Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,927 members, 7,803,013 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

Are English Home-videos/actors Better Than Their Yoruba Counterparts? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Are English Home-videos/actors Better Than Their Yoruba Counterparts? (1368 Views)

Foreign Movies Copied Into The Nigerian Home Videos / Effects Of Watching Home Videos! / Common Flaws in Nigerian Home Videos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are English Home-videos/actors Better Than Their Yoruba Counterparts? by Lumafon(f): 1:15pm On Feb 25, 2006
Dont know if i'm the only one that noticed this, but i thuink the general belief is that english home-videos and their actors are better than yoruba films or actors, well i think this is pure crap and utter balderdash! When you see actors like ola Sobowale, Jide Kosoko, Racheal Oniga, Funso Adeolu, Yomi Fash etc play alongside their english movie counterparts, they always give a good account of themselves. The funniest pat is that some of the yoruba actors even speak better english than the so-called english actors, dont you guys think so?
Re: Are English Home-videos/actors Better Than Their Yoruba Counterparts? by babwilms(m): 2:01pm On Feb 25, 2006
Yoruba movies are way way too better than the english home videos. The yoruba movies are non fiction whereas the english are mostly fiction. The yoruba movies comes with comedies, it educates u about what really goes on in real life, u get to learn all these proverbs that helps in real life situations, but the english home videos has non of these attributes to it, its simply about love all the time. But their are some good english movies but its too pridictable. Plus the yoruba actors come out correct unlike the english wannane
Re: Are English Home-videos/actors Better Than Their Yoruba Counterparts? by Lumafon(f): 2:35pm On Feb 25, 2006
yeah i forgot that all important aspect, yoruba movies instruct, they teach real life issues, talk about real every day problems while english movies are too busy trying to be like hollywood to make any sense. even in the crapiest yoruba movies, you still lear some valuable lesson but the english, you learn how to be sub-western i.e. propose to a lady with an artificial flower, on one knee in an overgrown garden. Invaluable dont you think? wink
Re: Are English Home-videos/actors Better Than Their Yoruba Counterparts? by Hotstepper(f): 4:35am On Feb 26, 2006
hmmm haven't seen any yoruba movie so i can't contribute tongue
Re: Are English Home-videos/actors Better Than Their Yoruba Counterparts? by luvu567(f): 8:50pm On Feb 26, 2006
I think the yoruba movies are better b/c they have better actors and they actually keep it real. The english movies be trying to "ameriacanize shi*". Maybe its b/c im yoruba but I like yoruba movies way better then english ones.
Re: Are English Home-videos/actors Better Than Their Yoruba Counterparts? by tejuoso1(f): 12:18pm On Feb 28, 2006
the english actors are better but i prefer the yoruba movie because they are way too funny and you have no idea what will happen next unlike the english one that what you are thinking is what they'll ask.
Re: Are English Home-videos/actors Better Than Their Yoruba Counterparts? by tejuoso1(f): 12:20pm On Feb 28, 2006
i mean what you are thinking is what they'll act (not ask)
Re: Are English Home-videos/actors Better Than Their Yoruba Counterparts? by enugu(f): 12:47pm On Aug 31, 2006
[table]
Lumafon:

Dont know if i'm the only one that noticed this, but i thuink the general belief is that english home-videos and their actors are better than yoruba films or actors, well i think this is pure crap and utter balderdash! When you see actors like ola Sobowale, Jide Kosoko, Racheal Oniga, Funso Adeolu, Yomi Fash etc play alongside their english movie counterparts, they always give a good account of themselves. The funniest pat is that some of the yoruba actors even speak better english than the so-called english actors, don't you guys think so?
[/table]

@Lumafon,
These people you've mentioned are just as good in English home videos so its actually their ability to ACT, not what language they speak when they are acting.

The thing is Yoruba movies are a lot more natural because the artistes are speaking their language or at least a language that embodies their culture and so they don't have to struggle with the nuances that English language presents. I don't understand Yoruba but I watch a lot of Yoruba movies, because the delivery is a lot more believable and therefore more enjoyable. That's not to say that all Yoruba actors/actresses are good, it's just when you're completely in control of the language you're using, your flaws go unnoticed.

Like I mentioned before, someone like Sola Fosudo for instance, is brilliant in both genres. I don't think that any group is better than the other. I think that a good actor is a good actor, no matter what language; however if it's a language you understand and speak well, it is an added advantage.

that is my own opinion o!

Cheers smiley

(1) (Reply)

Gladiator Or Braveheart: Which Is The Best / Nollywood Movie: Winning Your Love / FURY (2014) ‘full Movie’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.