Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,539 members, 7,808,987 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:34 PM

Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? (39126 Views)

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 11:55pm On Dec 17, 2013
Nowenuse:

When u say core-edo, what do u actually mean? Bini? I dnt think som edo ppl can b more edo dan d oda. Akoko-edo ppl r as much as edo as bini or ishan ppl. Most of dem claim a comon n same bini kingdom ancestry. It's jst dat as d ppl move further, dialects r bound 2differ nd cultures get more diluted by contact with other tribes. Edo north ppl r somehow more closer to Kogi ppl which they share clear boundary with, linguistically nd culturally than Edo south (bini ppl). And Edo south (bini ppl) r closer to Urhobo ppl (delta state) which they share boundary with than Edo north (Etsakor, owan and akoko-edo ppl). It's just like that. So there is no homogenous edo culture at all at all. A common ancestry is jst what unites dem nd notin more.

Pls read Macof's coment well I admonish u, nobody eva said dat edos are yorubas or a sub-group of yorubas. No! Bt what we r sayin is dat som groups like Ekiti, Owo e.t.c who r bein classified as yoruba r more edo (closer to som edo groups) linguistically and in oda aspects than they are to Oyo (yoruba). Get dat pls!

Do u know abt the Ilaje ppl of Ondo state? These ppl r also grouped unda d larger yoruba body, but linguistically nd culturally they are far closer to Ijaws than they are to Oyo (yoruba) ppl. The only thing that kind of makes dem acceptable under yoruba body is dat they speak Oyo dialect as a second language like d ijebu, Okun, Owo e.t.c do. Infact majority ilajes r ancestrally ijaw nd they know it, jst dat they somehow feel more protected with d larger yoruba body and hv since claimed yoruba, unlike their itsekiri counterparts who hav profesed a distinct identity, mostly I think because they found themselvs in delta state (southsouth) nd they do not speak the oyo dialect well. So pls try nd get d points.

All these long history lessons you're giving me, I know them already. I know about the Ilajes and Apoi Ijaws who are Ijaws by blood.

By trying to classify edo people in the same heel with ekiti/iwo etc or use them to compare with oyo as you use ekiti and iwo, you're covertly asserting that they are somewhat yoruba but with a divergent language when in actuality there's no common/linking language between both groups. The past and present obas of benin themselves have come out severally to debunk the erroneous beliefs being paraded here that edos are yorubas.

The same way you'd clearly see a very distinct group such as edo - distinct in language from yoruba yet want to include them under the umbrella of yoruba. Why don't you also include Igbo, Hausa, Ibibio as well? Afterall, come in Igbo isn't wa, boy in Igbo is nwoke and not yoruba etc.

That's the kind of logic macof uses as his own basis for classification and that's where he gets it all wrong.

Coming to Igbo, nsukka, owerri, ikwo in ebonyi state, mbaise, ohaji/egbema dialects are very different and distinct from each other. Nsukka Igbo is so different that non-nsukka visitors to nsukka land don't understand nsukka dialect until after some months of living there. Their pronunciations are different, many words different too. For eg, I am fine. Adi m mma(central/onitsha igbo) adu m oyi(nsukka igbo).

Comparison between Onitsha Igbo and Nsukka Igbo
Welcome. Nno. Deeje
Good. mma. oyi
Market. Afia. eshua
Where/place. ebe. mbe
Afternoon. efifie. eshushue
How are you? Kedu? I mee agaa?
I'm fine. Odinma. Adu m oyi
Thank you. Daalu. Deeme
Land. Ani. Ela

Comparison between Onistha Igbo and Owerri Igbo
Place. ebe. nga
Slap. ula. akanti
Dress. efe. uwe
How are you? Kedu? Olia?
I'm fine. Odinma. Ari m mma
Box. Akpati. Igbe
House. Bee. Uyo
Now. Kita. Ugbulaaka
Peace. Ndokwa. Udo
Thank you Daalu. I meela
Land. Ani. Ala

Following macofs logic, then Nsukka and Owerri Igbo are not 'Igbo' so to say, but are only Igbo because they speak central Igbo as second language.

How interesting.

Coming to English you have soo many differences between American and British English. Even Nigerians that travel to US have to adopt the american terms for many words else they won't be understood when speaking.

US. British
Faucet. Tap
Pants. Trousers
Living room. Parlour
Soda. Mineral
Vest. Singlet
Underpants. Underwears
Trunk. Bonnet
Hood. Sweaters

And so many of them. The same way I could also claim that US and British English are non-english using these respective differences between them. Thanks to Macof's logic. Take a trip to England and enter deep into its village and tell me if you'll understand a word of what they say there. This is british english spoken differently from london english and US english yet its still called English, despite the huge difference and lack of mutuality with other English dialects.

What unifies several dialects of a common language, no matter the degree of divergence, is the presence of common aspects to both and the level of the commonality between the both.

Does Macof think Historians were dumb when they studied african languages and subjugated them into well-delineated groups? Why did historians, despite the glaring differences between Oyo and Ekiti ot Iwo, still classify them as yoruboid languages? Because of the commonality between both dialects and the oyo dialect.

Using mere differences in dialects as a basis of classification of a group is totally baseless.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Pharoh: 8:33am On Dec 18, 2013
The languages are already classified in the ethnography and the ethnic groups are already classified in the Joshua project so i think what is needed is to study those two classification to gain full understanding.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 9:18am On Dec 18, 2013
bigfrancis21:

@bold...thank you. That's all I need to hear. Finally you've acceded to the truth.

That's not the first time I posted it.
That's wat I've been saying since, as I said "ur mentality is wired to see threats from Yoruba" so you've been saying threats from me where there's none.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 9:42am On Dec 18, 2013
LOL.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 10:08am On Dec 18, 2013
Again with this Igbo thing

Listen Francis u not edo neither are u from the west. So I can say all these things are New to u and ur opinion is worthless.

it's Owo not Iwo. Iwo is a town in Osun state the other Iwo is extinct

Igbo has No cultural, linguistic, traditional or historical link with Oyo.

Bringing English and igbo shows that u don't know anything
Does American English mean that Americans are English by ethnicity?
Or Does Mexican Spanish mean that Mexicans are Spanish by ethnicity?

I always use language for u because I know u like seeing languages but language isn't all that matters in ethnicity or tribal affiliation.
Edo aren't Yoruba but they are in the same ethnic group.
Owo are Yoruba but they are in the same ethnic group
Ijebu aren't Yoruba but they arw in the same ethnic group
Isekiri aren't Yoruba but they are in the same ethnic group
Since Edo and Isekiri refuse to take the name "Yoruba" doesn't mean we are different.

Common Origin, Cultural, Traditional, Historical and linguistical ties exist between All the people.

Oyo might not be tied to Isekiri in anyway but Ijebu and Ondo is.
Oyo might not be tied to Bini but Ife, Owo, Akure is
Oyo might not be tied to Yagba/Okun but Ekiti and Igbomina is
Oyo might not be tied to Ilaje but Ijesha, Ife and Ondo is

Can u see the link? Oyo isn't the issue it's everyone that has ties with someone else.

I perceived it useless arguing with u from the beginning but for the sake of other Nairalanders I continued, Now I've said all I....unless u want Audios grin
Let an Edo Person come on the thread let's talk instead of you- An Igbo

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 10:04pm On Dec 18, 2013
LOL. Someone sounds like I got on some nerves real hard. grin

So because I'm Igbo, I shouldn't expand my knowledge and know about other and outside cultures? Says Mr. Macof, the all-knowing-judge? cheesy

Of course I brought in Igbo and English, to mirror to you how poorly correlated and organized your logic is. And I gave perfect examples of 'macof's all-knowing logic' and how it crumpled up like a pack of fallen cards in the light of evidence. I whipped your weak logic and reasoning real good.

You need an Edo person right? StarFlux already objected to you since. Go back a few posts and read his post.

Keep on being the embodiment of ignorance and recalcitrance which you want to be.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nowenuse: 12:45am On Dec 19, 2013
bigfrancis21:

All these long history lessons you're giving me, I know them already. I know about the Ilajes and Apoi Ijaws who are Ijaws by blood.

By trying to classify edo people in the same heel with ekiti/iwo etc or use them to compare with oyo as you use ekiti and iwo, you're covertly asserting that they are somewhat yoruba but with a divergent language when in actuality there's no common/linking language between both groups. The past and present obas of benin themselves have come out severally to debunk the erroneous beliefs being paraded here that edos are yorubas.

The same way you'd clearly see a very distinct group such as edo - distinct in language from yoruba yet want to include them under the umbrella of yoruba. Why don't you also include Igbo, Hausa, Ibibio as well? Afterall, come in Igbo isn't wa, boy in Igbo is nwoke and not yoruba etc.

That's the kind of logic macof uses as his own basis for classification and that's where he gets it all wrong.

Coming to Igbo, nsukka, owerri, ikwo in ebonyi state, mbaise, ohaji/egbema dialects are very different and distinct from each other. Nsukka Igbo is so different that non-nsukka visitors to nsukka land don't understand nsukka dialect until after some months of living there. Their pronunciations are different, many words different too. For eg, I am fine. Adi m mma(central/onitsha igbo) adu m oyi(nsukka igbo).

Comparison between Onitsha Igbo and Nsukka Igbo
Welcome. Nno. Deeje
Good. mma. oyi
Market. Afia. eshua
Where/place. ebe. mbe
Afternoon. efifie. eshushue
How are you? Kedu? I mee agaa?
I'm fine. Odinma. Adu m oyi
Thank you. Daalu. Deeme
Land. Ani. Ela

Comparison between Onistha Igbo and Owerri Igbo
Place. ebe. nga
Slap. ula. akanti
Dress. efe. uwe
How are you? Kedu? Olia?
I'm fine. Odinma. Ari m mma
Box. Akpati. Igbe
House. Bee. Uyo
Now. Kita. Ugbulaaka
Peace. Ndokwa. Udo
Thank you Daalu. I meela
Land. Ani. Ala

Following macofs logic, then Nsukka and Owerri Igbo are not 'Igbo' so to say, but are only Igbo because they speak central Igbo as second language.

How interesting.

Coming to English you have soo many differences between American and British English. Even Nigerians that travel to US have to adopt the american terms for many words else they won't be understood when speaking.

US. British
Faucet. Tap
Pants. Trousers
Living room. Parlour
Soda. Mineral
Vest. Singlet
Underpants. Underwears
Trunk. Bonnet
Hood. Sweaters

And so many of them. The same way I could also claim that US and British English are non-english using these respective differences between them. Thanks to Macof's logic. Take a trip to England and enter deep into its village and tell me if you'll understand a word of what they say there. This is british english spoken differently from london english and US english yet its still called English, despite the huge difference and lack of mutuality with other English dialects.

What unifies several dialects of a common language, no matter the degree of divergence, is the presence of common aspects to both and the level of the commonality between the both.

Does Macof think Historians were dumb when they studied african languages and subjugated them into well-delineated groups? Why did historians, despite the glaring differences between Oyo and Ekiti ot Iwo, still classify them as yoruboid languages? Because of the commonality between both dialects and the oyo dialect.

Using mere differences in dialects as a basis of classification of a group is totally baseless.

Big francis, do u know dat most Nsukka ppl are ancestrally Igala? If u doubt pls go and find out, same with some anambra ppl. So I believ that the Nsukka dialect shuld bare many influences from igala language, same way many delta igbos have been heavily influenced by Bini culture and language and many Rivers igbos by ijaw. Infact I evn think it's more than that, today many delta and rivers igbos are rejecting igbo origin and claiming bini and ijaw. Sayin that they only came unda d igbo identity by colonial groupin and otherwise, alas this is same thing dat Macof is talking of. Infact I hv met many ika ppl of delta igbo dat proved to me so well that their culture is even more bini than igbo, that igbo culture only influenced them, and I was really astonished. because the similarities they could draw out in their language and cultures with bini (edo) was just too numerous. Similar to many rivers igbos who are completely culturally and ethnically ijaw but linguistically igbo.
So pls, I think U shuld b able to diffrentiate language, culture, ethnicity and ancestry in many of your definitions pls.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nowenuse: 12:50am On Dec 19, 2013
Anoda major point I would also like to draw to u is d fact that 'central igbo' which is general igbo today is nobody's native dialect as I was told, dat it was just a combination of difrent igbo dialects to create a common language for all difrent igbo sub-groups. But u must know that the general yoruba dialect (oyo) dialect of today is the only native language of Oyo/Osun ppl, they have no other dialect. While the Ijebu, Okun, Igbomina, Egba, Ekiti e.t.c have their own individual native dialects very diffrent from oyo dialect and they stil at the same time manage to speak the Oyo dialect. This clearly tells u dat the major yoruba identity should be founded on the culture of the oyo ppl and nothin else.
This is somehow similar to hausa ppl, the general hausa dialect is based on the kano dialect. Sokoto, katsina, daura, Gobir, zamfara, jigawa e.t.c have their own individual dialects, but they stll manage to speak the general kano dialect for general comunication. This can also tell u dat the hausa culture of today might be founded more on Kano culture. Sub-group culture though in hausaland is not too distinct from one anoda unlike yorubaland, because Danfodio helped to unite all the hausa states long before colonialism by Jihad. But prior to Jihad, all d former hausa states were very difrent and evn go to war with each oda, they neva had a homogenous identity.
What about the ijaws? Till today they have neva fully agreed to a common identity, that's why they are mostly adressed as d 'Ijo clusters' and not the 'Ijaw ethnicity' some times. because to the Orogbo ijaw man in Ondo, he is very much closer to yoruba culture, language and ancestry, while to the Kalabari ijaw man, he feels more connected to the igboid tribes of rivers state, the Andonni ijaw man to akwa-ibom tribes and those ijaws in delta, to the delta tribes and so on.
So pls try to get what Macof is relaying to you.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 7:39am On Dec 19, 2013
bigfrancis21: LOL. Someone sounds like I got on some nerves real hard. grin

So because I'm Igbo, I shouldn't expand my knowledge and know about other and outside cultures? Says Mr. Macof, the all-knowing-judge? cheesy

Of course I brought in Igbo and English, to mirror to you how poorly correlated and organized your logic is. And I gave perfect examples of 'macof's all-knowing logic' and how it crumpled up like a pack of fallen cards in the light of evidence. I whipped your weak logic and reasoning real good.

You need an Edo person right? StarFlux already objected to you since. Go back a few posts and read his post.

Keep on being the embodiment of ignorance and recalcitrance which you want to be.

As Ive said ur opinion is worthless
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:05am On Dec 19, 2013
I've read this thread yet again and I'm still surprised at the drawn out arguments and over-complication of such a simple matter.

Macof, I have one simple question for you: do you know at least one Edo person in real life?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 8:16am On Dec 19, 2013
PhysicsQED: I've read this thread yet again and I'm still surprised at the drawn out arguments and over-complication of such a simple matter.

Macof, I have one simple question for you: do you know at least one Edo person in real life?

Thank you. I bet you he has never met anyone before. Just spewing ignorance on an online forum. I currently have an Edo friend and I asked him questions last night and he rejected outright that he's yoruba. That Edos are not yorubas. My coursemate in the University is Bini and a very proud one for that matter. I also know a corper from Edo state who says he's Eshan.

I just don't know what some people gain from ignorance and illusion.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 8:18am On Dec 19, 2013
The Edo person he asked for to argue aimlessly with as usual is here in the person of PhysicsQED. PhysicsQED, please educate him out of his ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 8:42am On Dec 19, 2013
Nowenuse:

Big francis, do u know dat most Nsukka ppl are ancestrally Igala? If u doubt pls go and find out, same with some anambra ppl. So I believ that the Nsukka dialect shuld bare many influences from igala language, same way many delta igbos have been heavily influenced by Bini culture and language and many Rivers igbos by ijaw. Infact I evn think it's more than that, today many delta and rivers igbos are rejecting igbo origin and claiming bini and ijaw. Sayin that they only came unda d igbo identity by colonial groupin and otherwise, alas this is same thing dat Macof is talking of. Infact I hv met many ika ppl of delta igbo dat proved to me so well that their culture is even more bini than igbo, that igbo culture only influenced them, and I was really astonished. because the similarities they could draw out in their language and cultures with bini (edo) was just too numerous. Similar to many rivers igbos who are completely culturally and ethnically ijaw but linguistically igbo.
So pls, I think U shuld b able to diffrentiate language, culture, ethnicity and ancestry in many of your definitions pls.

@bold...what do you stand to gain from making totally false statements? Nsukka people are Igbo people. Their language is also Igbo but with different pronunciation of words. I studied at the University of Nigeria Nsukka(UNN) and I spent 6 long years in Nsukka land. The Nsukka area had some Igalas who came to settle in their midst. These people still bear Igala surnames till today such as Omeje, Obetta etc. However, they are in minority as most(95%) of Nsukka indigenes have Igbo surnames and names and trace their origin to Nri, which they call Ishi. Also, the Nsukka dialect is 99% Igbo. Igala words are very few in Nsukka dialect such as Attama(high priest). Nsukka dialect also has one or two words from Idoma language too, Nsukka land sharing borders with both Igala and Idoma lands. Such cross-border cultural exchange is bound to happen when two different language groups co-habit side by side. Vice versa, In Igala and Idoma lands, some people there bear Igbo surnames and names such as Obi, Okoro etc. These are Igbo people who migrated to these lands and settled there just as Igala people migrated to Nsukka land and settled there. These Igbo people in Igala and Idoma lands are Igala and Idoma now even though they have Igbo names just as the migrants in Igboland have adopted the Nsukka and Igbo identities.

In Ohafia and Arochukwu Abia state(they share borders with Akwa Ibom), they borrowed some Ibibio words from their Ibibio neighbours and on the Akwa ibom side, some particular communities have been discovered to have 55% of the words in their language from Igbo.

Some Rivers Igbo deny being Igbo for political reasons. All of them speak 100% Igbo and their dialects are more easily understood than Nsukka. Their denial stems mostly from the fact that they are not in the SE zone. Ask any of them why they are not Igbo even when they communicate in Igbo to you and they'll reply 'I'm not from SE'.

The delta Igbos who claim Bini ancestry are mostly Ikas and Ndokwa/Ukwuani. 4 groups make up the Delta Igbos - Aniochas, Ndokwas, Ikas and Oshimilis. Their names were used to form the popular acronym, Anioma, which I guess you must have heard. 'ma' was added to complete the word and give it an Igbo meaning. Strikingly, Anioma means 'good land' in Igbo language, Chioma means 'good God'. The Aniochas and Oshimilis trace their ancestry to Nri and are proud Igbos. If at all you want to talk about some Delta Igbos with Bini ancestry, you'll refer specifically to Ikas.

And the funny thing is, not all Ikas have Bini ancestry. Ika land had some Bini migrants who came to their land and settled in the midst of Ika Igbos. The descendants of these migrants today have Bini surnames and Igbo first names indicating their currently mixed ancestries. While the original Ika indigenes have Igbo surnames and first names. These Ika migrants are few in percentage to the original Ika indigenes yet its these people who go about breeding dissension in the Ika community about not being Igbo and wanting to rewrite history and drag all other bonafide Ikas along with them. Many Ikas reject this Bini claim and call themselves Igbo. Especially the Igbodo and Ekwuoma communities. While some cling on to the Bini claim especially Agbor. And just as it is with Rivers Igbos, Ika language is easily understood by first time visitors to Ika land. The good thing is the people evolved their language along with other igboid groups and they speak Anambra Igbo or Central Igbo in addition to their native dialect which has been said to closely resemble Owerri dialect. By evolving their language, present generation Ika people have dropped most of the bini words in their language and adopted the Igbo versions instead such that its only the very elderly people in Ika land who still remember these bini words. Aniocha, Ndokwa and Oshimili Igbo are Anambra-like.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 9:11am On Dec 19, 2013
PhysicsQED: I've read this thread yet again and I'm still surprised at the drawn out arguments and over-complication of such a simple matter.

my aunt is married to Isan
I have tens of friends from Edo
My ex is from Akoko

I am well into Edo people
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 9:14am On Dec 19, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Thank you. I bet you he has never met anyone before. Just spewing ignorance on an online forum. I currently have an Edo friend and I asked him questions last night and he rejected outright that he's yoruba. That Edos are not yorubas. My coursemate in the University is Bini and a very proud one for that matter. I also know a corper from Edo state who says he's Eshan.

I just don't know what some people gain from ignorance and illusion.

Again showing ur lack of understanding

No one ever said Edo is yoruba
heck I even gave u reasons why Ekiti, Ilaje and owo are not yoruba

so you the one showing ur ignorance and illusion wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:30am On Dec 19, 2013
macof:
I have tens of friends from Edo

So have you told them some of the things you're saying on this thread? What was their reaction?
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Pharoh: 9:35am On Dec 19, 2013
Always deluding themselves that Ika and Ndokwa people are igbos and this is the same person who has to lock a thread ( abuse of mod powers ) in an attempt to stifle the voice of Ikas and Ndokwas here on nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 10:08am On Dec 19, 2013
PhysicsQED:

So have you told them some of the things you're saying on this thread? What was their reaction?

The first time I got hear Edo-yoruba link was from an Edo, He always parades Edo and yoruba are same people
so There's no Edo person that would be surprised to hear that

It always leads to history talk and Cultural festivals

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:22am On Dec 19, 2013
macof:

The first time I got hear Edo-yoruba link was from an Edo, He always parades Edo and yoruba are same people
so There's no Edo person that would be surprised to hear that

It always leads to history talk and Cultural festivals

This doesn't really answer the question I posed, but okay, I'll guess I'll move past that.

This person you mentioned, do you know where was he from (in Edo state)? And was he living in Edo state or in the southwest when he made that statement?

It's not that I don't believe you - I'll definitely take your word for it. But know that he is only expressing his opinion and that a large number of people from the same state as him would disagree with him about that. On the flip side, perhaps a few others might agree with him, but it probably doesn't make sense in this instance to read too much into the opinion of a few people out of the larger group.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 10:32am On Dec 19, 2013
PhysicsQED:

This doesn't really answer the question I posed, but okay, I'll guess I'll move past that.

This person you mentioned, do you know where was he from (in Edo state)? And was he living in Edo state or in the southwest when he made that statement?

It's not that I don't believe you - I'll definitely take your word for it. But know that he is only expressing his opinion and that a large number of people from the same state as him would disagree with him about that. On the flip side, perhaps a few others might agree with him, but it probably wouldn't make sense in this instance to read too much into the opinion of a few people out the larger group.

he claims Bini
He lives in Benin but He came to Abuja for a while- Where we met
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:41am On Dec 19, 2013
macof:

he claims Bini
He lives in Benin but He came to Abuja for a while- Where we met

Okay. And were you guys conducting a business transaction? Was he trying to sell you something? grin I'm kidding of course.

But on a serious note, I get it - he believes the Edo and the Yoruba are the same people because of some similarities or some shared history - that's cool and he's entitled to his belief. It's nothing outlandish for him to see things that way, even if, ultimately, it's misleading or inaccurate. But just don't take his view as necessarily representative or anything - it's one man's opinion.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 10:46am On Dec 19, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Okay. And were you guys conducting a business transaction? Was he trying to sell you something? grin I'm kidding of course.

But on a serious note, I get it - he believes the Edo and the Yoruba are the same people because of some similarities or some shared history - that's cool and he's entitled to his belief. It's nothing outlandish for him to see things that way, even if, ultimately, it's misleading or inaccurate. But just don't take his view as necessarily representative or anything - it's one man's opinion.

And Akoko people who speak Oyo undecided
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:55am On Dec 19, 2013
macof:

And Akoko people who speak Oyo undecided

You keep referring to "Akoko people" in this thread.

You do realize the Akoko-Edo (I assume that's the place that you meant to refer to) peoples are quite distinct from the Akoko in Ondo state, right? I'm referring to the Okpamheri, Ososo, Oloma, Uneme, etc. of Akoko-Edo. They're all different groups from one another, and they're different from the Akoko Yoruba in Ondo state.

They (the people in the Akoko-Edo area of Edo state) have their own languages, and they don't claim to be Yoruba or claim to be "the same people" with Yoruba. If you think that they think they're Yoruba or "the same with Yoruba", can you at least tell me why you think this?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by tpia5: 10:56am On Dec 19, 2013
bamosagie: I am from Edo and I speak yoruba because I spent time in ibadan, schooled there and studied yoruba. Members of my extended do not speak yoruba because they've not stayed in yoruba land. Point is the chance of edo speaking yoruba is equal to that of an Ibo or Hausa.

True.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by tpia5: 10:58am On Dec 19, 2013
cindylee: I am Edo and I only learnt how to speak Yoruba because I schooled in Ife. Nobody from Edo state automatically learns how to speak Yoruba as his first or second language. You have to learn it because either you schooled in yoruba land or you live there. All these nonsense historians who have never lived or been in Edo state just talk of what they hear people say. And I still say that no Edo person can just learn how to speak yoruba like that. Also some part of Edos share boundary with Ondo state which are the Akokos. We call them Akoko-edo, so maybe those people by virtue of boundary speak yoruba and vice-versa. Please you guys should not just be basing arguments on what you hear people say

By the way, Urhobos and Itsekiris are not part of Edo state. They are part of Delta but we are all from the old Bendel state. Anything aside from this na pure lie.

Akoko edo have their own language which isn't yoruba.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 11:47am On Dec 19, 2013
PhysicsQED:

You keep referring to "Akoko people" in this thread.

You do realize the Akoko-Edo (I assume that's the place that you meant to refer to) peoples are quite distinct from the Akoko in Ondo state, right? I'm referring to the Okpamheri, Ososo, Oloma, Uneme, etc. of Akoko-Edo. They're all different groups from one another, and they're different from the Akoko Yoruba in Ondo state.

They (the people in the Akoko-Edo area of Edo state) have their own languages, and they don't claim to be Yoruba or claim to be "the same people" with Yoruba. If you think that they think they're Yoruba or "the same with Yoruba", can you at least tell me why you think this?
I know all about the distinctions between Akoko-Edo And Akoko-Ondo but they are sibling tribes u should know that They have same origin
Akoko people are very close to Ondo in everything and just like Ondo and Akure they speak Oyo language as a lingual franca but their indigenous languages are closer to bini than Oyo
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 11:54am On Dec 19, 2013
macof:
I know all about the distinctions between Akoko-Edo And Akoko-Ondo but they are sibling tribes u should know that They have same origin
Akoko people are very close to Ondo in everything and just like Ondo and Akure they speak Oyo language as a lingual franca but their indigenous languages are closer to bini than Oyo

You keep avoiding some of my questions without giving a reason. You made it seem like the "Akoko people" (referring to the peoples of the Akoko-Edo area of Edo state) had the same views as that one guy you met in Abuja, but when I asked you why you thought this, you didn't explain.

New questions, since you avoided some of the previous ones.

1) How are they "sibling tribes"

and

2) Please tell me what this "same origin" is.

Speaking "Oyo" is not relevant to what they are - some Ijaws in Ondo state speak Yoruba, some non-Hausas speak Hausa, etc. It doesn't change what those people are ethnically or what they know themselves to be.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 2:09pm On Dec 19, 2013
Nice one, PhysicsQED.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 2:17pm On Dec 19, 2013
I wonder why some people fail to realize the distinctness of language. If any of the Edo languages had been truly yoruba, they would have definitely been classified as Yoruboid by linguists and international researchers. Everything about Edo languages says its entirely different from the words for God, boy, woman, man, body parts down to the very last.

Some Ikas and Ndokwas wish to be seen as different from Igbo yet the language they speak is Igbo and hence are still classified under the Igbo umbrella as Igboid by the Joshua project, historians, wikipedia, international journals etc. If truly, Ika and Ndokwa Igbo were distinct as some people would have us believe like hausa, igala, idoma etc, then they would have long since been regarded as a separate group and classified as Ikaoid or Ndokwaoid with several dialects under it.

Using mere differences in dialects as a basis for classification of languages is totally baseless. Its these differences in dialects that makes them dialects in the first place for if everybody spoke the same language exactly, then there'd be basically nothing like dialects.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 2:47pm On Dec 19, 2013
PhysicsQED:

You keep avoiding some of my questions without giving a reason. You made it seem like the "Akoko people" (referring to the peoples of the Akoko-Edo area of Edo state) had the same views as that one guy you met in Abuja, but when I asked you why you thought this, you didn't explain.

New questions, since you avoided some of the previous ones.

1) How are they "sibling tribes"

and

2) Please tell me what this "same origin" is.

Speaking "Oyo" is not relevant to what they are - some Ijaws in Ondo state speak Yoruba, some non-Hausas speak Hausa, etc. It doesn't change what those people are ethnically or what they know themselves to be.

which questions did I avoid

I told u Akoko( Akoko-Edo and Akoko-Ondo) speak Oyo language as well as their indigenous languages
Ask an Akoko person to tell u how he views the others across the state boarder

The Akoko people dont have One established origin, many waves of migrations existed from Ile-ife, bini and Akure, they also share a lot with Igala and Idoma

You make seem as if Akoko-edo and Akok-ondo are totally different group of people undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 2:48pm On Dec 19, 2013
bigfrancis21: I wonder why some people fail to realize the distinctness of language. If any of the Edo languages had been truly yoruba, they would have definitely been classified as Yoruboid by linguists and international researchers. Everything about Edo languages says its entirely different from the words for God, boy, woman, man, body parts down to the very last.

Some Ikas and Ndokwas wish to be seen as different from Igbo yet the language they speak is Igbo and hence are still classified under the Igbo umbrella as Igboid by the Joshua project, historians, wikipedia, international journals etc. If truly, Ika and Ndokwa Igbo were distinct as some people would have us believe like hausa, igala, idoma etc, then they would have long since been regarded as a separate group and classified as Ikaoid or Ndokwaoid with several dialects under it.

Using mere differences in dialects as a basis for classification of languages is totally baseless. Its these differences in dialects that makes them dialects in the first place for if everybody spoke the same language exactly, then there'd be basically nothing like dialects.

And is language the only thing to consider when claiming ethnicity?
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Pharoh: 3:31pm On Dec 19, 2013
macof:

And is language the only thing to consider when claiming ethnicity?

That is the only thing that matters to them in their quest to claim Ikas and Ndokwas as Igbos when linguist who grouped this language always warn people not to base the classification as ethnic labeling. The Ikas speak their own separate language called Ika while the Ndokwas speak three related languages and they are Ukwuani, Aboh and Ndoni. Ika and Ndokwa are a completely separate ethnic group from the igbo ethnic group so never believe anything an igbo man tells you about Ika and Ndokwa people. Ika is never dialect of igbo language as it is a completely separate language on its own and it is made up of her own dialects too.

Take a look at this links and the first link is the number one reference point all over the world for all Nigerian languages and if you want to research more about ethnicity grouping then refer to the Joshua project.

http://www.rogerblench.info/Language/Africa/Nigeria/Atlas%20of%20Nigerian%20Languages-%20ed%20III.pdf

http://www.uiowa.edu/intlinet/unijos/nigonnet/nlp/igboid.htm

http://www.uiowa.edu/intlinet/unijos/nigonnet/nlp/langsize.htm

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Doll Created By Taofik Okoya Now Outselling White Dolls Barbie / Hausa Hero And Warrior Queen Amina Of Zaria Full History,life And Legendary Work / Obi Of Onitsha: I Was Saved From Attacked Train Through Phone Call

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.