Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,681 members, 7,801,962 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:02 AM

CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model (7897 Views)

Firstbank Nigeria Launches Its Premium Banking Lounge In Lagos & Abuja! / Gtb Internet Banking Token Device / CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by volasunkan: 2:33am On Aug 26, 2011
Islamic Bank Controversy:can Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model!
[b].
The president of Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Pastor Ayo Oritsejafor, made some remarks yesterday in Benin City, Edo State, indicating that Christians in Nigeria are considering having their own version of non-interest banking after the Swedish model. He said this in relation to the ongoing plan to introduce Islamic banking to the West-African country.

CAN said it expects the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, to deploy the same resources it had pushed into Islamic banking to make the planned Christian version a success.

“What we are telling the CBN governor is that he should be ready to spend the same billions when Christians eventually come up with their own. We are looking into what the CBN is spending on the project and we will come out with the figures. He (Sanusi Lamido Sanusi) will have to bring out that amount of money, he will have to make sure that Christians are trained in anywhere we need training. For example, in Sweden there is a very good Christian model of non-interest banking. So, Sanusi must get ready to bring out the billions to train over a thousand Christians in Sweden.”

He said uniform guidelines should be used to demonstrate that the CBN meant well for Nigeria by introducing non-interest banking and Islamic banking into the economy. He said except the CBN comes out with common modalities for the non-interest banking and then allow any interested party to go into the sector, its current position would continue to hurt the industry.

In a keynote address at the 36th yearly national conference and general meeting of the Nigeria Christian Graduate Fellowship, NCGF, in Benin City, Oritsejafor said it was hypocritical for the CBN and some persons to be promoting Islamic banking in a secular country like Nigeria.

He asked, “If they (CBN) say it is going to be Islamic banking because that is all we know about this non-interest banking, which ought not to be, and they claim it is for all Nigerians, is this true? Clearly, Islamic banking will be run according to Islamic laws. For example, if I own a piggery, will you give me a loan to operate it? The answer to me is no. For them to say if we don’t support it go to other banks when Islamic banking is purportedly for every Nigerian amounts to discriminating against such persons? Why is it that you are spending government’s money to promote it when it is certainly not for everybody?

The CAN president further added, “Nigeria needs prayers because the mistake a lot of people make is to think that those who speak out are against other religions. They are not, all we are asking for is equity and justice, we are not the ones that heat up the polity, we only respond to some of these things that certain persons throw up. Christians should pray, they should love their Muslim brothers, but not accept to be second-class citizens. Christians should educate people on the realities of some of these things and the implications.”

National President of the NCGF, Prof. Vincent Iyawe, said the aim of the fellowship is to see “the enthronement of righteousness in our nation and to inform and educate the church that the socio-economic and political well-being of the nation is the responsibility of the church.”

Responding to the issue, Former President of CAN, Rev. Sunday Mbang, urged the country’s leaders not to heat up the polity through obnoxious policies.

He said, “To make sure we don’t have crisis in this country, anything that anybody knows would bring problem in future should be avoided. My advice to the members of the National Assembly is that they should ask the CBN governor to put the issue of Islamic banking on hold. Let him do things that would bring unity to Nigerians and not what generates controversy. I am advising the CBN governor to do things that would bring unity to the country.”
[/b]

http://africanspotlight.com/2011/08/christian-association-of-nigeria-wants-christian-banking-after-swedish-model/
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by Afam4eva(m): 2:36am On Aug 26, 2011
Lol
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by volasunkan: 2:42am On Aug 26, 2011
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by ekubear1: 2:56am On Aug 26, 2011
I agree with him.

Any federal government funds spent on Islamic banking (rather than a secular, non-interest banking) should be matched by funds on Christian banking.

Personally I think the idea of religious banking is dumb. But if they want to spend billions promoting one religion, then they'd better spend the exact same amount promoting another.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by premechaz: 3:01am On Aug 26, 2011
EPIC fail

D.O.A
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by udezue(m): 3:10am On Aug 26, 2011
Solid
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by adamabdul: 3:15am On Aug 26, 2011
Animal is an understatement
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by koruji(m): 3:21am On Aug 26, 2011
Seconded. I expect maclatunji to say Christians are jealous, forgetting the principles of equity and fairness.

eku_bear:

I agree with him.

Any federal government funds spent on Islamic banking (rather than a secular, non-interest banking) should be matched by funds on Christian banking.

Personally I think the idea of religious banking is dumb. But if they want to spend billions promoting one religion, then they'd better spend the exact same amount promoting another.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by edoyad(m): 3:31am On Aug 26, 2011
Motive might not be honourable, but at the end of the day as long as jobs are created, ride on.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by hercules07: 3:39am On Aug 26, 2011
@eku

You do not want government to put money in Islamic banking but you are comfortable with Sanusi bailing out banks headed by pastors abi, your hatred for Islam is not a good thing, I will rather government puts money in any venture that is profitable, I do not care if it is Islamic banking or Christian banking. The CAN president is just a noisemaker, he should face his job rather than trying to play politics.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by ekubear1: 4:27am On Aug 26, 2011
Bank headed by pastor = religious?

Is he lending money according to some religious principle or profit-making principle?

Let us not trivialize the matter by comparing a bank run by a CEO who happens to be a pastor with sharia banking.

Or if it turns out that Warren Buffett is a pastor at his church, does that mean Berkshire Hathaway is a Christian financial institution too?  undecided
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by premechaz: 4:36am On Aug 26, 2011
hercules07:

@eku

You do not want government to put money in Islamic banking but you are comfortable with Sanusi bailing out banks headed by pastors abi, your hatred for Islam is not a good thing, I will rather government puts money in any venture that is profitable, I do not care if it is Islamic banking or Christian banking. The CAN president is just a noisemaker, he should face his job rather than trying to play politics.

The guy is something else. He doesnt really know what he is talking about, maybe he did not consult Katsumoto before posting. Who knows?

Very inconsistent guy.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by koruji(m): 4:37am On Aug 26, 2011
You mean all the banks in Nigeria are headed by pastors? In any case this is beside the point - the CBN has no business using the nation's fund to promote any kind of bank. If he does, as he has certainly done, then he needs to spend the same amount promoting other banks a.k.a "Christian Banking".

He he he he he he he.

hercules07:

@eku

Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by efisher(m): 4:53am On Aug 26, 2011
Mr. Hercules, can you tell us what you think the job of CAN president is? I guess you don't even know cos if you did, you will know that this is a major part of his job. Protecting and representing the interests of christians in a multi-religious society. If he doesn't do this, that is when we will say he is not doing his job. Do some research before posting.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by ekubear1: 5:37am On Aug 26, 2011
premechaz:

The guy is something else. He doesnt really know what he is talking about, maybe he did not consult Katsumoto before posting. Who knows?

Very inconsistent guy.

Either I'm inconsistent, or you are too stvpid to understand the point being made. One of the two.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by premechaz: 5:48am On Aug 26, 2011
eku_bear:

Either I'm inconsistent, or you are too stvpid to understand the point being made. One of the two.

So you dont think Akingbola heading Intercontinental makes intercontinental a christian bank?

It is obvious i am too stvpid to understand what is being made. grin
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by ekubear1: 5:52am On Aug 26, 2011
How the fvck does him being a pastor on the side make the bank a CHRISTIAN BANK?

The family friend of mine who has his own firm but is a pastor at his own church, is his firm Christian?

If the CEO of Microsoft is Christian, does that make the COMPANY Christian too?

Is he only lending money to Christians? Does he govern the bank by Christian banking principles?

What sort of brainless reasoning is this?
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by ekubear1: 5:54am On Aug 26, 2011
Here is the man's profile from Business Week:

Erastus B. O. Akingbola FCIB, FNIM, FCS, MON served as the Managing Director/ Chief Executive of Intercontinental Bank Plc (formerly Nigerian Intercontinental Merchant Bank Limited) since 1989. Dr. Akingbola has over 31 years continuous banking practice embracing commercial banking, merchant banking, discount house operations, leasing and insurance. He started his banking career with Barclays Bank (Union Bank ) in 1971and rose to the position of Assistant Accountant in 1977, before leaving for NAL Merchant Bank Limited as Executive Assistant in the Operations Department. He rose rapidly at NAL, Becoming a Senior Manager in 1984. Dr. Akingbola joined First City Merchant Bank Limited in 1987 and served as its Controller of Operations from 1987 to 1989. He serves as the Chairman, Intercontinental Securities Limited, Associated Discount House Limited and Tropics Finance Limited. He serves as Vice Chairman of Intercontinental Bank Plc. He serves as a Director of Intercontinental WAPIC Insurance Plc. He serves as a Director of Equity Bank Nigeria Limited, West African Provincial Insurance Company and Gateway Bank Plc. Dr. Akingbola belongs to several professional organisations and served as President, Lagos Business School Alumni Association (1998-2000), the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Adminstrators of Nigeria (ICSAN). He was recently conferred with the national honour of Member of the Order of the Niger (MON) BY president Obasanjo inrecognition of his monumental contributions to the development of the Nigerian economy. Dr . Akingbola has attended several banking and executive management courses both locally and internationally in the USA (Harvard Business School), France, Switzerland, Singapore, Britain etc. Dr. Akingbola, holds an MBA from the University of Lagos in 1986. Dr. Akingbola is a fellow of both the Chartered Institute of Bankers, London and Nigeria, the Nigerian Institute of Management and the Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators of Nigeria (ICSAN).
http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=26253126&ticker=INTERCON:NL

So by virtue of this man also being a pastor at his church, something part of his PRIVATE LIFE, then the company he happens to be MD of becomes a Christian bank?

Na wa o

Supposedly 70% or so of students are failing WAEC. . . I am starting to understand why
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by ekubear1: 5:57am On Aug 26, 2011
If the president of a bank is Christian, I guess it is a Christian bank. If he then changes from Protestant church to Catholic church, is it now a Catholic bank?

If he becomes an atheist, I suppose it is an atheist bank now? grin grin grin
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by premechaz: 6:01am On Aug 26, 2011
eku_bear:

Here is the man's profile from Business Week:
http://investing.businessweek.com/research/stocks/people/person.asp?personId=26253126&ticker=INTERCON:NL

So by virtue of this man also being a pastor at his church, something part of his PRIVATE LIFE, then the company he happens to be MD of becomes a Christian bank?

Na wa o

Supposedly 70% or so of students are failing WAEC. . . I am starting to understand why

Funny. What else do you know about Akingbola. You get your information from Business Week. I get my information from knowing people working at Intercontinental, his radio station, and from people close to him.

Obviously, I am not the only one taking this position. If only you would sit back and try to understand things the Nigerian way. You look at everything from the US POV. And yes, without mincing words, Intercontinental is a Christian bank.   grin
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by premechaz: 6:04am On Aug 26, 2011
We gathered that top banker confessed recently that most of the things he reads in the Bible help him to run the bank. Also, we gathered that doesn't joke with Redeemed Church activates. For instance, he goes to church on Saturdays for Sunday school review and ministers meeting. On Sundays, he leaves his home for church by 6:30am to start workers meeting. Thereafter, he attends kiddies Sunday school. After that, he goes back to school till 1pm. Then he comes back for evening service. He also travels across the world preaching and winning souls for Christ

http://www.modernghana.com/lifestyle/1407/16/my-life-as-redeemed-church-pastor-intercontinental.html

Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by ekubear1: 6:06am On Aug 26, 2011
Demonstrate that he only hired Christians, lent money according to Christian principles, etc before you call it a Christian bank.

Anyway, Christianity is a fairly fragmented religion. Saying "Christian" bank wouldn't even mean much. Are you saying that as a Catholic he was biased in favor of Catholics? Or only hired other Jehovah's Witnesses?

Wtf does Christian bank even mean, when Christianity is fairly fragmented itself?
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by premechaz: 6:09am On Aug 26, 2011
eku_bear:

Demonstrate that he only hired Christians, lent money according to Christian principles, etc before you call it a Christian bank.

He has alluded to something like this in the past, on TV. But hey, Business week baby! grin

Anyway, Christianity is a fairly fragmented religion. Saying "Christian" bank wouldn't even mean much. Are you saying that as a Catholic he was biased in favor of Catholics? Or only hired other Jehovah's Witnesses?

Wtf does Christian bank even mean, when Christianity is fairly fragmented itself?

Now we are now shifting the goal post? cheesy I tell ya, Kobo has nothing on you.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by ekubear1: 6:12am On Aug 26, 2011

Many people don't know that the managing director of wave-making intercontinental Bank, Mr. Erastus Akingbola is a born again Christian and Redeemed Church Pastor. We heard that the top banker cum man of God runs the strong financial institution with all sense of sincerity and fairness to all, no matter your status.

For instance, if a security guard or driver is seriously ill and needs to seek medical attention abroad, intercontinental Bank under his leadership will fly the staff overseas for the treatment and foot the bills. This explains why the bank staffs are so committed and passionate about their job. We were told that the boss adheres strictly to the basic principle of 'Do unto your neighbour as you want them to do unto you'. He is very careful about the way he treats both customers and workers of the bank. Also, he takes the statement made by Jesus Christ that we should not be sinful in our business very serious. He also observes that parables of returns and rewards as stated by Jesus Christ in the Bible.

We gathered that top banker confessed recently that most of the things he reads in the Bible help him to run the bank.

What does that bolded statement mean? From context, it seems to be referring more to his treatment of others at the bank. Not any lending rules. Or are you alleging that he follows some rule from the Bible when he lends money?

Are you going to actually prove/demonstrate this? Or will it just be innuendo?
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by premechaz: 6:17am On Aug 26, 2011
Dr Akingbola is the Madoff of Nigerian banking, a crook who brazenly diverted funds to his wife’s companies while emasculating all his top management executives. He hides behind the cloak of religiosity using his “Christian” carapace to fool members of the public. He has decimated an institution by refusing to hire competent managers and allowing parochial ethnic and religious considerations to influence key judgements. Even junior staffers of the bank are taught that the bank is built on Jesus and cannot be "pulled down" by detractors. This sort of shallow thinking encourages sloth and inefficiency. How can managers be effective when they are not held accountable for their actions?

http://saharareporters.com/perceptor-page/fall-erastus-akingbola

All these things are well known in Nigeria. Intercontinental is a christian institution. period.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by ekubear1: 6:21am On Aug 26, 2011
premechaz:

He has alluded to something like this in the past, on TV. But hey, Business week baby! grin
Which of those 3 I mentioned has he SAID he did?

Allusion, innuendo. Give us something CONCRETE.

What you may or may not have heard on the radio when you were high on cow dung isn't going to cut it.

Now we are now shifting the goal post? cheesy I tell ya, Kobo has nothing on you.
"Christian" bank as a statement doesn't make much sense, because the religion is fragmented. Do you understand this point, or not? If he is a Mormon (who believe in a prophet called John Smith, that God gave a new testament to John Smith in the 1800s on golden tablets, that the Native Americans are actually the descendants of Jews who travelled to North America around 600AD or so, and supposedly also believe in some sort of alien sh1t) versus being a Catholic (I actually don't know much about Catholicism actually), then the amount of religious overlap will not be that much.

I don't even want to get into the customs that Jehovah's Witnesses have. You know for example that a Jehovah's Witness will not let a non-JH lead them in prayer?

So what does "Christian" bank even mean? Give us a DEFINITION of Christian bank.

My suspicion is that you think "Pastor" means the same thing as "Imam" or some sort of Muslim religious leader. Being a pastor won't necessarily affect your day job. . . you still have to go to work M-F and do whatever else you do in your career.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by ekubear1: 6:22am On Aug 26, 2011
premechaz:

All these things are well known in Nigeria. Intercontinental is a christian institution. period.

OK, finally something concrete. An accusation of him using religion to determine who he hires.

Alright. Will look into this and see if it is true.

BTW, many things are "well known" in Nigeria. But what is "well known" often turns out to be the opposite of the truth.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by ekubear1: 6:23am On Aug 26, 2011
I also want a definition from you of what exactly a Christian bank is. That way we'll be using the same terminology.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by dustydee: 8:47am On Aug 26, 2011
This is petty.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by hakanai(m): 9:52am On Aug 26, 2011
why not set it according to CAN model or christian model !!!!
Let us be abeg.Islamic banking has come and will be.You can jump ,shout or set up a CAN banking system.We don't really care.What we care about is enjoying the Islamic banking services and it is our right too.Since it will not stop you doing your banking task as you choose.Live and Let Live!!!!
Mr. CAN presido!!! aka Anti Islamic bank crusader. undecided undecided undecided undecided
Mr Sunday Mbang,who is heating up the polity other than CAN, under the leadership of this man.He is raising issues where there are non.So why make a fuss over such an issue while addressing a gathering of such.Is it not to place the hate and spread the message that we are at war over this issue and we need you lined up to see our reason to join.If anyone needs restriction about heating the polity is Mr Anti Islamic bank crusader. undecided undecided undecided
CAN president saying that christian should love there Muslim brothers and pray for them is just cheap!!!When i can't do what i want,even when it means nothing to you or disturbs you in anyway.Simply because i like it and is from me. undecided undecided
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by hercules07: 9:58am On Aug 26, 2011
Morning devotion in Intercontinental, Word for Today (Intercontinental) and so on and so forth, the CBN is expected to promote banking, be it Islamic, Ogun, Christian and so on, why do people start shouting because he is promoting a banking system that is prevalent elsewhere, the name Sanusi will kill some people here. Ayo Oritsejafor is a noise maker and he is not representing me, he is only representing his own pocket, has he said anything about Cecilia Ibru, what of Uduaghan and the other killers that infest our Government houses, it is a man that has saved depositor's money, reduced inflation and is trying to introduce a new model of banking that is drawing his ire, shameless person, by the way hope you guys know that RCCG runs a Christian bank called Haggai in their redemption camp.
Re: CAN Plans Christian Banking After Swedish Model by djustice: 10:14am On Aug 26, 2011
premechaz:

Funny. What else do you know about Akingbola. You get your information from Business Week. I get my information from knowing people working at Intercontinental, his radio station, and from people close to him.

Obviously, I am not the only one taking this position. If only you would sit back and try to understand things the Nigerian way. You look at everything from the US POV. And yes, without mincing words, Intercontinental is a Christian bank.   grin

Who is this half-wit??

You obviously drank what they prescribed for you to bathe with, and bathed with what they prescribed for you to drink. Numbskull.

Muttalab is a mallam, and therefore a religious leader. Did that make First Bank an Islamic Bank? When Sanusi, an Islamic Scholar and Mallam, was CEO of First Bank, did it that make it an Islamic Bank?

My friend, it is not by force that you must type something. Go back to school and stop assailing our sensibilities here with your putrid ignorance. Typical Boko Haramist.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Much Is 1 Billion? / Naira Declines By 0.82%, Settle At N370/$ / FIRS, AGF Collaborate To Deduct VAT At Source

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.