAST DON DO. o over estimate abeg
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by tEsLim(m): 10:29am On Aug 13, 2011
Na hunger go kill ham if him quit the job. Even some so called people in the USA dont earn $1k I tell you dont be deceived. There is no job out there!!!. He should grow up and understand  money is never enough. What should people earning basic salary do? I have an uncle that works local council and maybe earns 20k  with 3 kids they survive and they're not dead or dying of hunger! This guy is blessed and he doesn't even know. I earn a lot more but i tell you its the same principle; I keep the expenses low still and make room for investment with the excesses so the future can be better as time goes.

You can only quit if you find a new job that pays better and all that. But that doesn't guarantee you wont have more WANTS! I think everyone that did science should do some ECONOMICS crash courses. I did! Wants are endless. You can quit for a new job or a tested business. Else na HUNGER you will regret it.

You should learn saving at-least 30k monthly too from that salary. And that wife of yours need get a job. 15k for child upkeep? Do you mean thats the tuition? Isn't same money for food part of child upkeep? I dont know mine goes like

1. Kids tuition (cos my kids dont eat separately) or you mean you shop for cloths monthy? I shop for them mostly when I'm out of the country 2 to 3 times a year only.

2. Food (I've experimented with my woman even if I give her 50k and still buy things extra by myself like bag of rice, bag of this and that etc she still says the money is not enough. And if I reduce the money too she complains the same thing. And I sometimes go to the market myself cheesy somehow helps me update because she always tells me things are getting expensive daily I tire for woman oh! I even do better negotiation with market women than her,  she'll say they'll embarrass her if she prices too much. Well i dont give a bleed ,  i go to the next trader. I repeat if you decide to use 1million naira for food per month you can and if you choose to spend 30k the whole month you will. Do you remember how you where surviving when you had lesser paying job or no job at all? And how is your wife doing it when I pay 30k a month and family of 5 !!!! (excludes cooking gas and other things though, and learn to buy bulk take the car out drive to the market yourself with her at weekends). If you want to give your wife money for her own upkeep separate it and dont mix the two

3. Gas (I stopped putting generator on till morning plus the weather is cool now. So 12am i switch it off and go to bed. I have rechargable fans in each rooms too. I have an inverter that I've not hard time to install. And I have smaller 2.5kva gen wink ,  that ony takes N1,500 for two days even if i put on overnight.

4. Miscellaneous (badly enough my miscellaneous is more than all of the above lol -- selfish me cheesy those are the unaccounted money)

5. Excesses go to the investments (I dont save money in Nigeria to be honest I always have projects, business & construction stuffs. Nigerian banks are useless they're just like piggy banks and nothing more. You cant get anything from them. So I choose to utilize my money than to keep it with them and them trading with my funds
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 13, 2011
tkb417:

the way people are slating this man, you can gauge how many people think

what if the 'hustle' turns to gold and he starts employing you loudmouths grin grin grin grin grin
relax abeg

Nothing new under the sun. Its a risk and he might be far better off when the whole 'shindig" starts

as a civil guy in abuja the land of construction, a sharp guy can get plenty of pp on the side and branch out on his own

it mostly comes to networking

the above assume the hustling is related to his profession. i hope he sha has an idea of what it is he wants to do

cause it sounds to me like he has some friends or colleagues who seem to be 'making it' and he wants something like that without knowing whats going down

Βουκέφαλος:

This poster is a BIG LIAR. 30k per month for market is too much. how many people dey the family? (because according to this story its just one wife and one son)

dude u dey do shopping?
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Natudu: 10:37am On Aug 13, 2011
This guy's case is what many ''middle class' nigerians are facing. He makes 160k. I bet you most banks won't pay you 160k/month. How many other firms can venture 160k if not some oil/gas/telecom/top consulting jobs. The truth is, the same scenario applies to many a familiy in Nigeria and they keep trudging on.
Your friend will need to be realistic. Not all hustlings bring the expected desires. He cannot be so sure it will work out unless he has been pp'ing by the side and earning a huge income. Anything short will be a blatant miscalculation. Most hustling entered with ''red-eye'' as your friend is bound to see, would almost always lead to something he never envisaged. With no savings, he will experience pressure like never seen.
I have learnt that every hustling job with huge pay opportunity will always require some patience and waiting-out. With no much savings, something will have to give and someone will ''lose it''!

My take, he keeps his job and do pp's by the side until he has saved up enough(from the pp's apparently) to take the huge risk.
And, he can tighten up a little. Especially on the work related expenses. I see no reason why he will spend a part of 30k for transport and he's got a car with a fuel budget. He can pack lunch from house and increase wifey's food budget a little.

He should remember a whole lot of people earn way less than 160k and still do more than just survive.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 10:46am On Aug 13, 2011
tEsLim:

You can only quit if you find a new job that pays better and all that. But that doesn't guarantee you wont have more WANTS! I think everyone that did science should do some ECONOMICS crash courses. I did! Wants are endless. You can quit for a new job or a tested business. Else na HUNGER you will regret it.

na so e be o
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Natudu: 10:48am On Aug 13, 2011
Βουκέφαλος:

Guy, i wonder what planet you live in! 15k a month for 2 adults feeding 3 times a day IN A CITY less 20 meals the guy grabs at the office (and assuming the baby is good with the 15k budget) will translate to about 160 meals. 15k will average like N94 per meal! Guy, na wa o!
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Dalby(m): 10:51am On Aug 13, 2011
N100 mama put still dey. Even the mama put woman dey still make profit to feed her family. wink wink wink
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by adefash(m): 10:53am On Aug 13, 2011
in this same lagos my wife goes to the market with 10k: 2k i/4 bag of rice which lasts us 6 weeks,garri ijebu 250/paintbucket we buy 2,semo 420 2kg for a week,beans we buy on weekends 120/derica yam 1500 for the month.we spend n1500 weekends for soup that will last 4 days.we eat fine though i dont have a ride and i still shayo moderately.guy let your wife make extra income before u take that decision so she can be a back up.ok? she can be a back up.ok?
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Natudu: 11:02am On Aug 13, 2011
Dalby:

N100 mama put still dey. Even the mama put woman dey still make profit to feed her family. wink wink wink

Guy,
100 kpai mama put no dey again! And come to think that you be Ph guy. Abeg show me make i go chop there. Just hope i go still dey alive to come report case of "nta na imo" wey i go catch from the N100 chaw. And even at that, the mama put makes profit from scale of her cooking and most times on the source of the food materials (you most likely won't like to know in what state she gets them).
Try cooking more that 2-3 meals at a time and see how your generator expenses (from refridgeration) go skyrocket.

O boy, come see where men dey arrange chaw economics! Na wa o! I dey even laff for hia!
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Omega89: 11:07am On Aug 13, 2011
All the advices here are authentic craps. All advices are centred on managing poverty not creating wealth.
We all know the rule of paying yourself first and having a savings at the end of the day.
The real koko is what to do with the saving knowing that almost 95% of businesses pack up in their first year of start up even in the US.
Most pple sending in replies here are in a bigger financial mess so u guys come up with effective business mgt skills not poverty mgt skills
Personally I don't believe in living a lower quality of life for the sake of saving more money. I believe in making more by managing by biz better, So leave the guy alone. Who knows? He might have been inspired by an idea. Most great guys started by quiting their routine jobs for none.the desperate need that might arise due to lack of funds can force him to think outside the box and become creative. Say NO to ROUTINE!!!!ide the box and become creative. Say NO to ROUTINE!!!!
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Natudu: 11:08am On Aug 13, 2011
adefash:

in this same lagos my wife goes to the market with 10k: 2k i/4 bag of rice which lasts us 6 weeks,garri ijebu 250/paintbucket we buy 2,semo 420 2kg for a week,beans we buy on weekends 120/derica yam 1500 for the month.we spend n1500 weekends for soup that will last 4 days.we eat fine though i dont have a ride and i still shayo moderately.guy let your wife make extra income before u take that decision so she can be a back up.ok? she can be a back up.ok?

Chief, your quotation don pass 15k for a month and i no even consider say the soup na for just 4 days in a week o! grin
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 13, 2011
adefash:

in this same lagos my wife goes to the market with 10k:

2k i/4 bag of rice which lasts us 6 weeks,

garri ijebu 250/paintbucket we buy 2,

semo 420 2kg for a week,

beans we buy on weekends 120/

derica yam 1500 for the month.

we spend n1500 weekends for soup that will last 4 days.

we eat fine though i dont have a ride and i still shayo moderately.guy let your wife make extra income before u take that decision so she can be a back up.ok? she can be a back up.ok?

the food does not add up to a months consumption

the 1500 soup for 4 days translates to 30/4 = 7.5

7.5 x 1500 = roughly 11k on soup for a month

you also did not add meat/fish

pure /eva water nko?

no fruit?
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Natudu: 11:11am On Aug 13, 2011
Omega89:

All the advices here are authentic craps. All advices are centred on managing poverty not creating wealth.
We all know the rule of paying yourself first and having a savings at the end of the day.
The real koko is what to do with the saving knowing that almost 95% of businesses pack up in their first year of start up even in the US.
Most pple sending in replies here are in a bigger financial mess so u guys come up with effective business mgt skills not poverty mgt skills
Personally I don't believe in living a lower quality of life for the sake of saving more money. I believe in making more by managing by biz better, So leave the guy alone. Who knows? He might have been inspired by an idea. Most great guys started by quiting their routine jobs for none.the desperate need that might arise due to lack of funds can force him to think outside the box and become creative. Say NO to ROUTINE!!!!ide the box and become creative. Say NO to ROUTINE!!!!

Aboki,
When your ''ROUTINE'' bothers on keeping your family, you will think twice before you say NO! Keep feeding us with those out of the book ''go-get-it'' message. We have also been there, bro. sad
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 11:13am On Aug 13, 2011
Omega89:

The real koko  is what to do with the saving knowing that almost 95% of  businesses pack up in their first year of start up even in the US.  
Personally I don't believe in living a lower quality of life for the sake of saving more money. I believe in making more by managing by biz better,  So leave the guy alone. Who knows? He might have been inspired by an idea. Most great guys started by quiting their routine jobs for none.the desperate need that might arise due to lack of funds can force him to think outside the box and become creative.  Say NO to ROUTINE!!!!ide the box and become creative.  Say NO to ROUTINE!!!!

the spamming of the thread by the  wealth creation rich dad poor dad parrots was inevitable  tongue

omega abeg show us how to create wealth with visa to dubai (which they issue at entry point) , visa to cuba - wetin man dey find there - Guantanamo bay ?
nonsense.

Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Dalby(m): 11:20am On Aug 13, 2011
Natudu:

Guy,
100 kpai mama put no dey again! And come to think that you be Ph guy. Abeg show me make i go chop there. Just hope i go still dey alive to come report case of "nta na imo" wey i go catch from the N100 chaw. And even at that, the mama put makes profit from scale of her cooking and most times on the source of the food materials (you most likely won't like to know in what state she gets them).
Try cooking more that 2-3 meals at a time and see how your generator expenses (from refridgeration) go skyrocket.

O boy, come see where men dey arrange chaw economics! Na wa o! I dey even laff for hia!

We pay the security company at my office N35k for supervisor and N30k for normal guards. The company in turns pays 60% to the guards. The elderly supervisor has a family and comes to work every day. He is not contemplating resignation lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 11:29am On Aug 13, 2011
Dalby:

We pay the security company at my office N35k for supervisor and N30k for normal guards. The company in turns pays 60% to the guards. The elderly supervisor has a family and comes to work every day. He is not contemplating resignation lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

how can he - hes on the wrong side of thirty, has  no marketable skills

if u let him go its beyond finito

and i don't need to remind you 35k is something below the bare essentials

family will be crammed into a one bedroom face me i face you, communal bathroom, okada as vehicle, rubbish state school where the children are miseducated, i pass my neighbour if they are lucky, constant risk of death from fumes, house collapse, if anyone has big illness na to dey beg for road, queuing up and struggling for kerosene , randy neighbours molesting his daughters, son becoming a thug, begging people for money for school fees

nigerian nightmare  sad sad
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by CHEUARIN: 11:32am On Aug 13, 2011
WITHOUT FINANCIAL DISCIPLINE, INCOME IS PROPORTIONAL TO EXPENDITURE;

SOME EMPLOYEE SWEAT AND EARN 50K PER MONTH, YET ARE DOING GREAT;

WITH LITTLE OR NO STRESS IN TWO WEEKS, SOME OTHERS EARN 8OOK OR MORE AND ARE NEVER SATISFIED;

BRO, AS A PROFESSIONAL (CIVIL ENGR.), START WITH SMALL CONTRACTS ESPECIALLY IN BUILDING;

ENSURE THAT YOUR COMPLETED JOBS ADVERTISE YOU;

SURELY YOU WILL GROW;

BEING SELF-EMPLOYED IS THE KEY;

START A BUSINESS FOR YOUR WITH IF SHE HAD BEEN A FULL TIME HOUSE WIFE;

PLEASE TAKE NOTE, DO FAMILY PLANNING.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by 1forall: 11:35am On Aug 13, 2011
chai oyb, LMAO. .
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Natudu: 11:39am On Aug 13, 2011
We pay the security company at my office N35k for supervisor and N30k for normal guards. The company in turns pays 60% to the guards. The elderly supervisor has a family and comes to work every day. He is not contemplating resignation

You want to know how he does live, right? Ask him. I bet you won't want to know. Pay him a visit one weekend. Buy him a beer and make him talk to you from the heart and see if you can sleep that night!

I pay my gateman 15K and he is single and lives in my house. I know what he eats, the life he lives and when he gets broke. My bros, lets get real.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by niceG: 11:46am On Aug 13, 2011
Guy abeg tell am make we xchange jobs, since him no know say ppl dey wey dey do all tins with less than 100k shocked.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by surveycash(m): 11:55am On Aug 13, 2011
I admire his courage. That is the fastest way to become a self acclaimed millionaire though the path is not a juicy one. Only one with courage, persistence and determination can thread through it successfully.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by muyoto: 11:59am On Aug 13, 2011
CHEUARIN:

WITHOUT FINANCIAL DISCIPLINE, INCOME IS PROPORTIONAL TO EXPENDITURE;

SOME EMPLOYEE SWEAT AND EARN 50K PER MONTH, YET ARE DOING GREAT;

WITH LITTLE OR NO STRESS IN TWO WEEKS, SOME OTHERS EARN 8OOK OR MORE AND ARE NEVER SATISFIED;

BRO, AS A PROFESSIONAL (CIVIL ENGR.), START WITH SMALL CONTRACTS ESPECIALLY IN BUILDING;

abeg cut the motivational crap. 50k month and doing well?

pray, explain what you mean be 'well'

imagine someone saying he should move to a house of 13k per month! Abeg where for Naija

the guy is asking for real advise, not motivational carp
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 12:12pm On Aug 13, 2011
Natudu:

Guy, i wonder what planet you live in! 15k a month for 2 adults feeding 3 times a day IN A CITY less 20 meals the guy grabs at the office (and assuming the baby is good with the 15k budget) will translate to about 160 meals. 15k will average like N94 per meal! Guy, na wa o!

30k is still over estimated . patapata 20k a month for food. just 2 people haba! 30 days pere? na golden beans and rice dem dey buy??
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 13, 2011
they guy claims say he dey chop lunch for work that means say na like 2 meals he dey eat at home a day. so it isnt mathematically possible to spend 30k a month for market bar. the wife dey use hin head scatter.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by ifyalways(f): 12:23pm On Aug 13, 2011
The only real way out I see for the guy is[b] networking.[/b]

Quitting his current job  for nothing is not just plain silly but suicidal.No matter what the wife is earning,dude just have to hang in there,start his side runs/hustling from where he is right now and push harder.

30k  for food,IMO is not too much.I'm in lagos and sometimes shop at the normal open market with bargaining facilities and all i can say is wow . . . things are pretty expensive here.3-4 tiny tubers of yam for 1K,cup of egusi goes for N150,the smallest of mackerel fish is N150 etc.btwn,If his office is equipped with a kitchenette et microwave,he can bring lunch along.(must he even have lunch?)
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by montelik(m): 12:24pm On Aug 13, 2011
D fact is that cost of living is not going to get lower anytime soon, it will just keep rising. Cutting his expenditures means a lower quality of life for his family, which brings in extra money but also more discomfort, stress and other problems. I know a guy who was too busy trying to cut to d barest minimum. All d money he saved eventually went to hospital bills (stress, sickness and worry) and lost productivity. Moving to cheaper accommodation might bring about more security costs and risks, increased transportation costs, feeding cost as well as other knock on effects. What is obvious is that he can't continue like he is, it is too risky.

If he wants to quit he has to be absolutely sure of what he plans to do and how he plans to achieve it. If he is quitting simply cos he is frustrated, then I would warn against it, but if he sees a genuine & viable opportunity in his "hustle" that he believes can work for his situation, then he should go for it. Of course he better have an alternate plan of survival to sustain him during d rough transition period.

No risk, no reward. God dey.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 12:25pm On Aug 13, 2011
ifyalways:

The only real way out I see for the guy is[b] networking.[/b]

Quitting his current job  for nothing is not just plain silly but suicidal.No matter what the wife is earning,dude just have to hang in there,start his side runs/hustling from where he is right now and push harder.

30k  for food,IMO is not too much.I'm in lagos and sometimes shop at the normal open market with bargaining facilities and all i can say is wow . . . things are pretty expensive here.3-4 tiny tubers of yam for 1K,cup of egusi goes for N150,the smallest of mackerel fish is N150 etc.btwn,If his office is equipped with a kitchenette et microwave,he can bring lunch along.(must he even have lunch?)

the guy budgeted lunch differently from the 30k food bar .  so which means this estimates is just one big fallacy.
haba!!
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by ElderLoLo: 12:29pm On Aug 13, 2011
the only advise i can give to my friend earning 160k is to be prudent in his spending, 1st  and foremost look for the moderate accommodation that will be reasonable in price, secondly, u should erase that aspect of SHAYO and look critically the remaining area u feel it needs to be adjusted. Aboro lanso fun omoluabi to badenu e yio di odidi, pls dont quit yet or else other one is waiting for u somewhere,
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 12:32pm On Aug 13, 2011
as much as i would like to comment on this guys problems, I would still want the OP to tweak this estimates. it is FAKE.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Sike(m): 12:43pm On Aug 13, 2011
Na im Sabi. . Some people neva get d chance
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 13, 2011
Βουκέφαλος:

as much as i would like to comment on this guys problems, I would still want the OP to tweak this estimates. it is FAKE.

post stated said wife takes 30k to market

you think its food alone?

bathing soap, detergent, toilet cleaner, vim, toothpaste,washing soap, shoe polish, spray starch, car soap, dustbin bag, deodorant, broom, sponges, etc etc etc

does not even include stuff the guy did not mention - engine oil for car and gen, servicing of same,

u never see nada - next thing you will say 15k is too small for the baby

a box of huggies diapers (american spec) for a big baby comes to 12k. that does not include wipes, tins of cerelac, peak 123, baby powder, baby soap etc

you can always decide to opt for the cheaper ones, and cope with nappy rash and sores on your baby's bum.
Re: He Wants To Quit Because He Earns 'only' 160K by Nobody: 12:56pm On Aug 13, 2011
oyb:

post stated said wife takes 30k to market

you think its food alone?

bathing soap, detergent, toilet cleaner, vim, toothpaste,washing soap, shoe polish, spray starch, car soap, dustbin bag, deodorant, broom, sponges, etc etc etc

does not even include stuff the guy did not mention - engine oil for car and gen, servicing of same,

u never see nada - next thing you will say 15k is too small for the baby

a box of huggies diapers (american spec) for a big baby comes to 12k. that does not include wipes, tins of cerelac, peak 123, baby powder, baby soap etc

you can always decide to opt for the cheaper ones, and cope with nappy rash and sores on your baby's bum.

mr chike obi, i am doing the calculations too
He had another budget for baby stuffs. which is 15k.
patapata na 20k for market jere. for 30 days. u sef look am nar

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Should I Take This Deal...? I Need Advice Please / Situations Nigerian Workers Can Relate To (Pictures) / Why Are Men Not Helping Each Other To Become Better Men?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.