Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,359 members, 7,780,981 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:48 AM

Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? (9204 Views)

How Your Date Of Birth Can Dictate Your Career Path / Parents Affect Their Children's Careers? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by Wahala90: 9:26pm On Aug 10, 2011
Should parents force their children into any career? For example, a successful lawyer forcing his child to read law because he wants him to take over his law firm.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by obowunmi(m): 9:58pm On Aug 10, 2011
hmmm hmm -- this is a tricky one. Parents can serve as guides but shouldn't force.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by AjanleKoko: 11:00pm On Aug 10, 2011
That one will be hard these days. You'll prolly lose the child.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by afrobaby(f): 8:54am On Aug 11, 2011
I was not forced into choosing my career, why should I force my children, all I need do is guide them, the final decision is theirs and theirs alone
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by Grassroot: 12:49pm On Aug 11, 2011
I think the things we are exposed to when we are very young affect our career choices more than our gifts (if we ever have the opportunity to discover them). If a successful lawyer wants to "dictate" the career of his child, he can cultivate the interest in the child at a very young age. Make him/her love the career from infancy. The child would make the choice naturally. As the child gets older, it gets difficult.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by udbyron1(m): 12:50pm On Aug 11, 2011
nay very wrong
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by warota(m): 12:58pm On Aug 11, 2011
thats d best thing to do. Nigeria of today is unpredictable in terms of job security and some other unforseen troubles here and their
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by kblastic(f): 1:30pm On Aug 11, 2011
this is a hard one.
the kids are too young to make certain decisions for themselves and they equally a times know the best for themselves.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by yuzedo: 1:50pm On Aug 11, 2011
Yes! My parents forced me to be a mortician, and now I make $1.40 an hour!! angry angry angry
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by kizito96(m): 2:25pm On Aug 11, 2011
Parents can only monitor their children to know what course they choose, but not to force them to fulfill their ambition not their children's. They only guide not choose
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by eghost247(m): 2:28pm On Aug 11, 2011
obowunmi:

hmmm hmm -- this is a tricky one. Parents can serve as guides but shouldn't force.
seconded
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by Johnnny(m): 2:45pm On Aug 11, 2011
Parents shouldn't force but they must guide their wards.  

Some parents are even worse, they are non-challant, they don't force neither do they guide.  They just leave their children to do whatever.

But to be candid, Though it is good to be a guide and a partaker in deciding a career for one's children based on the fact that you as parent have gone a long way in life, and have seen the ups and downs in most sectors of the economy; You have more experience in knowing which career will be more rewarding and fulfilling.  But remember you must only suggest to them and give reasons for your suggested careers.    

The children must have the final say.

1 Like

Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by omaojo1: 2:46pm On Aug 11, 2011
You have to guide but it might have to go beyond that at times

What would u do as a pastor whose son is hell bent on being a worldly music star?

To the extent that they are forced to do what is reasonable, its ok.

The way nowadays children de think if u leave them dem fit become anything.

After all, the parents are older and should know the better path for their wards.

This is not ruling out sentiment on the part of some parents.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by yuzedo: 3:05pm On Aug 11, 2011
Yes! My parents dictated my brother to be an armed-robber and part-time kidnapper. . . Great career choice! wink tongue undecided angry grin
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by MrStrategy(m): 3:14pm On Aug 11, 2011
No.

Parents should observe their children properly.
From birth, the idiosyncrasies of their children can point to their areas of strength.
It is the duty of the parent to guide their children from a tender age through the process of choosing a career by suggesting a suitable range of options. Parents should also make learn aids or practical opportunities where their children can begin to get exposed to what they'll be doing for the rest of their lives.

The final decision should be made by the children themselves and parents should encourage them to be the best they can ever become.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by sobolation: 3:17pm On Aug 11, 2011
Mennen this is a serious issue,look when i was young my old MAN insisted i read MEDICINE while i have a passion for LAW,at last after a strong and long  battle,he simply refused to pay my bills to school and i had to drop,till now i can't lay claim to being a graduate,even at 34yrs old now am still yet to fulfill my dream of being a lawyer,neither am i a doctor,but sooner or later i will hit the classroom again for my dream choice of career,no matter my age then,but i have hence solemnly swore never to impose any career on my kids,whatever they want to read i will only guide and pray GOD  to crown it with success,it hurts till date seeing myself as a undergraduate,after almost 17yrs of leaving secondary school,whenever i recall this am full of pains and agony of being the son of once a soldier,pls NOBODY SHOULD EVER TRY THAT ON HIS WARD,ITS CRIMINAL AND LIKEWISE A SIN TO DO,let your wards discover their inner man and explore it,you should rather be a guide to help direct them whenever they are going astray,i know where and  how the pains felt.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by BigMeat2: 3:46pm On Aug 11, 2011
Proper guidance to help the children to choose a career of their choice.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by sayso: 4:30pm On Aug 11, 2011
parents guide their children,that the right thing to do,but when the child grows he/she can change.It is never too late.Serena/Venus just to mention a few.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by Gbenge77(m): 4:35pm On Aug 11, 2011
Absolutely not.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by atasteve: 4:37pm On Aug 11, 2011
No it is wrong to force, the last generation made that mistake, it will be disastrous for Nigeria's Economic growth.

The best is to give the child several options early in life and later the child can pick either amongst the options or even something new entirely. smiley
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by jokingmary(m): 5:02pm On Aug 11, 2011
Answer to question = Capital NO

If everyone becomes a lawyer, doctor, engineer, then what will they be working for?
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by obowunmi(m): 5:15pm On Aug 11, 2011
^^^ pls speak English.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Aug 11, 2011
sobolation:

Mennen this is a serious issue,look when i was young my old MAN insisted i read MEDICINE while i have a passion for LAW,at last after a strong and long  battle,he simply refused to pay my bills to school and i had to drop,till now i can't lay claim to being a graduate,even at 34yrs old now am still yet to fulfill my dream of being a lawyer,neither am i a doctor,but sooner or later i will hit the classroom again for my dream choice of career,no matter my age then,but i have hence solemnly swore never to impose any career on my kids,whatever they want to read i will only guide and pray GOD  to crown it with success,it hurts till date seeing myself as a undergraduate,after almost 17yrs of leaving secondary school,whenever i recall this am full of pains and agony of being the son of once a soldier,pls NOBODY SHOULD EVER TRY THAT ON HIS WARD,ITS CRIMINAL AND LIKEWISE A SIN TO DO,let your wards discover their inner man and explore it,you should rather be a guide to help direct them whenever they are going astray,i know where and  how the pains felt.

wow! public universities used to be so cheap like 10 yrs ago . . . you couldnt get any help from anyone?
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by dayokanu(m): 5:24pm On Aug 11, 2011
To some extent yes.

If your child says he wants to be a DJ grow dreadlocks and sing raggae in pubs, I would definitely object.

parents are older and more exposed, They know what goes on in the Job market and the world

Imagine if a child says he wants to Study Latin in University of Ibadan what job prospects would he have after graduation?
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by obowunmi(m): 5:26pm On Aug 11, 2011
^^^^ why are you always all about the extreme.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by Nobody: 5:27pm On Aug 11, 2011
dayokanu:

To some extent yes.

If your child says he wants to be a DJ grow dreadlocks and sing raggae in pubs, I would definitely object.

parents are older and more exposed, They know what goes on in the Job market and the world

Imagine if a child says he wants to Study Latin in University of Ibadan what job prospects would he have after graduation?

i tire oh. My father made it perfectly clear, while he didnt force anyone to study a particular course, he wanted at least one to study medicine. The rest had to reach the highest echelon in their chosen careers. thank God for his persistence, i would be an english teacher somewhere in abeokuta now arguing over minimum wage.

for my kids - its either medicine, engineering or other courses in the biomedical field. School fees are expensive here, cant waste it on 4 yrs for a psychology degree.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by obowunmi(m): 5:42pm On Aug 11, 2011
whats wrong with a psychology, English, or French Literature degree ---- tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by Sagamite(m): 6:07pm On Aug 11, 2011
You should only guide/advise, not force.

Only do that if you are capable enough to understand their personality, natural skills and the market forces. Listen a lot and don't be dogmatic.

That said, you are allowed to force if the child is completely useless, hopeless and obviously has no ambition, then flog the hell out of him if he is not doing as he is told.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by IfiNoSeeU: 6:07pm On Aug 11, 2011
my eyes popped when i saw this thread cos its a pain i have had to deal with. i spent 6 yrs reading a course i dont like simply cos my father wants me to be that. Now am grown and back to my passion, entertainment, music and am so damn happy. All those years simply wasted. Its only proper if kids are guided based on their interest and not having careers imposed on em
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by IfiNoSeeU: 6:09pm On Aug 11, 2011
nah please dont flog em. its abuse lol
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by Nobody: 6:24pm On Aug 11, 2011
IfiNoSeeU:

nah please dont flog em. its abuse lol

for where? the bible recommends it.
Re: Should Parents Dictate Their Children's Career? by dayokanu(m): 6:34pm On Aug 11, 2011
obowunmi:

^^^^ why are you always all about the extreme.

Do you know how many kids waste their lives trying to be DJ, etc? I had a friend who was quite smart in secondary and abandoned UME classes to play Basketball . The guy is now in his 30's the best he has ever done is to appear as mercenary for some Schools in NUGA or NIPOGA and atimes represent taraba State or Ebonyi State in National Sport festivals.

davidylan:

i tire oh. My father made it perfectly clear, while he didnt force anyone to study a particular course, he wanted at least one to study medicine. The rest had to reach the highest echelon in their chosen careers. thank God for his persistence, i would be an english teacher somewhere in abeokuta now arguing over minimum wage.

for my kids - its either medicine, engineering or other courses in the biomedical field. School fees are expensive here, cant waste it on 4 yrs for a psychology degree.

Same with me, I wont force them but I would tailor them that way, I am of the opinion that some courses are just waste of time.

Someone going to school to study Communications, Romance languages, Anthropology, Human behaviour and Kinetics?

WTF Like seriously What the phock. After school you still end uop wotking at a call center struggling for a $10-12/hr job after incurring student loans

(1) (2) (Reply)

Thread for Petroleum Engineers, Both Fresh Graduates And Experienced / Got An Interview, How Do You Tell Your Present Boss? / How To Write Leave Application Letter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.