Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,214 members, 7,780,400 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:36 PM

Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad (17976 Views)

Police Arrest Imo Man For Burning 12-year-old Maid’s Buttocks / 3 Brothers Who Kidnapped And Murdered A Mother Of 5 in Abuja Arrested By Police / Elozino Joshuana Ogege: Photos Of Yahoo Boys Who Kidnapped, Killed DELSU Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by Kuginzi: 5:31am On Aug 28, 2022
By Godfrey George

A master’s student in the United States and an indigene of Orlu Local Government Area, Imo State, Chimee Adioha tells GODFREY GEORGE how his father was whisked away by gunmen and later released after a huge ransom was paid

It was reported that your father was kidnapped by some gunmen in Orlu, Imo State. How true is it?

I don’t like the term ‘gunmen’, but I need to start telling myself the truth. The reality is hitting now. So, yes, it could be gunmen, because they had guns, and they were all men. They kidnapped my father in our hometown, Orlu, Imo State, where I had lived most of my life as a child. He is a retired teacher.

How did this happen?

It was on July 20, 2022. The gunmen came to our house, looked for my father and found him. Actually, they said it was the second or third time they were looking for him and never found him until that day. They had said if they didn’t see him the third time, they would take my mother instead. But they saw my father, blindfolded him, then they wanted to drive him away in his Toyota, but suddenly, the car did not start, so they held him and put him into their own jeep and drove away.

My father said the drive lasted for about 30 minutes. That was his rough calculation. I don’t know how someone would be blindfolded, in a place that has had records of insecurity, driving for all that long and there were no checkpoints, no police, nothing; just free driving and getting to their destination so safely.

How did you learn of the kidnap?

It was afternoon in Nigeria, but morning in the US. I had just woken up and then went back to sleep before working on the computer. I felt a little tired. Then a cousin called me, asking about a message he had seen in our extended family’s WhatsApp group, that my father was kidnapped. I had not seen any WhatsApp messages and I was both confused and frustrated at that moment. I opened WhatsApp and then saw the messages and then it dawned on me that it was real. This was happening so close, although I was too far away from home. I mean, I had always heard about kidnapping, but I hadn’t really had it so close, and then this was happening in my hometown, a place that was supposed to be so peaceful. It’s so heartbreaking how Orlu has been in the news for insecurity since 2021. I was trembling and I had to leave my door open for days to be sure I was not the only one in my apartment. My housemate was very helpful. I had panic attacks and my anxiety disorder rose.

Why do you think your father was targeted?

That was the surprising thing to me too. My father is not wealthy. We grew up in a very simple house. My parents have lived in our hometown for many years. My father says he was tired of those lower middle class and upper middle class confused categorisation because Nigeria does not even afford you that economic and social label. “Just say you are comfortable,” he says. My father studied Educational Psychology in Italy in the 70s and worked as a teacher and a principal for many years in Anambra and Imo states before he voluntarily retired. We have a house, and a car, just like a human being should. These are not supposed to define wealth. They are essential human necessities, if you ask me. My father is a Catholic Knight of St. Mulumba, kept a lot of psychological books on his shelf, someone who talked less and spread love, had tea each morning of his life, drink decaffeinated coffee and loves rice.

When and how did the kidnappers reach out to your family to demand ransom?

They reached out on the second day. We were not too surprised because people told us they do not usually reach out on the first day. They used my father’s WhatsApp to send bundles of voice notes, asking that they also speak to my brother. They said they only wanted to be speaking to one person, and that was my brother. I listened to some of the voice notes; I couldn’t listen to everything because the man’s voice scared me. He spoke too fast, with a different Igbo dialect, with weak English, with a commanding tone, both commanding and kind. So, it was a whole voice note festival, my brother sent, they sent, my brother sent again, asking to hear my father’s voice and they sent back the next day with my father’s voice. It seemed the place had steady music. There was always local music in the background, the music you can’t really place who the singer was, but it appeared like it came from a very large speaker. When they said we should not involve the police or any sort of security network, there was music in the background; when they said the amount of money my brother was proposing was “too tiny, as tiny as an ant,” there was also music in the background. Music every time that I wondered how they slept, how my father slept with all that music, someone that always wants everywhere noise-proof to be able to sleep.
https://punchng.com/gunmen-who-kidnapped-my-father-spoke-igbo-imo-man/

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by 25ahmad(m): 5:35am On Aug 28, 2022
We all know... The unknown

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by melonsgroup: 5:44am On Aug 28, 2022
25ahmad:
We all know... The unknown
you maybe right

13 Likes

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by buttlover(m): 5:53am On Aug 28, 2022
the hausas and fulani living in my home town orlu also speaks fluent igbo. since the begining of the beheadings in imo, they are nowhere to be found

43 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by yinkus6750(m): 5:53am On Aug 28, 2022
IPOB, ESN, UGM are all citizens of same tribe.
Doing each other at who's detriment ?

97 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by rusher14: 6:00am On Aug 28, 2022

67 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by rusher14: 6:00am On Aug 28, 2022
buttlover:
the hausas and fulani living in my home town orlu also speaks fluent igbo.

Igbos can never do wrong.

159 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by superCleanworks(m): 6:07am On Aug 28, 2022
insider job.
loud music for masking of other sounds and conversations.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by nony43(m): 6:07am On Aug 28, 2022
The head of the Fulani herdsmen who kidnapped the Methodist prelate spoke Igbo too he said he was born in Umuahia . So he speaks Fulfude and Igbo.

31 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by Boogyman557: 6:07am On Aug 28, 2022
Holly Gram cool real matters on top real MATTERZ

LITE UP my WEED in peace

WTF MAN!

1 Like

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by superCleanworks(m): 6:08am On Aug 28, 2022
rusher14:

this is just 6 in the morning oh.
Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by Barrylord4040: 6:09am On Aug 28, 2022
The three powerful contestants to the nation's highest office are Asiwaju Bola Ahmad Tinubu of the APC, Atiku Abubakar of the PDP and Peter Obi of the Labour Party. Most at times pundits and analysts make comparison amongst these candidates to see who is the most qualified to take the mantle of leadership of this country after the expiration of President Buhari's tenure as the President of this great country. To me, having regards to their track records and political wherewithal to take this nation to the highest pedestal of excellent leadership, Asiwaju Bola Ahmad Tinubu is the most qualified candidate, but also should not be compared to these candidates whose track records are nothing to write home about

40 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by Dozie32(m): 6:09am On Aug 28, 2022
Dem Don come again, to blackmail nde igbo.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by inoki247: 6:09am On Aug 28, 2022
Lol na Fulani Herdsmen....

Na saint full that region....

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by Krublog(m): 6:09am On Aug 28, 2022
Sad, crime knows no tribe!!!

2 Likes

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by obembet(f): 6:09am On Aug 28, 2022
Some will say na DSS... I hope they won't turn that State to Mobbar

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by fk001(m): 6:09am On Aug 28, 2022
buttlover:

So you mean all Flat!nos are saint right?

Igbos no dey do wrong they are always right

80 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by Musty112: 6:10am On Aug 28, 2022
Crime and criminals are not tribe specific and exclusive. Do your part and pray for a better Nigeria

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by Snapchat: 6:11am On Aug 28, 2022
buttlover:

No matter how fluent they are in Ibo language, you can still differentiate through their accent. It was done by your fellow Ibos, stop deflecting.

88 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by Peacemaker5129(f): 6:12am On Aug 28, 2022
Peter Pandora Obituary's supporters please stop killing innocent Ibos

35 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by OyigboUpdate: 6:12am On Aug 28, 2022
Nothing like unknown gunmen it is IPOB and ESN

36 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by Wintertime: 6:13am On Aug 28, 2022
Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by NaijaRoyalty(m): 6:13am On Aug 28, 2022
Hausas and Fulanis living in south east speaks Igbo very well

Other tribes living in Yoruba land speaks Yoruba language very well so the fact that your father kidnappers speak Igbo language doesn't mean they re actually Igbo

3 Likes

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by KGREAT(m): 6:14am On Aug 28, 2022
Nawah o. You no know before. Remove igbo from all criminalities in Nigeria, this country will be heaven on earth. That reminds me, what of biafra agitators self have they decamped to 'Obedient' ?? That's better!

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by Smith414: 6:15am On Aug 28, 2022
Barrylord4040:
The three powerful contestants to the nation's highest office are Asiwaju Bola Ahmad Tinubu of the APC, Atiku Abubakar of the PDP and Peter Obi of the Labour Party. Most at times pundits and analysts make comparison amongst these candidates to see who is the most qualified to take the mantle of leadership of this country after the expiration of President Buhari's tenure as the President of this great country. To me, having regards to their track records and political wherewithal to take this nation to the highest pedestal of excellent leadership, Asiwaju Bola Ahmad Tinubu is the most qualified candidate, but also should not be compared to these candidates whose track records are nothing to write home about
Who kidnap Chimee Adioha papa na we wan know?? Nor be poo and piss we come pack here
Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by muykem: 6:15am On Aug 28, 2022
They are ESN members.

14 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by Rayjnr: 6:16am On Aug 28, 2022
buttlover:

So all igbos are saints abi, you people better look inward to solve your problem, if you always think your problem is from outside then you have failed

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by xpressionx(m): 6:16am On Aug 28, 2022
Uzodinma can't even protect his village from kidnappers and he wants to deliver Tinubu

3 Likes

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by Rapuru14: 6:16am On Aug 28, 2022
Likewise the gun me that kidnapped Methodist Prelate.

Ain't trying to absolve anyone, but there are Fulanis and Hausas who speak Igbo fluently.

They're many.

2 Likes

Re: Gunmen Who Kidnapped My Father Spoke Igbo – Imo Man Living Abroad by naijapikin2(m): 6:19am On Aug 28, 2022
In orlu.... Were you expecting them to speak chinese

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hushpuppi, Kyari: Probe Panel Submits Amended Report / EFCC Docks Entertainer, Simon Oshi, For Dud Cheque (Photo) / 10-year-old Kenyan Girl Rescued After Being Married Off To Three Different Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.