Stats: 3,148,673 members, 7,801,942 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:34 AM

Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society (4660 Views)

JAMB Has Embarrassed Education Minister, Adamu - Official / Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable / 5 Type Of Food That Nigerian Student Eat More (2) (3) (4)

Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by superior1: 8:25am On Aug 16, 2011
Nigerian graduates are a burden to the society - Minister

THE Minister of Education, Professor Ruqayyatu Rufa’i, on Monday, said the focus of the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan would be on how to produce quality graduates from the nation’s tertiary institutions that are not only employable but self-reliant.

She decried the current situation where graduates from tertiary institutions in Nigeria became burdens to the society because of lack of basic entrepreneurial skills to be self-reliance in the face of acute unemployment problem.

The minister spoke in Abuja, when she received members of the Council of Nigerian Women in Diaspora, led by its president, Mrs Ngozi Nwankwo, on a visit.

She said to address this problem, the Federal Government had incorporated entrepreneurship education at all levels of education in Nigeria.

She added that this was adequately highlighted in the four-year education strategy being developed by her ministry in line with the President Jonathan’s transformation agenda.

The minister said, “Our focus is that in the next few years, we will be graduating students the will no longer be a burden to the society.”

While commending the members of the council for choosing the Ministry of Education as the first area of intervention, Rufa’i, said she was willing to partner with them in order to move the sector forward.

Earlier, the leader of the delegation, Mrs Nwankwo, told the Minister that the members were in the ministry to know which areas of possible intervention to make meaningful impact.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/26696-nigerian-graduates-are-a-burden-to-the-society-minister
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Mcleo007(m): 9:00am On Aug 16, 2011
Silly woman!
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by kodewrita(m): 9:50am On Aug 16, 2011
Point of Correction: Nigerian Political Appointees (with their consumption of 75% of recurrent expenditure) are a burden to the society.
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by obowunmi(m): 10:01am On Aug 16, 2011
This woman is a slowpoke. Jobless graduates are not entrepreneurial enough that her excuse ? The blame game never ends in Nigeria.
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by superior1: 10:35am On Aug 16, 2011
It is only in countries like Nigeria, do graduates become headache
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 16, 2011
This Woman is really Wise. I guess her children have the necessary entrepreneurial skills, so they won't bother lobbying for top jobs in government agencies and parastatals.
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by cpatra(f): 6:47pm On Aug 16, 2011
Thunder fire your mouth! Yeye woman. Itibolibo
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Sunofgod(m): 6:56pm On Aug 16, 2011
She has a point - there are so many useless graduates in Nigeria.

But they are a product of our useless educational system.

The same Govt that refers to them as a burden helped created them - so the Govt needs to take responsibility.

Many wouldn't have obtained degree's from a foreign institution because their standards of education are a lot higher.

Maybe Nigeria needs to re-introduce polytechnics?
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Kobojunkie: 7:15pm On Aug 16, 2011
superior1:

She decried the current situation where graduates from tertiary institutions in Nigeria became burdens to the society because of lack of basic entrepreneurial skills to be self-reliance in the face of acute unemployment problem.
WOW . . Is this insult meant for the Schools themselves or our dear students who we send there to gain entrepreneurial and analytic skills?
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by okadaman2: 7:30pm On Aug 16, 2011
What is this woman's address? I want to return my degree. I don't want to be a Nigerian graduate again.

I started driving Okada because there are no jobs. Now the degree I normally do yanga with among my Okada friends has been declared useless embarassed

Madam Education, abeg come and take ya paper I nor want again.
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by LFJ: 7:55pm On Aug 16, 2011
Yes, Nigerian Graduates are burden to the society the same way the minister is a burden to our resources. Shameless people, if you don’t have solution to our problem why not just keep your mouth close, millions of our graduates are roaming the street because our system cannot provide them job and the minister is saying rubbish
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Afam4eva(m): 8:35pm On Aug 16, 2011
The woman has a point. Nigerian graduate are not really self-reliant. They attend universities so that they can get a job at the end. And if they fail to get a job at the end it seems like their lives are over.I think we need to create more technical schools.
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Rgp92: 9:08pm On Aug 16, 2011
She's right! Most of the Nigerian graduates are useless, fucking useless. Not creative at all and cant do shit without the government.
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by LFJ: 9:10pm On Aug 16, 2011
afam4eva:

The woman has a point. Nigerian graduate are not really self-reliant. They attend universities so that they can get a job at the end. And if they fail to get a job at the end it seems like their lives are over.I think we need to create more technical schools.

Mr. Afam, please, the woman don’t have a point, they should bury their head in shame. They are failure, how do you want Nigerian graduates to be self-reliant under our present condition? That has always been the initial motive; leave school, get job, gain experience and decide what next. Rome was not built in a day; what do will give them to make them self-reliant? Instead of the leaders to accept the fact that they have failed the present generation, they continue to push blame on innocent unemployed graduates who struggle to go to school and at the end of the day no job.

I doubt if more technical schools can solve our problem, what has been the benefit from those one we have before? It is not the responsibility of the government to provide job for everybody, but it is the responsibility of the government to provide those basic things that encourage both local and international investors.
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 16, 2011
i call this a bitter truth,

Earlier, the leader of the delegation, Mrs Nwankwo, told the Minister that the members were in the ministry to know which areas of possible intervention to make meaningful impact.

she didnt reply to this
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Rgp92: 9:16pm On Aug 16, 2011
LFJ:

Mr. Afam, please, the woman don’t have a point, they should bury their head in shame. They are failure, how do you want Nigerian graduates to be self-reliant under our present condition? That has always been the initial motive; leave school, get job, gain experience and decide what next. Rome was not built in a day; what do will give them to make them self-reliant? Instead of the leaders to accept the fact that they have failed the present generation, they continue to push blame on innocent unemployed graduates who struggle to go to school and at the end of the day no job.

I doubt if more technical schools can solve our problem, what has been the benefit from those one we have before? It is not the responsibility of the government to provide job for everybody, but it is the responsibility of the government to provide those basic things that encourage both local and international investors.

The earlier you nigerians accept the fact that university dont guarante you job, the better.
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by adros84(m): 9:19pm On Aug 16, 2011
Let government put necessary amenities (Electricity, good roads) in place and reduce corruption in high places and see if these so-called unemployable graduates will not take care of themselves
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 16, 2011
Government that cant access or give electricity despite the wind,the waste,the sun,the water.How do you except people to enagage in production,Railway systems,double taxation,insecurity,theiving govt officials bending the rules to favor them selves.Recurrent to so high,importing more than we export and creating jobs in other lands are bad government policies,Nigeriaairways,Nigeria shipping lines all dead.
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Rgp92: 9:24pm On Aug 16, 2011
olas2u:

Government that cant access or give electricity despite the wind,the waste,the sun,the water.How do you except people to enagage in production,Railway systems,double taxation,insecurity,theiving govt officials bending the rules to favor them selves.Recurrent to so high,importing more than we export and creating jobs in other lands are bad government policies,Nigeriaairways,Nigeria shipping lines all dead.
adros84:

Let government put necessary amenities (Electricity, good roads) in place and reduce corruption in high places and see if these so-called unemployable graduates will not take care of themselves

Why must the government do it? Why cant a smart nigerian do it?
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by secretaryabdul(m): 9:27pm On Aug 16, 2011
Entrepreneul skills we pray that all ur childrens be carpenters or vulcanizers.
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by AjanleKoko: 9:31pm On Aug 16, 2011
Some dumb political appointee making another garri and pepper soup statement embarassed

These thieving scum and their hardened hearts sha angry
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by LFJ: 9:35pm On Aug 16, 2011
Rgp92:

The earlier you nigerians accept the fact that university dont guarante you job, the better.

This is not Nigeria stuff, don't make us look stupid, if University doesn’t guarantee you job what then guarantee you job. Not everybody will become a biz owner. Why do you think government all over the world keep record of unemployment?
Let us blame the right people, our leaders are failure simple as ABC

Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Nobody: 9:44pm On Aug 16, 2011
They are a burden because they are uneducated! Cramming and regurgitating is not learning! I am very critical of Nigeria's tertiary institution because i started there and i know what i saw. I can understand cramming and whatever in secondary school, but when our institutions don't even have code of conducts pertaining to Academics. Its a shame really! We have our priorities messed up in Nigeria. What is wrong with the government having at least ONE state of the art institution (World class) like a National University of Tech for example?? With all the oil money, all our leaders can do is continue to loot and loot and the cycle continues until there is no more Nigeria!
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Rgp92: 9:44pm On Aug 16, 2011
LFJ:

This is not Nigeria stuff, don't make us look silly, if University doesn’t guarantee you job what then guarantee you job. Not everybody will become a biz owner. Why do you think government all over the world keep record of unemployment?
Let us blame the right people, our leaders are failure simple as ABC

No, stop blaming the politicians for YOUR faliure.
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by LFJ: 9:45pm On Aug 16, 2011
Rgp92:

Who are the smart Nigerians? I guess u know them, they are in Abuja sharing our national wealth. No, it is not our responsibility to provide electricity or road, it is the government responsibility. our responsibility is to pay my tax and be a law abiding citizen
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Rgp92: 9:46pm On Aug 16, 2011
engineerd:

They are a burden because they are uneducated! Cramming and regurgitating is not learning! I am very critical of Nigeria's tertiary institution because i started there and i know what i saw. I can understand cramming and whatever in secondary school, but when our institutions don't even have code of conducts pertaining to Academics. Its a shame really! We have our priorities messed up in Nigeria. What is wrong with the government having at least ONE state of the art institution (World class) like a National University of Tech for example?? With all the oil money, all our leaders can do is continue to loot and loot and the cycle continues until there is no more Nigeria!

Seconded. Nigerians graduates are not creatives at all, useless as fvck
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Rgp92: 9:51pm On Aug 16, 2011
LFJ:

Who are the smart Nigerians? I guess u know them, they are in Abuja sharing our national wealth. No, it is not our responsibility to provide electricity or road, it is the government responsibility. our responsibility is to pay my tax and be a law abiding citizen

You responsibility is to pay tax and law abiding? You crazy dude? Damn Nigerians are lazy. No wonder it is hard for the gorvernment to do something, when most of nigeria citizens are lazy bastards. angry angry
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by LFJ: 9:53pm On Aug 16, 2011
Rgp92:

No, stop blaming the politicians for YOUR faliure.

Thank God, I am not a failure, if you are happy that our government are chasing shadow instead of providing enabling environment to make all succeed; am not, because I want every Nigerians to enjoy our collective wealth
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by LFJ: 9:59pm On Aug 16, 2011
Rgp92:

You responsibility is to pay tax and law abiding? You crazy dude? Damn Nigerians are lazy. No wonder it is hard for the gorvernment to do something, when most of nigeria citizens are lazy bastards. angry angry

I am sure u know who is crazy and lazy btw us. when ur mind is weak u become lazy to say the truth and point to the right direction and that is ur problem.

If Nigerians are lazy, u will not be hearing how they are struggling and making it even outside their country. Be real, life is not about you or me.
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Nobody: 10:05pm On Aug 16, 2011
Rgp92:

are you for real?
what then is the job of the government if not to reduce corruption, fix and maintain infrastructures such as electricity and good roads.
if you don't havd anything meaningful to contribute, why not just go through the thread?
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Rgp92: 10:05pm On Aug 16, 2011
LFJ:

I am sure u know who is crazy and lazy btw us. when your mind is weak u become lazy to say the truth and point to the right direction and that is your problem.

If Nigerians are lazy, u will not be hearing how they are struggling and making it even outside their country. Be real, life is not about you or me.

Nigerians both outside and inside are lazy. What have they done for Nigeria ? Nothing, they keep blaming the government. what a group of losers
Re: Education Minister Implies That Nigerian Graduates Are A Burden To The Society by Nobody: 10:13pm On Aug 16, 2011
OUR LEADERS ARE JUST PLAIN BASTARDS. THEY OWE THE NIGERIAN CITIZENS AT LEAST SOME MINIMUM LEVEL OF INFRASTRUCTURE! OUR HIGHER EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM IS CRAP AS HELL! THATS WHY I LAUGH WHEN I SEE PEOPLE FIGHTING OVER RANKING IN SCHOOLS IN NIGERIA! A 2 YEAR COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY IN THE US WILL BEAT HANDS DOWN ANY NIGERIAN UNIVERSITY! SO WHAT IS THE POINT OF HAVING A GOVERNMENT U GO TO A CHEMISTRY OR PHYSICS LAB SESSION IN UNILAG AND YOU WILL THINK YOU ARE IN A MARKET PLACE, PEOPLE CLIMBING ON TABLES DOING SO CALLED "EXPERIMENTS". ITS JUST DESPICABLE AND IT HURTS!

Old Nigerian Women Rock Their Former School Uniform For Reunion Outing. Photos / Withheld/concealed/incomplete Jamb Results To Drop Complaint Here For Solution / Pls, Enlighten Me On School Of Nursing