Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:37 AM

Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria (21274 Views)

RE: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria? / Is Studying Geology A Good Choice? / Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by selmansee: 8:00am On Aug 29, 2022
I have become skeptical about Engineering in Nigeria

Ever since I was in secondary school, All my teachers who taught me science and mathematics are grduates of engineering, my futher math, physics, Agric ,math and chemistry teachers all had degrees ( B.Sc./B.Eng.) in Engineering. Some studied Agric engineering, civil I can still remember one who studied electrical. From FUNAAB

This got me thinking why do they end up like this, Are there no job market for graduate engineers anymore.
Mind you, I live in a highly industrialized area, where I stay, PZ Cussons, African Steel, Kimberly Clack, Dangote Flour, GB foods e.t.c all have their major facotories here..trust me there are many more but these are the highly ranked onced whom I believe many of you might be familiar with.

But when I interact with many of their engineers who work in these factories and live close to my house, I have never see any one of them who are graduates..not a single one..but they work as in engineers in these huge factories especially PZ cussons, African steel and GB foods.. they are not educated
The educated engineers with degrees, I mostly see them in private schools like mine and they earned nothing more than 28,000. They may be be extra from home teaching and the likes

While I was in SS 1, My geography teacher although didn’t study engineering but material science from FUTO (one of my dream school) and he was my teacher in his early 30s earning less than 30k..
The man who tutored me for my WAEC studied Mech.eng from UNIBEN. another tutor whom I wasn’t so close to but I got to know from colleagues that he also studied Mech.eng from Yabatech.
I know a friend whose father is a university dropout but works in Promasidor at Oshodi, they make Cowbell milk and Onga (I think).. and the father is an engineer there..I am confused, How?

I have passion for engineering but I don’t want to foolishly think that my case might be different.
Nairalanders who know a thing or two about the realities engineering in Nigeria
Please, what extra things do engineering students need to learn to ensure after graduation they are able to practice in their field or work in major manufacturing firms like I aspire.

I want to study Mechanical engineering or elect elect. I am still confused..Please I’ll really appreciate if y’all can help

36 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by othermen: 8:01am On Aug 29, 2022
As a young fellow getting started in his career, you are doing great observing what may be prevalent.

I think young people should try to get some education about their chances- as you have or as you desire before going to the university to study any course.

You have to consider which is foremost to you- is it to have a successful career in whatever endeavour or to become a successful engineer; if it is the former, such that you are desiring a career for the success output, you may need to assess other courses aside Engineering that may provide readily available opportunities for you.

Increasingly, renowned courses like Law and Engineering needs to be re-assessed by those aspiring for a career in either. Most people are rather desiring for paid employment, when the fields actually has several opportunities to be self-employed, becoming a consulting professional or getting into some start-up.

Engineering is a wonderful course- however the formal labour market in Nigeria may not be so much great or wonderful for the discipline.

While there seem to be far limited formal opportunities for engineers than there are engineers, for those that persevere, and got opportunity to practice in their field- they often have the best outcomes in terms of prosperity when compared with other disciplines. (Check Aerospace Engineering).

There are some engineering courses that gives you significant edge in the informal labour market. Such that you can start your own enterprise right away and become an employer of labour as well. Now, the difficulty with this is the cost of start up and the competence we have instilled which is not geared towards self sufficiency or entrepreneurial spirit. Engineering, accounting or finance, medicine among others are all professional courses that don't require additional post-graduate degrees to maximise the opportunities they may afford. You just have to have right mindset of problem identification and solving to being a structural analyst.

Most engineers that went through Nigeria universities have had little exposure to practical training in Engineering. The universities have focused more on theoretical engineering- when engineering is mostly a practical course. The faculties could have been innovative in building massive workshop that can help instill the requisite skills that would propel a desirable career in most of their alumni; however they are frustrated by the nonchalance of the FG which has crushed what should be the faculty imagination.

What then is the option left to the engineer who can’t get a chance in the formal engineering labour market or who don’t have the resource for a start up?

So a civil engineer for instance could personally take on the supervision of construction or re-construction of housing units or other building structures- massive ones and the small residential ones. In many residential areas in Lagos, you have civil engineers approach owners of old building structures with great plans to pull down and reconstruct the buildings at their own cost, while such arrangement gives them some form of leasehold on the newly constructed building say a two flats now devolved into a six flats. They could have a long term leasehold on 2 of those flats. Now you don’t have to be a civil engineer to do such, you just need to have the requisite skills. However the Engineering discipline gives a confidence in such prospective customers that non-engineers approaching can offer them. Some civil engineers have made more money more than those working in Shell BP by exploring such.

Mechanical engineers on the other hand, also just need a little support to get started in the informal labour market; in sane schools- they are taught the competence to be able to design about anything. As at today, the universities may not offer as much technical skills as you may see in a polytechnic or some technical schools. The mechanical engineer must be humble enough to realize this. After getting around such, the issue then may be the cost of designing whatsoever they desire designing which may be highly demanding and in a nation that don’t support innovation, you have to look elsewhere. I know mechanical engineers that specialize in plumbing for very big building construction firms - designing and supervising the plumbing. Now, some ignorant mechanical engineers sees plumbing as a mere apprenticeship exercise, but with one’s credentials- you become even more feasible for opportunities. This is aside those, that are probably into constructions or repairs of factory machines and intensive trucks such as drilling machines.

I think ultimately in addition to what you may acquire from this thread - you have to understand that becoming successful as an engineer is a function of your own mindset. And for some people with the right mindset, it is in a place like Nigeria where several things don’t seem to work- that there are opportunities. There is no electricity / then there is a market for affordable power plans such that an electrical engineer who is innovative and adaptable can provide affordable solar energy technology to people. Get on LinkedIn, take a look at the profiles of engineers working in great firms, look at the unique skills they have, look at the career choices they have made. It could help you create your own template.

Don’t make costly assumptions based on what you may find in your immediate environment. Many of those people are products of a dysfunctional mindset or of a mindset compelled by the tragic realities of Nigeria. However if you have incorporated such reality in your methodological mindset, you should excel well in engineering or in any discipline you so choose. Those working in the manufacturing that you have interacted with are mostly products of technical education, and they provide supports and take instructions from the engineers, while those who attended universities that you interact with have little to no technical expertise. Again, if you build a methodological mindset towards your career, engineering can give you so much.

104 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by advanceDNA: 8:03am On Aug 29, 2022
U better go do nursing or IT courses...... e get why.....u gats flow with the tide of times and season

45 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Pilet: 8:05am On Aug 29, 2022
A very big Scam! Don't try it. Op for Nursing or medicine, computer science or computer engineering, other than this two you are on a verge to poverty.
For mind blowing Smartphone Hacks & Cheats, Click here

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by selmansee: 8:16am On Aug 29, 2022
advanceDNA:
U better go do nursing or IT courses...... e get why.....u gats flow with the tide of times and season
but there are literally no IT courses in most Nigerian universities?
except you want to be specific and mention computer science

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by tensazangetsu20(m): 8:39am On Aug 29, 2022
Yeah it is. Aside computer engineering and to some degree electrical engineering you are better off studying computer science, mathematics or medical courses at undergraduate level.

It's good you are asking this questions before going to the University. You are a very smart guy. If we did we would have gone so far so props to you.

96 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Gerrard59(m): 8:58am On Aug 29, 2022
selmansee:

but there are literally no IT courses in most Nigerian universities?
except you want to be specific and mention computer science

If you can't do computer science, study mathematics. Most engineering grads have ventured into tech because of the poor career prospects and low pay. Mind you, this is a global phenomenon (engineering grads pivot to finance, tech and consulting because of the meagre salaries for their jobs. Their numerical skills are a great advantage in those industries). For instance, most MBA students these days had their first degree in an engineering discipline. Additionally, you need to read the wailing by engineering grads on Reddit from all over the world especially in countries with low manufacturing contribution to the national GDP. Where engineers have great prospects are China, Japan and South Korea, but then, they earn less compared tech bros or finance grads. In Singapore, engineering grads enter the finance or tech industry because of higher salaries. Mind you, Singapore has an advanced manufacturing sector (https://www.wsj.com/articles/singapore-manufacturing-factory-automation-11655488002) with great universities and a strong math foundation for secondary school pupils.

Studying an engineering course in Nigeria that doesn't have a strong mid-tier manufacturing sector considering the plethora of universities and polytechnics offering sub-disciplines makes no sense to me. My major issue is ASUU strikes & associated internal school problems. What this means is that, your colleagues in mathematics, physics, chemistry are done while you are at risk of spending a year or two. Most developed countries don't offer five years for engineering but Nigeria does, another thing that is senseless to me.

In summary, choose mathematics or physics, make a stellar grade and japa for further studies. A lad who came pleading for travel funds on TwitterNG studied Physics both BSc and MSc and got a fully funded assistantship to do his PhD in Aeronautical Engineering. If it's tech you see yourself, computer science or mathematics will do you great help. Again, with mathematics or physics, you can can enter the finance industry.

Remember, passion cannot pay house rent or buy you food. Also, you're residing in Africa's poverty capital.

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by SavageBoy: 9:15am On Aug 29, 2022
Gerrard59:

If you can't do computer science, study mathematics. Most engineering grads have ventured into tech because of the poor career prospects and low pay. Mind you, this is a global phenomenon (engineering grads pivot to finance, tech and consulting because of the meagre salaries for their jobs. Their numerical skills are a great advantage in those industries). For instance, most MBA students these days had their first degree in an engineering discipline. Additionally, you need to read the wailing by engineering grads on Reddit from all over the world especially in countries with low manufacturing contribution to the national GDP. Where engineers have great prospects are China, Japan and South Korea, but then, they earn less compared tech bros or finance grads. In Singapore, engineering grads enter the finance or tech industry because of higher salaries. Mind you, Singapore has an advanced manufacturing sector (https://www.wsj.com/articles/singapore-manufacturing-factory-automation-11655488002) with great universities and a strong math foundation for secondary school pupils.

Studying an engineering course in Nigeria that doesn't have a strong mid-tier manufacturing sector considering the plethora of universities and polytechnics offering sub-disciplines makes no sense to me. My major issue is ASUU strikes & associated internal school problems. What this means is that, your colleagues in mathematics, physics, chemistry are done while you are at risk of spending a year or two. Most developed countries don't offer five years for engineering but Nigeria does, another thing that is senseless to me.

In summary, choose mathematics or physics, make a stellar grade and japa for further studies. A lad who came pleading for travel funds on TwitterNG studied Physics both BSc and MSc and got a fully funded assistantship to do his PhD in Aeronautical Engineering. If it's tech you see yourself, computer science or mathematics will do you great help. Again, with mathematics or physics, you can can enter the finance industry.

Remember, passion cannot pay house rent or buy you food. Also, you're residing in Africa's poverty capital.

@Op look into this comment. There's a lot of sense here

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by jesmond3945: 11:16am On Aug 29, 2022
I think Engineering is a problem solving degree. We have need for Engineers and their services in Nigeria. However, the system is in a big mess. There is so much corruption. For example the 18 billion that was used to clear bush would have engaged at least 100k engineers for 6 months. Do you know how much government would have generated from the value chain? So thats the problem. Now as an engineer there are skills you have to build in order to break even. You need the theoretical know how which the University teaches. You need technical which you learn from internship, on the street, on your own and so on. You need marketing skills to sell yourself. You need political skills to engage government to take notice of your craft. However, most graduates stop at the first part thats why they end up as teachers. Those who reach the last part are the ones who are balling.
Finally, the engineering family in Nigeria is only on paper. If I am an Engineer and I get a billion naira contract, I am supposed to look for my fellow Engineers to do the job likewise you getting a contract and bringing me onboard. But what we see is sabotage. They prefer to bring foreigners and unqualified people.
The political class and the elite dont value our engineers, a good example is the Dangote refinery were indians ran the show. Imagine indians running the show in your country.
My advise Op is to go for Engineering but try and get IT skills especially programming.
With a programming skill you dont need a political and you need some marketing skill in order to monetize your craft.

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by franchasofficia: 1:14pm On Aug 29, 2022
Lol

1 Like

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by olisaEze(m): 1:14pm On Aug 29, 2022
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by chloride6: 1:15pm On Aug 29, 2022
No sir. Study engineering and open your mind!

Be prepared to take positions in programming, banking, engineering, consulting, accounting etc.

Nobody promised you a job when you studied engineering.

12 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by FalseProphet1(m): 1:15pm On Aug 29, 2022
There are more applicants than jobs that's why it's almost impossible to get a sensible job upon graduation regardless of your discipline. Alternatively you can become a pastor, I see you making waves in the ministry.

This I have seen.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Millz404(m): 1:15pm On Aug 29, 2022
Better study software engineering
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Nnaemiemax: 1:16pm On Aug 29, 2022
Realistically, studying Engineering in Nigeria could potentially keep you off-radar in the saturated job market, but the array of skills that engineering accords you is incredible.

But then, by 2030, more than half of the jobs in the world will be STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics)

Think Future...

Hope this helps!!!

4 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Judolisco(m): 1:16pm On Aug 29, 2022
No...... Study whatever u want to study then start building yourself while in sch or after sch... Some people find it difficult to combine studies and part time learning of some skills like coding, so learn other stuffs while in sch of after sch....
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by PerfectStranger(m): 1:16pm On Aug 29, 2022
Even forestry/wildlife better pass engineering in Nigeria.
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by xpressionx(m): 1:16pm On Aug 29, 2022
Those days in FUTO engineering girls always had muscles.
But since slayqueens started studying engineering, everywhere scatter.
grin

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by McOluOmo: 1:16pm On Aug 29, 2022
Certificate is more important in 9ja

Guys wey no get girlfriend get peace of mind

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by boldking(m): 1:16pm On Aug 29, 2022
Yes just vote Peter Obi an all these nonsense will stop

6 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Opolopoopolonio: 1:17pm On Aug 29, 2022
How

Just make sure you make at least a 2.1 and by God's grace, you are good to go. cool @selmansee

3 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:17pm On Aug 29, 2022
selmansee:
I have become skeptical about Engineering in Nigeria

Ever since I was in secondary school, All my teachers who taught me science and mathematics are grduates of engineering, my futher math, physics, Agric ,math and chemistry teachers all had degrees ( B.Sc./B.Eng.) in Engineering. Some studied Agric engineering, civil I can still remember one who studied electrical. From FUNAAB

This got me thinking why do they end up like this, Are there no job market for graduate engineers anymore.
Mind you, I live in a highly industrialized area, where I stay, PZ Cussons, African Steel, Kimberly Clack, Dangote Flour, GB foods e.t.c all have their major facotories here..trust me there are many more but these are the highly ranked onced whom I believe many of you might be familiar with.

But when I interact with many of their engineers who work in these factories and live close to my house, I have never see any one of them who are graduates..not a single one..but they work as in engineers in these huge factories especially PZ cussons, African steel and GB foods.. they are not educated
The educated engineers with degrees, I mostly see them in private schools like mine and they earned nothing more than 28,000. They may be be extra from home teaching and the likes

While I was in SS 1, My geography teacher although didn’t study engineering but material science from FUTO (one of my dream school) and he was my teacher in his early 30s earning less than 30k..
The man who tutored me for my WAEC studied Mech.eng from UNIBEN. another tutor whom I wasn’t so close to but I got to know from colleagues that he also studied Mech.eng from Yabatech.
I know a friend whose father is a university dropout but works in Promasidor at Oshodi, they make Cowbell milk and Onga (I think).. and the father is an engineer there..I am confused, How?

I have passion for engineering but I don’t want to foolishly think that my case might be different.
Nairalanders who know a thing or two about the realities engineering in Nigeria
Please, what extra things do engineering students need to learn to ensure after graduation they are able to practice in their field or work in major manufacturing firms like I aspire.

I want to study Mechanical engineering or elect elect. I am still confused..Please I’ll really appreciate if y’all can help

go learn work forget about school my grand pa was an engineer at big company in my state. his employer even took him to london to fix engines for them the old man did not attend any university may his soul continue to rest in peace

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Brunosamel(m): 1:17pm On Aug 29, 2022
Engineering in Nigeria is at highest decline in Nigeria undecided

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by MANNABBQGRILLS: 1:17pm On Aug 29, 2022
No Education is never a scam.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by opalu: 1:17pm On Aug 29, 2022
No
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by noble71(m): 1:18pm On Aug 29, 2022
cool
Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Cti28(m): 1:18pm On Aug 29, 2022
No it isn't a scam, buuuut, Nigeria has made it a scam.

7 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by Natbrowny: 1:18pm On Aug 29, 2022
Evertyn is a scam in this nation.

Practical subject are been 100% theorized

2 Likes

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by dopedan(m): 1:19pm On Aug 29, 2022
I was shocked when I discovered my lawyer is an engineer
Kai county don spoil
Even a gateman was telling me he will like to do masters i no wan ask if he go school i just lock up before d discussion go enter billing

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Studying Engineering Now A Scam In Nigeria by selfmadeOLX(m): 1:19pm On Aug 29, 2022
Tech is the new blood money

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sacked 3 Weeks After Resumption. Lawyers Help! / Bsc In Computer Science, Is It Still A Lucrative Degree? / Is It Advisable To Go For Army Short Service?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.