Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,886 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! (2705 Views)

Please I Need Your Advice ,am So Confused. / Help!!! Am So Confused And Frustrated Right Now / So Confused About My Relationship - My Boyfriend Beats Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by BABE3: 10:45pm On Aug 13, 2011
Why must there be two types of wedding: Traditional and Church --?

The funny part is that the Church/white wedding is driven from another culture--and surprisingly, it's given so much emphasis than OUR OWN TRADITIONAL WEDDING!

Why can't there be a Priest/Pastor/Imam at the traditional wedding to join the couple and close the deal IN ONE DAY?

Why the waste of money? Why the Efizy? Why do we get married twice?  undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by 195(f): 10:47pm On Aug 13, 2011
Moderators kindly take this topic to auto mobile section
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by Goldieluks: 10:48pm On Aug 13, 2011
grin grin grin^^

@OP,brb with my response.
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by pendo89(f): 10:51pm On Aug 13, 2011
I am learning a lot here. You mean to say that in nigeria people conduct 2 weddings before they are considered man and wife?
What about dowry negotiations? are they done before the traditional wedding or are they part of the traditional wedding?
What happens if you skip the traditional wedding then pay dowry and proceed with the white/church wedding or better still settle for the traditional one once and for all?
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by lindabon: 10:59pm On Aug 13, 2011
i have wondered about this too.
i've always thought that its a bit wasteful  undecided
but then, when you don't follow the crowd, people might start thinking that you're either broke or downright stinky.
so . . . .
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by 195(f): 11:03pm On Aug 13, 2011
^hey cricket face - why aint you sleeping cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by Ladyjide(f): 11:05pm On Aug 13, 2011
190_@:

Moderators kindly take this topic to auto mobile section
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by tpia5: 11:06pm On Aug 13, 2011
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by Mynd44: 11:07pm On Aug 13, 2011
Wrong section!!!!!!!
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by 195(f): 11:07pm On Aug 13, 2011
tpia@:

the traditional wedding is for the two families, or communities, while the church wedding is for the couple themselves and members of their denomination.

traditional wedding is also called engagement party. It's where the brideprice, traditional requirements etc, are presented.

and it fulfils the cultural requirements of african, or maybe nigerian, weddings.

Tpia can we do Juju marriage cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by pendo89(f): 11:13pm On Aug 13, 2011
tpia@:

the traditional wedding is for the two families, or communities, while the church wedding is for the couple themselves and members of their denomination.

traditional wedding is also called engagement party. It's where the brideprice, traditional requirements etc, are presented.

and it fulfils the cultural requirements of african, or maybe nigerian, weddings.

Thank you Tpia
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by rose75(f): 11:15pm On Aug 13, 2011
Babe,You omitted the court wedding.

I guess it'll also be great to take the court to church and church to shrine inorder to seal the deal IN ONE DAY?. grin

Nobody's confused. You're not compelled to do anything against your will/ means. You may choose to pay dowry (which is the basis of trad. marriage) quietly and proceed to either of church or court wedding or both. The choice is yours.
You can as well do only the trad., but don't come crying to NL for advice on legal action when your hussy abandones you oo.
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by Nobody: 11:15pm On Aug 13, 2011
BABE!:

Why must there be two types of wedding: Traditional and Church --?

The funny part is that the Church/white wedding is driven from another culture--and surprisingly, it's given so much emphasis than OUR OWN TRADITIONAL WEDDING!

Why can't there be a Priest/Pastor/Imam at the traditional wedding to join the couple and close the deal IN ONE DAY?

Why the waste of money? Why the Efizy? Why do we get married twice?  undecided

On Point! BABY! grin I commented earlier on another thread that what we call WHITE WEDDING is actually the TRADITIONAL WEDDING of westerners! It's their Culture for as long as i can remember! We have ours! I see it as a waste of money sha and a SHOWY DISPLAY of wealth by AFRICANS especially NIGERIANS to indulge in both kind of MARRIAGES! You marry the same person TWICE? undecided
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by BABE3: 11:17pm On Aug 13, 2011
pendo89:

I am learning a lot here. You mean to say that in nigeria people conduct 2 weddings before they are considered man and wife?

Yes o. We do. TWO SOLID weddings. Actually I can almost say it's THREE. Because, there's typically a thanksgiving ceremony a day after the white wedding. The thanksgiving is like another wedding on it's own.  
Actually there's FOUR  grin---there's a ceremony thay call "The Introduction". That's before the traditional wedding.

pendo89:

What about dowry negotiations? are they done before the traditional wedding or are they part of the traditional wedding?

LOL--- I always pity a typical  Nigerian Groom and his family. Before the Traditional wedding, they would have visited the bride's family like 50 times (I'm exaggerating)--and they typically would take something "Dowry-ish" along with them to give the bride's family. But that doesn't stop them from bringing YAMS, GOATS, SHEEP, 190s, BAGS OF RICE, CARS( grin ), CASH MONEY with them for the main TRADTIONAL wedding.

pendo89:

What happens if you skip the traditional wedding then pay dowry and proceed with the white/church wedding or better still settle for the traditional one once and for all?

NOTHING O--Nothing happens. We are just too wasteful and confused.
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by pendo89(f): 11:49pm On Aug 13, 2011
BABE!:

Yes o. We do. TWO SOLID weddings. Actually I can almost say it's THREE. Because, there's typically a thanksgiving ceremony a day after the white wedding. The thanksgiving is like another wedding on it's own.  
Actually there's FOUR  grin---there's a ceremony thay call "The Introduction". That's before the traditional wedding.

LOL--- I always pity a typical  Nigerian Groom and his family. Before the Traditional wedding, they would have visited the bride's family like 50 times (I'm exaggerating)--and they typically would take something "Dowry-ish" along with them to give the bride's family. But that doesn't stop them from bringing YAM, GOATS, SHEEPS, 190s, BAGS OF RICE, CARS( grin ), CASH MONEY with them for the main TRADTIONAL wedding.

NOTHING O--Nothing happens. We are just too wasteful and confused.

Wow am shocked .That why the likes of 190 have disappeared from nigeria.

But seriously.
Okay lemmie briefly tell you how simplified ours is.
Theres only 3 types of wedding.You only choose one. Traditional/Church wedding/Attorney General's Chambers.
But not all the 3 together! I mean its illegal.

What you refer to as Traditional wedding is simply dowry negotiations or meet the inlaws.
That takes a maximum of 3 trips if you have stubborn inlaws but normally one visit is enough.

Once the inlaws have given you their daughters hand then its up to you to proceed and do the church wedding which is more valued.It seals what was discussed in the dowry negotiations.In short you were only given the right to wed their daughter when you went for negotiations.You have not yet tied the knot!

People value the wedding certificate and this is issued when you do the church wedding or the AGs chambers.
Not during dowry/meet the inlaws negotiations.
A strictly traditional wedding also brings headache when people separate/divorce because the laws governing the traditional differ from a church wedding. All those are factored and the white takes the votes.
Traditional weddings are almost extinct and telling anybody you are traditionally married raises eyebrows.
You sound like you came from history!

In summary you can have one type of wedding not a 4 packaged one.
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by BABE3: 11:54pm On Aug 13, 2011
sexkillz:

It's their Culture for as long as i can remember! We have ours! I see it as a waste of money sha and a SHOWY DISPLAY of wealth by AFRICANS especially NIGERIANS to indulge in both kind of MARRIAGES! You marry the same person TWICE? undecided

Yh---the thing is if it's left to me (and only me) to decide on the kind of wedding I want have(If I ever get married), It's definitely gonna be the TRADITIONAL wedding---Kapish.

But, I know it's not possible. My mother and her crew will kill me. grin If I tell her I want only a Trad. wedding, she'll start giving me her "America has influenced you negatively" talks. grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by BABE3: 12:01am On Aug 14, 2011
pendo89:

Wow am shocked .That why the likes of 190 have disappeared from nigeria.

Ha. 190? That dude is a lost Sheep. He's still going to marry a Nigerian whether he likes it or not. All he has is mouth.  grin  Ile l'abo isinmi oko.

Wow! That's so NEAT! I thought it was all African Countries that had the "20 weddings" mentality. Good to know that some Africans actually know what they're doing. Where are you from?
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by pendo89(f): 12:17am On Aug 14, 2011
We have 43 tribes each having their own culture/traditions.
Infact the traditional rituals are becoming extinct, and the current crop of 'old people' prefer things to be done the modern/church way. Nobody wants trucks of goats and cows anymore.
What if you have no grass to feed them!  grin
The groom converts goats into cash and give the gals parents when they go for negotiations.
Everybody wants everything simplified for the future couple.

I know a case where the negotiations took place online and the groom wired dowry cz of distance.
They were given the go ahead and the marriage was conducted and watched by parents on skype!!
grin
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by deniyor: 12:50am On Aug 14, 2011
And another opens her mouth to criticize the marital system in Nigeria probably cos she is somewhere in the  western world.
It's not a must to have two weddings. If you want, you can have only the church one, its your call but don't go criticizing people who are just happy to celebrate their union.

If you are complaining about people who do two or three marriage ( 2-3 days) celebrabrations, what would you say about some indians and some parts of Asia where the marriage ceremony lasts 7 days?

Do as you want or please but don't look down at others who do as they wish. You are the one who is confused on who you are.
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by MrsChima(f): 12:59am On Aug 14, 2011
And the plot thickens.
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by BABE3: 1:34am On Aug 14, 2011
@ MR.Deniyor

But why? Why are you trying so hard to sound "dumb"?

Can't you just disagree (make your point) with me without incorporating nonsense in your post?

All those questions are rhetorical btw.
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by Odunnu: 1:44am On Aug 14, 2011
The church wedding in Nigeria has never been taken as 'more important'.
A marriage is seen as legal if the traditional is done, u sure can forget about the 'church'. Just like tpia said, the trado is for the family and the church for the couple. I'v seen a good number of people who society has acceptd as legally married who only had the trad. wedding.
These days sef, folks try to cut cost by doing the trad and court just so people in the town/city would accpt them.
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by deniyor: 1:46am On Aug 14, 2011
BABE!:

@ MR.Deniyor

But why? Why are you trying so hard to sound "dumb"?

Can't you just disagree (make your point) with me without incorporating nonsense in your post?

All those questions are rhetorical btw.

I made my point but I guess you are too confused to see it. People like you come here spewing nonsense about the culture in Nigeria. Did anyone force you to do anything? Call me dumb, or whatever you want, but its the truth.
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by BABE3: 2:01am On Aug 14, 2011
@ Oga deniyor

first of all, I didn't call you dumb. Don't throw me the Pity card.

Secondly, I never said you didn't make your point. You made your point, but like I said you couldn't help but accompany your point with several "nonsense statements".

Lol @ people like me. Dude go sit down. Go and yansh your bench.
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by deniyor: 2:06am On Aug 14, 2011
Babe,
lots of folks come here and start bashing naija men, women and customs. Mostly by naija folks who have gone abroad and feel everything foreign is better than what we have. It gets to a point that is annoying. Your post rubbed off on me the wrong way. I apologise if I went overboard. Truce?
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by Lax75(m): 2:13am On Aug 14, 2011
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by MrsChima(f): 2:18am On Aug 14, 2011
Just for the record, not everybody gives a Bleep. Just saying. ^^^^

You can have ten weddings it is coming out of YOUR expenses. And the folks that does have something to say about it have their right to express how they feel.

The world will still turn.
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by BABE3: 2:21am On Aug 14, 2011
@ odunnu--

People don't consider a marriage without the trad. Ceremony legal? That's interesting. It's not a true assertion though.

I believe more emphasis is laid on the "saturday wedding". I'm sure if they conduct a survey on the number of people that attend "the saturday wedding" vs. the number of people that attend "the friday wedding", the former will be a lot more. Why? Because of the importance attached to it.

Why can't the importance( I.e, the presence of a man of God and marriage certificate) be attached to the trad. Ceremony instead?
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by Lax75(m): 2:22am On Aug 14, 2011
Some cultures won't even acknowledge the marriage until the traditional wedding is done.
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by tpia5: 2:32am On Aug 14, 2011
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by BABE3: 2:34am On Aug 14, 2011
@ deniyor.

Now, I feel like a jerk! TRUCE + **group hug** smiley
Re: Why Are Nigerians/Africans So Confused?! by tpia5: 2:37am On Aug 14, 2011

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

At What Point Does She Check Your Phone / Why Are Concubines And Side Chics More Romantic Than Wives And Main Chics? / Photo: She Needs Advice On Who To Marry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.