Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? (39117 Views)

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by mandarin: 3:32pm On Dec 19, 2013
macof:

No one ever said. Edo is a Yoruba dialect.

My point is, Even about the people in general not language.
So many people called Yoruba today have nothing to do with Yoruba other than they speak Yoruba as a second or third language in their town

I gave examples- Owo and Ekiti are not Yoruba at all, they only speak Yoruba as a second language.

I used the logic that if edo is not in the same ethnic group as Owo, Ondo, Akure, Ilaje, Ekiti etc. then all of them can claim to be ethnic groups of their own especially the large ones like Ekiti, Ijesha, Ijebu

You have mixed things up here. I think you are trying to refer to OYO and not Yoruba. Yoruba is a general reference while Oyo from which the spoken central Yoruba originated from was the dialect of the Oyo speakers.
That Ekiti, Owo etc are different from Oyo does not deny the ancestry of the people to Ife(not Oyo) There is a great possibility of several old kingdoms in the eastern parts of Yoruba land as it is today constitute the oldest language/linguist of the Yoruba. Starting from the Itsekiri up to Bini, Ishan, Etsako, Owan to Ekiti, Owo, Ikale,Ilaje, Ijebu to Ife,Ijesa,Akoko,Yagba, before the much recent western Yoruba.

I just wondered for many younger historians here that have separated the people because of delineations in names of states and local governments today. Just commune with Akoko people and see the difficulty of comprehension to the central Yoruba.
The reason for these variations can be assumed based on these:
1. There were various ancient kingdoms who were distinct but share some similarities within their own boundaries e.g. Oba(You can chose to belive this but I believe the stock of Orunmila, Obatala etc are from the Kingdom) which comprises of present Ekiti/Akure/Ijesa areas. The Ijebu too and the Ugbo comprising a bunch of Ikale,Ilaje,Itsekiri and surrounding areas of maybe Ife today. There were also the Ijebu clans. Now picture it not as it is today as of the ancient times because various groups came from different parts to join these more ancient settlements so that Ekiti have old indigents and ife settlers among others.
2. The Igala settlements also could be taken as parts of the Old Ekiti-Yagba-Igala settlements but which may have been broken into different kingdoms and later into much smaller groups. Have you heard of Idoko before? that was an old name for parts of the settlement around Ondo town and may have something to do with Owo and parts of Edo of today. Now am talking of periods before Ife became prominent.
3.The Ife which was a confederacy of old, already existing nations(the word Oba has been in use before the concept of Oduduwa came e.g. Obatala,Obalufon etc) by the Oba people later adopted into the Oduduwa confederacy. I believe Oduduwa is a spiritual term and not the name of any person but an embodiment and merger of old and new to for a perfect essence of already Oba groups, the Ugbo groups and the new groups of migrants from far lands who could have also had their roots in the area, I mean it could have been a reverse migration e.g. the Oranmiyan story.
4.The Oyo which came after the Oranmiyan group founded his kingdom when there was no place for him(it must be researched well what that meant)and all his brothers have taken all the land meaning he lost control? Now the era of Oranmiyan was a long time after Oduduwa concept of unity in creation essence was birthed. He started his own occupation and settlements named the Oyo and at the time many ancient settlements did exist. It was himthat brought most of all these places I have mentioned together but believe me even during his time, some people still migrated to joing the groups. Take for instance, the Oyo also include a lot of Tapa(some ,Oyo Yoruba were conquered under Tsoede and naturalized to become Tapas), it would also include some Bariba(Borgu etc)Let me stop here.
5.Bini : If the ancient Ife history is well researched, I mean Ife and not Oyo empire some names of Ife rulers could be similar to Ilaje,Ikale, Bini,Itsekiri,Ekiti ,Owo names.Take for instance the name ORONMAKEN would sound from which of these groups?
Also know that Benin empire later include some parts of Eastern Yoruba and being in the same Kingdom would have impact culturally on both sides. In fact,the Ekiti/Akure groups formed the largest population in the latter Bini empire.

FACTS
At various times, various groups have ruled the eastern Yoruba areas, the Oba, Idoko(may be the same as Igala today), Owo, Ugbo Bini and these have all integrated into variant but socially integrated people.The truth is these people are historically together and have evolved into a group of same people. I think to say Edo is a subset of YORUBA MAY BE WRONG BUT IT COULD ALSO BE RIGHT DEPENDING ON YOUR PERSPECTIVE.Why I think the Bini are claiming what they are today is because they also built their own empire as a sister state to the Oba/Ugbo/ife and later Oyo empire. The historical reference of these people can not be divorced

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Pharoh: 3:35pm On Dec 19, 2013
Igboid Languages

The largest member of Igboid is Igbo, which is spoken in Abia, Anambra, Enugu Imo, Rivers, Delta, and Akwa Ibom State by about 20 million people.

The following classification of the Igboid languages is taken from Crozier and Blench (1992):

a.
Igbo
Izi-Ezaa-Ikwo-Mgbo
Ika
Ukwuani-Aboh-Ndoni
Ogbah
Ikwere

b.
Ekpeye

That is the classification of igboid languages and that is a language family because it is made up of closely related languages. So why should anyone with their right senses now claim that Ika is a dialect of igbo language when both Ika and igbo are listed as igboid languages.

The name igboid was used to name the family because igbo was the largest member and this is the same system that was applied in Edoid and Yoruboid family whereby you use the name of the largest member to form the family name.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by mandarin: 4:11pm On Dec 19, 2013
Nowenuse:

When u say core-edo, what do u actually mean? Bini? I dnt think som edo ppl can b more edo dan d oda. Akoko-edo ppl r as much as edo as bini or ishan ppl. Most of dem claim a comon n same bini kingdom ancestry. It's jst dat as d ppl move further, dialects r bound 2differ nd cultures get more diluted by contact with other tribes. Edo north ppl r somehow more closer to Kogi ppl which they share clear boundary with, linguistically nd culturally than Edo south (bini ppl). And Edo south (bini ppl) r closer to Urhobo ppl (delta state) which they share boundary with than Edo north (Etsakor, owan and akoko-edo ppl). It's just like that. So there is no homogenous edo culture at all at all. A common ancestry is jst what unites dem nd notin more.

Pls read Macof's coment well I admonish u, nobody eva said dat edos are yorubas or a sub-group of yorubas. No! Bt what we r sayin is dat som groups like Ekiti, Owo e.t.c who r bein classified as yoruba r more edo (closer to som edo groups) linguistically and in oda aspects than they are to Oyo (yoruba). Get dat pls!

Do u know abt the Ilaje ppl of Ondo state? These ppl r also grouped unda d larger yoruba body, but linguistically nd culturally they are far closer to Ijaws than they are to Oyo (yoruba) ppl. The only thing that kind of makes dem acceptable under yoruba body is dat they speak Oyo dialect as a second language like d ijebu, Okun, Owo e.t.c do. Infact majority ilajes r ancestrally ijaw nd they know it, jst dat they somehow feel more protected with d larger yoruba body and hv since claimed yoruba, unlike their itsekiri counterparts who hav profesed a distinct identity, mostly I think because they found themselvs in delta state (southsouth) nd they do not speak the oyo dialect well. So pls try nd get d points.

Your assertions are wrong sir. Please read and read more and ask questions. I think Macof meant Edo and Yoruba are the same people under a now known Yoruba larger umbrella. He said if you classify Bini, etsako etc as dialects , they are close to eastern Yoruba tongues but farther to Oyo Yoruba and that is true but it does not take the whole groups from being Yoruba if only you can see the word differently away from today's politicking.
Ilaje are different from Ijaw a whole lots, their dialects are closer to Itsekiri,Ijebu and Ikale. I have said people you observe the wave of word or linguist as you move up from Itsekiri to Ilaje, Ijebu up to Ekiti through Ondo and Owo upt to Yagba, Ijesa and Ife while variants of Oyo will become prominent as you move futher west. The eastern Yoruba country is more influenced by waves of kingdoms that were ancient than the western part.
Also remeber the word Yoruba was used to refer to the Oyo Yoruba initially but was adopted to refer to people with linked ancestral history, that is the link. I have a strong believe that the word OMO ODUDUWA refers to a people of the fused culture arrived at between the migrants and the indigenous people and did not refer to an individual person. It was a concept of fusion for good and to claim to belong to that is to show you allegiance to the success of cultural, religious and philosophical fusion of creation of the Ife.
So the link of Bini, Etsako etc to Ife makes them the same with the Yoruba though keeping their dialects and also being Kingdom builders

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 4:43pm On Dec 19, 2013
mandarin:

Your assertions are wrong sir. Please read and read more and ask questions. I think Macof meant Edo and Yoruba are the same people under a now known Yoruba larger umbrella. He said if you classify Bini, etsako etc as dialects , they are close to eastern Yoruba tongues but farther to Oyo Yoruba and that is true but it does not take the whole groups from being Yoruba if only you can see the word differently away from today's politicking.
Ilaje are different from Ijaw a whole lots, their dialects are closer to Itsekiri,Ijebu and Ikale. I have said people you observe the wave of word or linguist as you move up from Itsekiri to Ilaje, Ijebu up to Ekiti through Ondo and Owo upt to Yagba, Ijesa and Ife while variants of Oyo will become prominent as you move futher west. The eastern Yoruba country is more influenced by waves of kingdoms that were ancient than the western part.
Also remeber the word Yoruba was used to refer to the Oyo Yoruba initially but was adopted to refer to people with linked ancestral history, that is the link. I have a strong believe that the word OMO ODUDUWA refers to a people of the fused culture arrived at between the migrants and the indigenous people and did not refer to an individual person. It was a concept of fusion for good and to claim to belong to that is to show you allegiance to the success of cultural, religious and philosophical fusion of creation of the Ife.
So the link of Bini, Etsako etc to Ife makes them the same with the Yoruba though keeping their dialects and also being Kingdom builders

this brings me to another point... The appropriate Ethnic name should "omo Oodua" or "Ara Oodua"
the name "Oodua" or "Oduduwa" didnt first appear with the Great Oduduwa of Ife but the name is given to the land itself
Oduduwa is the orisha of Earth in Yoruba spirituality
and ile-Oodua was the name that unified everyone

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 6:04pm On Dec 19, 2013
macof:

which questions did I avoid

First, I asked you to tell me if you had ever told any of your Edo friends some of the stuff you'd been saying on this thread and to tell me what their reaction is/was. You didn't answer that and instead went on to tell about what you were told by one random guy you met in Abuja one time.

Second, I asked you to tell me why you (for some reason) believed that the peoples of Akoko Edo saw themselves as being "the same with Yoruba" like that one guy from Abuja, but instead of answering that you went on to start telling me about stuff I didn't ask about like what lingua franca they use (if they had been next to lots of Hausa speakers, they might be speaking Hausa today as a lingua franca - would that somehow make them "sibling tribes" to the Hausa who somehow share the same origin with the Hausa?) or who you think they share an origin with.

I told u Akoko( Akoko-Edo and Akoko-Ondo) speak Oyo language as well as their indigenous languages
Ask an Akoko person to tell u how he views the others across the state boarder

You've probably never met anyone from Akoko Edo. I actually have and they don't even refer to themselves as all being "Akoko people" (at least not the ones I met) because that's not who they are, and they don't conflate themselves with the people in the Akoko area of Ondo. Please tell me which person from the Akoko Edo area told you that his people were "Akoko people" who were of the same ethnic group with the people in Ondo and what his explanation for this point of view was.

You make seem as if Akoko-edo and Akok-ondo are totally different group of people undecided

If you had a true interest in those people (in Akoko Edo) besides mentioning them for the purpose of muddling up already understood classifications, you too would see that, in fact, they are different peoples.

Do you not get that the "Akoko" label in the term "Akoko Edo" is just a geographic reference to tie them all together? It's not some sort of attempt to tie them ethnically to other groups of people in an area of another state (Ondo) who have different indigenous languages from them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 6:27pm On Dec 19, 2013
I have another question for you Macof.

What is the point of all these new classifications? What purpose does it serve?

I have some idea of why linguists engage in classification schemes and classify different populations according to language, but what is the purpose of these (clearly not language-based) classifications you are carrying out?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 6:48pm On Dec 19, 2013
PhysicsQED:

First, I asked you to tell me if you had ever told any of your Edo friends some of the stuff you'd been saying on this thread and to tell me what their reaction is/was. You didn't answer that and instead went on to tell about what you were told by one random guy you met in Abuja one time.

Second, I asked you to tell me why you (for some reason) believed that the peoples of Akoko Edo saw themselves as being "the same with Yoruba" like that one guy from Abuja, but instead of answering that you went on to start telling me about stuff I didn't ask about like what lingua franca they use (if they had been next to lots of Hausa speakers, they might be speaking Hausa today as a lingua franca - would that somehow make them "sibling tribes" to the Hausa who somehow share the same origin with the Hausa?) or who you think they share an origin with.

Ok.
1. Every Edo born who knows his history and knows those his tribe has links with can't be surprised to hear that Edo and Owo Akure, Akoko-ondo are of the same ethnic group.

Today Owo, Akure, Akoko-Ondo are referred to as "Yoruba"
So wat makes Edo not in the same ethnic group with Yoruba people of today?

So their reaction is not to oppose but indifferent and such talks are Not always brought up by Me.

2. Because I see their relationship towards Yoruba of today
Akoko Edo people are always present in Akure cultural activities and also bini people are usually present

For u bringing up Hausa it shows that u are confused

Go to the North, Most non-Hausa communities that speak Hausa as a lingual franca are referred to as Hausa people, most of them don't even have a problem with them

You've probably never met anyone from Akoko Edo. I actually have and they don't even refer to themselves as all being "Akoko people" (at least not the ones I met) because that's not who they are, and they don't conflate themselves with the people in the Akoko area of Ondo. Please tell me which person from the Akoko Edo area told you that his people were "Akoko people" who were of the same ethnic group with the people in Ondo and what his explanation for this point of view was.
They refer to themselves with the name of their town, same with Ekiti people. An Ekiti would refer to himself with the name of his town.

Check above for the I've related that question

If you had a true interest in those people (in Akoko Edo) besides mentioning them for the purpose of muddling up already understood ethnic classifications, you too would see that, in fact, they are different peoples.

Do you not get that the "Akoko" label in the term "Akoko Edo" is just a geographic reference to tie them all together? It's not some sort of attempt to tie them ethnically to other groups of people in an area of another state (Ondo) who have different indigenous languages from them.

Geographical reference u say? Explain wat Geography brought them the name Akoko-Edo while u at that explain the same for Akoko-Ondo

And state how and why they are different as u claim
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nobody: 7:03pm On Dec 19, 2013
Pharoh: Igboid Languages

That is the classification of igboid languages and that is a language family because it is made up of closely related languages. So why should anyone with their right senses now claim that Ika is a dialect of igbo language when both Ika and igbo are listed as igboid languages.

The name igboid was used to name the family because igbo was the largest member and this is the same system that was applied in Edoid and Yoruboid family whereby you use the name of the largest member to form the family name.

See my problem with this classification:

Ezza-Ikwo-Izi etc are listed as seperate languages, whereas, Abiriba, Nsukka, Ehugbo, Okposi etc, which many people in the urban centres in the southeast hardly understand, are all subsumed under "Igbo proper". If we apply to "Igbo proper" the same principles which we used to seperate Ogbah and Ukwuani from "Igbo proper", we would find that "igbo proper" CAN be further split into as many as two score seperate languages. Which of these two score languages would you then call 'Igbo'? None. Igbo is simply a generic name, an 'umbrella' term, embracing cognate lects spoken east of the Edo speech area.

I personally think 'Igboid' is a misnomer. -oid means 'similar to'. So that 'Igboid' would mean 'similar to Igbo, but not Igbo'. The problem with this is that some of these so called 'Igboid' languages are more intelligible to me than some 'Igbo' dialects.I've never set foot in Ndokwa territory. Yet first time I heard my Obiaruku electrician speak to his brother on the phone, I understood almost everything he said; but I can hardly tell Afikpo dialect from Greek. We once had an Afikpo housegirl, and conversation with her was only possible if we used English.

Yet Afikpo is Igbo proper; and Ukwuani is Igboid.

Who is making the classification? Are they basing their studies purely on linguistics, or are they influenced by factors like group identity and geopolitical factors?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 7:40pm On Dec 19, 2013
macof:
Ok.
1. Every Edo born who knows his history and knows those his tribe has links with can't be surprised to hear that Edo and Owo Akure, Akoko-ondo are of the same ethnic group.

What does "of the same ethnic group" mean there? Speak clearly. Edo is an ethnic group in and of itself - if you refuse to acknowledge that, it might be because of some deep seated chauvinism or willful ignorance. That the Edo have links with other ethnic groups or subgroups of other ethnic groups is not denied by anybody, but that is not the issue here.

Today Owo, Akure, Akoko-Ondo are referred to as "Yoruba"
So wat makes Edo not in the same ethnic group with Yoruba people of today?

I don't even understand why this is a question or what you're failing to understand here. Perhaps you're just trolling. Edo is an ethnic group by itself. This is obvious.

So their reaction is not to oppose but indifferent and such talks are Not always brought up by Me.

If they were all "indifferent" to the things you claim, then why do you still stand by these claims?

2. Because I see their relationship towards Yoruba of today
Akoko Edo people are always present in Akure cultural activities and also bini people are usually present

How does your interpretation of "their relationship towards Yoruba of today" relate to how they see themselves? Why would you assume that entire groups see themselves as being "the same with" another ethnic group because you see some people at some cultural events?

For u bringing up Hausa it shows that u are confused

Go to the North, Most non-Hausa communities that speak Hausa as a lingual franca are referred to as Hausa people, most of them don't even have a problem with them

I'm not confused at all - it's not about what they're referred to or claimed to be by outsiders. It's about what they see themselves as. That is a very simple idea to understand.

They refer to themselves with the name of their town, same with Ekiti people. An Ekiti would refer to himself with the name of his town.

Check above for the I've related that question

Or their ethnicity ('tribe')! Not just the name of their town. "Uneme people", "Okpameri people" etc.

Geographical reference u say? Explain wat Geography brought them the name Akoko-Edo while u at that explain the same for Akoko-Ondo

And state how and why they are different as u claim

I don't know why the Akoko in Ondo are called that - that's obviously the original source of the name (Akoko). Perhaps that name has something to do with the sacred tree (akoko) found in Ondo and other places, or maybe the origin is something entirely different (one writer in the early 20th century claimed that the name was "given to them by the Filane" (i.e. Fulani raiders - that particular writer labeled those Nupes with partial Fulani ancestry that were carrying out raids as Fulani)).

But the Akoko Edo were so called not because of a particular ethnic affiliation to the Akoko in Ondo, but because they were perceived to be "Edo" (i.e. Edoid) people in the "Akoko" area (an area right next to where the Akoko people of Ondo are). That's why I said it was geographic.

As for "how/why they are different as I claim," the people themselves will tell you they're different, if you ever have the chance the meet any of them. They know who they are, and "Akoko Edo" is just a label to group them together. You're reading too much significance into that word (Akoko) beyond what is actually there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nowenuse: 1:08am On Dec 20, 2013
PhysicsQED and Big Francis. The akoko-edo ppl hv so much closness with akoko ondo, pls no doubt. I am presently in benin, edo state now, I have an akoko edo hostel mate nd believe me he always believed that his ppl were ancestrally from Ondo precisely, in fact I was the one who challenged him to som researches before he discoverd that they were more bini (Edo) than yoruba ancestrally. Those ppl r just mixed up. The igarras among dem have ebira origin mixed with yoruba elements. I'm in Uniben area and have 3 other friends from same akoko edo area from difrent tribes there, and believe me, these ppl r just too fit to be yorubas, yoruba (oyo) is almost all they speak. Do you know that there was/is a demand for the creation of Akoko state of which the Akoko-edo ppl were to be merged with with those akoko of Ondo state? Though I must say that many akoko edo ppl r now havin a firmer grip of their edo roots and some stopped answering their yoruba names (especially those who are more edo than yoruba). The conclusion is that the ppl are mixed. Some more Edoid and some more yoruboid. It's more than a thing of boundary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by tonychristopher: 7:37am On Dec 20, 2013
Pharoh: Igboid Languages

that's right....ika is a dialect of igbo and that's why its classified as IGBOID language not igbo been classified as ika ...ever heard of ikaoid language. igbo language is the umbrella where which ika,izza,owerre and ika. are under. its like classifying ijebus,okuns and owo as yoruboid language. these are dialects and there is small differences

ika ,izza,ukwuani,owerri,agbaenu are all igbo or igboid language ...how can you say igbo is an igboid language does it sound reasonable to you .

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:57am On Dec 20, 2013
Nowenuse: PhysicsQED and Big Francis. The akoko-edo ppl hv so much closness with akoko ondo, pls no doubt. I am presently in benin, edo state now, I have an akoko edo hostel mate nd believe me he always believed that his ppl were ancestrally from Ondo precisely, in fact I was the one who challenged him to som researches before he discoverd that they were more bini (Edo) than yoruba ancestrally. Those ppl r just mixed up. The igarras among dem have ebira origin mixed with yoruba elements. I'm in Uniben area and have 3 other friends from same akoko edo area from difrent tribes there, and believe me, these ppl r just too fit to be yorubas, yoruba (oyo) is almost all they speak. Do you know that there was/is a demand for the creation of Akoko state of which the Akoko-edo ppl were to be merged with with those akoko of Ondo state? Though I must say that many akoko edo ppl r now havin a firmer grip of their edo roots and some stopped answering their yoruba names (especially those who are more edo than yoruba). The conclusion is that the ppl are mixed. Some more Edoid and some more yoruboid. It's more than a thing of boundary.

I didn't say the Akoko Edo peoples were all one ethnically homogenous "Edoid" group, but the point is the Akoko label in that name isn't to tie them ethnically to the Akoko of Ondo - it's just total confusion about that name (Akoko Edo) to even think that. Also, from some of your previous comments in this thread, I'm not sure you're speaking from extensive knowledge about some of the things you've been saying. After you've made a statement like "there is really nothin like an Edo language" (in an earlier post) even while saying that you're residing in Benin city, where the language is called just that - Edo - how am I supposed to believe that you're interpreting all the things you hear and see around you correctly? Your only really relevant point in this post seemed to be that the Igarra are not speakers of "Edoid" languages natively - yeah, I know that, but I don't recall saying that they were. I don't even recall saying that every single group there (in Akoko Edo) was Edoid speaking. However, the overwhelming majority of those groups in Akoko Edo are speakers of "Edoid" languages - as in, their native languages have significant similarities with the Edo language. The exceptions as far as I can tell being the people of Ayanran, Kakumo, and Igarra. The Igarra don't claim to come from Ondo though they too use Yoruba as a lingua franca, and as for the non-Edoid language speaking towns of Ayanran and Kakumo, those are just two out of all the rest (state boundaries don't exactly mirror linguistic groups - there are also "Edoid" groups outside of Edo and Delta states). Virtually all the rest are speakers of "Edoid" languages natively and if there are groups claiming to be from Ondo (rather than from other places in Edo state, as is usual for people in that area), or claiming to be "mixed" you can list the specific group you're referring to, rather than lumping in the entire area as being "mixed" because of the lingua franca used there. Few (if any) groups in southern Nigeria have never had any segment of their population mix with their neighbors, but that doesn't change what the real ethnic classification of their overall group is.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 9:05am On Dec 20, 2013
Physics are you saying Akoko edo are edoid ? Because you are saying Akoko edo people have no affiliation with Akoko people.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 9:07am On Dec 20, 2013
Smh that's how physics and co were saying eko, akure are edo people. Smh
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:10am On Dec 20, 2013
alj harem: Physics are you saying Akoko edo are edoid ? Because you are saying Akoko edo people have no affiliation with Akoko people.

Alj Harem, there are multiple different groups in Akoko Edo and the vast majority of those groups do in fact speak "Edoid' languages natively. What do you see them as, and what affiliation (besides trade, being neighbors, or use of a lingua franca) do you see between them and the Akoko of Ondo?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:12am On Dec 20, 2013
alj harem: Smh that's how physics and co were saying eko, akure are edo people. Smh

I've actually never said anything like that at any time.

I recall that bokohalal said a while back that some elderly Edo people see certain Yoruba tribes (not 'Eko'/native Lagosians, though, but other groups) as Edo tribes. Maybe that's what's you're thinking of.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 9:18am On Dec 20, 2013
I don't think there is any point of arguing here. Edo is a language on it's own just like ijebu, owo, Akoko etc

I met an Akoko man during my stay in ondo. He is from akoko edo. Apart from his language is different from both edo and Yoruba, I mean very different example

Omo yi dun in Yoruba

Omo lukilu in Akoko whether Yoruba or Akoko edo

he categorically told me that he is Akoko and Yoruba. This was a fact he told me. infact he spoke better Yoruba than me. Least I forget this bini denial is just funny

The truth is that you cannot separate Akoko people.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 9:20am On Dec 20, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Alj Harem, there are multiple different groups in Akoko Edo and the vast majority of those groups do in fact speak "Edoid' languages natively. What do you see them as, and what affiliation (besides trade, being neighbors, or use of a lingua franca) do you see between them and the Akoko of Ondo?

Yes some are in ondo state and even kogi. Go read up on them. Sometimes they are called afemie people. Right ?
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:24am On Dec 20, 2013
alj harem:

Yes some are in ondo state and even kogi. Go read up on them. Sometimes they are called afemie people. Right ?

Afenmai is a word to group all the peoples in Edo north together, not just the Akoko Edo peoples. Some of them move to the north occasionally or move to other states. I don't see what the relevance of that is to the discussion that was occurring on this thread.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:29am On Dec 20, 2013
alj harem: I don't think there is any point of arguing here. Edo is a language on it's own just like ijebu, owo, Akoko etc

I met an Akoko man during my stay in ondo. He is from akoko edo. Apart from his language is different from both edo and Yoruba, I mean very different example

Omo yi dun in Yoruba

Omo lukilu in Akoko whether Yoruba or Akoko edo

he categorically told me that he is Akoko and Yoruba. This was a fact he told me. infact he spoke better Yoruba than me. Least I forget this bini denial is just funny

The truth is that you cannot separate Akoko people.

Either you met someone from Ayanran or Kakumo or Igarra that had moved to Ondo and settled in, or the man didn't know his native language, or (and this is possible, given your antecedents) this is a completely made up story. This "Akoko people" stuff as it relates to the Akoko Edo is something I already commented on and I don't intend to repeat myself again on the very same thread.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 9:34am On Dec 20, 2013
PhysicsQED:

I've actually never said anything like that at any time.

I recall that bokohalal said a while back that some elderly Edo people see certain Yoruba tribes (not 'Eko'/native Lagosians, though, but other groups) as Edo tribes. Maybe that's what's you're thinking of.

Just as some elderly Yoruba people see some edo as Yoruba tribe.

Obanikoro, eletu etc were originally edo chiefs right ? Thus they can still claim edo but why are they not claiming edo ? Answer the question.

It is quite petty of you to keep ringing it into our ears that edos are separate, can never be Yoruba etc I mean it makes no difference. All Yoruba are trying to do is rekindle the relationship we had before the formation of Nigeria.

Binis are proud today to an extent edo people are proud because they can claim they extended to benin republic etc no Yoruba or ogu tribe has disputed that so why are you always antagonizing the yorubas when they talk if link with the edo ?

Binis went through egun, awori, ijebu, mahen, ilaje, akure, Akoko, ekiti, ondo, owo etc and today these people are part of the common wealth of the Yoruba nation what makes bini different from us I ask ? Don't let igbos influence your thinking ways and be objective.

In life when someone extends a hand of friendship you accept it if genuine not push the hand back at him
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 9:37am On Dec 20, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Either you met someone from Ayanran or Kakumo or Igarra that had moved to Ondo and settled in, or the man didn't know his native language, or (and this is possible, given your antecedents) this is a completely made up story. This "Akoko people" stuff as it relates to the Akoko Edo is something I already commented on and I don't intend to repeat myself again on the very same thread.

Made up story ? What are you talking about ? I am telling you what happened yet you are denying my experience. I don't understand you oh
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by coolest01(m): 9:41am On Dec 20, 2013
PhysicsQED:

calm down. Im from akoko edo...ojah is the name of my village,close to ososo.people that know that area of edo state will know that akoko edo people although edo state by origin have close ties with the akoko people from ondo state(yoruba). We the akoko edo people especially from ojah have a different language entirely differnt from the benin or the yoruba. We even borrowed more words from the yorubas than from other edo tribes. Hence,we are very capable of speaking yoruba fluently

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:52am On Dec 20, 2013
alj harem:

Just as some elderly Yoruba people see some edo as Yoruba tribe.

Obanikoro, eletu etc were originally edo chiefs right ? Thus they can still claim edo but why are they not claiming edo ? Answer the question.

It is quite petty of you to keep ringing it into our ears that edos are separate, can never be Yoruba etc I mean it makes no difference. All Yoruba are trying to do is rekindle the relationship we had before the formation of Nigeria.

Binis are proud today to an extent edo people are proud because they can claim they extended to benin republic etc no Yoruba or ogu tribe has disputed that so why are you always antagonizing the yorubas when they talk if link with the edo ?

Binis went through egun, awori, ijebu, mahen, ilaje, akure, Akoko, ekiti, ondo, owo etc and today these people are part of the common wealth of the Yoruba nation what makes bini different from us I ask ? Don't let igbos influence your thinking ways and be objective.

In life when someone extends a hand of friendship you accept it if genuine not push the hand back at him

Stop distorting the meaning of my posts. I don't see how or why Obanikoro or Eletu chiefs would be claiming to be Edo because of a presumed Edo origin centuries ago and I don't see what relevance that has to anything I've been saying to macof or other posters in this thread.

I don't recall commenting in any way on "the relationship Yoruba groups had before the formation of Nigeria," where Benin "went through" or the issue of a "hand of friendship" from other groups in this thread. I also don't recall "ringing" anything into anyone's ears. In fact, I had been ignoring this thread for a while to see if it the discussion would resolve itself without the possibility of me having to comment, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. When I did comment, it wasn't to attack anybody or drill anything into anyone's ears, but to express disagreement. And for you to even characterize my discussion with macof where I simply disagreed with him over his numerous attempts to deny that Edo was an ethnic group (that is not a "hand of friendship" whether you want to admit it or not) as "ringing" something into your ears or "antagonizing" anybody is annoying. If you can't assess my posts dispassionately within the context of the thread without reading non-existent offense into inoffensive statements, then don't bother commenting towards me in this thread.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 9:56am On Dec 20, 2013
coolest01: calm down. Im from akoko edo...ojah is the name of my village,close to ososo.people that know that area of edo state will know that akoko edo people although edo state by origin have close ties with the akoko people from ondo state(yoruba). We the akoko edo people especially from ojah have a different language entirely differnt from the benin or the yoruba. We even borrowed more words from the yorubas than from other edo tribes. Hence,we are very capable of speaking yoruba fluently

Oga thank you oh. that is the point macof and i have been trying to pass across to him. As macof said, who are the yorubas

it is noy about common languge but about common history

heck my native language is different from oyo or ekiti. i am awori- egun

egu is different from egba

akoko is different from owo

infact the closes language ties are itsekiri and ijebu

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:57am On Dec 20, 2013
alj harem:

Made up story ? What are you talking about ? I am telling you what happened yet you are denying my experience. I don't understand you oh

I didn't say it was necessarily made up, but I just don't take everything you say on here (NL) at face value anymore, since you did spend a lot of time on here pretending to be from different ethnic groups (Kanuri, Kanuri +Igbo, etc.).
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 9:58am On Dec 20, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Stop distorting the meaning of my posts. I don't see how or why Obanikoro or Eletu chiefs would be claiming to be Edo because of a presumed Edo origin centuries ago and I don't see what relevance that has to anything I've been saying to macof or other posters in this thread.

I don't recall commenting in any way on "the relationship Yoruba groups had before the formation of Nigeria," where Benin "went through" or the issue of a "hand of friendship" from other groups in this thread. I also don't recall "ringing" anything into anyone's ears. In fact, I had been ignoring this thread for a while to see if it the discussion would resolve itself without the possibility of me having to comment, but unfortunately that wasn't the case. When I did comment, it wasn't to attack anybody or drill anything into anyone's ears, but to express disagreement. And for you to even characterize my discussion with macof where I simply disagreed with him over his numerous attempts to deny that Edo was an ethnic group (that is not a "hand of friendship" whether you want to admit it or not) as "ringing" something into your ears or "antagonizing" anybody is annoying. If you can't assess my posts dispassionately within the context of the thread without reading non-existent offense into inoffensive statements, then don't bother commenting towards me in this thread.

Why are you animated ? what is annoying you ? the question is how is edo ethnic group different from ekiti or akoko ?

what qualifies them as an ethnic group ?
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 9:58am On Dec 20, 2013
PhysicsQED:

I didn't say it was necessarily made up, but I just don't take everything you say on here (NL) at face value anymore, since you did spend a lot of time on here pretending to be from different ethnic groups (Kanuri, Kanuri +Igbo, etc.).

And so I MEAN how does that change the facts i have stated
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:08am On Dec 20, 2013
coolest01: calm down. Im from akoko edo...ojah is the name of my village,close to ososo.people that know that area of edo state will know that akoko edo people although edo state by origin have close ties with the akoko people from ondo state(yoruba). We the akoko edo people especially from ojah have a different language entirely differnt from the benin or the yoruba. We even borrowed more words from the yorubas than from other edo tribes. Hence,we are very capable of speaking yoruba fluently

I don't recall saying people from Akoko Edo speak the same language as people in Benin. Are you sure you understood my previous posts? I don't know of a single native language in Akoko Edo that is mutually intelligible with the language of Benin (Edo) or Yoruba ('Oyo'), but then again that was never the issue. The issue is, do you see yourself as "the same with" those in Ondo? Having or not having "close ties" or speaking Yoruba isn't even the issue. Are you guys in Ojah "the same with" (ethnically) the Akoko in Ondo?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:10am On Dec 20, 2013
alj harem:

Why are you animated ? what is annoying you ? the question is how is edo ethnic group different from ekiti or akoko ?

what qualifies them as an ethnic group ?

Not really "animated," just annoyed at the way you post sometimes. It's annoying when people read unintended offense into simple statements of disagreement. Your other two questions aren't really worth answering, but if I somehow suddenly agreed with you (and apparently macof), that Edo isn't an ethnic group, but just part of some vaguely defined "southeastern Yoruba ethnic group," would that make you happy? And would it not even bother you that it's not even true?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by coolest01(m): 10:18am On Dec 20, 2013
PhysicsQED:

I don't recall saying people from Akoko Edo speak the same language as people in Benin. Are you sure you understood my previous posts? I don't know of a single native language in Akoko Edo that is mutually intelligible with the language of Benin (Edo) or Yoruba ('Oyo'), but then again that was never the issue. The issue is, do you see yourself as "the same with" those in Ondo? Having or not having "close ties" or speaking Yoruba isn't even the issue. Are you guys in Ojah "the same with" (ethnically) the Akoko in Ondo?
i wasnt referring to ur previous posts,i was only trying to clear the air by stating facts about my own group. And to answer ur question,we in ojah are not the same (ethnically) with those in akoko,ondo state

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 10:23am On Dec 20, 2013
coolest01: i wasnt referring to ur previous posts,i was only trying to clear the air by stating facts about my own group. And to answer ur question,we in ojah are not the same (ethnically) with those in akoko,ondo state

Okay, understood. And my apologies for misinterpreting your earlier post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife, His Wife And High Chiefs Worship At A Church In Canada. Photos / Nigerian Doll Created By Taofik Okoya Now Outselling White Dolls Barbie / Hausa Hero And Warrior Queen Amina Of Zaria Full History,life And Legendary Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.