Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,490 members, 7,781,467 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:53 PM

Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police (4538 Views)

Rivers Rerun:inec Official With Fake Results Arrested Police Read More At: Http / See Photo Of A Boko Haram Fuel Supplier Arrested By Nigerian Troops In Monguno / PHOTO: Civilians Arrested Police Inspector (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by Beaf: 12:34am On Aug 20, 2011
[size=14pt]Nigerian bomb material supplier arrested - police[/size]
Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:00pm GMT  Print

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria Aug 19 (Reuters) - Nigerian police said on Friday they had arrested a shop owner who sold chemicals to people suspected of involvement in Monday's failed car bomb attack on the police headquarters in the northeastern city of Maiduguri.

A man was shot dead by police after he rammed a car filled with explosives, which failed to detonate, through the gates leading to the police station, similar to a strike in the capital Abuja in June, carried out by radical Islamist sect, Boko Haram.

"Detectives combed the car for clues on Monday that would assist in further investigations. Following up on one of the clues, detectives were able to trace the source of the explosive materials to a store in Maiduguri," Simeon Midenda, Borno state police commissioner, told reporters on Friday.

"Investigations so far revealed 13 bottles of aluminium powder, one packet of face masks and a packet of hand gloves were bought from the store on Aug. 8, by those who sponsored the bombing attempt."

Midenda gave no details of who the police believed the sponsors or bombers were. He said documents in the shop show significant purchases were made on dates prior to other bomb attacks over the last year.

Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, has been the scene of months of attacks by Boko Haram, whose name roughly translated from the local Hausa language is "Western education is sinful". More than 150 people have been killed in attacks this year in the city of around 1.2 million.

Attacks are growing in intensity and spreading further afield. The group claimed responsibility for the attack in the car park of police headquarters in Abuja.

The police commissioner of Yobe, another state in the remote northeast on the Niger border, said one of his patrols arrested eight members of Boko Haram behind a bomb attack last week and had transferred them to police headquarters in Abuja.

Bomb blasts in the north have replaced militant attacks on oil facilities hundreds of miles away in the southern Niger Delta as the main security threat in Nigeria.

Boko Haram's views, which include wanting sharia law more widely applied across Nigeria, are not backed by most of the country's Muslim population, the largest in sub-Saharan Africa.

President Goodluck Jonathan has appointed a committee to look into the unrest in the northeast. The team was supposed to deliver its report on Tuesday but was given a two-week extension after presenting preliminary findings. (Reporting by Ibrahim Mshelizza; Writing by Joe Brock, editing by Rosalind Russell)

http://af.reuters.com/article/commoditiesNews/idAFL5E7JJ3N320110819
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by seedord247(m): 1:44am On Aug 20, 2011
Kokoro tijn je efo idi efo lowa
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by Korrection(m): 2:41am On Aug 20, 2011
why is Nigeria Police afraid of BH, ?, always arresting the innocent ones, Bummmmer!!!
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by nigboy(m): 3:04am On Aug 20, 2011
This is a good news
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by markjac01: 5:42am On Aug 20, 2011
who are d sponsors? i need names!
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by nwkrix: 5:43am On Aug 20, 2011
Solution to all theses bomb issues is to tighten security across the borders and to make sure that no flight lands on any unauthorized airstrip. Not arresting some insignificant retailer retailer
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by Nobody: 5:44am On Aug 20, 2011
bizarre and only in nigeria

so apparently a member of boko haram is selling materials to boko haram

and documenting it to boot

as to aluminum powder, hand gloves and facemasks being bomb making materials -  what are these dolts on?

what next, they will arrest mobile phone sellers?
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by udbyron1(m): 6:14am On Aug 20, 2011
*oops* *boooooom*
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by udbyron1(m): 6:17am On Aug 20, 2011
*oops* *boooooom* ?.
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by Exponental(m): 7:16am On Aug 20, 2011
Good one. Investigatn shld be thorough n ensure its nt a mistaken identity.
With ds, all chemical shops shld be checked n put under severe control.
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by EvilBrain1(m): 7:46am On Aug 20, 2011
Exponental:

Good one. Investigatn shld be thorough n ensure its nt a mistaken identity.
With ds, all chemical shops shld be checked n put under severe control.

Is selling chemicals now a crime? Then they should also arrest Dangote, the entire NNPC staff and all filling station owners. After all cement and petrol can be mixed together to make bombs.

Maybe there's something they haven't told us but I'm not convinced that they're not just using some unlucky guy as a scapegoat. Never underestimate the uselessness of the NPF.
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by sadyeek(m): 7:53am On Aug 20, 2011
You guys are just shouting 'good news' HOW?? Are this detectives trained well at all? Even without training just watching shows like 24 should give them an idea of what to do in such situation. HABA.

Its very obvious, stake out the place and when they come around for resupply then they strike and take them out.

Arresting the man would just make them change their purchase location, I doubt if he's going to be able to provide them with much information or leads.

This news and development Shouldn't have been made public, till when. The organisation had been infiltrated and the sponsors were caught.
A simple example is how the USA killed OSAMA. Its all about intelligence.

I only hope they step up their game.
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by jamace(m): 8:11am On Aug 20, 2011
^^Good points there.

I hope this will not be the last we will hear of this case. The havoc of egunje in the security forces/agencies in particular and our nation at large can not be overlooked.
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by Nobody: 8:33am On Aug 20, 2011
Arresting an innocent chemicals dealer would achieve nothing
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by adamabdul: 8:37am On Aug 20, 2011
An Ibo guy who doesnt even know they can be used as explosives is now boko haram.shame NPF
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by chelseabmw(m): 9:29am On Aug 20, 2011
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by texazzpete(m): 9:31am On Aug 20, 2011
I'm willing to bet my last kobo that the salesman is a 100% innocent chemicals dealer who has now been turned to a scapegoat by the incompetent Nigerian police.
Oh, well. i'm sorry for the fellow.
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by Nobody: 9:55am On Aug 20, 2011
texazzpete:

I'm willing to bet my last kobo that the salesman is a 100% innocent chemicals dealer who has now been turned to a scapegoat by the incompetent Nigerian police.

the newspapers will prolly cover it in 2026 when the man is finally released from detention much like the poor sods who were imprisioned by the bastids in black for rewane's murder angry angry angry
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by nbltech(m): 10:21am On Aug 20, 2011
texazzpete:

never mind NPF! they are always looking for wat to talk not wat to do.
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by GP15: 10:32am On Aug 20, 2011
mark_jac01:

who are d sponsors? i need names!

You be Jack Bauer, lol
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by toluxa1(m): 10:37am On Aug 20, 2011
Evil Brain:

Is selling chemicals now a crime? Then they should also arrest Dangote, the entire NNPC staff and all filling station owners. After all cement and petrol can be mixed together to make bombs.

Maybe there's something they haven't told us but I'm not convinced that they're not just using some unlucky guy as a scapegoat. Never underestimate the uselessness of the NPF.

I didnt know there were people who still think like this. . . . Nigerians! Kai
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by Beaf: 11:04am On Aug 20, 2011
sadyeek:

You guys are just shouting 'good news' HOW?? Are this detectives trained well at all? Even without training just watching shows like 24 should give them an idea of what to do in such situation. HABA.

Its very obvious, stake out the place and when they come around for resupply then they strike and take them out.

Arresting the man would just make them change their purchase location, I doubt if he's going to be able to provide them with much information or leads.

This news and development Shouldn't have been made public, till when. The organisation had been infiltrated and the sponsors were caught.
A simple example is how the USA killed OSAMA. Its all about intelligence.

I only hope they step up their game.

You need to adjust the ideas from 24 to what obtains on the ground in Nigeria. In the West, your neighbour (whose name you couldn't be bothered to know) in a block of flats could be dead for weeks and you only call the emergency services, because of the smell.
The West is a very individual place where stakeouts of such a shop might be needed, cos the shopkeeper can rightly claim not to have a clue who or where his customers come from.
That is a situation that's totally impossible in Nigeria, the shopkeeper is sure to know his customers, especially those whose shopping tended to coincide with bomb blasts. In Nigeria, the shopkeeper is bound to know who bought stuff from him, down to where they claim to live. Everybody knows the other, even if its just for tafia reasons.

Another good reason for arresting the shopkeeper would be to preserve his life, because boko haram will surely kill him if they can. He is no doubt, a very valuable witness indeed.

As for oyb who says aluminum powder isn't a suspicious purchase. He's at his typically daft best; aluminum powder is one of the most incendiary materials known to man. It is used as a component for rocket engine fuel, the thermite process (for cutting steel), stun grenades and several other typres of explosives. oyb is always in a rush to say anything to oppose the govt, even if its very daft or very dangerous.

All in all, the arrest of a chemical supplier is a very good development.
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by Nobody: 11:42am On Aug 20, 2011
Beaf:

You need to adjust the ideas from 24 to what obtains on the ground in Nigeria. In the West, your neighbour (whose name you couldn't be bothered to know) in a block of flats could be dead for weeks and you only call the emergency services, because of the smell.
The West is a very individual place where stakeouts of such a shop might be needed, cos the shopkeeper can rightly claim not to have a clue who or where his customers come from.
That is a situation that's totally impossible in Nigeria, the shopkeeper is sure to know his customers, especially those whose shopping tended to coincide with bomb blasts. In Nigeria, the shopkeeper is bound to know who bought stuff from him, down to where they claim to live. Everybody knows the other, even if its just for tafia reasons.

Another good reason for arresting the shopkeeper would be to preserve his life, because boko haram will surely kill him if they can. He is no doubt, a very valuable witness indeed.

As for [b]oyb
who says aluminum powder isn't a suspicious purchase. He's at his typically daft best; aluminum powder is one of the most incendiary materials known to man. It is used as a component for rocket engine fuel, the thermite process (for cutting steel), stun grenades and several other typres of explosives. oyb is always in a rush to say anything to oppose the govt, even if its very daft or very dangerous.[/b]

beaf former mend terrorist and all around nl thug. small wonder you know all about aluminum powder. maybe your heroes used it in the october 1 and warri bomb blasts

those of us who lead honest lives wont know about such

bloody apologist buffoon

october 1 is around the corner - lets see about your dunces promise to bring justice to the bombers. hope he is puttimg in more time ith your lion adeboye praying for the bombers to confess

who needs to oppose the administration of hot air fools in aso rock - they do a pretty good job o that themselves

feel free to proceed to spam the board - with your pictures from asaba japan - moronic propagandist cheesy cheesy embarassed
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by jmaine: 11:46am On Aug 20, 2011
^ Good swirl by OYB cheesy . . . no dey rush again abeg wink . . . .
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by slap1(m): 11:47am On Aug 20, 2011
The man will just pay up and walk. End of.
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by sadyeek(m): 11:50am On Aug 20, 2011

As for oyb who says aluminum powder isn't a suspicious purchase. He's at his typically daft best; aluminum powder is one of the most incendiary materials known to man. It is used as a component for rocket engine fuel, the thermite process (for cutting steel), stun grenades and several other typres of explosives. oyb is always in a rush to say anything to oppose the govt, even if its very daft or very dangerous.

I don't agree with some of your point.

I don't mean they should they should photocopy what goes on on 24 and apply it and expect it to work. NO!
They could have met wit him in private, tell him "see O! This is what our investigation produced, lead us back to you" then offer his Xmillion naira, considering how nigerians would do a lot for money and a pardon signed my maybe attorney general or uncle jonah. For them to stake out his shop and when ever the people return, gbam!

Not everybody knows his costumers. Even if he knew them doesn't mean he knows their names and addresses.
I have this place were I go to buy accessories for my PC, the guy know me as a customer but has no idea what my name is, even you put a gun to his head. Talkmore of my add.

They should have tried to get more before arrest or at least before publicising it.

Just my own thoughts sha!
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by Nobody: 11:52am On Aug 20, 2011
No surprise here, them doing what they know best !!!!!

Somalia coming to the north,

God help us !!!!!!!!
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by Beaf: 1:08pm On Aug 20, 2011
sadyeek:

I don't agree with some of your point.

I don't mean they should they should photocopy what goes on on 24 and apply it and expect it to work. NO!
They could have met wit him in private, tell him "see O! This is what our investigation produced, lead us back to you" then offer his Xmillion naira, considering how nigerians would do a lot for money and a pardon signed my maybe attorney general or uncle jonah. For them to stake out his shop and when ever the people return, gbam!

Not everybody knows his costumers. Even if he knew them doesn't mean he knows their names and addresses.
I have this place were I go to buy accessories for my PC, the guy know me as a customer but has no idea what my name is, even you put a gun to his head. Talkmore of my add.

They should have tried to get more before arrest or at least before publicising it.

Just my own thoughts sha!

I get you now and what you are saying is quite logical and the proper way to go about such things in ideal circumstances.
Our problem is that our police haven't even nearly reached that stage of sophistication. This boko haram issue is the first challenge that is really throwing up the frightening danger that their stack incompetence has become. It will take time to straighten the police force (in fact that might be impossible); what I suggest govt do is accelerate the assembly a set of crack forces of World standard that will eventually replace the corrupt NPF totally.

IMHO, the best that can be done with the present bunch of police is arrest any link to boko haram. That way, both the link and any police officers in contact with them can be monitored from a central position. Thats because many of the current crop would be first to inform suspects about what the security services are doing for a few Naira. Even worse is the fact that top police and army officers are suspected to be in boko haram.

Another thing worth noting, is the reason behind boko haram. It was set up to destabilise govt by the extremely powerful forces that lost the last election; thankfully, boko haram is the most they can do, if they could launch a full scale war against the Nigerian state (to sieze power), they would. With that backdrop, I believe every action of the security services would be much more robust than would normally apply.
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by Thatdave(m): 6:57pm On Aug 20, 2011
the most important thing is that they took the suicide bomber home successfully! A feat that can only be achieved by US airport police!

Up NPF.(outdated rifle pple)
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by marcus1234: 8:24pm On Aug 20, 2011
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by werepeLeri: 9:35pm On Aug 20, 2011
MrPrsdent:

Arresting an innocent chemicals dealer would achieve nothing
You must be a sad person- how do you know he is innocent?
Re: Nigerian Bomb Material Supplier Arrested - Police by werepeLeri: 9:38pm On Aug 20, 2011
Evil Brain:

Daft.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Amaechi Apologise To APC Leaders For Empty Stadium At The APC Rivers Launching. / Kayode Ogundamisi: Why Do Yorubas Inject ''Igbo'' Into Everything In Nigeria? / Meat The Tallest Man In Our Village(Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.