Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,356 members, 7,780,963 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:26 AM

Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! (18234 Views)

Cow Takes A Ride In Honda Accord 2007 / Nissan Murano Experience ?? Pls Help / How Reliable Is Acura MDX Suv Anyone With First Hand Experience Pls. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by digi101(m): 3:41pm On Aug 11, 2011
texazzpete:

There is nothing wrong with the use of the word 'touting'

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/touting?r=75&src=ref&ch=dic
–verb (used with object)
to solicit support for importunately.
to describe or advertise boastfully; publicize or promote; praise extravagantly: a highly touted nightclub.

Strive to be sure of what a word means before you take someone up on it.

Sadly, even the OP doesn't seem to realize that 'touting' doesn't have to be a derogatory meaning, given his abject apology.

femmy2010:

I wouldn't voice an opposition to the word touting if i didn't see some iota of negativity in it.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/touting

1.  To solicit customers, votes, or patronage, especially in a brazen way.

Also check the meaning of Brazen

Marked by flagrant and insolent audacity. See synonyms at shameless.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/brazen#ixzz1UinQIDqG

Being Humble is not the same as being stupid grin I wonder why everyone always has a point to prove and always be right all the damned time! Folks reading this thread are not interested in your lectures and points (as by the nature of the this topic are off point). Please let it go or take your points and definitions somewhere else so we wont be distracted angry

This topic is getting interesting though grin

My question is can one legally import a automobile through the land port? and so pay the correct duty and get original papers? and how do you tell the difference between a fake customs duty receipt and a real one sad
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 11, 2011
digi101:

Being Humble is not the same as being silly grin I wonder why everyone always has a point to prove and always be right all the damned time! Folks reading this thread are not interested in your lectures and points (as by the nature of the this topic are off point). Please let it go or take your points and definitions somewhere else so we wont be distracted angry

My question is can one legally import a automobile through the land port? and so pay the correct duty and get original papers? and how do you tell the difference between a fake customs duty receipt and a real one sad

You should have ignored like we all did
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Gbenge77(m): 4:33pm On Aug 11, 2011
Lots of car smuggling happens through idi-iroko
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by adanny01(m): 5:02pm On Aug 11, 2011
This a very 9ice thread. I hope to get more experience as i prepare to buy my next car. My current car had me confused when i ws prepared to buy. I wanted to use a nairalander but ws scared to meet and trust lagos guys i met on net. I finally sent a guy 4rm here(kduna) to cotonou whom i trust, he brought d car 4 days later. I got d car a 97 accord(academy) in dec 2009 4 900k every cost inclusive. I felt he could ve done beta on d deal though d car was clean thru thru. I ws to go wit him bt work did nt permit me
I want to have a beta deal this yr.
Gt this questn 4 d the car dealers on custom papers. Ithought 1s u register d car u wil nt b askd custom papers. My dealer last time gave me papers wit custom cert bt d guy who did d registratn took d custom paper but neva brought back. Some1 shud clear d air on this custom issue.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by iluvnet(m): 6:09pm On Aug 11, 2011
This is a good thread.

So it all boils down to choosing between having rest of mind while waiting for the car and saving some money. hmmn, thats not easy to decide. But I have come across someone I know how promise to collect only half of the money and bring the car to your doorstep and you pay the balance if the car remains in the same condition as you saw it back in cotonu. Still, this did not douse my fear and especially problem travelling interstate.

Please, we need more views. I am also planing to buy a car but having problem deciding on where to buy - cotonu or lagos.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by tEsLim(m): 6:38pm On Aug 11, 2011
Bought my 1996 V6 VW Passat from Cotonou it was hell and like bad luck. By the time it was driven down to Lagos they already damaged the transmission. I waited for 2 weeks before it got to me in Lagos. I saw how they drove cars while returning to Lagos on my own. The "fayawo" boys as they used to call them drove very rough. And it was rainy. They even had to cut some other car's seat-belts  shocked to to another car that got its ABS/brakes all locked down and wheels wont move. I dislike the VW because the car parts where and are still so expensive I sold to my friend but I always tell him to sell it since he'd replaced transmission more than twice ,  I did replace transmission too.

Well on my way back I saw cheap apples and frozen chicken/turkeys and liquor i bought some because i chattered a vehicle that took me to and fro with my friend and agent But then I started disliking buying apple/chicken and other imported frozen foods because i started thinking they sometimes spend months in Cotonou before being smuggled to Nigeria

Since then I've only used Lagos cleared , i.e brand new Kia and lastly an 08 Honda Civic

1 Like

Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by femmy2010(m): 6:40pm On Aug 11, 2011
blink182:

I have read all your suggestions but should I decide to get a car from cotonou, what do I do to legalize my car and drive without fear? undecided

Follow your dealer to the custom office at the point of entries into Nigeria(Seme or Idiroko) and have Nigeria duty paid and if paid in your absence you can easily walk into any custom office to verify if the payment was made or not.
Do that and you can drive your vehicle everywhere and anywhere without worry.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by adedayo79: 7:11pm On Aug 11, 2011
My first experience buying a car from cotonu in 2007 was off nl though but was a very sad one and wouldnt wish my enemy to go through same emotional torture i went through.
Paid for a car but i only got half refund back after many months of trouble making and stress.
I did muster up courage last year and used the service of a nl cotonu dealer and it has been smooth sail since.
I have recommended many of my co-workers to the dealer and he has always performed,one funny thing is that i have never met this sincere cotonu dealer till date and yet he performs.
I think it boils down to the type of dealer we use.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 7:38pm On Aug 11, 2011
I would advise anyone who wants to buy a car to buy it in Nigeria at the ports and pay his /her duty at tha bank by his/herself in order to be on the safe side.
Most vehicles brought in from Cotonu are smuggled into the country by touts and smugglers and NO duty is paid on such vehicles.
Most of the time the vehicles are smuggled through foot paths and you could find your vehicle being intercepted by the customs in the hintrland and seized.
These touts/smugglers will alwys pay all tha taxes in Cotonu but will refuse to pay the same in their homeland Nigeria.
They will take your vehicle through all kinds of terrible bush path roads in order to evade payment of duty,however the problem is that the customs ASSYCUDA system is now all over the country,so if you claim to have paid duty in Warri,if the documents are intercepted in Sokoto the computer will reveal if duty was actually paid into the coffers of the Federal government.
Please always ensure you pay your duty by yourself at any designated Bank to avoid regretting later.
It may be cheaper to buy a vehicle from Cotonu but the dangers are enormous.
BE WARNED: A word is enough for the wise!
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 7:47pm On Aug 11, 2011
femmy2010:

Follow your dealer to the custom office at the point of entries into Nigeria(Seme or Idiroko) and have Nigeria duty paid and if paid in your absence you can easily walk into any custom office to verify if the payment was made or not.
Do that and you can drive your vehicle everywhere and anywhere without worry.

Be WARNED no duty is paid in any Customs office!
Customs duty is only Valued by the customs VALUATION unit while duty MUST be paid at a Customs designated bank.
However after payment duty can be confirmed at the customs Processing Centre CPC at the border or the ports.
Be careful so you do not fall a victim later.
These touts could smuggle the car in for you at Seme OR Idi-Iroko and the car will be intercepted by another set of customs officers at Kaduna.
It may be cheaper,but there is a lot of danger involved in clearing vehicles through the borders.
PLEASE BE WARNED!
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by veryfrank: 7:54pm On Aug 11, 2011
You want to buy cheap and risk impoundment? Then buy from Cotonuo.
Want to spend more and have peace of mind? Buy in Lagos.
Buyers choice i say.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by femmy2010(m): 8:08pm On Aug 11, 2011
Vehicle coming from Cotonou and to be duly cleared has to be brought to the Custom office at the Border where Custom valuation officers(with an office at the border)would value it and the blue valuation paper would show the calculated value of the vehicle to be cleared which gives you a definite amount of duty to be paid and this can be easily paid at designated banks sited in and around the border.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 11, 2011
digi101:

Being Humble is not the same as being silly grin I wonder why everyone always has a point to prove and always be right all the damned time! Folks reading this thread are not interested in your lectures and points (as by the nature of the this topic are off point). Please let it go or take your points and definitions somewhere else so we wont be distracted angry

You can legally import a vehicle through the land borders by the following ways:
1.Take your bill of lading to the customs office at the border.
2.Go to the valuation office where proper customs duty will be assessed on your vehicle as per the manufacturing year.
3.Go to a designated bank and pay the assessed duty yourself!
The designated bank will issue you a reciept as well as sending a copy of the payment reciept to the Customs processinjg centre.
Collect your documents and then drive your vehicle fromthe border to your house in comfort.Provided you have paid the appropriate duty fot your vehicle yopu do not njeed to bribe any police man or customs man on the road because you can rest assured that you paid the duty yourslf.
It is a bit taxing but your mind will be at rest.
AVOID TOUTS AND SMUGGLERS!
You have beenWARNED!
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by bluehorizo(m): 8:21pm On Aug 11, 2011
I have bought 5 different vehicles at various time from Cotonou and have never encountered any problem with police or customs. I have traveled to Ibadan,benin,warri,port-harcourt and the only problem I had then was with tinted permit.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 11, 2011
[s]
bluehorizo:

I have bought 5 different vehicles at various time from Cotonou and have never encountered any problem with police or customs. I have traveled to Ibadan,benin,warri,port-harcourt and the only problem I had then was with tinted permit.

I just hope duty was paid on these vehicles. As they say,everyday for the thief,one day for the owner!
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by kblastic(f): 8:30pm On Aug 11, 2011
i got a 2001 toyota avalon last month and d dealer did gave me 2 quote 2 get d car with custom card and without custom card but i chose d lesser which is withut custom pay cos of d N170k difference i woul not spend.
i do say it is not alwys d cotonu dealer's fault but we that patronise often ask dem 2 smuggle it in for us so we can save money.
For now,am zooming off.lol.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 9:04pm On Aug 11, 2011
Customs and Excise Management Act 1990 cap87 Chapter 46 says:-
(a)except as provided by or under this act any imported goods,being goods chargeable with a duty of customs,are without payment of that duty landed or unloaded in Nigeria or removed from their place of importation or from any approved wharf,examination station or customs area:or
(b)any goods are imported,landed or unloaded contrary to any prohibition;or
THESE GOODS SHALL BE FORFEITED

A word is enough for the Wise!

Customs and Excise management Act 1990 cap 87 chapter 47 says:
If any person-
(a)lands or unloads in Nigeria,or removes from their place of importation or from any approved wharf,examination station,or customs area-
(i)any goods chargeable with a duty which has not been paid:or
(ii)any goods contrary to any prohibition;or
(b)assists or is otherwise concerned in such landing,unloading or removal of such goods,
HE SHALL BE SENTENCED TO IMPRISONMENT FOR FIVE YEARS WITHOUT THE OPTION OF A FINE!

Think before you act, Do not fall a victim to touts and smugglers!
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by occam(m): 9:25pm On Aug 11, 2011
What exactly is the purpose of this discussion? We all know that the intention of buying cars from Cotonou is to circumvent paying Nigerian custom duties. Period. Isn't that smuggling?

All these cars are coming directly from Europe & North America not Benin Republic or Togo. Why can't Nigerian car dealers come together and advocate a reduction in custom duties instead of encouraging their clients to bring in cars through the "back door".

You want to save money? fine. bring your car through Cotonou and take the risk.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by skkutty: 9:36pm On Aug 11, 2011
My brother, I was in your shoe before, I made my inquiry and after that I resolved to buy my car at Cotonu.
Simply go there with any reliable agent, make your choice and ask him to bring it to custom ofice at seme and clear it with custom.
You will have rest of mind because all your papers are complete and your car will be driven into Lagos NOT THROUGH THE BUSH.
You also land it cheaper from Cotonu.
I just bought a 1998/99 Toyota 4Runner sparkling clean through Cotonu. Everything I spent was 1.36m. I AM ENJOYING IT

1 Like

Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by symbianDON(m): 9:59pm On Aug 11, 2011
to conclude that every car bought is cotonou is smuggled into nigeria or bears fake custom papers is grossly misleading and smacks of absolute ignorance. that a car comes into the country via a land border doesn't mean it was smuggled in. for your car to bear genuine custom papers it must not necessarily pass thru a seaport! you can buy a car from cotonou or anywhere else for that matter and have duty paid on it at the border and you ll be issued genuine papers.

1 Like

Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by SignorZax: 10:38pm On Aug 11, 2011
Richvkunt:

Customs and Excise Management Act 1990 cap87 Chapter 46 says:-
(a)except as provided by or under this act any imported goods,being goods chargeable with a duty of customs,are without payment of that duty landed or unloaded in Nigeria or removed from their place of importation or from any approved wharf,examination station or customs area:or
(b)any goods are imported,landed or unloaded contrary to any prohibition;or
THESE GOODS SHALL BE FORFEITED

A word is enough for the Wise!

Customs and Excise management Act 1990 cap 87 chapter 47 says:
If any person-
(a)lands or unloads in Nigeria,or removes from their place of importation or from any approved wharf,examination station,or customs area-
(i)any goods chargeable with a duty which has not been paid:or
(ii)any goods contrary to any prohibition;or
(b)assists or is otherwise concerned in such landing,unloading or removal of such goods,
HE SHALL BE SENTENCED TO IMPRISONMENT FOR FIVE YEARS WITHOUT THE OPTION OF A FINE!

Think before you act, Do not fall a victim to touts and smugglers!
E be lyk say U be Custom Officer. Make U no think say we no know say we suppose pay duty for Nigeria. Na the cost of the transaction we actually dey try to cut down. Even Europe and America ryt now dey find how to cut down costs. LOL>
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by SignorZax: 10:52pm On Aug 11, 2011
Actually its safer to buy your car here in Naija, especially if it is still within the government approved age (formerly 10 years, but now 15 years). But buying cars older than 15 years is usually cheaper in Cotonou. The duty paid for cars in Nigeria is usually very high compared to other West African countries especially our Francophone brothers like Benin, Togo, etc. IMO, I think this reflects in the final price the end user pays for the car, thereby making it cheaper to buy in neighbouring countries. I believe if you deduct the taxes and duties paid on cars in Nigeria and Cotonou, the actual price of the car may not be that different from one another. I may be right anyway, but, I still stand to be corrected if I'm wrong.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 3:59am On Aug 12, 2011
Signor Zax:

E be lyk say U be Custom Officer. Make U no think say we no know say we suppose pay duty for Nigeria. Na the cost of the transaction we actually dey try to cut down. Even Europe and America ryt now dey find how to cut down costs. LOL>

Answers to your questions:
1.No I am not.
2.The Customs and Excise Management Act is on the internet.Study it before you undertake any transaction,so that you do not fall a victim.
3.My brother,you are free to cut cost,but think of tomorrow,if this vehicle is intercepted in another part of the country because of falsified documents.
Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by tnktosin(m): 4:02am On Aug 12, 2011
My experience,  
I met a dealer (Ademola) here on nairaland, we made arrangements, went to Coutonou and got my choice car, a honda Pilot 2006(American spec 2 wheel version with Nav, Vcm, and rearview cam and all) January dis year.
First when i met him, a young guy of about my age (25) shocked shocked, it seemed like a joke to me. Initially i was scared doing business with someone i met online but in the end it was worth it smiley smiley. I got genuine custom papers I've driven from Lagos to Delta State and back through custom check points severally and they've checked and seen its genuine. The ride is still in top form.
I still call this guy once in a while for a drink till date  cool cool.
I even posted pics of the car on the guys thread in autos section

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-272806.2240.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-272806.2208.html

Simply put, my experience was great.  wink wink wink
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by CHRISDGRT: 7:09am On Aug 12, 2011
It all depends on the car you want to buy all the vehicle which are bound (will call it CB) from ENTERING NIGERIA, ARE USING COTONOU ROUTE FOR SMUGGLING IT INTO THE COUNTRY, SO IF YOU ARE BUYING UNDERAGE CAR WHICH RANGE FROM 1996- DOWNWARDS YOU CAN BUT IT THERE BECAUSE YOU WANT TO SMUGGLE IT IN BUT IT YOU ARE BUYING A DUTIABLE VEHICLE WHICH IS FROM 1997- UPWARDS BUY IT IN NIGERIA.
WHEN YOU BUY A CAR FROM COTONOU THEY WILL TRY TO CHARGE YOU FOR CUSTOMS AND ASK YOU TO GO THAT THEY WILL BRING THE CAR TO YOU, KNOW THAT THESE VEHICLES ARE SMUGGLED IN TO THE COUNTRY SO ANY TIME CUSTOMS CATCHES YOU JUST PREPARE TO TAKE A DEBIT NOTE TO PAY THE DUTY OR IF YOU ARE TYPE THAT ARGUES TOO MUCH WHEN YOU COMMIT CRIME FOR NOT PAYING DUTY, YOU WILL BE ARRESTED AND THE VEHICLE IMPOUNDED(IF IS A VEHICLE THAT FALL WITHIN THE LAW BUT IF CB BE SURE TO FORFEIT IT TO CUSTOMS CAUSE THEY WILL SEIZE IT.

WHAT MAKE MOST NIGERIANS THINK COTONOU CARS ARE CHEAPER FOR NIGERIA ARE THESE

1: IN COTONOU NIGERIAN HAPPILY BUY DAMAGED REPAIRED CARS, FAULTY GEAR BOX CAR THEN GET HOME TO REPAIR IT, HIGH MILEAGE CARS, MOST UNDERAGE CARS ARE BOUGHT THERE MOSTLY EUROPEAN DRIVEN USED CARS.

2: THEY PAY COTONOU DUTY HAPPILY BUT DON`T WANT TO PAY NIGERIAN DUTY SO THE DIFFERENT IS THAT DUTY NOT PAID ON THAT DUTIABLE VEHICLE YOU BOUGHT WHICH EVEN AFTER REGISTRATION CUSTOM CAN STILL IMPOUND IT.

3: AFTER YOUR PURCHASE YOU ARE ON YOU OWN IF NIGERIA CUSTOMS INTERCEPT THIS VEHICLE, THE SMUGGLERS WILL CALL THAT IF YOU DON`T COME TO SETTLE CUSTOM THAT IS YOUR BUSINESS, SOMETIMES SETTLEMENT DO REACH UP-TO NGN500,000.00 FOR SHARP VEHICLES WHICH VALUE FROM NGN1000000 BUT THIS SETTLEMENT IS OUT OF NIGERIA DUTY PAYMENT.

4:MOST COTONOU CARS ARE MOSTLY EUROPEAN DRIVEN USED CARS TRY BUYING THE AMERICAN SPECS FROM THERE THEM TELL THE TRUTH YOUR EXPERIENCE.

FOR MY SINCERE ADVICE IF YOU PAY NIGERIAN DUTY FOR THE VEHICLE YOU BOUGHT IN COTONOU IT CAN NEVER BE CHEAPER COMPARE TO ONE BOUGHT IN NIGERIA. COTONOU BECAME POPULOUS IN CAR MARKET SIMPLY BECAUSE SOME NIGERIA CUSTOMS DO NOT IMPLEMENT THE LAW THEY PREFER GOVT REVENUE TO BE IN THERE POCKETS AND STILL COLLECT SALARIES, AND ALSO DUE TO GOVT INSENSITIVITY TO THE MASSES PROBLEM 60% OF AVERAGE CAR OWNER IN NIGERIA FALL WITH THE BRACKET OF NGN1,300,000.00 TO NGN450,000 VEHICLE THESE CARS ARE THE ONES THAT FALL IN THIS VALUE WHERE DECLARE CONTRA-BOUND BY OBASONJO AND OTHER VARIOUS REGIMES THAT HAVE RULED THIS COUNTRY BEFORE PRESIDENT JONATHAN SLASH IT TO 15YEARS.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by oluwabamis(m): 8:17am On Aug 12, 2011
buying car from Cotonou is a no-go-area for me. my last car was bought from there, apart from the risk of carrying huge sums of money across the border, I also bought an accidented car eventually, which took more than 2 weeks to arrive and the worst of all it was more expensive than Lagos price. you see its like a triple disaster for me.
MY VERY PERSONNAL ADVICE IS STAY AWAY FROM COTONOU
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Nobody: 9:30am On Aug 12, 2011
symbianDON:

to conclude that every car bought is cotonou is smuggled into nigeria or bears fake custom papers is grossly misleading and smacks of absolute ignorance. that a car comes into the country via a land border doesn't mean it was smuggled in. for your car to bear genuine custom papers it must not necessarily pass thru a seaport! you can buy a car from cotonou or anywhere else for that matter and have duty paid on it at the border and you ll be issued genuine papers.
This is fine with me.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by bountimore: 9:41am On Aug 12, 2011
Now this is a cool topic,well I bet cotonou buys are 50/50 chance,my dad's got a couple of cars from cotonue atleast 4 and he has been lucky to use them well and sell afterwards, but we became unlucky on thn 5th buy, lol, Was a c-class,american specs, padded,classy in its class,painfully it got siezed only after 6months of using it just after berger along ibadan expressway on an interstate travel,we never got it back till date,worse is the money,bribe we incured in a bid to get it back, lost a lot of money atleast over half of the cost of the car was used as bribe etc in a bid to have it back which we neva had.
Maybe we worsened the matter by not engraving the car allover sha.

Since then all other purchase has been either from the u.s or canada o,even mine, very perfect n clean, summing up to 4 purchases nw from us n canada, a c-class, isuzu trooper,2002maxima and this year a muscle, its been cheaper than lagos car mkt prices. Now this is a cool topic,well I bet cotonou buys are 50/50 chance,my dad's got a couple of cars from cotonue atleast 4 and he has been lucky to use them well and sell afterwards, but we became unlucky on thn 5th buy, lol, Was a c-class,american specs, padded,classy in its class,painfully it got siezed only after 6months of using it just after berger along ibadan expressway on an interstate travel,we never got it back till date,worse is the money,bribe we incured in a bid to get it back, lost a lot of money atleast over half of the cost of the car was used as bribe etc in a bid to have it back which we neva had.
Maybe we worsened the matter by not engraving the car allover sha.

Since then all other purchase has been either from the u.s or canada o,even mine, very perfect n clean, summing up to 4 purchases nw from us n canada, a c-class, isuzu trooper,2002maxima and this year a muscle, its been cheaper than lagos car mkt prices.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by owohblow: 9:47am On Aug 12, 2011
y wont people patronize cotonou when it cost N1.3m to clear a 2009/10 Benz ML jeep in lagos and for N450k it was cleared in cotonou and delivered to me.
i have bought 2 cars from cotonou and had one shipped to cotonou and cleared till date and would buy again there when i get enough money saved to change my wife's car.
i was not forced to buy from there and i am okay with buying from there.
pay or not to pay duty is buyers choice so why the topic?
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by Akpojeweo: 10:07am On Aug 12, 2011
Just 2 days now this thread has attracted an incredible traffic, this is good. I had shared my experiences and given my advice. @tnktosin' does your custom papers reflect tincan or seme? your answer will give me a word to say here. @femmy2010: will a dealer allow you along himself to the custom office for duties payment? Is it possible for a customer to follow his car from cotonou port to seme border and stay with a dealer throughout the days of this deal to ease off tension? I advised buying from cotonou if we must abide by the rules and regulations.
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by femmy2010(m): 10:50am On Aug 12, 2011
Akpojeweo:

@femmy2010: will a dealer allow you along himself to the custom office for duties payment?

A buyer can go with his clearing agent to view the payment and documentation process.

Akpojeweo:

Is it possible for a customer to follow his car from cotonou port to seme border and stay with a dealer throughout the days of this deal to ease off tension?

Officially,only 2 occupant is allowed to sit in a newly cleared vehicle from the Cotonou park/Port to Seme.Idiroko border and yes your agent can go in a commercial vehicle while you seat in your vehicle with the Beninese driver while been driven to the border.
And yes,you can stay at the border with your dealer till clearing process on Nigeria end is completed to ease tension.

[b]
Note.
Different people has different reasons they choose to buy or clear a car from Cotonou.

1 They want to see vehicles they intend to buy as it is and not repaired ones sold by some sellers in Lagos.
2 They want to save money buy skipping Duty payment.
3 They know that no where in Nigeria can they get an agglomeration of various vehicles in a singular location and want to make a pick from those very many available buy options.
4 Some Nigerians ship their vehicles to Cotonou to skip paying high clearing cost that is associated with Lagos ports.e.g it cost above N1m to clear a 2010/2011 Camry and a budget under N500k would clear it in Cotonou and safely "smuggled" into Nigeria(With Owner's approval).
5 Vehicles older than 15 years are not dutiable and officially not allowed to come into the Country so they buy from Cotonou and have it smuggled in.
6 Some want to buy their desired vehicle and be sure the correct duty is paid and duly cleared to prevent any possible harassment by customs or any other security agencies.
6 It cost cheaper to have a vehicle shipped to Cotonou and for the singular reason that importers do not have to pay clearing fee means they can afford to sell a vehicle for as cheap as they like anytime.

My Advice

If your plan is to buy a vehicle from Cotonou and get it duly cleared by Customs at the point of entry into Nigeria with your primary aim of still "saving money" compared to what is obtainable in Lagos/Nigeria market then i do say BUY IN LAGOS.
Why?The same duty charged at the sea ports is what is charged at the borders meaning it would give you same buying cost after duty must have been paid.

BUT if saving cost is not the main factor of choosing buying from Cotonou but to be sure you are buying a vehicle with clean title and duty accurately paid then the famous Cotonou auto market is waiting for you.

You only save money when the vehicle is smuggled in thus skipping duty payment.

So again,the choice is yours.
[/b]
Re: Have You Bought A Ride From Coutonou? -share Ur Experience Pls! by fizzybaba(m): 12:16pm On Aug 12, 2011
femmy, your last post leaves me in wild amazement

i had thought buying cars in cotonou are relatively cheaper. And i dont mean via escaping custom papers. who want his car siezed anyway?

Then i am game for PRE-ORDER!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Car Mileage And Engine Performance / Tincan Port Congestion / Mercedes Displays New Police Vehicles, Including X-class Truck

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.