Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,356 members, 7,780,964 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 06:28 AM

Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc (1388 Views)

Can I Get A Mini Laptop With A CD-ROM Drive? / How Much Can I Get A External Cd Rom For My Mini Laptop / Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc by gbadex1(m): 12:46am On Aug 21, 2007
Ok, i've got 2 problems with the PC.

#1. The 'Help and Support' on my PC won't open. each time i try doing so, a message would pop up saying Help and Support can't open because a system service is not running. Which one, it won't tell. Please what do i do, people?

#2. The CD ROM Drive on my pc can no longer be located. The drivers and shit are present but the PC can't find the hardware device itself. This started just yesterday night. Now i can't run any kinda CD on that system. I've removed the CD Drive, replaced it, shit still won't show. Please any help would be appreciated, thanks. . .
Re: Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc by maxjax(m): 11:31am On Aug 21, 2007
just do a system restore. hope dat helps.
Re: Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc by gbadex1(m): 12:18pm On Aug 21, 2007
I tried doing so, but help and support won't open to let me do so. could formatting the system work?
Re: Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc by gbadex1(m): 12:39pm On Aug 21, 2007
I tried doing so, but help and support won't open to let me do so. could formatting the system work?
Re: Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc by Nobody: 5:53pm On Aug 21, 2007
@ poster,
format the hell-damned system, but just make sure you copy out all necessary documents before embarking on such an irreversible mission
Re: Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc by Ralvy(m): 7:02pm On Aug 21, 2007
Hey, Y such advices, @poster; That system dos'nt need tu be formatted at all,
It's a simple virus u have man,

I will compile a guide in pdf. format and upload tomorrow. Try to access the task manager and the registry editor, also see if the folder option menu is present. If all are disabled, it's surely a virus,

All the same, running a virus scan with a good antivirus software, and using a registry cleaner, wiill restore the system to normal. This will surely work, if it dosnt - let me know and I'll upload the guide wink cheesy

Concerning the "Help and Support"

Type "services.msc (without quotes) in the run box from the start menu and enable the service.
Re: Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc by Maleeq(m): 8:05pm On Aug 21, 2007
@Poster

#1 - Go into the "Services" management console(Either through the Administrative Tools under Control Panel or simply type in "services.msc" from the command prompt.
Look for the service named "Help And Support". Make sure the start-up type is set to Automatic. Then click on the "play" button on the top of the console to start the service. Hopefully, all should be well.

#2 -
A. Did you get a "Blue Screen Of Death" before this happened? I have seen a case once like that, there was an issue with IDE controller drivers after the owner of the system tried updating the BIOS of the board. Simply getting the right BIOS update fixed this issue.

B. Does the system recognize the CD Drive in the BIOS? If it does, then try this:
- Boot up the Windows installation normally.
- At a command prompt, enter "diskmgmt.msc" to go into the "Disk Management" console
- In the console that pops up, scroll through the list of disks and drive present,
- If you see your drive listed but does not have a drive letter assigned to it, simply right click on it and select "Change Drive Letters And Paths"
- Pick the default.
- Hopefully, you are kool from there on.
[b]
C.[/b]COnfirm that you have properly set the jumper options on the drive itself. Confirm this and try the above steps if you discover the jumper was placed wrongly and the system does not detect it still.
Re: Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc by Maleeq(m): 8:09pm On Aug 21, 2007
One more thing, did you install or uninstall any CD recording software before you noticed this error?
Re: Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc by Nobody: 8:32pm On Aug 21, 2007
abegi,
i have nothing more to say than that, cos i cant advice him to go get a new antivirus cos the cddrive is unreadable, and probably there'll also be an antivirus on the system, and am sure he must have used that on the system but no success
Re: Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc by gbadex1(m): 9:16am On Aug 23, 2007
Yo, i thank y'all for the advice given. I was about formatting the bloody system, but i'd try other options first. I've an antivirus on the PC already, though i haven't done a scan in a while now.

but if shit still doesn't work, omo na formatting, straight away ni. . .
Re: Help Needed, My Cd Rom Drive Can't Be Located On My Pc by nic121: 2:54pm On Aug 24, 2007
try changing the IDE datacable befoe then check the setup and check if the cdrom is detected if not try changing the IDE data cable best of luck

(1) (Reply)

Wow, Mtn Is Back Again, I Am Flexing With Speed / Fairly Used Laptops From Malaysia / Hp Envy Dv6 Core I5,6gb Ram, 750gb Rom Needed Urgently In Ph

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.