Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,883 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:31 AM

Ikwerre People We Need To Talk - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ikwerre People We Need To Talk (3437 Views)

A Brief History Of The Ikwerre People Of Rivers State. / Why Do Ikwerre Igbos Reject Their Igbo Identity? / I Am Not Igbo, I Am Ikwerre! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by ndiigbo1: 10:44pm On Aug 17, 2011
For long I have seen us as a people wallow in denial. Even my family is not short of this. First of all I would start by saying I am Ikwerre to my father's side but schooled in Anambra. Why are we deceiving ourselves to think we are different from the Igbo ethnic group. Our language is the same, our culture is the same etc so why should we keep denying our Identity.

I for one am ikwerre and I know myself to be Igbo. To an average Nigerian, Ikwerre to them is Igbo whether in the North or in the South. My brothers and sisters, do not be deceived. Let us embrace our identity insisted or denying it.

Ibani na-madu, enough said

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by NegroNtns(m): 11:39pm On Aug 17, 2011
I'm an average Nigerian and I didn't know Ikwerre is Ibo.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by ChinenyeN(m): 11:49pm On Aug 17, 2011
Ikwere mu bu nye Ngwa bu nwenne zi nu mba. M bekwulem. Hne ndi-igbo kanu buru oma. O bu eziokwu nu nsogbu nu nkpa ke unu karilam hoo haa.

ndi-igbo:

Ibani na-madu
undecided Mind explaining why you added this part in particular?
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by NegroNtns(m): 1:08am On Aug 18, 2011
Ikwerre Kwenu! Alaigbo kwenu!!
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by desertboom(m): 4:55pm On Aug 18, 2011
Ikwerre meka. Hahaha. . . My Ikwerre friend will always reply by saying "diale". @ChinenyeN. Are you from Ikwerre?
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by Abagworo(m): 5:45pm On Aug 18, 2011
desertboom:

Ikwerre meka. Hahaha. . . My Ikwerre friend will always reply by saying "diale". @ChinenyeN. Are you from Ikwerre?

It is "diali" not "diale".Also "dieli" depending on dialect.

@topic I will like a bit of slow down on this Ikwerre-Igbo issue because it is an in house issue.

Ele kuru iku si nu be vu wene zi nu mba mazi!
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by ChinenyeN(m): 7:30pm On Aug 18, 2011
Abagworo:

Ele kuru iku si nu be vu wene zi nu mba mazi!
I menem. A Meka!

desertboom:

@ChinenyeN. Are you from Ikwerre?
No, I'm Ngwa. Us and Ikwere get relationship.
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by Afam4eva(m): 9:51pm On Aug 18, 2011
I'm tired of hearinf this Ikwerre is Igbo thing. I have Ikwerre friends who say they are Igbo and have also seen those that say they are not Igbo. I will not want to force down Igbo on anyone's throat. The most important thing is that Ikwerre is an Igboid language and are closer to Igbos linguistically, culturally than any other group in Nigeria. Even Ikwerres cannot deny this. Pls give this issue a beffiting rest.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by ndiigbo1: 10:03pm On Aug 18, 2011
afam4eva:

I'm tired of hearinf this Ikwerre is Igbo thing. I have Ikwerre friends who say they are Igbo and have also seen those that say they are not Igbo. I will not want to force down Igbo on anyone's throat. The most important thing is that Ikwerre is an Igboid language and are closer to Igbos linguistically, culturally than any other group in Nigeria. Even Ikwerres cannot deny this. Pls give this issue a beffiting rest.

We are not Igboid but part of igbo. I do not consider myself as an Igboid group but an Igbo group just like Ngwa and co

2 Likes

Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by ChinenyeN(m): 12:10am On Aug 19, 2011
ndi-igbo, I'd still very much like to know why you said "Ibani na madu". Would you mind explaining that for me? Just out of curiosity.
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by Dede1(m): 4:52pm On Aug 20, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

I'm an average Nigerian and I didn't know Ikwerre is Ibo.

Shut up your putrid mouth, fool. You are two rungs below average Nigerian that is the reason you did not know ikwerre as Igbo. When the poster of the thread wrote about “average Nigerian”, he or she did not include your lazy arse as an average Nigerian.
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by ChinenyeN(m): 5:51pm On Aug 20, 2011
Dede i na-atupuru ya onu maka gini? undecided
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by Nobody: 11:48pm On Aug 20, 2011
It is instructive to note that ndi-Igbo is addressing his Ikwere brothers on this issue. It is most Ikweres that have issue on this as an average Igboman regard Ikwerre as Igbo. But I dare say this task is herculean as 7 Year old Ikwerre neighbour's kid aggressively insists she is not Igbo. At this point those Ikwerre elders who have lied to their subordinates need to come out in the light and make a similar statement just as ndi-Igbo have done on this thread. only then will this strongly entrenched falsehood begin to disappear.

1 Like

Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by AndreUweh(m): 12:05am On Aug 21, 2011
We should also note that there are Ikwerre's who do not disclaim Igbo. For example, my wife is Igbo and she as well as her Ikwerre family are proud Igbo people. On my own part, I know my wife is Igbo and that is what she is actually.
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by ChinenyeN(m): 12:41am On Aug 21, 2011
Are we seriously going to go through this subject matter again? C'mon people. undecided
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by Chyz2: 12:47am On Aug 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

Are we seriously going to go through this subject matter again? C'mon people. undecided

Thank you.
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by ChinenyeN(m): 1:00am On Aug 21, 2011
Chyz*:

Thank you.
See, you know what I'm saying. There's no need to continually dive into these topics with any kind of serious intent. I, for example, only took an interest in this topic because ndi-igbo stated "Ibani na madu", and I'm seriously interesting in why he said that.
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by Abagworo(m): 2:16am On Aug 21, 2011
ChinenyeN:

See, you know what I'm saying. There's no need to continually dive into these topics with any kind of serious intent. I, for example, only took an interest in this topic because ndi-igbo stated "Ibani na madu", and I'm seriously interesting in why he said that.

Don't worry yourself.That guy bu w'isoma.O bula ha ya kanu.
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by ChinenyeN(m): 12:27am On Aug 22, 2011
hm. Alright.
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by zik4ever: 8:52am On Sep 11, 2015
Please what is the meaning of Ikwerre meka and A meka?
Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by 1shortblackboy: 3:16am On Sep 12, 2015
This issue is only an issue to igbos and also only on Nairaland. In real life ikwerres never consider themselves igbo. If u like open a thousand threads and argue to eternity.

5 Likes

Re: Ikwerre People We Need To Talk by aribisala0(m): 2:07pm On Aug 11, 2017
The same Ikwerre that seized abandoned property? The same Ikwerres that rejected the imposed Ibo NCNC candidate Elugwaraonu in favour of an independent candidate : Wonodi and disgraced the Ibo NCNC at the 1963 polls?

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Nmaku(chants) In Igboland. / Meaning Of ‘I Chigo Ichie’ In Igbo And Japanese Languages -igbodefender.com / This White Lady Speaks Yoruba Better Than Most Nigerians: Omg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.