Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,996 members, 7,806,892 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:29 AM

Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? (67169 Views)

Bauchi-Ningi: 28 Family Members Traveling In A Bus Die In A Motor Accident / Groom, Family Members Killed In Fatal Accident On The Way To Wedding. Photos / What Australians Think About Nigerians (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 1:06am On Sep 18, 2022
I noticed that most Nigerians feel so much achievement upon having a family member outside the country. I have seen Nigerians proudly declare the following (just an example tough) :

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

5. My cousin in South Africa

6. My husband is in the United Arab Emirates

7. My daughter in Italy

8. My brother in Malaysia

9. My nephew in India

10. My brother sister uncle daughter son in Kuwait
Etc.
I observe a pride in each of these people, and I realized that it doesn't even matter which country the family resides in, for the homers, they always feel like they won a noble prize by having a family abroad.
Some of these people have families in Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Libya, Kuwait, Honduras, Greece etc. And they puff with pride as if it's a life worth achievement.
Others have families in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, France, South Africa, Australia etc, which is still note worthy.

But the Question is; why do most Nigerians count having a family abroad as a big achievement, and even make mockery of their fellow Nigerians who do not have a family member abroad. Or those who refuse to mention that they have families abroad?

Is it a Nigerian thing to behave like that, or is it a global thing, do other countries nationals behave like that?

Your opinion is the back bone of this thread. Thank you.

154 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by rusher14: 1:10am On Sep 18, 2022
Mtcheeew.

244 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by ednut1(m): 1:20am On Sep 18, 2022
Its a southern Nigerian thing. People in the village pride themselves in having relatives in Lagos, port harcourt, asaba, Abuja etc. most Nigerians see whites as superior hence the phenomenon. If you have worked with whites in Nigeria, they get special treatment and privileges. Also many believe having a relative abroad will make it easy for them to also travel which is usually not the case .Naso he be

371 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Ishilove: 2:10am On Sep 18, 2022
rusher14:
Mtcheeew.
Mscheeeew x 2

147 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Nobody: 2:14am On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:
I noticed that most Nigerians feel so much achievement upon having a family member outside the country. I have seen Nigerians proudly declare the following (just an example tough) :

1. My uncle in Canada

2. My Aunty in UK

3. My Brother in the US

4. My son in Germany

5. My cousin in South Africa

6. My husband is in the United Arab Emirates

7. My daughter in Italy

8. My brother in Malaysia

9. My nephew in India

10. My brother sister uncle daughter son in Kuwait
Etc.
I observe a pride in each of these people, and I realized that it doesn't even matter which country the family resides in, for the homers, they always feel like they won a noble prize by having a family abroad.
Some of these people have families in Indonesia, Malaysia, Israel, Libya, Kuwait, Honduras, Greece etc. And they puff with pride as if it's a life worth achievement.
Others have families in the US, UK, Germany, Canada, France, South Africa, Australia etc, which is still note worthy.

But the Question is; why do most Nigerians count having a family abroad as a big achievement, and even make mockery of their fellow Nigerians who do not have a family member abroad. Or those who refuse to mention that they have families abroad?

Is it a Nigerian thing to behave like that, or is it a global thing, do other countries nationals behave like that?

Your opinion is the back bone of this thread. Thank you.
Very GOOD QUESTION.
Such Threads should be allowed to soar.
The Truth is, such is basically an African thing and most specially a Negro-African thing.

To a Caucasian, Traveling means leisure.
He travels to explore and learn newer ways of doing things and not to create tornadoes.
But most Nigerians leave the country for GREENER PASTURES and not for exploration.
So, leaving Nigeria is now a huge source of employment & forex which will definitely extend to family members.

Caucasians are also excited & boastful of their trips to other parts of the world. In Fact, such serves as an integral part of their RESUME' when applying for Jobs. But not for Greener Pastures and such can never be said of their relatives who rather assume an oblivious perception of their siblings trips.

118 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by VictorDivine: 5:02am On Sep 18, 2022
The answer is simple. Our country is underdeveloped, hence our sense of pride when we have someone living in a first world country not our third world shithole.

248 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Toratora: 7:00am On Sep 18, 2022
I wonder same too

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by slipperyanus07: 7:39am On Sep 18, 2022
Abroad Na your mate grin grin

146 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 8:04am On Sep 18, 2022
rusher14:
Mtcheeew.
Na you win Grammy award on my thread, you come take am dey hiss, why now?

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 8:08am On Sep 18, 2022
ednut1:
Its a southern Nigerian thing. People in the village pride themselves in having relatives in Lagos, port harcourt, asaba, Abuja etc. most Nigerians see whites as superior hence the phenomenon. If you have worked with whites in Nigeria, they get special treatment and privileges. Also many believe having a relative abroad will make it easy for them to also travel which is usually not the case .Naso he be

Really? Why did you say it's a southern Nigerian thing, don't you think the Northern Nigerians might be the same? Do you have any idea of how they react upon having families abroad? Please your opinion is welcome. Thank you.

19 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by AndroidAI(m): 8:09am On Sep 18, 2022
When they say 'My brother is in Aba', you wouldn't reason it.

But when they replace Aba with Canada, you start feeling somehow.

My brother, you are the problem, not them.

Change your mindset.

471 Likes 39 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 8:17am On Sep 18, 2022
AndroidAI:
When they say 'My brother is in Aba', you wouldn't reason it.

But when they replace Aba with Canada, you start feeling somehow.

My brother, you are the problem, not them.

Change your mindset.

Lol! Thank you for your opinion, but that's not the case, I'm talking of the pride that comes with it, and the inferiority complex that is bestowed upon those who don't have families abroad, or those who refuse to mention having families abroad. At least, nobody sees you less for not having a family in Aba, so it's no mindset. I have families abroad, but I never mentioned it, or look less on others who did not. And I never feel proud. I hope you can understand now. Thank you.

14 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 8:19am On Sep 18, 2022
ednut1:

Really? Why did you say it's a southern Nigerian thing, don't you think the Northern Nigerians might be the same? Do you have any idea of how they react upon having families abroad? Please your opinion is welcome. Thank you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by somehow: 8:30am On Sep 18, 2022
It's a mindset borne out of years of generational lack, financial and mental poverty.

Anywhere abroad is seen as an achievement.

It's simply a mental thing + the conviction that they are inferior and that anything outside Africa is superior to them.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by OboOlora(f): 8:34am On Sep 18, 2022
Siddon there de form envy
U nor know say when dem send 10notes of $100 to them, na Ghana must go u go use pack the naira lol

Let them pride in peace o, Ko easy!

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by AndroidAI(m): 8:54am On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

Lol! Thank you for your opinion, but that's not the case, I'm talking of the pride that comes with it, and the inferiority complex that is bestowed upon those who don't have families abroad, or those who refuse to mention having families abroad. At least, nobody sees you less for not having a family in Aba, so it's no mindset. I have families abroad, but I never mentioned it, or look less on others who did not. And I never feel proud. I hope you can understand now. Thank you.

You are wrong.

You are the one feeling inferior, and that's why it always hits you like pride.

If you can afford to travel the map, you wouldn't feel this way.

Make money. Travel. Enjoy your life!

143 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by shortIGBOman: 8:59am On Sep 18, 2022
ednut1:

In IGBO Land, they pride themselves when they have any of their relatives in Northern Nigeria. They see Northern Nigeria like Canada. grin

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by emmaodet: 9:22am On Sep 18, 2022
MALIGNANTGuest:

Very GOOD QUESTION.
Such Threads should be allowed to soar.
The Truth is, such is basically an African thing and most specially a Negro-African thing.

To a Caucasian, Traveling means leisure.
He travels to explore and learn newer ways of doing things and not to create tornadoes.
But most Nigerians leave the country for GREENER PASTURES and not for exploration.
So, leaving Nigeria is now a huge source of employment & forex which will definitely extend to family members.

Caucasians are also excited & boastful of their trips to other parts of the world. In Fact, such serves as an integral part of their RESUME' when applying for Jobs. But not for Greener Pastures and such can never be said of their relatives who rather assume an oblivious perception of their siblings trips.

It is a pity such is happening here.
My mum also pressured me to travel out with my family but I no gree.
Whenever am home, she will always be updating me about how Dammy (my childhood friend who traveled to US) sent car home to his mother, he has just bought land and developing it blah blah blah.
Anytime she ask me for money and I say I don’t have or complain before giving her a part of it, the next thing is she doesn’t understand why I don’t want to travel. That am I enjoying the kind of life am living here?
She believes if have traveled like Dammy, she won’t be struggling to get good money from me.
She pressured my wife too, likewise her mum to pursued me.
Whenever I get a financial hit from my business, the next thing I hear from my wife and mother is - what are you still doing here in nigeria? Are we not wasting our time? Is it not better we travel? Blah blah blah
If my wife reads a news that fulani herdsmen attacks a village or kidnap someone, the next thing is she is tired of this country and wants to move to a sane country abroad.
Just any small thing, let’s move as if they don’t shoot sporadically too in abroad.
Also, my mum wants that pride of answering her friends …. Oh Emma is is US doing fine when they ask her about Emma.
I just don’t know the thing with Nigerians and abroad especially women.
No be by force to push person for abroad abeg

119 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Nobody: 10:12am On Sep 18, 2022
emmaodet:

It is a pity such is happening here.
My mum also pressured me to travel out with my family but I no gree.
Whenever am home, she will always be updating me about how Dammy (my childhood friend who traveled to US) sent car home to his mother, he has just bought land and developing it blah blah blah.
Anytime she ask me for money and I say I don’t have or complain before giving her a part of it, the next thing is she doesn’t understand why I don’t want to travel. That am I enjoying the kind of life am living here?
She believes if have traveled like Dammy, she won’t be struggling to get good money from me.
She pressured my wife too, likewise her mum to pursued me.
Whenever I get a financial hit from my business, the next thing I hear from my wife and mother is - what are you still doing here in nigeria? Are we not wasting our time? Is it not better we travel? Blah blah blah
If my wife reads a news that fulani herdsmen attacks a village or kidnap someone, the next thing is she is tired of this country and wants to move to a sane country abroad.
Just any small thing, let’s move as if they don’t shoot sporadically too in abroad.
Also, my mum wants that pride of answering her friends …. Oh Emma is is US doing fine when they ask her about Emma.
I just don’t know the thing with Nigerians and abroad especially women.
No be by force to push person for abroad abeg
You are RIGHT!
Such Pressures have led to wrong choices and decisions in Life, that most Children have to continue to suffer even when their parents have left this world. Take it easy Man!

Don't mind those women!
They are naturally insatiable!
For example, you hear Ladies always complaining of not having cloths and shoes to wear to a particular function but when u visit their closet or wardrobe u find cloths & shoes littered everywhere. They can push an unstable man into QUAGMIRE. Take your time and plan!

And if you must leave Nigeria, make sure you choose a far better country than Nigeria. Make sure it's a Christian Nation or a nation with no too much desire for Xtreme Religious activities!

53 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by ednut1(m): 10:18am On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

how many northerners are japaing Just few. They even have boko haram and banditry to use for asylum yet they no dey travel abroad . Thats why i said it’s mostly south, some northerns are proud too of their relatives in arabic countries.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 11:05am On Sep 18, 2022
AndroidAI:

You are wrong.

You are the one feeling inferior, and that's why it always hits you like pride.

If you can afford to travel the map, you wouldn't feel this way.

Make money. Travel. Enjoy your life!

Lol! You're funny bro, and it baffles me how you manage to arrive at your conclusion. Anyway, you're totally wrong in all what you formed. Do you know why? It's because you don't know me. Thank you.

6 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 11:08am On Sep 18, 2022
ednut1:
how many northerners are japaing Just few. They even have boko haram and banditry to use for asylum yet they no dey travel abroad . Thats why i said it’s mostly south, some northerns are proud too of their relatives in arabic countries.

Thanks for sharing this with over two billion people who can access nairaland. I'm indebted to you.

4 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 11:10am On Sep 18, 2022
yungz:
my daughter in italy
lol we already know the parole grin

Lol! You're funny.
Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 11:17am On Sep 18, 2022
somehow:
It's a mindset borne out of years of generational lack, financial and mental poverty.

Anywhere abroad is seen as an achievement.

It's simply a mental thing + the conviction that they are inferior and that anything outside Africa is superior to them.

I love this. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 11:28am On Sep 18, 2022
OboOlora:
Siddon there de form envy
U nor know say when dem send 10times of $100 to them, na Ghana must go u go use pack the naira lol

Let them pride in peace o, Ko easy!

The last time I checked, I found out that people envy the things which they don't have. So I have no reason to envy them for their proud attitudes. And it's not the case of sending money, firstly you should know that nobody sends 1000 dollars home, and if true, then maybe in families with very poor financial situations.
But the point remains that most of these proud people have never received even a bottom dollar from their families abroad. Some have never even spoken to the families abroad, they just know that an uncle is in Canada, a cousin is in Ireland etc. Yet they pride themselves as if they won a gold medal or something.

Most of those who communicate regularly with their families abroad never exhibit such pride. I hope you understand me now? Thank you.

16 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by ednut1(m): 11:31am On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

Thanks for sharing this with over two billion people who can access nairaland. I'm indebted to you.
what brand of weed are you smoking lmao

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Sweetvie: 11:33am On Sep 18, 2022
That's Africa mindset for you.
Lemme tell you if you have girlfriend ehn and she know that your brother or relatives is in abroad she won't leave you lol
They believe there's probability for you to also travel.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 11:35am On Sep 18, 2022
Sweetvie:
That's Africa mindset for you.
Lemme tell you if you have girlfriend ehn and she know that your brother or relatives is in abroad she won't leave you lol
They believe there's probability for you to also travel.

Really? Hmm, that sounds very familiar. Can you tell me more. Thanks bro

5 Likes

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by Sweetvie: 11:47am On Sep 18, 2022
hamouston91:

Really? Hmm, that sounds very familiar. Can you tell me more. Thanks bro
Yeah. Africa mindset. They believe abroad is heaven and when you get there money is waiting for you. Like my friend story... He like this girl coz he thought the girl is responsible, open shop by herself and she is hard working... So they started getting a little closer to each other (no relationship yet or intimacy) until one day his brother called him and his phone was with d girl.. she saw it was international call. To cut it short, my friend told her it was his brother that called that he in usa... Do you know this girl copied the number and message my friend bro... Telling that one she like him, that she want to marry him( after chatting for some days) My friend brother then called his brother that the girl is not someone he can marry and show him all there chat.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Noticed This About Nigerians Who Have Family Members Abroad? by hamouston91(m): 12:05pm On Sep 18, 2022
ednut1:
what brand of weed are you smoking lmao

Calm down bro, what's the matter with you? I was sincerely appreciating you. I swear it was no irony or sarcasm. You have to believe me, I meant to say thanks for sharing this with the whole world. And I'm still greatful for the information which you shared. Thanks once again.

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Man Sleeping On A Moving Truck In Abuja / New Drone That Allows Humans Fly Launched (Photos, Video) / I'm Travelling By Air For The First Time Tomorrow, Pls Advice Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.