Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,385 members, 7,781,105 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 08:58 AM

6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools (1560 Views)

See What Was Found In A Toilet In Abuja / Lagos School Where Pupils Share Classrooms With Animals / Lagos Schools Where Students Sit On The Floor & Under Trees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by aloyemeka2: 9:50pm On Aug 12, 2011
[size=14pt]Fears of epidemic in Lagos State public schools, as 6,000 pupils share toilet[/size]

A major outbreak of epidemic may be in the offing in public schools in Lagos State as findings show that in some cases as many as 6,000 pupils share one toilet. In most schools, pupils defecate carelessly around their school compounds due to either lack of toilet facilities or inadequate latrines, Olunike Asaolu and Motunrayo Aboderin report.

Dirty toilets, broken water systems, faulty stall doors and dearth of toilets have now become a norm in public schools across Lagos State, an indication that the state is still far from reaching the Millennium Development Goal on sanitation.

Goal seven of the MDG is to ensure environmental sustainability. And Target C of the goal is to halve by 2015, the proportion of people without sustainable access to safe drinking water and halve basic sanitation. One of the indicators of this, according to Section 7.8, is the proportion of the population using an improved drinking water source. Section 7.9 deals with the proportion of the population using improved sanitation facilities

Investigations into the state of toilet facilities in public schools by our correspondents show that toilets in government schools are dirty and grossly inadequate. Because of this, near-by bushes around the school areas have been turned to dung dump, a situation experts claim may result in serious epidemic unless it is urgently checked.

Visits to public schools in different local government areas in Lagos including Ikorodu, Ajeromi/Ifelodun and Alimosho show that the pupils do not only lack basic learning facilities but also do not have access to essential amenities that should make life more comfortable for them.

In most of these schools, the toilets were filled up to the extent that there were excreta on the floor, and where the toilets were manageable, there was no water to flush or clean them. Some toilets had been shut and condemned by school authorities.

For instance, at Tolu Complex in Ajegunle, Nkiru Nwachukwu and some of her friends, all pupils of Ojora Memorial Junior Secondary School, Ajegunle, Lagos, were seen outside the school premises, looking for a place to ease themselves, though they had lied to the gatemen that they were going out to buy something to eat.

Nwachukwu, who appeared to be more outspoken of all the pupils told one of our correspondents that it was easier to get out of the compound when they deceive the gatement of their mission. She said, “We don’t go out to buy anything, though this is what we usually tell our gate men. But we are always coming out to look for where to ease ourselves, because our school toilets are bad. Nobody uses them anymore. In fact, they are in a terrible mess, we don’t go near them, and they have been locked. So, we all look for where to urinate or defecate probably in the bush around us here.”

A pupil of the school, Damilola Olagunju, who was reluctant to enter the toilet, said she hardly used the toilet. Everyday, before coming to school, she said she made sure she eased herself to relieve herself of any form of discomfort during school hours.

Asked where she would ease herself, if at all she felt like going to the toilet, Olagunju said, “Then I will just go to a bush or one corner of the school. I don’t ease myself in public, but I have no choice. I just can’t imagine myself using that toilet. I don’t want to catch any funny disease. It’s really not good that we don’t have a clean toilet. I wish something could be done.”

http://news2.onlinenigeria.com/news/top-stories/107219-fears-of-epidemic-in-lagos-state-public-schools-as-6000-pupils-share-toilet.html
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by OmoLisabi(m): 9:56pm On Aug 12, 2011
Misleading Title.
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by djustice: 1:16am On Aug 13, 2011
This is actually closer to the truth, even though it doesn't tell the full story. The reality is a lot worse than this, with a pupil, Lawal Buhari, drowning after falling into a pit latrine (Shalanga) at a primary school in Ketu.

Fashola is a congenital liar, just like his boss, Bola Tinubu.

Both of them, anyone that ever worked for them as Finance, Justice, Education and Works commissioners should ALL be in jail for life, and the key thrown away. Whatever sentence Ibori gets, for instance, in London today, Tinubu deserves the same, because they both stole their state's shares in Econet and laundered the money together.

Everyday for the thief, but one day, one day will be for the owner.
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by aloyemeka2: 2:28am On Aug 13, 2011
djustice:

This is actually closer to the truth, even though it doesn't tell the full story. The reality is a lot worse than this, with a pupil, Lawal Buhari, drowning after falling into a pit latrine (Shalanga) at a primary school in Ketu.

Both of them, anyone that ever worked for them as Finance, Justice, Education and Works commissioners should ALL be in jail for life, and the key thrown away. Whatever sentence Ibori gets, for instance, in London today, Tinubu deserves the same, because they both stole their state's shares in Econet and laundered the money together.

You expect fashola to fix all the problems in 1 day?
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by DisGuy: 5:22am On Aug 13, 2011
Wow I'm surprised the Reporters didnt even bother to interview any of the school administrators/Principal

Don't they have a budget and how much will it really cost to employ one person to keep the school environment or Toilet clean
Where does the Teacher/Principal do his own bizness??
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by Kobojunkie: 5:33am On Aug 13, 2011
Dis Guy:

Wow I'm surprised the Reporters didnt even bother to interview any of the school administrators/Principal

Don't they have a budget and how much will it really cost to employ one person to keep the school environment or Toilet clean
Where does the Teacher/Principal do his own bizness??

You no attend Nigerian school? 

This phenomena is really not new. I just wonder why the sudden outcry -- I mean this has been the norm for a long while now.
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by DisGuy: 6:08am On Aug 13, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You no attend Nigerian school? 

This phenomena is really not new. I just wonder why the sudden outcry -- I mean this has been the norm for a long while now.

I attend o but we had good toilets (3 boys,3? girls) my schools were usually small, We had people washing the toilets regularly
and in secondary even better

Maybe someone will listen or perhaps so people dont get carried away by those that have been fixed and publicised

But I still wonder what the role of the school heads are, just like the roles of the LG, almost everything is handled by the Central?
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by Kobojunkie: 6:46am On Aug 13, 2011
Dis Guy:

I attend o but we had good toilets (3 boys,3? girls) my schools were usually small, We had people washing the toilets regularly
and in secondary even better

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

We have an Ajebo among us ooo . . . . people washed the toilets regularly?? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

ROFLMAO!!!
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by DisGuy: 7:09am On Aug 13, 2011
Ajekpuff kpuff more like

Regularly as in every Evening, They both had other work, But honestly if the Principal is in charge of employment i wonder why they cant have one part time care taker

And in a school with 6000 student if they all contributed N50, the school can easily construct a borehole with a little extra contribution
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by redsun(m): 9:07am On Aug 13, 2011
In schools pupils do the cleaning and the gardening. They exploit and abuse children even at schools in nigeria and the system sees nothing wrong about it,it is a norm.
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by redsun(m): 9:39am On Aug 13, 2011
Average nigerian adults including govt people,school authorities,parents and even medical staffs toilet ethics are too porous for them to realize that children needs descent toileting. Why so many people die in naija day in day out for unexplained reasons,we dont really know,we find it earsier blaming d devil and witches but petit and dangerous unhygienic toilet habits like not watching ur hands after using d toilet-poo poo ing or peeing can kill and spread diseases easily,adults and children alike.
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by redsun(m): 10:03am On Aug 13, 2011
U dont just keep d toilets clean and u dont just wash your hands but disinfect with IZZAL or whatever u got there that can minimizes bacterial. D more oyinbo like our society becomes,d more sensitive we become and d less our immune systems are able to deal with those unseen attackers we have been taking for granted. The evils of mass industrialization,processed eating and pollution are over sensitivity,weakened immune system,cancer and diseases of all sorts. And on that road we are trying to be like oyinbo and oblivious of d consequencies
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by aloyemeka2: 11:41am On Aug 13, 2011
redsun:

Average nigerian adults including govt people,school authorities,parents and even medical staffs toilet ethics are too porous for them to realize that children needs descent toileting. Why so many people die in naija day in day out for unexplained reasons,we dont really know,we find it earsier blaming d devil and witches but petit and dangerous unhygienic toilet habits like not watching your hands after using d toilet-poo poo ing or peeing can kill and spread diseases easily,adults and children alike.

It is a lot better if the schools start teaching the kids first of the advantages of decent loo. Even if Fashola builds a toilet akin to the one at the oval office, it will still end up looking nasty because Nigerians have this culture of messing up public toilets. Even in the universities, students poop on the floor instead of doing it the right way. Will the govt also police how we take care of our business in private?. So, the problem is more cultural/habitual than infrastructural shortfalls.
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by Crownvilla(m): 12:27pm On Aug 13, 2011
@ All

The lack of running water is also a major problem in this equation.

Decent toilets are scarce in Nigeria; be it at airports, local government offices, banks, schools, homes, name it. However, even where decent toilets exist they soon become incubation centres for diseases such as cholera, typhoid and what have you due to the lack of running water. In my experience, most toilets I have encountered in Nigeria are unhygienic eyesores.

I remember going to a local govt office which stank to the high heavens because the limited number of toilets were blocked and couldn't be flushed due to the lack of water.

In 2011 it is a shame that there isn't a single village, town or city in Nigeria that can boast of 24/7 clean, potable, pipe-borne, running water. Not one!!!!!!

As a result, all the normal good toilet etiquette such as flushing, washing your hands after visiting the loo etcetera are difficult to achieve in Nigeria.
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by ifyalways(f): 12:58pm On Aug 13, 2011
redsun:

In schools pupils do the cleaning and the gardening. They exploit and abuse children even at schools in nigeria and the system sees nothing wrong about it,it is a norm.
Public/Govt owned school,YES!

In my days aside the thursday farming and gardening,our teachers even sent us to their homes to do all sorts of dirty jobs for them;washing bitter leaf,clothes,tending their garden etc. angry

@Topic,where are the Principals and heads of those schools?What is the P.T.A. doing?
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by denzel2009: 1:16pm On Aug 13, 2011
There's no point building water cistern / modern toilets in schools in Nigeria cos 1. there's no regular water supply and 2. some people's shiit can clog the WC to the extent that you might need water canon to free the thing.

So, I suggest they build a considerable number of resilient pit latrines.
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by Kobojunkie: 2:32pm On Aug 13, 2011
Dis Guy:

Ajekpuff kpuff more like

Regularly as in every Evening, They both had other work, But honestly if the Principal is in charge of employment i wonder why they cant have one part time care taker

And in a school with 6000 student if they all contributed N50, the school can easily construct a borehole with a little extra contribution

Well, we did have handy men in many of our schools but they also played Gateman, "Gardener", Janitor etc. However, the publics did much of the work . . . cleaning of toilets, weeding, etc. As someone already posted, in so many of the schools, the teachers also used students to get their home chores done.

I no know which PUBLIC school you go but even up till university, students still had to take care of their cleaning needs., and believe you me . . . those toilets are the worst. Imagine all the crap on walls, and all over the floors . , . many of our people lack common home training. angry angry angry angry
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 13, 2011
djustice:

[b]
[/b]

Arent toilets supposed to be things handled by local administrators e.g the schools themselves or even local councils? Why insult a state government for something as basic as a toilet? Nigerians and their emotional outbursts. They would also blame state governments for lack of road in front of their homes. What happened to your Local Government? Why not blame them?
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by Kobojunkie: 3:19pm On Aug 13, 2011
^^^ Technically, when it comes to Public schools in Nigeria, the Government handles much of the work, even renovation etc. Yes, there are school principles and what nots but their job does not hand them right to IMPROVE the schools as they see fit. Many of them have to get approval from the government and even then, that is not guaranteed.

Many of the private schools in the early years were opened by former Principals who were frustrated by the system in that way.
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by musiwa48: 3:30pm On Aug 13, 2011
I never went to tolu school complex, but I know where you are talking about.  there are other complex too in surulere, agege etc.
Look it is sad the way lagos school are in a sorry state.  Look I went back  to my school and I was sorry for the student.
when i went to school.   public school in lagos had become better than private school when I was going to school. I had to change from a private school to a public school. but now the public school are in sure a sorry state.

As a Yorubaman , I will never cast my vote for Tinubu in my life time over lagos school. I will rather prefer my vote for go to North sudan president. this is how bad lagos state school was under tinubu.

[img]http://aderinola.files./2011/04/structure-2.jpg[/img]
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by tpia5: 4:45pm On Aug 13, 2011
Djustice

plz read through dis guy's contributions on this thread to see if you can learn how to make sensible posts.

you sound d.aft.
Re: 6000 Pupils Share Toilet In Lagos Schools by djustice: 12:06am On Aug 14, 2011
tpia@:

Djustice

plz read through dis guy's contributions on this thread to see if you can learn how to make sensible posts.

you sound d.aft.

Tpia, Please read through my contribution and see if you can correct your comprehension deficit, and control the insatiable urge your fingers have to just type anything.

You come across like a brain-dead numbskull. Actually, that's an insult to brain-dead numbskulls.

(1) (Reply)

Removal Of Fuel Subsidy To Cause Masse Crises / Misplaced Priority: IGP Introduced Military Camouflage As New Police Uniform / Ifeanyi Uba Gaining Massive Support In Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.