Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,879 members, 7,802,840 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:00 PM

Make A Living With Piggery Business - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Make A Living With Piggery Business (44972 Views)

Piggery House Construction Design Details / 1 / Which Is Profitable Between Poultry And Piggery Farming? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 4:54pm On Aug 16, 2011
This is not a technical article, am not an animal scientist nor vet doc so its just my rant based on personal experience. Also its not based on the typical rubbish dump pigs you’re probably used to, its based on Pigs kept in concrete pens for commercial purposes.

Investing in piggery is a good and stress-free business as female Pigs conceive twice in a year and can produce as much as 12piglets each time.

A piglet is sold between 3000-3500 Naira, while mature Pigs are sold based on their live weight(kg) multiplied by the going rate per kilo. Currently this is 230 Naira per kilo. Within a year you can have your pig weigh as much as 100kg if you feed it well.

Advantages over Fishery and Poultry.

Lower mortality rate- Pigs are not as fragile, they can still cope with some delays in feeding and water.
Cheaper cost of feeding- Pigs can be fed with a wide variety of products, like humans they are omnivores. Pig feed also costs lesser per kilo compared to Chicken and Fish feed.
Security- because most people have prejudiced opinions towards pigs they don’t even come close to them, hence the thought of theft doesn’t cross their mind. Some see pigs as a taboo.
Also pigs are highly uncooperative animals to handle, they don’t necessarily move in herds .
Diseases- pigs are less susceptible to diseases unlike poultry. Pigs don’t require any special vaccines. All they need is occasional vitamin supplement, de-worming and anti-bacterial treatments.
Easy on the pocket- if you’re very resourceful you can feed a pig with 50 Naira a day by collecting roughages(cassava peels, corn chaff)  in your neighbourhood. U can't dare that with layers or fishes. Also you can easily source brewery waste and palm kernel cake cake for them
More Profitable- In piggery, when selling a kilogram  is a kilogram whether the animal is Big or Small;whereas in fishery the fishes are sold at different weights per kilogram.
Facility conversion Incase you get tired of farming you can easily convert the pens to offices or accommodation. The designs are relevant. i doubt you can easily achieve that in poultry and fishery

2 Likes

Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by member67023: 7:09am On Sep 18, 2011
Nice Info.

2 Likes

Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by madampresident(f): 9:10am On Sep 18, 2011
u re corect bt sourcing feed esp wastes from market cen predispose to ASF a pig killer virus.piggery is gud biz wt high returns.

2 Likes

Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 12:56am On Feb 14, 2012
Piggery is a safe business you can make millions from yearly. A lot of people are quietly reaping huge returns from it.
Learn more about piggery here: http://no1pigfan.
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 1:22am On Feb 16, 2012
[center]Reasons to invest in Piggery[/center]

In Nigeria Piggery is one of the very few profitable business ventures you don’t have to babysit, it allows you to have a life and career elsewhere. It is very lucrative because once you  sow in it your stock continues to expand forever unlike fishery and poultry where u need to restock after every session.
• Pigs are capable of reproducing at least twice in a year. A female can produce between 18-30 piglets in a year. They are fast growers within 6months they attain good weights and you can make your first sale.
• The startup cost is low and profit margin impressive. Piglets cost as little as 3000 Naira(BIS and DSTV money!!!) and a grown pig can sell for as much as 45000 Naira depending on the weight and breed.
• Piggery doesn’t suffer from glut, because currently demand far exceeds supply. Buyers are available from the South-south, South-west and West African countries. Benue and Egun people love pork in their diet
• Feeding is flexible and relates with your pocket. Pigs can eat almost anything as long as its fresh.
• Pigs are sold based on their weight, so what you put in is what you get out.
• Security is a reduced concern because people hardly steal pigs due to their noise and social reasons.
• Land(you can rent or buy) is still cheap and labor even more affordable , Now is the time to invest wisely and strategically!

Learn and share more info at : http://no1pigfan.

2 Likes

Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 12:06am On Feb 23, 2012
[center]Piggery Management Tips[/center]

• The best time of the day to monitor your pigs is in the morning before cleaning and feeding. This is vital for two reason; you get to see the state of their stool(in case of diarrhoea) and which animal is disinterested in its meals. A healthy pig is always interested in the first meal of the day.
• A sick pig is hardly interested in its food, lies down most of the time, rarely grunts, staggers, looks pale and depressed.

more tips at:  http://no1pigfan./

2 Likes

Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 10:06am On Mar 01, 2012
[center]Starting Small[/center]
Piggery is a pocket friendly business you needn’t a warchest or be a millionaire before venturing into this noble enterprise. You can start small and within 6 months start smiling, here are some tips on how to start small,

[list]
[li]You don’t need to spend millions on infrastructure you can rent an existing farm at a very cheap rate.[/li]
[li]Ensure the facility has clean water and a waste management system(pit).[/li]
[/list]

more tips at:  http://no1pigfan./
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by ayodele123(m): 9:37am On Mar 07, 2012
@femu
i have visited your site and have posted a comment
i am really interested in the business especially the training aspect before setting up
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by fm7070: 11:07am On Mar 07, 2012
All these ridiculous canvassing disgust me a lot.
Why not tell people a simple truth?
How on earth do you want to feed pig with 3000 naira? Its impossible. Note that, it's how well you feed them that will determine how well they grow.
Also, consider the marketing aspect of it. Its not everybody that likes pork meat. As such, you cannot reply on it 100%
I am not concluding that piggery is a bad business, but the truth has to be told they way it is. not cavassing people.
Pig's faeces smell like mad. you can't rear them where people lives. It has to be far from people.
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by ayodele123(m): 11:45am On Mar 07, 2012
@fm7070
The poster did not say that a pig can be fed with N3000.00 He said that a piglet costs N3000 to N3500 and this is actually true.
The price per kilo is also correct at N230.00 but that a pig can be sold for as high as N45k is what i doubt. N25k sales and a weight of 100kg is realisable within a year.
Actually piggery is smelling business but there is money in it if you can put in the effort.
I know because Okearo Pig Farm is in my neighbourhood and it is one of the largest piggeries in Africa, in fact the largest and has thousands of farmers who are mostly individuals
Buyers come from across West Africa on weekly basis with lorries to buy pigs, so the market is there despite the taboos associated with the business. Many of my neighbors have pens there and they are in money from this smelling business.
Nevertheless, it has its own risks and troubles too as in any other business.Its not smooth sailing all the way as some project.

4 Likes

Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 3:42pm On Mar 07, 2012
This is not canvassing!
Piggery is very profitable especially for the same reasons you don't like them, infact we don't want crowd so they don't create glut for us.
Am a practical farmer and also a software developer so i know what am talking about.
Pigs smell only if your cleaning is deplorable and you keep them in high concentrations.
If you keep 100 humans in a flat and don't clean thoroughly how do you think the place will be.
My facility is cleaned daily with disinfectants and fresh water.
Current price per kilo at my axis is 300-280naira live weight, at okearo it might be cheaper for obvious reasons,
You can easily achieve 45k with an old boar or a sow at 150-160kg per kilo.
Even obasanjo sells his highbreed weaners(2months) at 30,000 Naira, so wetin we dey talk.
A lot of families rely on it 100%, you have to practice before you criticize. ASF is the only issue like we all know.
Buyers are not an issue as you will struggle to meet their demand grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 3:48pm On Mar 07, 2012
[center]More Tips[/center]
[list]
[li]Avoid inbreeding
[/li]
[li]including Garlic in their feed helps against parasites[/li]
[li]You can always convert your facility to a flat incase you get tired of piggery. The designs are relevant.[/li]
[/list]

more at: http://no1pigfan.
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by Nobody: 12:44am On Mar 08, 2012
Educative thread but Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ misleading potential investors by making them believe running a piggery Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ easy, ☺ƞ Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ contrary, its one of Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ hardest animal husbandry practised in Nigeria. Pigs need expensive shelter built with block and floored with cement, they stink a lot and have feces very similar to human. Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ other points provided by Ÿ̲̣̣̣̥ø̲̣̣̥u̶̲̥̅̊ aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ correct but please do not compare with fishery cos its way more capital and labour intensive than fishery. Pork Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇ Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ least demanded of common table meat in Nigeria and Τ̲̅ђε̲̣̣̣̥ market Iƨ̣̣̣̇̇̇. Quite narrow in places with high Muslim population density. Hotels do not cook with it, neither do joints as compared to mutton, chevron and beef. This disadvantage though could be good as farmers aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ quite rare and a venturing enterpreneur could end up servicing a large area of domestic consumers and little road side commercial vendors.

1 Like

Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 12:10pm On Mar 08, 2012
@blink182
Have you operated a piggery before? I happen to have operated a poultry and run a fishery concurrently with my piggery, so am well informed practically not theoretically. This is what we do daily. So feel free to contribute something positive or you can move on with negative attitude. The purpose of this thread is to educate so you can spend more time learning instead of negative criticisms.
We don't sell to small time domestic customers okay, we sell to merchants who buy several animals. It might serve you well to discuss with a practicing pig farmer instead of imagination.

2 Likes

Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by fm7070: 12:12pm On Mar 08, 2012
ayodele123:

@fm7070
The poster did not say that a pig can be fed with N3000.00 He said that a piglet costs N3000 to N3500 and this is actually true.
The price per kilo is also correct at N230.00 but that a pig can be sold for as high as N45k is what i doubt. N25k sales and a weight of 100kg is realisable within a year.
Actually piggery is smelling business but there is money in it if you can put in the effort.
I know because Okearo Pig Farm is in my neighbourhood and it is one of the largest piggeries in Africa, in fact the largest and has thousands of farmers who are mostly individuals
Buyers come from across West Africa on weekly basis with lorries to buy pigs, so the market is there despite the taboos associated with the business. Many of my neighbors have pens there and they are in money from this smelling business.
Nevertheless, it has its own risks and troubles too as in any other business.Its not smooth sailing all the way as some project.

#ayodele123
thx. am so much concerned about people who doesn't  know much about the animal and may like to venture into it.
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 12:19pm On Mar 08, 2012
Something to motivate all current and aspiring pig farmers. They raise 14million pigs in a year:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithfield_Foods
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by Nobody: 1:10pm On Mar 08, 2012
femu:

@blink182
Have you operated a piggery before? I happen to have operated a poultry and run a fishery concurrently with my piggery, so am well informed practically not theoretically. This is what we do daily. So feel free to contribute something positive or you can move on with negative attitude. The purpose of this thread is to educate so you can spend more time learning instead of negative criticisms.
We don't sell to small time domestic customers okay, we sell to merchants who buy several animals. It might serve you well to discuss with a practicing pig farmer instead of imagination.
Obviously you were so pissed by what I said, you didn't bother to analyse. You just wanted to hit back by all means. Can one tell pig feces is human like both in texture and to an extent smell from reading a book? Never meant to be offensive and I still stand by what I know practically-fishery is easier to operate unlike piggery. Take it or leave it, it's not by force. As for market, I don't live in or close to a mega town, I know the market here and its lean, people who dare to practise here do free range. Do not bother to reply because I am unsubscribing, I run away from people who think they know it all. Good day!
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 1:16pm On Mar 09, 2012
Merchant Pig buyers are known to come all the way from Warri to Ota; from Togo to Nigeria,
There are different categories of buyers:
[list]
[li]I have a woman that buys 4 pigs every week to kill at the local weekly market[/li]
[li]One of my customers from idiroko uses it for suya; he kills at least 10 a week[/li]
[li]Another comes from warri and buys a minimum of 100 pigs.[/li]
[li]Most customers always buy a minimum of 1ton(20-10 animals).[/li]
[li]Last year a client requested for 300 piglets in starting his own farm ,i couldn't meet the demand because i wanted to boost my stock.[/li]

[/list]
The issue is demand far exceeds supply in Piggery because it takes you 6months to raise an animal and people eat daily, and some people shy away from piggery for funny reasons.

Learn and share more at: http://no1pigfan.

1 Like

Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 4:10pm On Mar 09, 2012
This list is all about feed ingredients and their current prices. Prices always differ based on location. Some of the items are not easily quantified because the sellers  don’t retail based on weight; they just bag it up. You can always squeeze them to top it up cheesy.  We Pig farmers are interested in weights so I will try and give an approximate where I can. Please feel free to contribute……………, 

Learn more at: http://no1pigfan.
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 12:33pm On Mar 15, 2012
Medical Doctors and Pharmacists will feel at home running a part-time Piggery.
Pigs are omnivorous so we share lots of similarities in drugs and food nutrition.
I have learnt a lot about antibiotics on the farm. It makes you become careful, detailed and intellectually vast.
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 9:41am On Mar 20, 2012
Here are
some vital tips for drug usage application in a
piggery:

Over dosage: In farming there are no
mistakes to be forgiven; no second chances.
If you’re panicky or careless with the
dosage you will pay for it!
A little extra could be very dangerous.

Drug Cocktails and misapplication: The
efficacy of an antibiotic is lessened by the
concurrent application of Iron or calcium.
Give some 2hours interval between the use
of an antibiotic and iron/calcium.

Learn and share more at http://no1pigfan.
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 12:33am On Mar 28, 2012
A Male pig that isn’t used for breeding has to be castrated;typically you’re bound to have this once you start breeding. Here are a few reasons why you should castrate male pigs:

It allows faster growth of male pigs.

Learn more at: http://no1pigfan.
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 11:57pm On May 31, 2012
Cute Piglets available. Call 08034209301

http://no1pigfan.

Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by Theyjih: 6:41am On Jun 03, 2012
hi @femu must commend ur work. tryin out an idea of storin brewery waste after caking (Nothing Major, a no-Brainer in fact) in drums used for oil-palm storage due to space its working out so far just dat it requires constant stirring of the topmost part . wld appreciate any suggestion with regards to making it effective. the room temp is relatively cool/
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by AdeCharity: 10:58am On Jun 03, 2012
femu: This is not a technical article, am not an animal scientist nor vet doc so its just my rant based on personal experience. Also its not based on the typical rubbish dump pigs you’re probably used to, its based on Pigs kept in concrete pens for commercial purposes.

Investing in piggery is a good and stress-free business as female Pigs conceive twice in a year and can produce as much as 12piglets each time.

A piglet is sold between 3000-3500 Naira, while mature Pigs are sold based on their live weight(kg) multiplied by the going rate per kilo. Currently this is 230 Naira per kilo. Within a year you can have your pig weigh as much as 100kg if you feed it well.

Advantages over Fishery and Poultry.

Lower mortality rate- Pigs are not as fragile, they can still cope with some delays in feeding and water.
Cheaper cost of feeding- Pigs can be fed with a wide variety of products, like humans they are omnivores. Pig feed also costs lesser per kilo compared to Chicken and Fish feed.
Security- because most people have prejudiced opinions towards pigs they don’t even come close to them, hence the thought of theft doesn’t cross their mind. Some see pigs as a taboo.
Also pigs are highly uncooperative animals to handle, they don’t necessarily move in herds .
Diseases- pigs are less susceptible to diseases unlike poultry. Pigs don’t require any special vaccines. All they need is occasional vitamin supplement, de-worming and anti-bacterial treatments.
Easy on the pocket- if you’re very resourceful you can feed a pig with 50 Naira a day by collecting roughages(cassava peels, corn chaff)  in your neighbourhood. U can't dare that with layers or fishes. Also you can easily source brewery waste and palm kernel cake cake for them
More Profitable- In piggery, when selling a kilogram  is a kilogram whether the animal is Big or Small;whereas in fishery the fishes are sold at different weights per kilogram.
Facility conversion Incase you get tired of farming you can easily convert the pens to offices or accommodation. The designs are relevant. i doubt you can easily achieve that in poultry and fishery
international job vacancies for Nigerians; visit:WWW.Wealthandhealth.com.ng. Over 200,000 people get the international offer daily. Did i bill u? Inform ur people.
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 12:14pm On Jun 03, 2012
Theyjih: hi @femu must commend ur work. tryin out an idea of storin brewery waste after caking (Nothing Major, a no-Brainer in fact) in drums used for oil-palm storage due to space its working out so far just dat it requires constant stirring of the topmost part . wld appreciate any suggestion with regards to making it effective. the room temp is relatively cool/

Are you trying to preserve it wet?...its prone to fermentation.

1 Like

Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 12:18pm On Jun 04, 2012
Farmland for Piggery is available at 350k.
Call 08034209301 for more info
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 9:47am On Jun 05, 2012
For pig farmers the available Farmland is close to numerous sources of cheap animal feed....its also close to major sales point.
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by Theyjih: 10:31pm On Jun 05, 2012
femu:

Are you trying to preserve it wet?...its prone to fermentation.
yeah more like air-drying, yeah the fermentation issue so far is bin curbed
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by femu(m): 10:57pm On Jun 05, 2012
Some people keep them in cement bags or any airtight bags while some sun dry. Any approach is cool as long as it doesn't get mouldy. Another issue is the alcohol content due to inevitable fermentation......also beware of alfatoxins.....
Re: Make A Living With Piggery Business by Theyjih: 7:33pm On Jun 06, 2012
femu: Some people keep them in cement bags or any airtight bags while some sun dry. Any approach is cool as long as it doesn't get mouldy. Another issue is the alcohol content due to inevitable fermentation......also beware of alfatoxins.....
Noted!

(1) (2) (Reply)

See How Herdsmen Destroyed Our Bee Hives(pix) / My Poultry Feed Formulation Experiment On Broilers. / Two Men Pose With Live Python At A Public Event. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.