Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:47 PM

Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? (39125 Views)

If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here. Everybody Is Invited! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 10:52am On Dec 20, 2013
Radoillo II, kedu ife melu account gi nke ozo - Radoillo?
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Pharoh: 11:40am On Dec 20, 2013
Radoillo II:

See my problem with this classification:

Who is making the classification? Are they basing their studies purely on linguistics, or are they influenced by factors like group identity and geopolitical factors?

The classification is made by researchers and competent organizations that are regarded as competent authorities to do so. The igbo proper thing came about the whole union, central and standard igbo idea. If you want a break down of the igbo proper into their constituent ethnic group identity and language then i can give you the link of one igbo researcher that made it possible. Most organization do not see a need of that because most igboid groups in the south east already adopted igbo as their ethnicity and igbo as their language.

There is nothing like one igbo people speaking one igbo language and dialects spread all over the place. The igboid term is used to group similar languages and the igbo term is used to group ethnicities with similarities between them. There is absolutely no point to disturb these ethnic groups of being igbo as people should go about their daily lives with their ethnic identity and language. The German generic term is made up of people with different ethnicities and languages but no one is disturbing all of them to adopt one name and language as they are all separated in their own countries.

So igbos of the south east should leave the other ethnic groups to be whatever they want to be because it absolutely makes no sense to ask someone to drop his or her ethnic identity or language and adopt a generic igbo term and created igbo language.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 20, 2013
bigfrancis21: Radoillo II, kedu ife melu account gi nke ozo - Radoillo?

Nna, munwa amaro. I typed in my password one morning and it was rejected.

And I can no longer access this site with a PC. Each time I try, I get a message that this site is not safe, and my system automatically logs me out. Phone ka m na e-use now.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 20, 2013
Pharoh:

The classification is made by researchers and competent organizations that are regarded as competent authorities to do so. The igbo proper thing came about the whole union, central and standard igbo idea. If you want a break down of the igbo proper into their constituent ethnic group identity and language then i can give you the link of one igbo researcher that made it possible. Most organization do not see a need of that because most igboid groups in the south east already adopted igbo as their ethnicity and igbo as their language.

There is nothing like one igbo people speaking one igbo language and dialects spread all over the place. The igboid term is used to group similar languages and the igbo term is used to group ethnicities with similarities between them. There is absolutely no point to disturb these ethnic groups of being igbo as people should go about their daily lives with their ethnic identity and language. The German generic term is made up of people with different ethnicities and languages but no one is disturbing all of them to adopt one name and language as they are all separated in their own countries.

So igbos of the south east should leave the other ethnic groups to be whatever they want to be because it absolutely makes no sense to ask someone to drop his or her ethnic identity or language and adopt a generic igbo term and created igbo language.

There are many areas on which we agree. I don't make it my business how anybody chooses to identify himself. And I don't understand my igbo brothers who exert themselves on this forum over the issue of whether certain south-south groups should ethnically identify as igbo or not. There are south-south people who identify as igbo; there are south-south people who DON'T. We all should be able to live with that.

My problem is only with the linguistic aspect of things, and not ethnic identity. The Austrians , for example, are increasingly viewing themselves as an ethnic group distinct from the Germans. They don't have to reclassify their tongue as Germanoid for that distinction they want to be realizable. Language and ethnicity don't neccessarily have to go together.

I believe the linguistic classification that uses such terms as 'Igboid' fails to take into consideration how diverse "Igbo proper" is. It's like saying Zulu and Xhosa are Nguni proper, and Ndebele and Swazi are Ngunoid. Kay Williamson was one of the earliest linguists to make such a distinction (Igbo-Igboid), and she wasn't objective in her classification. She was influenced in her conclusions by post-1970 political considerations.

Let me try and make myself a little clearer: if you say the Ogbah people of Rivers speak Igboid. Then it means that a monolithic Igbo language has been identified, and the Ogbah only speak a tongue similar to that monolithic Igbo. But monolithic Igbo doesn't exist: Ogbah is as different from Oratta, as Ngwa is different from Nkanu. The linguiststs (who you consider competent) clearly haven't done a neat job here.

Since monolithic Igbo doesn't exist, then Igboid is a superfulous term. We all speak cognate tongues (dialects or languages, call it whichever you like) which I think it is fair to group as 'Igbo'; igbo being as all embracing as 'Nguni' (Zulu, Xhosa etc) or 'Akan'(Asante, Fante) or 'Latin' (French, Spanish etc).

Note that I only disagree with the classification scheme, which honestly shows the linguists' lack of understanding of the language situation in this part of southern Nigeria. People speaking different Igbo languages/dialects may ethnically identify themselves however they like; ethnicity is, after all, often a political issue.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 3:05pm On Dec 20, 2013
Radoillo II:

Nna, munwa amaro. I typed in my password one morning and it was rejected.

And I can no longer access this site with a PC. Each time I try, I get a message that this site is not safe, and my system automatically logs me out. Phone ka m na e-use now.

Ah. Nke anwa bukwa ezigbo okwu o. Nsogbu adiro.

I ya-ejizi nke a melu gaba. cheesy
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by tonychristopher: 3:57pm On Dec 20, 2013
Pharoh:

NO BODY HAS TOLgrin THEM NOT TO BE CLANISH BUT THERE ARE IGBOS OF OTHER PLACES LIKE ONICHA UGBO,ALONA,OSHIMILIS ASABA,ETCHE, NDONI ETC THAT AGREE THAT THEY ARE IGBO...WHAT DO YOU DO ABOUT THESE ?
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bokohalal(m): 3:59pm On Dec 20, 2013
coolest01: calm down. Im from akoko edo...ojah is the name of my village,close to ososo.people that know that area of edo state will know that akoko edo people although edo state by origin have close ties with the akoko people from ondo state(yoruba). We the akoko edo people especially from ojah have a different language entirely differnt from the benin or the yoruba. We even borrowed more words from the yorubas than from other edo tribes. Hence,we are very capable of speaking yoruba fluently
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Pharoh: 4:55pm On Dec 20, 2013
tonychristopher:

NO BODY HAS TOLgrin THEM NOT TO BE CLANISH BUT THERE ARE IGBOS OF OTHER PLACES LIKE ONICHA UGBO,ALONA,OSHIMILIS ASABA,ETCHE, NDONI ETC THAT AGREE THAT THEY ARE IGBO...WHAT DO YOU DO ABOUT THESE ?

It has always been a free world for us unlike you guys so you will never see me discussing about other people except citing examples to present my case. I don't even argue with any anioma person that says he is igbo as it is a live free and let me live world for us. It is never a do or die affair so there is absolutely nothing i will do about it. A time will come in the future where the issue will be settled once and for all so i am not loosing sweat about that but i definitely know the majority sentiment in my ethnic space. Anyone is totally free to be igbo and anyone is totally free not to be igbo, if this choice is a basis for enmity then i can boldly say you definitely are not civilized and socially evolved. If this choice is not a basis for enmity then you will not be loosing sleep about peoples identity and language because that does not affect every possible cooperation that can exist between the two groups. No ukwuani man regards you guys as enemies despite our stand for ethnic determination but it is the opposite for you guys here and it very troubling to say the least.

What i am definitely sure of is that you can form your igbo only country but if the structure and system you eventually implement is not working then these groups that shout igbo will start shouting that they want to break away so don't shout for joy yet. This is the same reason people were shouting that anambra north has not ruled anambra state before because the whole igbo identity is a ruse fit for selfish political and economic reasons only. If there is a strong ideology behind the igbo identity then you will not be seeing Imo versus anambra thread here on nairaland or abia state deporting or sacking other igbos from the other states in their civil service. So you can continue in your shallow igbo identity that is not rooted on solid grounds but solely for opportunistic reasons only.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Ngbokwu: 9:49pm On Dec 20, 2013
Pharoh:

It has always been a free world for us unlike you guys so you will never see me discussing about other people except citing examples to present my case. I don't even argue with any anioma person that says he is igbo as it is a live free and let me live world for us. It is never a do or die affair so there is absolutely nothing i will do about it. A time will come in the future where the issue will be settled once and for all so i am not loosing sweat about that but i definitely know the majority sentiment in my ethnic space. Anyone is totally free to be igbo and anyone is totally free not to be igbo, if this choice is a basis for enmity then i can boldly say you definitely are not civilized and socially evolved. If this choice is not a basis for enmity then you will not be loosing sleep about peoples identity and language because that does not affect every possible cooperation that can exist between the two groups. No ukwuani man regards you guys as enemies despite our stand for ethnic determination but it is the opposite for you guys here and it very troubling to say the least.

What i am definitely sure of is that you can form your igbo only country but if the structure and system you eventually implement is not working then these groups that shout igbo will start shouting that they want to break away so don't shout for joy yet. This is the same reason people were shouting that anambra north has not ruled anambra state before because the whole igbo identity is a ruse fit for selfish political and economic reasons only. If there is a strong ideology behind the igbo identity then you will not be seeing Imo versus anambra thread here on nairaland or abia state deporting or sacking other igbos from the other states in their civil service. So you can continue in your shallow igbo identity that is not rooted on solid grounds but solely for opportunistic reasons only.
Shut up for once. Why does anything Igbo choke you?.
If Igbo is not rooted, why do you have people who bear names such as Igbo, Igbokwe, Igboamaka, Igboanugo, OluIgbo etc.
Shut up.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Pharoh: 10:35pm On Dec 20, 2013
Ngbọkwụ:
Shut up for once. Why does anything Igbo choke you?.
If Igbo is not rooted, why do you have people who bear names such as Igbo, Igbokwe, Igboamaka, Igboanugo, OluIgbo etc.
Shut up.

To show the solidness of the igbo identity is to now present those stupid examples above? do you know what it means to be a German or Chinese or Jewish?. Some of you are just so daft about the whole igbo thing and not fit to make a convincing five minute presentation of why someone should be igbo. I will always repeat my word that reality will dawn on you guys in the future when Nigeria breaks apart because you definitely do not know how to build bridges or reach out to other people. You are too blind to see the defects in your society and thinks the solution to the effects of this defects is to have your own igbo identity or country.

I think it is time this thread goes back to the original discussion so this is where it stops for me and thanks for the little discussion @radoillo. I have read your response and if you research well then you will see a breakdown of the igbo proper. To me it doesn't make sense to break the igbo proper down anymore when you guys are already igbo centric so that is a possible explanation for that igbo proper term. I am not continuing this discussion anymore because of the usual direction that it is heading to now so please try to understand that.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nowenuse: 1:11am On Dec 21, 2013
As for those here who are claiming that there is a language like Edo language, I seriously laugh at them. I make it bold to say that dat identity edo is just by means of being from the same state (political) or by ancestry. Ethnically and linguistically, these ppl r very quite different. Some ppl here evn attribute 'Edo' only to 'Bini' cultures. Yes d ancient Bini kingdom is d root of all Edo nd Edoid ppls, no doubt. Many Edo ppll dnt like to identify themselvs with dat common identity 'Edo' ethnically. They prefer to answer Bini, Esan, Etsakor, Owan e.t.c. Though they manage som levels of similarities amongst themselvs, but the Bini (edo south) man knows the Etsakor (edo north) man is as far frm him culturally as the Urhobo man in delta state. Within Bini, there r numerous dialects, within Etsakor, there are evn dialects that don't understand each other and use pidgin as a general language. An Esan man nd bini man meets and pidgin english is their general language just as the bini man and d urhobo man. They is no central Edo dialect that all Edo tribes use as a general tongue unlike Igbos and yorubas have despite their very distinct dialect nd sub-cultures. I really think to a large extent, that defines ethnicity. That no mata how their individual dialects are, they should have a common dialect (native 2their ethnicity) that unites them. Rather u have central Esan dialect that all d various Esan dialects speak, u have central bini that all the bini dialects speak. These so called 'one edo ppl' have no general cultural days, organisations, symbols and practices that bind them together, unlike u have Afenifere, Ohaneze e.t.c. Pls ppl should really try to get that. Esan see themselvs as much edo as bini or etsakor, only that bini is like the motherland where they all agree of their origin. Prior to the breakin of Old Bendel state, there was really nothin like an 'edo identity' where Esan, bini n Etsakor see themselvs as one very different from the urhobo, anioma (delta igbos) and ijaws. No! Urhobos are as much of ancient bini origin as etsakors are, only that they are now in a different state, with typically difrent non-edoid neighbours like ijaw nd anioma.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nowenuse: 1:22am On Dec 21, 2013
Radoillo II:

There are many areas on which we agree. I don't make it my business how anybody chooses to identify himself. And I don't understand my igbo brothers who exert themselves on this forum over the issue of whether certain south-south groups should ethnically identify as igbo or not. There are south-south people who identify as igbo; there are south-south people who DON'T. We all should be able to live with that.

My problem is only with the linguistic aspect of things, and not ethnic identity. The Austrians , for example, are increasingly viewing themselves as an ethnic group distinct from the Germans. They don't have to reclassify their tongue as Germanoid for that distinction they want to be realizable. Language and ethnicity don't neccessarily have to go together.

I believe the linguistic classification that uses such terms as 'Igboid' fails to take into consideration how diverse "Igbo proper" is. It's like saying Zulu and Xhosa are Nguni proper, and Ndebele and Swazi are Ngunoid. Kay Williamson was one of the earliest linguists to make such a distinction (Igbo-Igboid), and she wasn't objective in her classification. She was influenced in her conclusions by post-1970 political considerations.

Let me try and make myself a little clearer: if you say the Ogbah people of Rivers speak Igboid. Then it means that a monolithic Igbo language has been identified, and the Ogbah only speak a tongue similar to that monolithic Igbo. But monolithic Igbo doesn't exist: Ogbah is as different from Oratta, as Ngwa is different from Nkanu. The linguiststs (who you consider competent) clearly haven't done a neat job here.

Since monolithic Igbo doesn't exist, then Igboid is a superfulous term. We all speak cognate tongues (dialects or languages, call it whichever you like) which I think it is fair to group as 'Igbo'; igbo being as all embracing as 'Nguni' (Zulu, Xhosa etc) or 'Akan'(Asante, Fante) or 'Latin' (French, Spanish etc).

Note that I only disagree with the classification scheme, which honestly shows the linguists' lack of understanding of the language situation in this part of southern Nigeria. People speaking different Igbo languages/dialects may ethnically identify themselves however they like; ethnicity is, after all, often a political issue.

Kudos bros. U made so much sense with this your explanation, especially with that term 'monolithic igbo'. wink wink

Pls let me ask u, all these rivers igbo (ekpeye, ogba, nkwerre) and delta igbo (ndokwa, ika, anochia), do they speak central igbo as a general language amongst themselvs and with the south-eastern igbos? Am not so sure.....
because I know many anioma do not speak central igbo but may only hear.
I guess this has been a major reason 4d distancin and mayb little of politics and regional classification. because I feel they may deem all those south-eastern igbos who use a common central igbo as 'igbo ethnically', and they who are not part of that circle but somewhat close as 'Igboid' or NOT IGBO.
Bcause I seriously doubt that if an ika and Ndokwa man were speakin central igbo with demselvs as a general tongue (to supplement their distinct tongues) just as an Owerri man and an Mbaise man will do (to also supplement their distict tongues), will then start denying their igboness or igbo oneness. I think d problem with some of u is dat u don't understand d power of a common uniting language.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 4:59am On Dec 21, 2013
Nowenuse: As for those here who are claiming that there is a language like Edo language, I seriously laugh at them.

By all means, do pursue whatever your agenda is on this thread, but please, while doing so, don't mislead other people with incorrect information.

The language spoken by the people of the city you said you are residing in (Benin city) is called Edo by those who speak it (the 'Bini' (Edo) people). It's rarely called 'Bini' by those who speak it, and no older 'Bini' (Edo) person with the least bit of familiarity with his/her culture calls it that - at the very most, a younger Bini person abroad might refer to it that way. The rest of those languages (Esan dialects, Etsako dialects, Owan dialects, etc.) in Edo state are sometimes called "Edoid" by academics or laymen who picked up the term from academics, in order to indicate that they are "similar to Edo" (that they have linguistic similarities to the language of the 'Bini'). However, calling non-Bini groups from the old Bendel state that speak closely related languages (to that of the Bini) by the name Edo or calling them Edo people is more of a modern thing - and there definitely isn't anything wrong with doing that - but understand that the frequent use of "Bini" is just to specify a particular group and avoid possible confusion about what group one is referring to - it's not that it's truly a proper term.

Also please don't give people the impression that the 'Bini' actually "prefer to answer Bini." It's not even remotely true that the "Bini," prefer to answer to the name Bini either in reference to the people or the language. The preference is for the word Edo. If Edo is not used - perhaps to avoid confusion about what group is being referred to - then the preference is for terms like "Benin people" or "Benin language." I am yet to see this supposed fondness for the term "Bini" on the part of the Bini manifest itself in real life after growing up in a Bini family and interacting with Bini friends and relatives throughout my life - neither parents nor any other family members used the term. Frequent use of the term Bini by Nigerians (whether Bini or non-Bini) occurs just to indicate a specific group of people and avoid any possible modern day confusion (over whether one is referring to the 'Bini' alone, or to other surrounding groups as well), not because the people themselves (the Edo/'Bini'/Benin people) have some particular fondness for the term. Also, it's just not true that "Within Bini, there r numerous dialects," as you stated in your post. That's also incorrect. As for the rest of what you posted, I don't think that anything you wrote was any sort of new revelation to anybody. As far as I can tell, no one in this thread was claiming that the Edo language ('Bini') is mutually intelligible with any Etsako dialects, Owan dialects, etc. or that there is some sort of "all unifying central Edo dialect" (such as the type Enahoro and others wanted to construct) or any of the other things you referenced in the rest of your post.

Just let the matter rest. Whatever good points you wanted to make in your earlier posts, you've already made, and now you're just veering off into stuff you seem not to have actually looked into.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bigfrancis21: 6:39am On Dec 21, 2013
Nowenuse:

Kudos bros. U made so much sense with this your explanation, especially with that term 'monolithic igbo'. wink wink

Pls let me ask u, all these rivers igbo (ekpeye, ogba, nkwerre) and delta igbo (ndokwa, ika, anochia), do they speak central igbo as a general language amongst themselvs and with the south-eastern igbos? Am not so sure.....
I guess this has been a major reason 4d distancin and mayb little of politics and regional classification. because I feel they may deem all those south-eastern igbos who use a common central igbo as 'igbo ethnically', and they who are not part of that circle but somewhat close as 'Igboid' or NOT IGBO.
Bcause I seriously doubt that if an ika and Ndokwa man were speakin central igbo with demselvs as a general tongue (to supplement their distinct tongues) just as an Owerri man and an Mbaise man will do (to also supplement their distict tongues), will then start denying their igboness or igbo oneness. I think d problem with some of u is dat u don't understand d power of a common uniting language.

Yea, the Rivers people speak central Igbo among themselves. Its one interesting thing about them. When the Ikwerre man meets an Etche man, they speak central Igbo and not pidgin English like in Edo state.

When you arrive in port-harcourt, you'll think you've arrived in another Igbo town. It is one anyway. You hear Igbo spoken everywhere - on the streets, in the market, etc. Church services are held in Igbo with Igbo songs renting the air. Igbo is deeply rooted and used there such that many kalabari and okirikans speak Igbo fluently. An example is Patience Jonathan from Okirika who speaks Igbo like a native.

Also, Rivers Igbo dialects are very easy to understand. Their Igbo is the same with what you'll hear in other southern Igbo cities of Aba, Owerri. They are 90% the same with central Igbo already. So they might not necessarily feel the need to speak 'central Igbo' when what they are speaking is already 90% central Igbo. When the Ikwerre man, or Etche man, or Ndoni man speaks, you'll understand him clearly. Its just like Onitsha Igbo which is very easy to understand and speak. Because everybody understands Onitsha, the Onitsha man rarely feels the need to speak central Igbo since you'll understand him when he speaks. You should know central Igbo was gotten from all the Igbo dialects and that the vocabulary(words) of central Igbo is mostly from southern Igbo(Imo, Abia, Rivers) while the sentence lexis and structure are from Northern Igbo(Anambra, Delta Igbo, Enugu). Onitsha people and Anambra in general rarely speak central Igbo yet you'll understand them perfectly and they are proud Igbos. The only time Anambra people feel compelled to speak central Igbo is when with people from other states, and despite that they still speak Anambra Igbo(Onitsha precisely) because everybody will still understand it and also, many Igbos love the Anambra Igbo dialect. You'll see here that speaking central Igbo isn't a must or factor that makes a group 'properly Igbo'.

One other thing I'll like you to know is that central Igbo was constructed mostly for speakers of Igbo dialects which are very difficult to understand by other Igbos. Dialects such as Owerri and Mbaise(imo), Arochukwu(Abia), Nsukka and Nkanu(Enugu), Ikwo, Izzi, Ohaozara(Ebonyi), Ohaji/Egbema(Imo and Rivers) Igbo, etc are difficult to understand by an Igbo from other areas. So these people often speak central Igbo to other Igbos and speak their respective dialects within themselves.

I once read a website where it was written that the Ikas use central Igbo or their dialect in public meetings and official matters. I was shocked to read that, coming from a group where many deny being Igbo.

You made mention of Owerri and Mbaise. Owerri and Mbaise Igbo are virtually the same, save for a few word differences and each group converse in Owerri/Mbaise together.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 7:12am On Dec 21, 2013
PhysicsQED:

By all means, do pursue whatever your agenda is on this thread, but please, while doing so, don't mislead other people with incorrect information.

The language spoken by the people of the city you said you are residing in (Benin city) is called Edo by those who speak it (the 'Bini' (Edo) people). It's rarely called 'Bini' by those who speak it, and no older 'Bini' (Edo) person with the least bit of familiarity with his/her culture calls it that - at the very most, a younger Bini person abroad might refer to it that way. The rest of those languages (Esan dialects, Etsako dialects, Owan dialects, etc.) in Edo state are sometimes called "Edoid" by academics or laymen who picked up the term from academics, in order to indicate that they are "similar to Edo" (that they have linguistic similarities to the language of the 'Bini'). However, calling non-Bini groups from the old Bendel state that speak closely related languages (to that of the Bini) by the name Edo or calling them Edo people is more of a modern thing - and there definitely isn't anything wrong with doing that - but understand that the frequent use of "Bini" is just to specify a particular group and avoid possible confusion about what group one is referring to - it's not that it's truly a proper term.

Also please don't give people the impression that the 'Bini' actually "prefer to answer Bini." It's not even remotely true that the "Bini," prefer to answer to the name Bini either in reference to the people or the language. The preference is for the word Edo. If Edo is not used - perhaps to avoid confusion about what group is being referred to - then the preference is for terms like "Benin people" or "Benin language." I am yet to see this supposed fondness for the term "Bini" on the part of the Bini manifest itself in real life after growing up in a Bini family and interacting with Bini friends and relatives throughout my life - neither parents nor any other family members used the term. Frequent use of the term Bini by Nigerians (whether Bini or non-Bini) occurs just to indicate a specific group of people and avoid any possible modern day confusion (over whether one is referring to the 'Bini' alone, or to other surrounding groups as well), not because the people themselves (the Edo/'Bini'/Benin people) have some particular fondness for the term. Also, it's just not true that "Within Bini, there r numerous dialects," as you stated in your post. That's also incorrect. As for the rest of what you posted, I don't think that anything you wrote was any sort of new revelation to anybody. As far as I can tell, no one in this thread was claiming that the Edo language ('Bini') is mutually intelligible with any Etsako dialects, Owan dialects, etc. or that there is some sort of "all unifying central Edo dialect" (such as the type Enahoro and others wanted to construct) or any of the other things you referenced in the rest of your post.

Just let the matter rest. Whatever good points you wanted to make in your earlier posts, you've already made, and now you're just veering off into stuff you seem not to have actually looked into.
All he was saying is that the people in Edo state don't have that Oneness as Igbo and Yoruba of today because there's no unifying language. Every tribe speaks his own language that is difficult for any tribe to understand and there's nothing they can do except speak pidgin.

I found his mistake with saying there's nothing like Edo language but I understand his point of view because the whole of Edo(state) don't have a general language.
The only Edo is the bini people and their language hasn't been influencing their neighbors enough for them to have it as a lingual franca unlike the Yoruba who use Oyo language as a lingual franca

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:30am On Dec 21, 2013
macof:
All he was saying is that the people in Edo state don't have that Oneness as Igbo and Yoruba of today because there's no unifying language. Every tribe speaks his own language that is difficult for any tribe to understand and there's nothing they can do except speak pidgin.

I understood his post just fine, and I didn't say that I disagreed with this aspect of his post, I just pointed out that it seemed that no one had actually claimed that there was a unifying language in the thread to begin with, and I also noted that there was some serious misinformation in his post. As long as he refrains from presenting some incorrect statements as reality, then I have no real issue with his expression of his opinions in the thread.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nobody: 10:24am On Dec 21, 2013
Nowenuse:

In addition to what Francis has said, I'm not sure I understand what people mean when they say 'central Igbo'. I'm going to assume it means the 'academic Igbo' taught in schools and used in the media and in literature.

Nobody I've ever met speaks this 'central igbo'. People who grew up in metropolitan Aba speak something quite close to it; at least to me, it sounds pretty close to it. But it's not quite it. There are many pronounced differences.

There is no unifying dialect which Igbos use in communicating among themselves.That's one of the things people fail to understand: There is no spoken central igbo. I don't speak any 'central'. I understand it though. I grew up speaking the Township Enugu dialect. Later I learnt my own native Awka dialect, and sometimes I mix up the two. These are the only igbo variants I speak.

There's been some "language dilution" which makes it easier for us to understand one another than it was 150 years ago. But a spoken central igbo is a myth. It doesn't exist.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by eaxes: 11:36am On Dec 21, 2013
Nowenuse: I think som of u r quite mistakin it. In some parts of Edo state, yoruba is used as a general language, especially in Akoko-edo LGA, parts of Edo north senatorial district. These ppl share boundary with Ondo n Kogi state.
In Akoko-edo and Owan east nd west LGAs, many of dem use yoruba as a lingua franca, they are not one tribe but different tribes. Any igarra person u find from Akoko-edo LGA is fluent in his language (igarra) and also yoruba.
What makes a language a second language is d fact dat u can learn it from ur own hometown which r not natives of d language. Just like Platea or Nasarawa ppl, these ppl r not hausas at all, they have their own various languages but use hausa as a general language amongst demselvs, so they grow up learning hausa in their own hometown and home-villages which r not natively hausas. Same tin with som ppl of Edo north. They evn answer yoruba names very very well.
Anybody who hv stayed in these places nd lived with d ppl can attest 2it. Though the yoruba they speak does not affect their own individual native languages and cultures.
You are absolutely яitє. I am of the Igarra tribe from Akoko edo LGA. We αvє our own language which is a dialet of the Egbira language in Kogi state. Infact ψє arε̲̣̣̣̥ the odd ball of Edo state ßє¢ō§ all other tribes in Edo state αvє languages similar †☺ each other Ãήϑ sort of understand themselves except us. I use †☺ say ψє arε̲̣̣̣̥ better off in Kogi state.
On the other hand Yoruba is lyk a second language †☺ us. Think is virtue of the fact that ψє share boundary Ψi† ondo state Ãήϑ oviously Yoruba is a large tribe so they dominate. M̶̲̥̅̊y̶̲̥̅̊ parents Ãήϑ grand parents mostly answer Yoruba names which i hate Ψi† a passion but these days thoings αvє changed Ãήϑ яε̲̣̣̣̥ mostly answer our tribal names although people still answer their second or third name in Yoruba.
In summary, am not Yoruba, neva ψα§ Ãήϑ neva will. In fact this is an opportunity †☺ tell ma pips that ψє need †☺ unite Ψi† our egbira brothers/sis in kogi,nassarawa,benue,taraba.... Ãήϑ stop dividing ourselves ¢☺§ ψє arε̲̣̣̣̥ one. If ψє do that ψє will easily ß in the top 4 tribes in ∂ country.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by eaxes: 11:43am On Dec 21, 2013
macof:

Good point to throw in

I think Akoko people are hybrids of Akure and Bini because there's a blend of both cultures but Akoko speaks Yoruba(Oyo) as a second language not even Bini or Akure.

Wats happening in the North is also something to think about. Most(if not all) Bariba tribe people of the Borgu ethnic group speaks Hausa as a second language and Yoruba(Oyo) as Third. They learn these languages in their own town not in Kano or Lagos.

Same with Nupe

From our own history, the igarra tribe in Akoko edo migrated from Ida which is the ancestral home the igalla tribe. Even our tribal name gives us away igarra is similar †☺ igalla.
Even the igbirra people αvє the same history Ãήϑ they arε̲̣̣̣̥ our nxt of kin.
ψє aint from any akure, edo, yourba bs as U̶̲̥̅̊ αvє stated. Mayb other tribes in akoko edo are but certainly not the Igarra people.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 11:47am On Dec 21, 2013
eaxes:
From our own history, the igarra tribe in Akoko edo migrated from Ida which is the ancestral home the igalla tribe. Even our tribal name gives us away igarra is similar †☺ igalla.
Even the igbirra people αvє the same history Ãήϑ they arε̲̣̣̣̥ our nxt of kin.
ψє aint from any akure, edo, yourba bs as U̶̲̥̅̊ αvє stated. Mayb other tribes in akoko edo are but certainly not the Igarra people.

Ok I understand totally

My flaws were by using the word "akoko" instead of the specific tribe in that area
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by eaxes: 12:31pm On Dec 21, 2013
macof:
I know all about the distinctions between Akoko-Edo And Akoko-Ondo but they are sibling tribes u should know that They have same origin
Akoko people are very close to Ondo in everything and just like Ondo and Akure they speak Oyo language as a lingual franca but their indigenous languages are closer to bini than Oyo
Absolute rubbish. Saying akoko in edo state Ãήϑ akoko in ondo are sibling tribes is akin to saying people in the state of georgia, USA and people in the country of Georgia are kinsmen.
Akoko edo people are not yoruba in anyway. I am of the Igarra tribe Ãήϑ am not related †☺ people in akoko in ondo. Heck am not even related linguistically, ethnically †☺ other tribes in akoko edo. Although the other tribes in akoko edo are related †☺ each other Ãήϑ understand themselves but not us. ψє arε̲̣̣̣̥ related †☺ the igbirra( our nearest kinsmen) Ãήϑ igalla our ancestral kinsmen

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by eaxes: 12:49pm On Dec 21, 2013
PhysicsQED:

I didn't say the Akoko Edo peoples were all one ethnically homogenous "Edoid" group, but the point is the Akoko label in that name isn't to tie them ethnically to the Akoko of Ondo - it's just total confusion about that name (Akoko Edo) to even think that. Also, from some of your previous comments in this thread, I'm not sure you're speaking from extensive knowledge about some of the things you've been saying. After you've made a statement like "there is really nothin like an Edo language" (in an earlier post) even while saying that you're residing in Benin city, where the language is called just that - Edo - how am I supposed to believe that you're interpreting all the things you hear and see around you correctly? Your only really relevant point in this post seemed to be that the Igarra are not speakers of "Edoid" languages natively - yeah, I know that, but I don't recall saying that they were. I don't even recall saying that every single group there (in Akoko Edo) was Edoid speaking. However, the overwhelming majority of those groups in Akoko Edo are speakers of "Edoid" languages - as in, their native languages have significant similarities with the Edo language. The exceptions as far as I can tell being the people of Ayanran, Kakumo, and Igarra. The Igarra don't claim to come from Ondo though they too use Yoruba as a lingua franca, and as for the non-Edoid language speaking towns of Ayanran and Kakumo, those are just two out of all the rest (state boundaries don't exactly mirror linguistic groups - there are also "Edoid" groups outside of Edo and Delta states). Virtually all the rest are speakers of "Edoid" languages natively and if there are groups claiming to be from Ondo (rather than from other places in Edo state, as is usual for people in that area), or claiming to be "mixed" you can list the specific group you're referring to, rather than lumping in the entire area as being "mixed" because of the lingua franca used there. Few (if any) groups in southern Nigeria have never had any segment of their population mix with their neighbors, but that doesn't change what the real ethnic classification of their overall group is.
Bingo. U̶̲̥̅̊ absolutely яitє. Seconded infact. Am an Igarra man from akoko edo lga Ãήϑ αvє n☺ relationship Ψi† those of akoko in ondo. J§† ¢☺§ our lga is akoko ∂☺є§n'† mean ψє related †☺ akoko in ondo.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by macof(m): 3:42pm On Dec 21, 2013
eaxes:
Absolute rubbish. Saying akoko in edo state Ãήϑ akoko in ondo are sibling tribes is akin to saying people in the state of georgia, USA and people in the country of Georgia are kinsmen.
Akoko edo people are not yoruba in anyway. I am of the Igarra tribe Ãήϑ am not related †☺ people in akoko in ondo. Heck am not even related linguistically, ethnically †☺ other tribes in akoko edo. Although the other tribes in akoko edo are related †☺ each other Ãήϑ understand themselves but not us. ψє arε̲̣̣̣̥ related †☺ the igbirra( our nearest kinsmen) Ãήϑ igalla our ancestral kinsmen

And where did I say akoko ondo or akoko edo are Yoruba

I even posted here that only Oyo are Yoruba and Ekiti, Owo, Akure, Ijesa etc. aren't Yoruba

You already explained that Akoko-Edo is diverse and Igarra are more Igala than Edo, they just happen to find themselves in that area
So my apologies for the confusion of Akoko- Edo being unified

I find that everything isn't as it seems that's why am trying to get things straight because so many outside people don't understand.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by bokohalal(m): 1:30pm On Dec 22, 2013
I understand what Macof is trying to say. The problem,however,is that the 'osmosification' process is too far gone to be reversed. Today,the Akokos,Ekitis Ondos and other peoples of eastern Western Nigeria are considered Yorubas. They admit in private,especially when dealing with an Edo, that they are more closely related. A gentleman I met sometime ago claimed Ondo and added 'I am originally Edo. My grandfather was Edo'.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by aljharem(m): 5:22pm On Dec 22, 2013
bokohalal: I understand what Macof is trying to say. The problem,however,is that the 'osmosification' process is too far gone to be reversed. Today,the Akokos,Ekitis Ondos and other peoples of eastern Western Nigeria are considered Yorubas. They admit in private,especially when dealing with an Edo, that they are more closely related. A gentleman I met sometime ago claimed Ondo and added 'I am originally Edo. My grandfather was Edo'.

I am glad someone atleast understand his point. Also we need to be clear. What is edo ? Was there edo empire that covered some of the groups in current edo state ?
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nowenuse: 5:37pm On Dec 22, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Yea, the Rivers people speak central Igbo among themselves. Its one interesting thing about them. When the Ikwerre man meets an Etche man, they speak central Igbo and not pidgin English like in Edo state.

When you arrive in port-harcourt, you'll think you've arrived in another Igbo town. It is one anyway. You hear Igbo spoken everywhere - on the streets, in the market, etc. Church services are held in Igbo with Igbo songs renting the air. Igbo is deeply rooted and used there such that many kalabari and okirikans speak Igbo fluently. An example is Patience Jonathan from Okirika who speaks Igbo like a native.

Also, Rivers Igbo dialects are very easy to understand. Their Igbo is the same with what you'll hear in other southern Igbo cities of Aba, Owerri. They are 90% the same with central Igbo already. So they might not necessarily feel the need to speak 'central Igbo' when what they are speaking is already 90% central Igbo. When the Ikwerre man, or Etche man, or Ndoni man speaks, you'll understand him clearly. Its just like Onitsha Igbo which is very easy to understand and speak. Because everybody understands Onitsha, the Onitsha man rarely feels the need to speak central Igbo since you'll understand him when he speaks. You should know central Igbo was gotten from all the Igbo dialects and that the vocabulary(words) of central Igbo is mostly from southern Igbo(Imo, Abia, Rivers) while the sentence lexis and structure are from Northern Igbo(Anambra, Delta Igbo, Enugu). Onitsha people and Anambra in general rarely speak central Igbo yet you'll understand them perfectly and they are proud Igbos. The only time Anambra people feel compelled to speak central Igbo is when with people from other states, and despite that they still speak Anambra Igbo(Onitsha precisely) because everybody will still understand it and also, many Igbos love the Anambra Igbo dialect. You'll see here that speaking central Igbo isn't a must or factor that makes a group 'properly Igbo'.

One other thing I'll like you to know is that central Igbo was constructed mostly for speakers of Igbo dialects which are very difficult to understand by other Igbos. Dialects such as Owerri and Mbaise(imo), Arochukwu(Abia), Nsukka and Nkanu(Enugu), Ikwo, Izzi, Ohaozara(Ebonyi), Ohaji/Egbema(Imo and Rivers) Igbo, etc are difficult to understand by an Igbo from other areas. So these people often speak central Igbo to other Igbos and speak their respective dialects within themselves.

I once read a website where it was written that the Ikas use central Igbo or their dialect in public meetings and official matters. I was shocked to read that, coming from a group where many deny being Igbo.

You made mention of Owerri and Mbaise. Owerri and Mbaise Igbo are virtually the same, save for a few word differences and each group converse in Owerri/Mbaise together.

Ok thanks 4d clarification on especially rivers igbos. So it could really b concluded that d denial of igboness amongst some of them is nothin but a result of political issues. But these rivers igbos, do they not really share very close kinship and common ancestry with their closest igbo neighbours in the southern parts of the south-east? because I think if they really do, they will neva see reasons 4 rejecting an igbo identity, as they will see themselvs as ppl who cannot do without their closest kins in part of the south-east. For instance maybe Ikwerre ppl have very similar or very close culture and ancestry with Mbaise ppl, and they maintain and esteem that relationship, I don't think you would have eva heard them talking of prefering to be with Niger-deltan tribes. It really seems like many of these rivers igbo tribes share closer cultural affinity with the other niger-deltan tribes, because I don't really think that political difference/issues could be ever greater than cultural oneness and unity.

Yea, thank God u really did not assert that delta igbos speak central igbo and u know that their languages are very diiferent from central igbo. I was born in delta state and we know that majority of these delta igbos will tell u dat they can only hear general igbo but they cannot speak. Many do not evn hear very well. These delta igbos hv mostly gone by with demselvs by speaking and hearing each odas dialect and not central igbo, or sometimes they evn use pidgin. Those ppl who said ikas speak central igbo or use it in their meetings fluently is just uninformed to me. Only those of them who hv stayed in main igboland speak central igbo. So I can really say it has contributed to a reason of their igbo denial.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Nowenuse: 6:06pm On Dec 22, 2013
PhysicsQED:

I could say thanks 4d clarification. I think where we missed it here is or would I say where I missed youth. Binis are truly the ones known as ethnically 'edo' WHILE the Esan, Etsakor, Owan are known as 'Edo speaking ppls' (according to wikipedia). It's just that the name 'Edo state' has really made the other edo speaking ppls see demselvs as Edo ppl in like vain with binis and wheneva Edo is bein mentioned, u shuldn't really feel only the ethnically edo (bini) ppl will respond, that's just d truth.
I school in edo state nd hv dem as inlaws/family members (etsakor in particular) nd one of my estakor inlaw, a lady on a particular day met an Esan man from Ehor an they proudly identified as one edo ppl (in a form of ethnicity) and I argued with dem that they are not one, that she is Etsakor and he is Esan, but they both rebuked me and said that they are Edos first before their towns and their dialects. So with that you'd not but conclude that until bini is mentioned, u can hardly actually refer to Edo (bini) ppl.
Do u know d ppl of igueben LGA? They r most likely grouped as Esan, bt I mst tell u dat so many of dem see demselvs as more bini than Esan, they are just like hybrid bini/esan. They understand both standard Bini and Esan and because their dialect is jst like a merging of both languages, they answer bini names as well as Esan names, many binis evn claim that their own igueben dialect is closer to bini proper than som oda bini dialects sharin boundary with urhoboland. So really, where do u actually wnt to place such ppl like d igueben, ethnically Edo or Edo speaking ppls? These ppl r quite only more regarded Esan because they r in Edo central nd not Edo south. That's like same thin with Owan ppl, they are like a mix of Esan and Etsakor. Some of them will tell u dat they r ethnically esan, others ethnically Etsakor while some will just say 'owan'. With all these similarities I tell u is what makes most of dem outside Edo state or Niger-delta just refer to themselvs as Edo, if u ask them their tribe in Kaduna persay, they'll just tell u Edo, both Esan, bini, Owan, Akoko-edo (except mayb igarra). Until u ask dem which part of edo b4 they may specify, nd instead of som of dem to evn tell u bini, esan or etsakor, they may just go further to tellin u d name of their towns instead.
That just tells u nothin but d fact that there is a greater common Edo consciousness amongst dem all in d form of an ethnicity. So when we say Edo languages or edo dialects, we cannot but refer to them all.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by tonychristopher: 10:06am On Dec 23, 2013
Nowenuse:

THE PROBLEM IS NT THE DIALECT BUT COMPREHENSION....NO IGBO TOWN BE IT IN SOUTH EAST OR SOUTH SOUTH SPEAKS CENTRAL IGBO ...ALL TOWNS HAVE THEIR DIALECT OR REGIONALISM BUT CENTRAL IGBO IS AN ECLECTIC APPROACH OF OTHER LANGAUGE.... JUST THE OWERRI SPEAK THEIR OWN DIALECT THAT HAS SIMILARITY WITH AGBOR, OGUTA SPEAKS THEIR OWN THAT HAVE SIMILARITY IWTH UKWUANI,NTEJE SPEAKS THEIR FORM OF IGBO THAT HAS SIMILARITY WITH AHAB , THAT IS WHAT IS APPLICABLE... THE SAME WAY ONDO YORUBA IS A BIT DIFFERENCE FROM IFE AND WHAT THEY SPEAK IN ILLORIN AND OFFA AXIS, BUT ONE THING IS THAT THEY ARE ALL YORUIBA WITH LAGOS YORUBA AS THE CENTRAL SAME AS KANO HAUSA AS CENTRAL TO WHAT THEY SOPEAK IN BERNIN KEBBI, ZAMFARA AND MAIDUGIURI..... REGIONALISM AND DIALECTS IS THERE BUT WHAT PEOPLE HAVE REFUSED TO GET A GRASP OF IS THAT REGIONALISM AND DIALECT IS A PART OF LANGUAGE.

NO IGBO IS IN ENEMITY WITH THEIR NIEGHBOURS, IGBOS DO MARRY EFIKS,IBIBIO ETC BUT DUE TO PROXIMITY AND THAT HASN'T MADE THEM IGBO, THE WAY YORUBAS MARRY EDOS BUT THAT DOESNT MAKE BENIN YORUBAS.... IGBOS KNOW THEIR OWNS AND IN IGBO LAND WE HAVE MIGRANTS AND ASSYLUM SEEKERS JUST LIKE SOME FOLKS MAYBE FUGITIVES AND PRISONERS OF WAR FROM BENIN, THESE ARE FOUND IN THE IGBO FRONTIER REGIONS OF IKALAND AND MAYBE IGBANKE BUT THERE ARE STILL SONS OF SOIL...THAT DOESN'T MEANT THAT THERE ARE NO BENIN ELEMENTS THERE. THERE IS BUT IT WILL BE BAD TO CLASSIFY ALL AS BENIN FUGITIVE...THATS AN INSULT SAME AS YOU HAVE SOME SLAVES ELEMENTS IN LAGOS THOSE THAT ANSWER BRAZILIAN NAMES IN ISSALE EKO REGION, IT WILL BE BAD IF WE CLASSIFY ALL LAGOS ISLANDERS SONS OF SLAVES COS THERE ARE STILL ORIGIBNAL OMO NILIE ...GO TO OFFA AND ILLORINN THERE ARE HAUSA-FULANI ELEMENTS THERE THAT MUST HAVE MIGRATED DURING THE JIHADIST MOVEMENT AND AFONJA DEFEAT BUT THAT DOESNT MAKE OFFA WHICH IS A YORUBA NAME A NON YORUBA NOR INDIGENES HAUSA... THATS THE NUANCES OF OUR CULTURE IN AFRICA...

TAKE AUSSIES FOR INSTASNCE ...WE HAVE EX CONVICTS DEPORTED TO AUSSIE AND WE HAVE ABOS SO WILL YOU CLASSIFY ALL AUSTRTALIANS AS SONS OF EX CONS?
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by tonychristopher: 10:31am On Dec 23, 2013
eaxes:

TO ME FROM MY OBSERVATION WHERE I CAN SAY THAT THERE IS SIMILARITIES BETWEEN EDO AND YORUBAS ARE AT THE FROPNTIER LINES OF UTSEN AND AKOKO EDO...THATS ALL. FROM MY KNOWLADGE OF YORUBA AND BENIN LANGUAGES...THERE IS NO SIMILARITY AND THE FABLE OF ODUDUWA COMMING FROM SKY SHOULD BE TOLD TO 3YRS OLD CHILDREN NO MORE NO LESS...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by Donarozzi: 7:48pm On Nov 24, 2014
RadoilloII:

See my problem with this classification:

Ezza-Ikwo-Izi etc are listed as seperate languages, whereas, Abiriba, Nsukka, Ehugbo, Okposi etc, which many people in the urban centres in the southeast hardly understand, are all subsumed under "Igbo proper". If we apply to "Igbo proper" the same principles which we used to seperate Ogbah and Ukwuani from "Igbo proper", we would find that "igbo proper" CAN be further split into as many as two score seperate languages. Which of these two score languages would you then call 'Igbo'? None. Igbo is simply a generic name, an 'umbrella' term, embracing cognate lects spoken east of the Edo speech area.

I personally think 'Igboid' is a misnomer. -oid means 'similar to'. So that 'Igboid' would mean 'similar to Igbo, but not Igbo'. The problem with this is that some of these so called 'Igboid' languages are more intelligible to me than some 'Igbo' dialects.I've never set foot in Ndokwa territory. Yet first time I heard my Obiaruku electrician speak to his brother on the phone, I understood almost everything he said; but I can hardly tell Afikpo dialect from Greek. We once had an Afikpo housegirl, and conversation with her was only possible if we used English.

Yet Afikpo is Igbo proper; and Ukwuani is Igboid.

Who is making the classification? Are they basing their studies purely on linguistics, or are they influenced by factors like group identity and geopolitical factors?

This divisive attitude and identity crisis are caused by leadership failure among the Igbo political elite. Igbo leaders must ensure that all Igbo-speaking people are grouped together in one geopolitical region. This way, the problem of identity crisis among some Igbo groups will be permanently solved.
Re: Why Do Edo People Speak Yoruba? by toyinakomolafe(m): 8:41am On Jan 17, 2016
THis is misinformation please. Where did you get these ekiti words full of 95% errors.
Osi is also osi in ekiti
Iya- eye YEYE is a general word
Iyawo- oya. Aya is a general yoruba
E ku'se- In ku 'se
Pele- Okun
Mo maa- Maa
Kosi- E si
Ibi- is also ibi

if you are not sure of something, stop spreading it. Thanks

Here's some difference in Ekiti and Oyo language....I can't speak Ekiti but I try to understand when spoken to
Oyo - Ekiti
Osi- Usi (left/West)

Iya- Yeye (mother)

Iyawo- Aya (wife)

E Ku'se- Era aba (welldone)
E ku'se - Okun( greetings)

Ogbeni- Awe (reference to ur mate)

Igbo- ugbo (bush, light Forest)

O - I (reference to a third part individual)

Mo ma- Mii ( I will) eg. Mo ma lo- Mii lo (I will go)

Ko si- ke wa (not available)

E[erh] - O[orh] (you) eg. Mo pe e - mi pe o(I called you)

Ibi- Kabi (place)

And many more.... U know these languages are very tonal, one mis-spoken sound in a word distorts it's meaning. An Oyo man would have it easier to push an elephant than Have a nice conversation with an Ekiti man.

I don't base my knowledge on wat some certain people said, when I can prove it myself.

Ekiti is as non-Yoruba as Edo is non-Yoruba

Edo is as Yoruba as Ekiti is as Yoruba

[/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Doll Created By Taofik Okoya Now Outselling White Dolls Barbie / Hausa Hero And Warrior Queen Amina Of Zaria Full History,life And Legendary Work / Obi Of Onitsha: I Was Saved From Attacked Train Through Phone Call

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 229
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.