Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,794 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? (9898 Views)

... Was Sacked For Not Dancing To 'shake Body'... Now An Employer Of Labour / What Are My Chances In The Labour Market. / How Acceptable Is B.ed Degree In Labour Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Jasiel(f): 12:52am On Aug 10, 2011
Hiya, I was wondering if GPA matters when one leaves school. Why are employers more apt to pick someone who finished wiv a first class over someone who finished with a second class? Why the undue emphasis on GPA when university studies is geared towards theoretical research (which makes it especially prone to plagiarism and monotony)
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by ednut1(m): 12:06pm On Aug 10, 2011
The simple fact is da applicants are too much, imagine 10000 pple applyin for 10 spaces, hw wil a company review of them. So to save dem selves cost and time, they put barirers, like cgp, age, sex,skul etc. Wit these barriers like 800 will apply wich is easy to review. The fault is wit government for nt doin their job and our parents manufacturin too much children lmao, simple
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by candylips(m): 12:35pm On Aug 11, 2011
not really.

At entry level it does matter especially in multinationals

but the emphasis decreases as you gain more experience.

the people running top companies did not necessarily finish with first class or 2.1
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by AmeLonRo(m): 12:46pm On Aug 11, 2011
GPA! CGPA! Are they important. If all you want is to be wealthy, please do not go to school. Stay at home, learn how to read and write, do some internet or trading business and you are made.

However, to become a doctor, lawyer,engineer, lecturer, professor etc, you need school and good grades. Before you leave pry schl u do common entrance shey? U do WAEC/NECO and JAMB to enter higher ground.

GPA/CGPA is a measure of your grasp of ur discipline. The higher it is the more you are thought to have grasped.

To get some jobs you need a high CGPA as a stepping stone. Without it you are not considered.

People with poor CGPA's are however succeeding in real life too.

If you ask me, I'll say get good CGPA and succeed with it. people. Many who do not have it are regretting it. If you have it you got many options!

2 Likes

Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by texazzpete(m): 12:47pm On Aug 11, 2011
Jasiel:

Hiya, I was wondering if GPA matters when one leaves school. Why are employers more apt to pick someone who finished wiv a first class over someone who finished with a second class? Why the undue emphasis on GPA when university studies is geared towards theoretical research (which makes it especially prone to plagiarism and monotony)

Smart people are supposed to get over the two challenges you mentioned, aren't they?

A low GPA may not be a crystal clear indication of one's intelligence, but it is often a pointer to how 'serious' a person is  grin
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by 702: 12:58pm On Aug 11, 2011
Most 'First Class' students get technical seats, some become Doctors and some Engineers.

The 'Second Class' pass, pass MBA, become Administrators and control the 'First Class'.

The 'Third Class' pass, enter politics and become Ministers and control both.

Last, but not the least, The 'Failures' join the underworld and control all the above.

Food for thought people!

2 Likes

Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by dramenda(f): 1:06pm On Aug 11, 2011
MosMKN
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Jasiel(f): 1:07pm On Aug 11, 2011
702 that is some food for thought.I'm scared though
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by deenee: 1:07pm On Aug 11, 2011
It depends on your course of study and requirements for the job opening. There are some jobs that would require that you have a certain level of competency in a particular area of expertise. Hence, the only proof might be your actual scores in modules specific to that competency ( this is true for entry level interns in finance and engineering esp those without experience or internships)

However as you climb the  ladder, there is less emphasis on this and a shift to the relevant diversity of experience in your career,your performance till date and other acquisition of 'soft skills' like networking et al.,( I guess one NLder already posted something similar along this line)

We also need to be very careful so that  we don't lose sight of the main objective whilst making the selection during a recruitment process. I have seen first class graduates who have brilliant grades but yet cannot deliver on the job and are still basking in the euphoria of their 'academic achievement'. In the real world, it goes beyond this. Also this does not mean that generalizing assumptions should be made based on one peculiar encounter.

My personal take on this matter is this-get the best grades you can get in school but also develop other skills required to excel career wise and the sky is just the beginning

BTW, I would prefer to hire a graduate with below average grades who is 'STREET SMART and 'LOYAL' than a first class who cannot look beyond his past academic qualifications on paper!
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 11, 2011
ednut1:

The simple fact is da applicants are too much, imagine 10000 pple applyin for 10 spaces, hw wil a company review of them. So to save dem selves cost and time, they put barirers, like cgp, age, sex,skul etc. Wit these barriers like 800 will apply wich is easy to review. The fault is wit government for nt doin their job and our parents manufacturin too much children lmao, simple
Good one.
The truth is if 1000 people, for example, applied for a job, why will a company waste its money and time examining all of them?
The certificate you're bringing is the only criteria they can use to sieve.

The shortlisted few are then subject to the selection process.

But it is also noteworthy that your certificate can only get you an invitation for selection process, your stuff gets you the job eventually. If you're first class or 2.1 and you flunk the test/interview, you're on your own o.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by tushutt(m): 1:15pm On Aug 11, 2011
texazzpete:

Smart people are supposed to get over the two challenges you mentioned, aren't they?

A low GPA may not be a crystal clear indication of one's intelligence, but it is often a pointer to how 'serious' a person is  grin

I second

@topic
it really depends on your course
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by zikclassiq(m): 1:17pm On Aug 11, 2011
GPA is purely acadamics though relevant. Only experience and what u can do counts in a working environment
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Fweezy(m): 1:22pm On Aug 11, 2011
In 2day's Naija, G.P.A is jst about d same worth as d next man's piss of/or sh.it
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by AjanleKoko: 1:35pm On Aug 11, 2011
@OP,
Sounds like you're trying to justify poor performance in school.
I'll be frank with you and tell you the employer's perspective.
From the employer's point of view all of you have no experience. So he has to make a choice, and he has to limit that choice from the crowd of many. So he goes for the smartest he can find, and the only way he can do that is to see what all of you have been doing for years in school.
So make sure you do well in school. It doesn't help if you don't.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Donmeca(m): 1:39pm On Aug 11, 2011
If u are a student, u are meant to study and be among d best in your class. . .it shows u are serious! Some companies offer scholarship and job opportunities to best graduating students of some courses. . .that is one use of CGPA! If u wish to go abroad for your masters degree, most schools will ask for 2nd class upper (even from 4.00) and above or u'll be recommended for a remedial programme. Finally, CGPA is very important if are in school. What is wort doing at all is worth doing very well.

If after giving your best u still end up with a low CGPA, u are not as intelligent as d guy dat made a 1st class. . .he has a brighter chance to success but that does not mean u'll be less successful in real life. U can always remedy ur poor performance through trainings and stuff.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Nobody: 1:53pm On Aug 11, 2011
It ought to because getting top grades is not just a reflection of one's ability to scale through exams but it also takes a lot of hardwork, dedication, effort and consistency on the part of the student.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by DaDoctor: 2:05pm On Aug 11, 2011
^^IN SOME CASES IT MATTERS AS A PRE EMPLYMENT CRITERIA^^

BUT MOSTLY IT IS AN ACADEMIC TOOL! FOR THOSE IN THE ACADEMIC LINE
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Ojumiii(m): 2:08pm On Aug 11, 2011
somehow it does matters, in Nigeria
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Anvaller: 2:48pm On Aug 11, 2011
CGPA is nonsense.

It is only the case in Nigeria because there are few jobs. In developed countries where they have competent hands in all fields, do they ask CGPA?

I remember when I went for my Job interview, all they were concerned about is my work experience and my attitude to work. Can you work with a team, can you work in a multicultural environment? How well can you manage stress? How soon do you plan to marry? Can you work extra hours, Are you prepared to make international travels etc.These ppl were never concerned about my CGPA.

They really hate theory. Even those that are working in research laboratory dont ask CGPA, once you have a certificate showing that you are graduate of microbiology or whatever, then whatever mark you get does not matter, they assume that your knowledge is sufficient to perform in the laboratory. They believe in the quality of their education.

The Nigerian system never allow students with lower grades to believe in themselves which makes me sad. I say it again, in most cases, those grades does not really matter, it is a shame that we are making it a big deal in Nigeria. Let the government provide jobs and it will die naturally.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by stulebaba: 2:50pm On Aug 11, 2011
some employers don't really care, it depends on what u r bringing to the company.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by tlops(m): 3:31pm On Aug 11, 2011
In matters, atleat in Nigeria!
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by agitator: 4:07pm On Aug 11, 2011
702:

Most 'First Class' students get technical seats, some become Doctors and some Engineers.

The 'Second Class' pass, pass MBA, become Administrators and control the 'First Class'.

Last, but not the least, The 'Failures' join the underworld and control all the above.

Food for thought people!

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by hispy99(m): 4:10pm On Aug 11, 2011
Anvaller:

CGPA is nonsense.

It is only the case in Nigeria because there are few jobs. In developed countries where they have competent hands in all fields, do they ask CGPA?

I remember when I went for my Job interview, all they were concerned about is my work experience and my attitude to work. Can you work with a team, can you work in a multicultural environment? How well can you manage stress? How soon do you plan to marry? Can you work extra hours, Are you prepared to make international travels etc.These ppl were never concerned about my CGPA.

They really hate theory. Even those that are working in research laboratory dont ask CGPA, once you have a certificate showing that you are graduate of microbiology or whatever, then whatever mark you get does not matter, they assume that your knowledge is sufficient to perform in the laboratory. They believe in the quality of their education.

The Nigerian system never allow students with lower grades to believe in themselves which makes me sad. I say it again, in most cases, those grades does not really matter, it is a shame that we are making it a big deal in Nigeria. Let the government provide jobs and it will die naturally.

In some case, it matters. If not, there will be no need for folks to state their CGPA on their resumes.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by hackney(m): 4:12pm On Aug 11, 2011
Does one deserve a good job in a particular discipline when they faffed about in school and got poor grades in that discipline? ?
Poor grades means you did not understand anything in the profession.
why would someone employ you on that basis especially if you dont have any experience? ?

You want to tell your employer by mouth that you know what you are doing?
ok.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by haykay2005: 4:14pm On Aug 11, 2011
am confused
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by okonjiaust(m): 4:19pm On Aug 11, 2011
Hello,

If you were that good in school and were careful enough you could have made a good GPA and saved yourself the problem you are facing now.

Very poor GPA is a pointer that you were either poor is school or were not serious.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by sayso: 4:33pm On Aug 11, 2011
it can only make you to be competitive in the open market I think.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Gbenge77(m): 4:41pm On Aug 11, 2011
In Nigeria's labour market,GPA is it.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by dayokanu(m): 5:17pm On Aug 11, 2011
GPA does matter
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Aug 11, 2011
Anvaller:

CGPA is nonsense.

Go ask the guys who graduate from law school or MBA programs. It can be the difference between clerking for the supreme court or working as a pro bono lawyer on $20 an hour. To say CGPA doesnt matter outside Nigeria shows you must have had a low CGPA in school grin

702:

Food for thought people!

My brother na lie. That is what you people use to justify poor performance in school. It applies to only a tiny few, the vast majority of third class and failures are either back in school now or struggling to survive. I know many examples of dudes who played away their time jeering at the rest of us how they would control us once they got out with their pass degrees. Facebook bad oh!

1 Like

Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by lonelydude: 5:37pm On Aug 11, 2011
@op,

Please, if you are yet to graduate, do as much as you can to get a good CGPA. The reason is because you 'll notice that it is very difficult to get jobs these days in Nigeria.However, with a good CGPA, say 4.00 and above, you have the option of not only applying for MSc abroad but you also have the chances of bagging scholarship awards.

If however, you have graduated with a low CGPA, look for ways in which you can improve yourself perhaps by learning new skills as these will give an indication to the employers that you are willing to learn new things and develop yourself.

Cheers.
Re: Does GPA Really Matter In The Labour Market? by Anvaller: 6:05pm On Aug 11, 2011
davidylan:

Go ask the guys who graduate from law school or MBA programs. It can be the difference between clerking for the supreme court or working as a pro bono lawyer on $20 an hour. To say CGPA doesnt matter outside Nigeria shows you must have had a low CGPA in school  grin

My friend I can only laugh at your ignorance, do u think I am a typical Nigerian like you? who doesn't care about interest of people on a lower ladder just because you are well above the ladder. My question still remain what do u call bad grade? We are arguing in the case of Nigeria where ppl will still castigate a 2nd class for not being able to have a job because he did not have 1st class, Is that what u are celebrating? Now you said my stance must have been because I had a low CGPA. Hehehehe If u think MBAs know better, then I know better than you.
Who told you that performance of an MBA would be determined by CGPA in the labour market? I got my MBA since 1 year, I am a member of the esteemed CMI in London, I am employed as an international advisor in the Netherlands, we advise companies on M&O and related issues around the world. My friend, what are you by the way?
Do U know the meaning of MBA? MBAs are trained to explore their practical skills, you are exposed to real life working challenges and you are even thought about realistic reasoning and depend less on theory. In Europe generally no organization in business would employ you if you are Phd, you are expected to work in the academic environment and that is it. Business ppl dont care about whether you are 1st class or whatever. You will be given tasks your ability to handle those tasks would determine whether your contract would be renewed at expiration or asked to go. They dont care if you finished with distinction.

I see u quoting in dollars, U seem to be very local in US, BTW reduce your arrogance, think about those who are still creeping, they can also stand on their feet if we help them. Westerners help themselves but we run down ourselves. I am very concerned

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tax Experts, How Much Is He Supposed To Receive At The End Of The Month? / Reasons Why Employees Leave Your Business / One Single Habit That Makes Every Millionaire A Lot Of Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.