Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,398 members, 7,781,146 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 09:42 AM

Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? (38791 Views)

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 12:59pm On Dec 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

I'm only being realistic here and also going by researched facts and findings, in addition to my own personal relationship with and observation of Edo state people, and not by some hearsay 'my great grand father in the village told me'.

So it's white men who know nothing that would come and tell u who ur people are.

If ur Great grand father in the village can't, I pity the condition of such people.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 1:05pm On Dec 17, 2013
StarFlux: This whole thread is ridiculous. I see people claiming Edo to be a dialect of Yoruba and so on. Edo and Yoruba are two distinct languages, fairly different from each other.

Just because you find similar words here and there does not mean these languages are the same or dialects of each other, tell me: have you ever come by a language that does not borrow words? Core vocabulary is still distinct.

No one ever said. Edo is a Yoruba dialect.

My point is, Even about the people in general not language.
So many people called Yoruba today have nothing to do with Yoruba other than they speak Yoruba as a second or third language in their town

I gave examples- Owo and Ekiti are not Yoruba at all, they only speak Yoruba as a second language.

I used the logic that if edo is not in the same ethnic group as Owo, Ondo, Akure, Ilaje, Ekiti etc. then all of them can claim to be ethnic groups of their own especially the large ones like Ekiti, Ijesha, Ijebu

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 1:51pm On Dec 17, 2013
macof:

No one ever said. Edo is a Yoruba dialect.

My point is, Even about the people in general not language.
So many people called Yoruba today have nothing to do with Yoruba other than they speak Yoruba as a second or third language in their town

I gave examples- Owo and Ekiti are not Yoruba at all, they only speak Yoruba as a second language.

I used the logic that if edo is not in the same ethnic group as Owo, Ondo, Akure, Ilaje, Ekiti etc. then all of them can claim to be ethnic groups of their own especially the large ones like Ekiti, Ijesha, Ijebu

Exactly, Igbo and Yoruba are not the same language or dialect but I'm free to classify yoruba as an Igbo sub group baa? Afterall, there are so many Igbo words common to Yoruba such as Nti/Eti, gbajie/baje, ozugo/otito, onu/enu. Yoruba is to Igbo what Ekpeye in Rivers state is to Igbo.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 1:51pm On Dec 17, 2013
macof:

So it's white men who know nothing that would come and tell u who ur people are.

If ur Great grand father in the village can't, I pity the condition of such people.

Oral histories are great sources of folk tales but are dynamically subject to that human aspect of paraphrasing till the original and true story is almost totally distorted.

I understand that you're trying to be loyal to your culture but come to think of it, which deep-thinking man who's self aware and knows who he truly is believes that his ancestor fell from the sky?
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 2:10pm On Dec 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Exactly, Igbo and Yoruba are not the same language or dialect but I'm free to classify yoruba as an Igbo sub group baa? Afterall, there are so many Igbo words common to Yoruba such as Nti/Eti, gbajie/baje, ozugo/otito, onu/enu. Yoruba is to Igbo what Ekpeye in Rivers state is to Igbo.

This is just plain silly

did I use language to incorporate any tribe. I showed u points that make ekiti a non-Yoruba dialect but a different language of it's own.
Because if that's the base Ewe language of Cote d'ivoire has Yoruba words- clean and exact Yoruba words
Not the charade u doing with Igbo/Yoruba

Those words u compared above aren't the same. And there's no binding cultural or historical ties between Oyo and Igbo. Who ever heard Oyo and Aba people standing in one place talkless of people called one people

Edo on the other hand have a large population who speak Owo and Yoruba language as second or third languages.
And I didn't claim Edo to be Yoruba, because I know that's wat u can't get off ur mind.

I don't claim peoples land, In fact even if I did it would be for nothing. Edo is not Yoruba, just like Ijesha or any non-Oyo is not Yoruba

I see you don't know anything about tribal and ethnic peer ups

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 2:21pm On Dec 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Oral histories are great sources of folk tales but are dynamically subject to that human aspect of paraphrasing till the original and true story is almost totally distorted.

I understand that you're trying to be loyal to your culture but come to think of it, which deep-thinking man who's self aware and knows who he truly is believes that his ancestor fell from the sky?

Yoruba history and origins are very profound in Oral history. No one can come and tell me poo that my father and uncles didn't tell

And who believes his ancestors fell from then sky
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 2:21pm On Dec 17, 2013
macof:

This is just plain silly

Exactly. I wanted you to realize how silly you've been arguing since.

#Mirrors.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 2:35pm On Dec 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Exactly. I wanted you to realize how silly you've been arguing since.

#Mirrors.

I find it very useless talking to an Igbo about Yoruba issues.

I see u have a hard time understanding matters so I'll just hit my conclusion and lay this to rest

Ethnic identity is a choice
No non-Oyo is Yoruba, we only choose to be called "Yoruba" for the sake of "Oneness"

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 3:11pm On Dec 17, 2013
Edos that grew up in Lagos and SW who speak yoruba as second or third language have suddenly become yorubas baa? Even some of the Igbos who grew up in Lagos who speak Yoruba are Yorubas too, right?

#Mirrors
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 3:13pm On Dec 17, 2013
macof:

Yoruba history and origins are very profound in Oral history. No one can come and tell me poo that my father and uncles didn't tell

And who believes his ancestors fell from then sky

That's what your folklore says. And I've seen you countlessly parading the belief on nairaland.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 3:37pm On Dec 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

That's what your folklore says. And I've seen you countlessly parading the belief on nairaland.

Wat do u know about Yoruba folklore? You see ur problem is dat u don't know a single thing about anything Yoruba but u act like u know.

That's why I see it's useless arguing wat u have no idea about.

No such stories of my ancestors falling from the sky, humans don't fall from the sky.
I never claim anybody fell from the sky, unless u mean Oduduwa.
and that's the case it just goes to prove that u don't understand wat I post.
Oduduwa here isn't a man but a creator force. The very dark energy which Carries subatomic molecules around the universe causing the formation of matter and ever expanding nature of the galaxy.
This is science as a profound source of spirituality and not History

Learn to differentiate Spirituality and history.

Oduduwa(the human) came from the east of Ife- modern research states possibly Iwo or Igodomigodo not fell from the sky.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 3:40pm On Dec 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Wat do u know about Yoruba folklore? You see ur problem is dat u don't know a single thing about anything Yoruba but u act like u know.

No such stories of my ancestors falling from the sky, humans don't fall from the sky.
and if that's the case it just goes to prove that u don't understand wat I post.
Oduduwa here isn't a man but a creator force. The very dark energy which Carries subatomic molecules around the universe causing the formation of matter and ever expanding nature of the galaxy.

Oduduwa(the human) came from the east of Ife- modern research states possibly Iwo or Igodomigodo not fell from the sky.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 3:42pm On Dec 17, 2013
bigfrancis21: Edos that grew up in Lagos and SW who speak yoruba as second or third language have suddenly become yorubas baa? Even some of the Igbos who grew up in Lagos who speak Yoruba are Yorubas too, right?

#Mirrors

This is going no where.
your opinion is worthless so I better leave this talk since u don't accept education
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 4:03pm On Dec 17, 2013
macof:

This is going no where.
your opinion is worthless so I better leave this talk since u don't accept education

Hahaha! Is that a sleek way of slyly dodging the facts presented to you?

Please sir, for your argument whatsoever to hold water, you'll have to provide evidence of Edos born and bred in Edo state and born to both Edo parents who speak yoruba as native language or general yoruba in identification with their yoruba ancestry. I don't mean Edos who grew up in the SW who adopt speak Yoruba just as Igbos, Ibibios, Hausas who grew up in SW speak Yoruba as well.

You see how you're the one stabbing yourself in the back with half-baked facts that are all in your head.

You've ignorantly chosen not to accept that Edo languages are very different from Yoruba, just as Igbo and Hausa languages are. Iwo or Ekiti are mere yoruba dialects because they share more than 60% in common with general yoruba.

Of course, I expect you to keep arguing aimlessly and running around in circles. Its of no use arguing to an Igbo guy about yoruba issues, according to you, yet you'll keep on arguing.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 4:04pm On Dec 17, 2013
macof:

and if that's the case it just goes to prove that u don't understand wat I post.

Hahaha. This is the most funny thing I've heard today. You're trying to discredit my experience of learning the yoruba history in CRK when I was in junior secondary? cheesy History is well written in many books about how Oduduwa, the so-called progenitor of the yoruba race, fell from the sky. Oduduwa climbed down an iron chain that had been hung
from the sky to the watery land below. He carried from the
sky above a snail-shell full of soil, a five-toed chicken,
and a chameleon. He emptied out the soil, and the dry land
was formed by the chicken kicking the soil around as he
searched for food. The chameleon tested the land to see if
it was firm. And then Orishanla (now sober) created
human beings, while Oduduwa formed the rest of the
living world.

You're trying to tell me you've never heard of this story before? Or your great grand father didn't tell you of this well-popular story? grin

http://bridgesandtangents./tag/yoruba/
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nowenuse: 4:36pm On Dec 17, 2013
StarFlux: This whole thread is ridiculous. I see people claiming Edo to be a dialect of Yoruba and so on. Edo and Yoruba are two distinct languages, fairly different from each other.

Just because you find similar words here and there does not mean these languages are the same or dialects of each other, tell me: have you ever come by a language that does not borrow words? Core vocabulary is still distinct.

Mr, there is really nothin like an Edo language or a yoruba language. There r only edo nd yoruba dialects. Edo ppl speak languages dat r difrent nd similar 2each oda. Bini (edo south) and Etsakor (edo north) for instance can not understnd each oda. Evn among d etsakors, there r difrent etsakor dialects who cannot understnd each oda well. There r also Esan, owan, akoko-edo e.t.c. Edo ppl only profess a comon ancestry from d ancient bini kingdom, many of dem do nt evn agree to a comon ethnicity. Som bini ppl prefer 2b called Bini than Edo, same with som Ishan e.t.c. So with dat, I dnt think we shuld expect the yoruba ethnicity to be a homogenous ppl and language.
Surprsinly Egun ppl r today clasified as a yoruba sub-group 2geda with d aworis as Egun-awori, whereas it is very clear dat Egun ppl are of Dahomian (benin republic) origin.
So I really support Macof sayin dat Owo or Ekiti sub-groups of yoruba culd b closer to Bini inflences than yoruba (oyo) influences.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nowenuse: 4:47pm On Dec 17, 2013
I think som of u r quite mistakin it. In some parts of Edo state, yoruba is used as a general language, especially in Akoko-edo LGA, parts of Edo north senatorial district. These ppl share boundary with Ondo n Kogi state.
In Akoko-edo and Owan east nd west LGAs, many of dem use yoruba as a lingua franca, they are not one tribe but different tribes. Any igarra person u find from Akoko-edo LGA is fluent in his language (igarra) and also yoruba.
What makes a language a second language is d fact dat u can learn it from ur own hometown which r not natives of d language. Just like Platea or Nasarawa ppl, these ppl r not hausas at all, they have their own various languages but use hausa as a general language amongst demselvs, so they grow up learning hausa in their own hometown and home-villages which r not natively hausas. Same tin with som ppl of Edo north. They evn answer yoruba names very very well.
Anybody who hv stayed in these places nd lived with d ppl can attest 2it. Though the yoruba they speak does not affect their own individual native languages and cultures.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Pharoh: 5:01pm On Dec 17, 2013
It is very surprising to me that some people will talk about igbo languages here on this thread and keep shouting about igbo dialects in another thread. grin

@Macof

The languages doesn't have to be similar or the people for them to form a union in post Nigeria and even if they do not form, i believe the relationship between Yoruba and edo will be good and beneficial.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 5:07pm On Dec 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Hahaha. This is the most funny thing I've heard today. You're trying to discredit my experience of learning the yoruba history in CRK when I was in junior secondary? cheesy History is well written in many books about how Oduduwa, the so-called progenitor of the yoruba race, fell from the sky. Oduduwa climbed down an iron chain that had been hung
from the sky to the watery land below. He carried from the
sky above a snail-shell full of soil, a five-toed chicken,
and a chameleon. He emptied out the soil, and the dry land
was formed by the chicken kicking the soil around as he
searched for food. The chameleon tested the land to see if
it was firm. And then Orishanla (now sober) created
human beings, while Oduduwa formed the rest of the
living world.

You're trying to tell me you've never heard of this story before? Or your great grand father didn't tell you of this well-popular story? grin

http://bridgesandtangents./tag/yoruba/

True this is the story.
But this thread is culture and language if you want to learn Yoruba spirituality u visit the religion section and follow my post carefully.

The creation story isn't literal but symbolic representations

U act like Igbo doesn't have it's own symbolism in it's creation story.
Well am beginning to not take u seriously anymore

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 5:23pm On Dec 17, 2013
Nowenuse:

Mr, there is really nothin like an Edo language or a yoruba language. There r only edo nd yoruba dialects. Edo ppl speak languages dat r difrent nd similar 2each oda. Bini (edo south) and Etsakor (edo north) for instance can not understnd each oda. Evn among d etsakors, there r difrent etsakor dialects who cannot understnd each oda well. There r also Esan, owan, akoko-edo e.t.c. Edo ppl only profess a comon ancestry from d ancient bini kingdom, many of dem do nt evn agree to a comon ethnicity. Som bini ppl prefer 2b called Bini than Edo, same with som Ishan e.t.c. So with dat, I dnt think we shuld expect the yoruba ethnicity to be a homogenous ppl and language.
Surprsinly Egun ppl r today clasified as a yoruba sub-group 2geda with d aworis as Egun-awori, whereas it is very clear dat Egun ppl are of Dahomian (benin republic) origin.
So I really support Macof sayin dat Owo or Ekiti sub-groups of yoruba culd b closer to Bini inflences than yoruba (oyo) influences.

"Yoruba people" as it's known today don't have One language. Some Yoruba people speak languages From Edo as second or third languages just as some Edo speak Yoruba(Oyo) as second or third language.
Even Bini and Isan understand Owo language better than Oyo because the language is similar, yet Owo people call themselves Yoruba.
Owo has nothing do to with Oyo except common origin.
That's wat I've been saying and francis makes no sense out of.
Probably because he thinks am trying to claim Edo for Yoruba.

@francis read this post carefully at least let ur tribal hate rest
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 5:24pm On Dec 17, 2013
Nowenuse:

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 5:37pm On Dec 17, 2013
Nowenuse: I think som of u r quite mistakin it. In some parts of Edo state, yoruba is used as a general language, especially in Akoko-edo LGA, parts of Edo north senatorial district. These ppl share boundary with Ondo n Kogi state.
In Akoko-edo and Owan east nd west LGAs, many of dem use yoruba as a lingua franca, they are not one tribe but different tribes. Any igarra person u find from Akoko-edo LGA is fluent in his language (igarra) and also yoruba.
What makes a language a second language is d fact dat u can learn it from ur own hometown which r not natives of d language. Just like Platea or Nasarawa ppl, these ppl r not hausas at all, they have their own various languages but use hausa as a general language amongst demselvs, so they grow up learning hausa in their own hometown and home-villages which r not natively hausas. Same tin with som ppl of Edo north. They evn answer yoruba names very very well.
Anybody who hv stayed in these places nd lived with d ppl can attest 2it. Though the yoruba they speak does not affect their own individual native languages and cultures.

Good point to throw in

I think Akoko people are hybrids of Akure and Bini because there's a blend of both cultures but Akoko speaks Yoruba(Oyo) as a second language not even Bini or Akure.

Wats happening in the North is also something to think about. Most(if not all) Bariba tribe people of the Borgu ethnic group speaks Hausa as a second language and Yoruba(Oyo) as Third. They learn these languages in their own town not in Kano or Lagos.

Same with Nupe
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 6:48pm On Dec 17, 2013
Nowenuse: I think som of u r quite mistakin it. In some parts of Edo state, yoruba is used as a general language, especially in Akoko-edo LGA, parts of Edo north senatorial district. These ppl share boundary with Ondo n Kogi state.

Of course, I know already about the Akoko Edos who are communities that live along the border of Edo and Ondo states and some speak yoruba. I wanted to include particularly in my previous write up not to make reference to this group. The akoko-edos were already speaking yoruba way before the creation of ogun and edo states(states of which are artificial) and they found themselves in edo and decided to call themselves akoko edos. Their brothers who are in ogun state call themselves akoko. The same phenomenon is also observed among the Igbo-Ibibio communities between Abia and Akwa Ibom state who speak Igbo and Ibibio together. Such is bound to happen. Or the Igbo-Igala communities along Anambra-Kogi borders who speak Igbo and Igala at the same time.

I was asking for evidence of core edo state people who speak yoruba natively. And you couldn't bring up any.

And when I said Edo languages, I know why I said it. I was referring to the respective Edo state languages such as Bini, Ishan, Etsakor, Afemai etc. So all the long write ups about the languages are extraneous and unnecessary. I, myself, have been to Edo state severally and I have many Edo friends, and I speak from both experience and research. And no one, not even one, has ever claimed he's yoruba. They'll proudly tell you they are bini, eshan, etc
from Edo state. And I've never met any who speaks yoruba. Usually pidgin English, English and maybe their native language.

Macof has failed to provide concrete evidence to his 'many edos speak yoruba' claim after asking him to provide evidence which alludes to core edo natives born and bred all their lives in edo state who speak yoruba in identification with their yoruba ancestry.

If you and macof are making reference to this akoko group who live along the borders with ondo state and use them to generalize as your so-called 'edo people are a sub group of yoruba', then you have just failed in proving your points and have made no point whatsoever. If you paraphrase your statement to 'akoko edos' are a sub-clan of yoruba, then that might seem plausible. But if its to claim that binis, ishans, afemais, etsakos etc are all yoruba sub clans, then you're truly illusioned.

I've noticed this strong penchant by Yorubas to claim Edo state people - a people who don't speak or understand yoruba natively unless they make efforts to learn it, and a people who speak entirely different languages which can be likened to how hausa and Igbo are different from yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 6:53pm On Dec 17, 2013
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 8:56pm On Dec 17, 2013
undecided wat freaking proof is this one asking?
As I said before, I am not claiming Edo for Yoruba- it's all up in ur head as ur mentality is wired to see threats coming from Yoruba side

I simply say "Edo is as non-Yoruba as Ekiti, Owo and so many other non-Oyo"

So if u claim edo is not in the same ethnic group you should also claim Ijesha, Ijebu, Owo, Yagba, Igbomina etc. are not part of the same ethnic group

I have traveled to all major Towns in yorubaland(as it is known today).
Since you like lanuguages. Here's a distinction in the basic words

Greetings
Eko Awori- Bawo ni
Ijebu- Eweso
Ekiti- Era
Ibadan- Enle
Yagba- Okun
Oyo- Eku...
Egba- Bawa
Yewa- Kitigbe

All different words, only similar ones are Egba/Awori

Let me tell u about Akoko...they pay homoge to Oba of Bini, as they have always because they are also half bini in Origin. They greet him in Yoruba(Oyo) and responds with blessings.
Akoko people don't speak bini or any language other than Akoko and Yoruba(Oyo).

In Europe, The Romans spoke Greek and also wrote in Greek as it even seemed Greek was on equal usage with Latin and not as an established No. 2.

The Akoko also speak Oyo not as a No. 2 but on the same level with their own language.

And there are No akoko in Ogun state, I don't know where u get dat from undecided
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by shigoslim(m): 10:53pm On Dec 17, 2013
We dnt Ned to fight, i study history through out my education, history made it Clare that edo ppl are yoruba, but i dnt hve time to state here how they were refere to yoruba but for political reason they admit that they are not yoruba.

For more clarification go to wikpidia, also you can't differentiate their culture bkos both hve similar culture only dialect separate them. That why they fast to speak yoruba fluently.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nowenuse: 11:01pm On Dec 17, 2013
macof:

Good point to throw in

I think Akoko people are hybrids of Akure and Bini because there's a blend of both cultures but Akoko speaks Yoruba(Oyo) as a second language not even Bini or Akure.

Wats happening in the North is also something to think about. Most(if not all) Bariba tribe people of the Borgu ethnic group speaks Hausa as a second language and Yoruba(Oyo) as Third. They learn these languages in their own town not in Kano or Lagos.

Same with Nupe

Yes, akoko ppl (both akoko in Ondo nd akoko edo) are kind of like hybrids btw d bini nd yoruba (oyo) culture/language.

Bariba, bokobaru, bussawa, Borgu e.t.c mostly speak yoruba as a second language as they r mostly found in northern kwara. Evn d ones in Niger state likely speak yoruba as a second language more than hausa. Only d tribes in Northern nd eastern Niger state likely speak Hausa as a second language. Infact many Bariba ppl hv been yorubanised. They are a ppl believd 2b of Nupe ancestry, heavily influenced by yoruba.
Only Nupes in Kwara and very few in Kogi r likely to speak yoruba as a second language pls, and when I mean second language, I mean they can learn it from their own hometowns which r not natively yoruba. Nupes in Niger hardly speak yoruba or evn hausa as a second language. That's why almost evry settler there learn to speak nupe to converse.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nowenuse: 11:07pm On Dec 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Of course, I know already about the Akoko Edos who are communities that live along the border of Edo and Ondo states and some speak yoruba. I wanted to include particularly in my previous write up not to make reference to this group. The akoko-edos were already speaking yoruba way before the creation of ogun and edo states(states of which are artificial) and they found themselves in edo and decided to call themselves akoko edos. Their brothers who are in ogun state call themselves akoko. The same phenomenon is also observed among the Igbo-Ibibio communities between Abia and Akwa Ibom state who speak Igbo and Ibibio together. Such is bound to happen. Or the Igbo-Igala communities along Anambra-Kogi borders who speak Igbo and Igala at the same time.

Pls understnd d difference my broda. The igalas at d border areas with igbos who speak igbo do not use it as a lingua franca, bt mayb a scond language, unlike the akoko-edo tribes who use it as a lingua-franca.
There should be up to 5 difrent indigenous cultures/languages in dat Akoko-edo LGA if I'm nt mistakin. I know Okpamehri, Igarra and Ososo very well, nd I must tell u, if an igarra man meets an Okpamehri man, they are most likely to speak yoruba with each oda in dat their akoko-edo LGA because their own individual languages r very distinct.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 11:23pm On Dec 17, 2013
shigo slim: We dnt Ned to fight, i study history through out my education, history made it Clare that edo ppl are yoruba, but i dnt hve time to state here how they were refere to yoruba but for political reason they admit that they are not yoruba.

For more clarification go to wikpidia, also you can't differentiate their culture bkos both hve similar culture only dialect separate them. That why they fast to speak yoruba fluently.

The same wikipedia which recognizes the distinctness between Edo and Yoruba and classifies them as such?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edoid_languages
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoruboid_languages
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nowenuse: 11:24pm On Dec 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

...I was asking for evidence of core edo state people who speak yoruba natively. And you couldn't bring up any.

And when I said Edo languages, I know why I said it. I was referring to the respective Edo state languages such as Bini, Ishan, Etsakor, Afemai etc. So all the long write ups about the languages are extraneous and unnecessary. I, myself, have been to Edo state severally and I have many Edo friends, and I speak from both experience and research. And no one, not even one, has ever claimed he's yoruba. They'll proudly tell you they are bini, eshan, etc
from Edo state. And I've never met any who speaks yoruba. Usually pidgin English, English and maybe their native language.

Macof has failed to provide concrete evidence to his 'many edos speak yoruba' claim after asking him to provide evidence which alludes to core edo natives born and bred all their lives in edo state who speak yoruba in identification with their yoruba ancestry.

If you and macof are making reference to this akoko group who live along the borders with ondo state and use them to generalize as your so-called 'edo people are a sub group of yoruba', then you have just failed in proving your points and have made no point whatsoever. If you paraphrase your statement to 'akoko edos' are a sub-clan of yoruba, then that might seem plausible. But if its to claim that binis, ishans, afemais, etsakos etc are all yoruba sub clans, then you're truly illusioned.

I've noticed this strong penchant by Yorubas to claim Edo state people - a people who don't speak or understand yoruba natively unless they make efforts to learn it, and a people who speak entirely different languages which can be likened to how hausa and Igbo are different from yoruba.

When u say core-edo, what do u actually mean? Bini? I dnt think som edo ppl can b more edo dan d oda. Akoko-edo ppl r as much as edo as bini or ishan ppl. Most of dem claim a comon n same bini kingdom ancestry. It's jst dat as d ppl move further, dialects r bound 2differ nd cultures get more diluted by contact with other tribes. Edo north ppl r somehow more closer to Kogi ppl which they share clear boundary with, linguistically nd culturally than Edo south (bini ppl). And Edo south (bini ppl) r closer to Urhobo ppl (delta state) which they share boundary with than Edo north (Etsakor, owan and akoko-edo ppl). It's just like that. So there is no homogenous edo culture at all at all. A common ancestry is jst what unites dem nd notin more.

Pls read Macof's coment well I admonish u, nobody eva said dat edos are yorubas or a sub-group of yorubas. No! Bt what we r sayin is dat som groups like Ekiti, Owo e.t.c who r bein classified as yoruba r more edo (closer to som edo groups) linguistically and in oda aspects than they are to Oyo (yoruba). Get dat pls!

Do u know abt the Ilaje ppl of Ondo state? These ppl r also grouped unda d larger yoruba body, but linguistically nd culturally they are far closer to Ijaws than they are to Oyo (yoruba) ppl. The only thing that kind of makes dem acceptable under yoruba body is dat they speak Oyo dialect as a second language like d ijebu, Okun, Owo e.t.c do. Infact majority ilajes r ancestrally ijaw nd they know it, jst dat they somehow feel more protected with d larger yoruba body and hv since claimed yoruba, unlike their itsekiri counterparts who hav profesed a distinct identity, mostly I think because they found themselvs in delta state (southsouth) nd they do not speak the oyo dialect well. So pls try nd get d points.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 11:25pm On Dec 17, 2013
macof: undecided wat freaking proof is this one asking?
As I said before, I am not claiming Edo for Yoruba- it's all up in ur head as ur mentality is wired to see threats coming from Yoruba side

I simply say "Edo is as non-Yoruba as Ekiti, Owo and so many other non-Oyo"

@bold...thank you. That's all I need to hear. Finally you've acceded to the truth.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 11:25pm On Dec 17, 2013
PS: I meant to write ondo state, not Ogun.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Delta Igbos / Urhobo Wa Doo! Learn/share Urhobo Stuff Here / Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi And His 7 Wives Step Out Together (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.