Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,980 members, 7,806,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

C++ Vs. Java - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / C++ Vs. Java (2661 Views)

C++ Vs Java (hilarious Gif) / Python Vs Java / Vb vs Java: Which Is Better For Mobile Applications? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

C++ Vs. Java by Kasiye: 8:48am On Aug 17, 2011
Gurus in the house I hail grin, I want to learn programing smiley, but am a bit confused between Java and C++ which to go for undecided, can u guys tell me which is (overall) best between the two
Re: C++ Vs. Java by Fayimora(m): 12:32pm On Aug 17, 2011
This is gonna end up in some sorta argument. I just have 4 words,  Figure it  out yourself,  Every programer has what(language) he/she likes so asking such a question is a bit futile.

Have a look at these:
Computer Programming --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming
Programming language -->  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programming_languages
C++  --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B
Java  --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)

If you are serious enough you should have time to read even beyond. From there onwards you would know what you want.

Good luck.

NB: The moment an argument starts, am gonna have to lock this thread! Sorry!
Re: C++ Vs. Java by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 17, 2011
Re: C++ Vs. Java by Kasiye: 8:44pm On Aug 17, 2011
@omo_to_dun i think i'll do just that, thanks every1
Re: C++ Vs. Java by Fayimora(m): 9:37pm On Aug 17, 2011
If you are gonna learn both then I must tell you something. Don't start learning Java and when learning C++, you try to program the Java way or vice versa. You should learn how to program! Every language has something interesting about it so its good you explore those features. Say you start learning C++ and you get to functions where you decide to give it a break and start learning Java. Dont say because you have learnt variables in C++ so you wont read it in a Java book or tutorial. Thats bad and you are gonna regret it badly!

I just hope you understood what i was tryna say here!
Re: C++ Vs. Java by amankumar: 11:24am On Aug 18, 2011
Both are programing language.c++ is a statically typed, free-form, multi-paradigm, compiled, general-purpose programming language.Java is a programming language originally developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystems.
Re: C++ Vs. Java by talk2hb1(m): 4:51pm On Aug 19, 2011
C++ is good Java is Good
They both have their strength and weakness
I will suggest to get started with C++ and then Java
(Just my own Opinion)
or better still write both language in a piece of paper and and roll it up ask some one to pick one for you grin grin grin grin
catch fun
Re: C++ Vs. Java by okeyxyz(m): 1:50am On Aug 20, 2011
c++ vs Java?

well, it's like this: for consumer-level(not guru\ black-belt) programmers, like (i think) we nairaland programmers are, there's no difference and java might be more popular.

but move beyond this and into the world of gurus\professionals and you will see that c++ is most popular which is evident by the fact that most commercial, mission-critical and successful applications are either entirely or partially written in c\c++, while it's hard to find one written in java(few i know).

the following are either entirely or partially written in c\c++:

microsoft windows, microsoft office,
internet explorer, mozilla firefox, google chrome, safari, opera,
apple mac OS, apple iphone\ipad\itouch IOS,
google android, symbian OS, Blackberry OS,
amazon kindle OS,
corell, adobe systems acrobat reader\distiller,
oracle database, Mysql,  microsoft SQL Server,
paypal, amazon, ebay, facebook, google, wikipedia,
GPS: tomtom, hertz, garmin,
ms visual studio, visual C#, PHP, Perl,
Apache, microsoft IIS,

mehn, the list too much jo,  most definitely,  c++ rules.  cool
Re: C++ Vs. Java by profCC: 7:17am On Aug 25, 2011
C++ is a powerful programing lang.i have been using the programing language for the past 3 yrs and it as powerful libraries.
To be honest i still prefer JAVA.Most of my projects are written using JAVA.You can learn both at the same time if you really want to know the syntax and semantics of the language.

As i did:start with C++,followed by JAVA
Re: C++ Vs. Java by ektbear: 2:36am On Aug 26, 2011
Kind of funny. I initially was going to learn C++ really well since it'd be more appropriate for the types of jobs i'll be looking for. But I found a few great Java books and learning resources, so am going with that instead.

Java is an easier language than C++ I think. No pointers in Java, nice big, well-documented and well-organized library. But aside from pointers, to me they basically seem the same. I think a C++ guy could pick up Java fairly quickly (basically within a week).

I think with these things, it is learning the ecosystem that takes more time (libraries, testing tools, debugging tools, etc). Not the actual syntax of the language itself.
Re: C++ Vs. Java by Nobody: 2:39am On Aug 26, 2011
Re: C++ Vs. Java by amankumar: 8:52am On Aug 26, 2011
I think java is a best.
Re: C++ Vs. Java by Mobinga: 12:24pm On Aug 28, 2011
Another VS thread.
Re: C++ Vs. Java by okeyxyz(m): 1:32am On Aug 29, 2011
if i'm gonna advice you, i'd say go for java. it's the safe choice and the more(probably) inspiring for a novice. i would tell you to disregard my first post. if u wanna do c++, then that's a decision you'd wanna make by yourself and take responsibility for it. talk about education with tears and that's c++ for you. in short, c++ is bloody hard and you'll need to be sucidal to make it your primary programming language, thus I bow for all c++ gurus out there.

so start off with java and when u get pretty good at it, then you'll be able to tell yourself whether c++ still holds any interest for you. besides, u find more job opportunities with java in the nigerian market(& probably globally??, not sure!) than c++. cheers.
Re: C++ Vs. Java by ektbear: 2:32am On Aug 29, 2011
I'm watching a data structures video. Linked lists are a bit easier to implement in Java, hehe. No need to clean up after yourself. . . the garbage collector will do it for you. Kind of convenient, I think.
Re: C++ Vs. Java by Nobody: 2:43am On Aug 29, 2011
Re: C++ Vs. Java by ektbear: 3:01am On Aug 29, 2011

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Download Udemy Courses On My PC For Offline Viewing? / I Needed Area I Can Learn Graphics And Web Design In Aba, Abia State / Who Can Crack This Pascal Puzzle?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.